Author Topic: Robin Williams commits suicide  (Read 25880 times)

LesbianPUNCH

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 25
Re: Robin Williams commits suicide
« Reply #60 on: August 12, 2014, 02:30:09 PM »
This shit has got me twisted up.  I'd have never thought him capable, and yet I'm not surprised all at once.  It's crazy, if this hadn't happened I can confidently say I don't think I'd have ever had another thought of Robin Williams, but now his roles and his work are just flooding my mind and it's kind of overwhelming.  I'm terribly saddened by this news.  I'm pretty sure I'm even guilty of attempting to dislike him (to no avail,) but somehow his goofiness, warmth, and sincerity catch me off guard and before I know it I'm actually enjoying garbage like RV simply because he was a part of it.  Jumanji, Hook, Goodwill Hunting, Dead Poets Society, Patch Adams, What Dreams May Come, Mrs. Doubtfire...  Hell, I just watched The Birdcage just a week or so ago on netflix for the first time.  Rest in peace, Robin.

@thewilleasley

« Reply #61 on: August 12, 2014, 02:55:12 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
From FTC:

Robin Williams sporting DGK....epic.
[close]

And the fact that he bought it at FTC and not Mervyns or some other poser clothing outlet store like Zumiez is fucking awesome! 
[close]

I know someone who was working there that day. Or possibly a different day that he came in and bought a DGK hat. He said it was one of these ones with the red eyes. Pretty rad.

Goddamn you know you're influential when you can buy a hat like that and people on SLAP actually praise you for it lol. RIP to one of the greatest tho

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 140
« Reply #62 on: August 12, 2014, 03:00:31 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
From FTC:

[close]

And the fact that he bought it at FTC and not Mervyns or some other poser clothing outlet store like Zumiez is fucking awesome! 
[close]

I know someone who was working there that day. Or possibly a different day that he came in and bought a DGK hat. He said it was one of these ones with the red eyes. Pretty rad.

[close]

Goddamn you know you're influential when you can buy a hat like that and people on SLAP actually praise you for it lol. RIP to one of the greatest tho

Truth!

White Owl

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 10
« Reply #63 on: August 12, 2014, 03:05:26 PM »
damn this sucks. I need to go watch hook and flubber now

rocketofftopic

• Rep: 37
« Reply #64 on: August 12, 2014, 04:49:35 PM »
no man is truly free if he can't open the door to his own cage.. rest in peace

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1562
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #65 on: August 12, 2014, 05:35:39 PM »
Someone mentioned seeing the pain...which made me think of this clip I remember seeing.....you can see them both just so stoked going off....

http://www.cbsnews.com/videos/1986-jonathan-winters-and-robin-williams-improvise/

To me it sucks losing the guy but I feel worse how he went out.....I think society could do way better when it comes to mental health....

If we treated this shit like cancer or AIDS the world would be a better place.....

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 786
« Reply #66 on: August 12, 2014, 06:09:59 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
From FTC:

[close]

[close]

i remember him rocking a Think hat on Oprah in the early 90's.  I think he was kind of a regular at FTC
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

nice_guy_2

« Reply #67 on: August 12, 2014, 06:47:04 PM »
Someone mentioned seeing the pain...which made me think of this clip I remember seeing.....you can see them both just so stoked going off....

http://www.cbsnews.com/videos/1986-jonathan-winters-and-robin-williams-improvise/

To me it sucks losing the guy but I feel worse how he went out.....I think society could do way better when it comes to mental health....

If we treated this shit like cancer or AIDS the world would be a better place.....

yeah is there even any difference between real diseases and mental 'disorders'

Tracer

• Rep: -65309
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #68 on: August 12, 2014, 07:01:48 PM »
Being super famous must suck ass, can't go anywhere without hordes of people recognizing you. They even remember the minor details like buying a fucking DGK hat at a skateshop.

No privacy, everyone on your nuts 24/7, dealing with agents, taking pictures of you. His mental health and substance use has been in the news for years, it's noone's business. These news stations do more harm then good, do I think paparazzi killed him? No, but they sure played a part.

Imagine having whatever demons and trying to cope with it, it's hard enough and suddenly the entire world knows? Unimaginable pain I would imagine.

abudabi

« Reply #69 on: August 12, 2014, 07:03:41 PM »

this is a great point. western society, or at least what ive known suggests that happiness is found through success. that is false. the truth is that success helps reinforce positive thinking. without positive thinking you dont have shit, the end of robins life being a tragic example.
if you want to be happy, you have to fucking work for it. not physically, although that helps. some people seem to be naturally pre-disposed to depression (runs in families etc). unfortunately for them, they have to fight harder. they must ignore negative thoughts the second they catch themselves thinking them, and think about something else.

it sounds fucking ridiculous for anyone who is going thru it, but its your only option. the longer you let your mind run in negative thought cycles, the deeper the tracks get. these days, being angry is the best i can do most of the time, but im working on it and thats much better than crippling sadness. i see plenty of people on this site who have said they have depression issues do nothing about it and treat it like the world owes them happiness, and everyone else has just been blessed with happiness.

