Author Topic: Robin Williams commits suicide  (Read 25901 times)

Glue Reed

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 159
Re: Robin Williams commits suicide
« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2014, 07:12:35 PM »
so goddamn sad. 

One of my favorite performances of his was during the first season of Homicide, he played the husband of a murder victim.  First time i had seen him in a serious role and it was seriously moving.  Also, recently listened to the WTF podcast with him and he's a very likeable guy.  Great stand up comedian as well.

Loved him in the Fisher King.

And if you're old enough to remember his debut on Happy Days which lead to Mork n Mindy... nanu nanu.

Rest in Peace

mattofallmatts

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -110
  • "I will not skateboard in the halls"
« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2014, 07:26:10 PM »

RIP

For real tho, Rest in Peace Robin. He battled some gnarly addiction, kicked it. Supported FTC and skateboarding. Dude was down. RIP.

FCN

• Rep: -17
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2014, 07:29:24 PM »
fuck this is shitty.  i was watching some of his early standup a few weeks ago.  he was a naturally talented actor and truly funny.  rest in peace.

ice nine

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -308
« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2014, 07:34:45 PM »
my friend was working crew park on one of his movies, aka 14 hours of standing in a forest watching the crews vehicles while they worked. robin called him over on the first day and gave him a quarter ounce of weed to make his day better. sounded like a pretty sweet man. I also agree with max power, I actually forgot he did those ones. rip
I;m sure i;m not the only dc/monster/subaru type guy here

sexualhelon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 19
  • I'm an ardent supporter of futile causes.
    • Lurkaround avatar image
« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2014, 07:35:53 PM »
You can really see it in his face, especially now, with his emotions when you re-watch his movies. The best actors always have the relative experience to pull from in order to reach certain depths and the best comedians are always so depressed. What they say is funny, genuine, but their frustrations are relative to so many people who just don't have the courage to stand up and say it to the world. They're pulling from something real to them. Jim Carrey's quote come's to mind, "I wish everyone could get rich and famous and do everything they ever dreamed of so they can see it's not the answer". Surely Robin Williams started in comedy and acting because they were his passions, his release, and he never planned to become who he became along with earning what he earned. At this point in his life he had probably done everything he ever dreamed he would do but even before that was never truly happy. It's funny because I talk to some people about traveling the world on the means I had and they say, "wouldn't it have been better to fly in your own private jet, stay in luxurious hotels, have sex with supermodels, etc..." but they forget about the experience, the hardships, and the relationships bonded. It's like when you're younger having sex with every hot girl is your goal, it's great, but then you realize it was never as good as with the woman you actually love even if she's not the most attractive woman you've ever been with. I can see how even a millionaire would be depressed. They can have everything and yet nothing at all.  

RIP Robin Williams

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 153
« Reply #35 on: August 11, 2014, 07:40:56 PM »
so goddamn sad. 

One of my favorite performances of his was during the first season of Homicide, he played the husband of a murder victim.  First time i had seen him in a serious role and it was seriously moving.  Also, recently listened to the WTF podcast with him and he's a very likeable guy.  Great stand up comedian as well.

Loved him in the Fisher King.

And if you're old enough to remember his debut on Happy Days which lead to Mork n Mindy... nanu nanu.

Rest in Peace

One of the best cameos on one of the best shows.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

jorge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -102
« Reply #36 on: August 11, 2014, 07:41:42 PM »
Should have been Dennis Miller instead

pinche gringo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 85
« Reply #37 on: August 11, 2014, 07:58:37 PM »
This is deeply saddening and a true loss. I hope he found the peace he was looking for.

baroque_0bama

• Rep: 21
  • Feathers McGraw
« Reply #38 on: August 11, 2014, 08:28:12 PM »
This one hits hard. The man was so talented and as previously stated by others, you could tell he used his talents to distract himself from inner demons. R.I.P.

pancake man

• Rep: 34
« Reply #39 on: August 11, 2014, 08:36:58 PM »
If I remember correctly, he was diagnosed with Bipolar Disease and was quoted saying something along the lines of the highs were amazing and that his lows were excruciating. It sucks, but when one battles a disorder they sometimes only see one way out

the snake

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 348
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #40 on: August 11, 2014, 10:32:24 PM »

RIP

Carrolls Chesthairs

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 117

Tracer

• Rep: -65309
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #42 on: August 11, 2014, 11:01:30 PM »
Expand Quote
What a selfish little pussy
[close]
Weren't you the one saying how devoed you were that your neighbour topped himself like a week ago?