anti depressants have been shown to be roughly as helpful as placebos, except in rare cases.
honestly i think the only thing you can do for someone is call them out on their bullshit mental patterns (that is, if you can even recognize them) and show them there is another way of thinking.

look into buddhism or positive thinking literature if this shit hurts you. all it teaches is that you have control of your mind, not anyone or anything else.

fucking smile, even if it feels regular. it will make you feel better.

edited to change a typo
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 07:05:33 PM by abudabi »

Glue Reed

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 159
« Reply #70 on: August 12, 2014, 07:20:14 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
this is a great point. western society, or at least what ive known suggests that happiness is found through success. that is false. the truth is that success helps reinforce positive thinking. without positive thinking you dont have shit, the end of robins life being a tragic example.
if you want to be happy, you have to fucking work for it. not physically, although that helps. some people seem to be naturally pre-disposed to depression (runs in families etc). unfortunately for them, they have to fight harder. they must ignore negative thoughts the second they catch themselves thinking them, and think about something else.

it sounds fucking ridiculous for anyone who is going thru it, but its your only option. the longer you let your mind run in negative thought cycles, the deeper the tracks get. these days, being angry is the best i can do most of the time, but im working on it and thats much better than crippling sadness. i see plenty of people on this site who have said they have depression issues do nothing about it and treat it like the world owes them happiness, and everyone else has just been blessed with happiness.

anti depressants have been shown to be roughly as helpful as placebos, except in rare cases.
honestly i think the only thing you can do for someone is call them out on their bullshit mental patterns (that is, if you can even recognize them) and show them there is another way of thinking.

look into buddhism or positive thinking literature if this shit hurts you. all it teaches is that you have control of your mind, not anyone or anything else.

fucking smile, even if it feels regular. it will make you feel better.

edited to change a typo

this is an excellent post

tobey

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 4

_UniversalTruth_

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 42
« Reply #72 on: August 13, 2014, 01:39:40 AM »
"You have to view things from another perspective"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzz3RkbHHvg

I remember doing this in primary school, I guess my teacher was a Robin Williams fan.
i likes skooterboarding.. be lets friends :)

mattofallmatts

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -110
  • "I will not skateboard in the halls"
« Reply #73 on: August 13, 2014, 11:32:54 AM »

Ollie Ringwald

• Rep: -3
« Reply #74 on: August 13, 2014, 12:19:15 PM »
Unimaginable pain I would imagine.

Woah..

L33Tg33k

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 698
  • F.A.P. - Forever Alone Party
« Reply #75 on: August 13, 2014, 12:45:20 PM »
Even as a diagnosed Major Depressive I find myself constantly questioning if depression is real thing. Then I think about what I perceive to be the definition of disease or disorder. I think, isn't the desire to harm oneself a harmful thing and thereby ailment? I don't know. I don't think I'll ever know.
Before you say the music sucked, have you considered shutting the fuck up?

pinche gringo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 84
« Reply #76 on: August 13, 2014, 01:04:13 PM »
^ It is real. I've struggled with it since puberty. I still sometimes have thoughts of suicide but I've found ways of distracting myself from that negativity. Skateboarding, art, and playing music are my distractions and the building blocks of my life. I've equated it to being an escape artist. I have a wonderful wife who deserves someone who is not a mess. I realized after losing a close friend to suicide that it was my responsibility to find happiness and to fight my tendency to be cynical and misanthropic. I'm kind of a shut in if I let myself be.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 01:26:15 PM by pinche gringo »

The Nose Face

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 8
« Reply #77 on: August 13, 2014, 02:38:40 PM »
Sucks man...

woodsman

• Rep: 65
« Reply #78 on: August 13, 2014, 04:02:22 PM »
Most people who commit suicide have been battling the thought of doing it for a long time. My little brother hanged himself and the first thing I had to do was forgive him. I posted something about it on here and everyone was really kind in their responses. That's why I love this board. Everyone can talk shit but most pals come together when something real shitty happens. I also saw Robin Williams on 19th and Geary one day and I did a double take, he gave me a smile and then took his little boy into the comic book store. RIP

abudabi

« Reply #79 on: August 13, 2014, 04:14:18 PM »
^ It is real. I've struggled with it since puberty. I still sometimes have thoughts of suicide but I've found ways of distracting myself from that negativity. Skateboarding, art, and playing music are my distractions and the building blocks of my life. I've equated it to being an escape artist. I have a wonderful wife who deserves someone who is not a mess. I realized after losing a close friend to suicide that it was my responsibility to find happiness and to fight my tendency to be cynical and misanthropic. I'm kind of a shut in if I let myself be.
shit man i relate to you entirely.
its important to realize that you can destroy yourself if you let your mind roam free.
ive been in places where i thought suicide was inevitable, but only because that was the option i was constantly presenting myself.

im still afraid that its gonna come back (its come back a lot of times) but when i actually look after myself (no drugs, eating somewhat decently, sleeping etc) it seems to stay away. i am lucky.

i have to admit i have never met someone who is severely depressed that is doing everything they can for themselves, but im sure they are out there.