Pretty sad about this news. Amazing actor and always seemed like a rad dude. It sucks that a man who had the ability to make all of us so happy couldn't be happy himself. :(
Yeah you want to talk about my dead neighbor that's fine, it hurt me period. Like any other poster wouldn't be upset about something like that. Picture your neighbor you see everyday just kills themself, it's never a pretty picture, but you don't expect some dum dum talking shit across the country.

dirtyweemidden

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 59
« Reply #43 on: August 12, 2014, 01:22:16 AM »
sucks so much :(

gonna have to watch a few of his movies this week

via

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 239
« Reply #44 on: August 12, 2014, 01:25:54 AM »

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
« Reply #45 on: August 12, 2014, 02:24:19 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
Weren't you the one saying how devoed you were that your neighbour topped himself like a week ago?

Pretty sad about this news. Amazing actor and always seemed like a rad dude. It sucks that a man who had the ability to make all of us so happy couldn't be happy himself. :(
[close]
Yeah you want to talk about my dead neighbor that's fine, it hurt me period. Like any other poster wouldn't be upset about something like that. Picture your neighbor you see everyday just kills themself, it's never a pretty picture, but you don't expect some dum dum talking shit across the country.
Then why would you call someone who killed themselves a selfish pussy? I normally don't mind your regular act, but your last two statements add up to one of the dumbest and hypocritical things I've seen.  Robin was a great actor who while I didn't really watch anything of his lately, I still remember all the movies of his I watched in my childhood from his voice acting as the genie in Aladin to the oversized kid in Jack. May he rest in peace. Speaking of good Robin Williams stories I love the one Questlove of the Roots posted

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/robin-williams-a-roots-fan-questlove-recalls-an-unlikely-admirer-20140811

GeorgeCostanza

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -16
« Reply #46 on: August 12, 2014, 03:10:31 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]
Then why would you call someone who killed themselves a selfish pussy? I normally don't mind your regular act, but your last two statements add up to one of the dumbest and hypocritical things I've seen.  Robin was a great actor who while I didn't really watch anything of his lately, I still remember all the movies of his I watched in my childhood from his voice acting as the genie in Aladin to the oversized kid in Jack. May he rest in peace. Speaking of good Robin Williams stories I love the one Questlove of the Roots posted

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/robin-williams-a-roots-fan-questlove-recalls-an-unlikely-admirer-20140811

I'm not defending tracer, but suicide is a very selfish act towards the people affected by it, I don't get how people can do it without thinking of the pain and suffering they will leave behind for others; but I also guess being very depressive would lead you to think that others are better off without you. I by no means think people who kill themselves are "pussies" but not seeking help and taking the easy way out can be seen as somewhat cowardly. I had a friend who killed himself and whilst I was upset I also saw it as a very selfish thing to do.
So Colllin have the same t-shirts, seven years by now, at least...

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
« Reply #47 on: August 12, 2014, 03:38:48 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

I'm not defending tracer, but suicide is a very selfish act towards the people affected by it, I don't get how people can do it without thinking of the pain and suffering they will leave behind for others; but I also guess being very depressive would lead you to think that others are better off without you. I by no means think people who kill themselves are "pussies" but not seeking help and taking the easy way out can be seen as somewhat cowardly. I had a friend who killed himself and whilst I was upset I also saw it as a very selfish thing to do.
Saying its selfish is one thing because that has some truth to it. But being blatantly disrespectful when you've encountered the damage it can leave behind first hand is another.

Monty Burns

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -324
  • Release the hounds
« Reply #48 on: August 12, 2014, 03:46:30 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

I do believe people who commit suicide think how it effects other people , its not like they just decide at the spur of the moment that they are going to end it . They are usually caught in a situation / depression so bad that they think the only solution is to end the pain , even though it might hurt others . People who go through years of therapy / counseling and people on correct medication still kill themselves

I dont think its a cowardly thing to do either , its not easy to end your own life .

Another point of view would be that its the survivors who are selfish , a person who doesnt want to live anymore and only has to do it because other people cant handle the loss of them ?. But I do think that with help from friends, family and professionals most people want to stay alive in the end

KoRnholio8

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1466
  • SkateMagArchive
    • SkateMagArchive avatar image
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #49 on: August 12, 2014, 05:21:48 AM »
ok, this is creepy:
http://youtu.be/DiCxqbT2Ru8?t=41m59s

(jump to 41:59 mark)

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #50 on: August 12, 2014, 09:50:55 AM »
From FTC:

Robin Williams sporting DGK....epic.
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin
sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you!

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1085
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #51 on: August 12, 2014, 10:00:20 AM »
http://instagram.com/p/rl91zRErvn/
This was posted on Slam City Skates insta as well.

JB

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 858
  • Rusty Berrings Roll Forever
« Reply #52 on: August 12, 2014, 10:00:58 AM »
so did they determine if he did it by hanging himself? not to sounds like a total dick, but hanging was the first thing that came to my mind when i heard he committed suicide. like everyone has said, you could easily see his misery through his acting and especially his stand up. i feel when people are as depressed as that, they dont choose a method that gives much chance for survival. i know i probably sound fucked up, but i swear im not trying to be a dick or anything, just my thoughts.

on the suicide being selfish thing, i kind of disagree to an extent. i think if someone chooses to end their own life, theyve probably thought about it for a very long time. like someone else already said, its not some spur of the moment thing that people just do after having a bad day. i would assume those people have experienced pain and suffering for so long, much more than most people have dealt with, and have probably held out as long as they could hoping that it will get better, but it just doesnt. not that i think suicide is the right choice for someone in that kind of situation, but if you were that person, do you think you could go on suffering forever just so someone else doesnt have to? i just feel like people have breaking points and i sympathize with that. not saying that i support suicide or anything, but calling someone selfish for taking their own life isnt something i totally agree with.

overall, its a tragic loss. robin williams has been such an amazing entertainer to so many people for such a long time. i cant imagine anyone who hasnt fallen in love with any of his rolls. i know ive enjoyed his acting since i was a child and hes played so many unforgettable rolls. definitely one of the greatest of all time.

Jared

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 59
  • Die Slow
« Reply #53 on: August 12, 2014, 11:33:37 AM »
As someone who's been at the point of suicide and dealt with heavy depression, I was not surprised to hear this. A lot of people are very good at covering it up, which only increases your depression. Suicide ain't no joke, you never know what someone's going through.

harrison ford invented the first car, in America

DISTANT RUMOURS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 394
« Reply #54 on: August 12, 2014, 11:48:08 AM »
I could always see the sorrow he kept beneath the surface. It's always been really palpable.

You are right man... You could see his pain.

Great actor.

_UniversalTruth_

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 42
« Reply #55 on: August 12, 2014, 11:48:52 AM »
i likes skooterboarding.. be lets friends :)

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 141
« Reply #56 on: August 12, 2014, 11:57:48 AM »
From FTC:

And the fact that he bought it at FTC and not Mervyns or some other poser clothing outlet store like Zumiez is fucking awesome! 

skateboardnorth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 27
« Reply #57 on: August 12, 2014, 12:07:46 PM »
It's a shame that he had to go out this way.  I loved a lot of his movies, he was great on screen.

Nosferatu

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
« Reply #58 on: August 12, 2014, 01:55:20 PM »
Expand Quote
From FTC:

[close]

And the fact that he bought it at FTC and not Mervyns or some other poser clothing outlet store like Zumiez is fucking awesome! 

I know someone who was working there that day. Or possibly a different day that he came in and bought a DGK hat. He said it was one of these ones with the red eyes. Pretty rad.

I thought it wasnt just him solo, shouldve stuck with my og thought.
R.I.P Rusty. One of us.

Upgrayedd

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 446
  • Fuck Tom Knox
« Reply #59 on: August 12, 2014, 02:13:52 PM »
Goodnight, oh captain

Slap Gravitational Waveboarding Magazine:
"We can't do it yet, but when we can it'll be sick."
-grim