it is really hard to do everything you can for yourself, i dont wanna sound like i am judging anyone for how they live.
the worst part is that it has a sickening momentum. the more depressed you get, the less you feel like caring so you get more and more depressed as you give up on shit.

shark tits

« Reply #80 on: August 13, 2014, 07:26:26 PM »
Most people who commit suicide have been battling the thought of doing it for a long time. My little brother hanged himself and the first thing I had to do was forgive him. I posted something about it on here and everyone was really kind in their responses. That's why I love this board. Everyone can talk shit but most pals come together when something real shitty happens. I also saw Robin Williams on 19th and Geary one day and I did a double take, he gave me a smile and then took his little boy into the comic book store. RIP
jeesh woodsman, my heart goes out to ya guy!
i have every reason to dislike my younger brother but that would be hard to deal w/ even though longterm i think it'd be a boon to the family [objectively]. i'm no ayn rand though, so i can imagine that being one of the more terrible things to go through.
i support suicide in theory, try everything and if nothing cheers you up......
i keep it in mind constantly, an escape valve if i get too isolated or too deep of doodoo. if i had to do 10 yrs or more i'd prolly try to off myself. i think wanting to outlive enemies will keep me from doing it for a while although i'm kinda 'happy go lucky' when i shoot up and by the grace of good people around me i've been brought back to life a dozen plus times.
i'd try to talk anyone out of it but that's my selfishness. 'stick around you bring some measure of happiness to me'.

tobey

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 4
« Reply #81 on: August 13, 2014, 10:39:47 PM »
his daughter, Allison Williams, just quit all of social media because she was being cyber bullied about her dad's death.

People just suck

Tracer

• Rep: -65309
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #82 on: August 13, 2014, 10:41:54 PM »
his daughter, Allison Williams, just quit all of social media because she was being cyber bullied about her dad's death.

People just suck
Her name is Zelda, ZELDA!

dirtyweemidden

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 59
« Reply #83 on: August 14, 2014, 01:54:32 AM »

People just suck

agreed... how do people come to feel its perfectly fine to harrass someone about the death of a partent.. famous or otherwise its fucking rediculous!

people like that should be crucified

Goblinshark

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 100
  • It's a trap!
« Reply #84 on: August 14, 2014, 02:13:35 AM »
this is some freaky shit. Thread started last week about him dying.

http://www.ign.com/boards/threads/are-people-bracing-themselves-for-the-fact-that-robin-williams-will-die-soon.454158743/

like most of you on here, the man basically owns the majority of my childhood and i'm genuinely grieving for the old dear friend I never met.  RIP Mr. Williams
Stephen Alcala: chris cole anit a loser
Stephen Alcala: frank grewer is an alcholic
Stephen Alcala: LOSER

BARGAIN_SHOPPER

• Rep: -11
« Reply #85 on: August 14, 2014, 03:33:33 AM »
does no one else think suicide is for pussies????
i mean fuck... i liked Jack, Hook, and Popeye just as much as the next grown man thats crying about his death but seriously??? 
none of his fans, including us, were enough to make him not kill himself, so make like a belt and tighten up...
plus for all we know he didnt even kill himself and was just another illuminati sacrifice....  ::)
fuck it have a corndog.

Nick

• Rep: 0
« Reply #86 on: August 14, 2014, 06:39:51 AM »
please don't joke about suffering so cruelly. please, it hurts my heart to see it and I cannot (due to my enfeebled will) imagine how it hurts the jokers heart to make such meanness said.
I watched Good Will Hunting last night, and I feel really present. I contacted my father, and we concluded our talk with our catchphrase "ever stalwart".
I think about Hook and Dead Poet's, I think about dead poets, I think about actors, I think about humans, I think about animals and ecosystems, and I think about space, far and quiet, and connected with rippling peace (although as cataclysmic as a sun, and nebulous as night as well).
I was strolling the city (Richmond, VA) last night, and I visited an outlook of the James River, and I really just brooded upon the strange and touching thought that Robin Williams, like any other accomplished human, is yet another creature looking for a way home, which happened to be lit with stardom, maybe in confusing light, maybe in distracting light. And I thought about the quote of Jim Carrey mentioned in an earlier post in this thread. The answer is a continuous question of love. ahhh, such tragic, and beautiful life...
let us be honest and courageous and share open heart compassion, not defensive heart attacks. please.

what will y'all's verse be?

Mark Renton

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 288
  • Choose life.
« Reply #87 on: August 14, 2014, 06:47:11 AM »
I couldn't believe it. Depression is lame.
video tape yourself saving monks. dont just do it. make sure its caught on film.

Carrolls Chesthairs

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 115
« Reply #88 on: August 14, 2014, 07:40:26 AM »
Expand Quote

People just suck
[close]
Her name is Zelda, ZELDA!

Robin Williams Zelda Ad #1
 :'(

floop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -28
  • the things I do for my fucking friends!
« Reply #89 on: August 14, 2014, 09:59:58 AM »
it's still weird seeing this as a thread title.  seems like a bad joke

"Every time I read one of your shitty posts I wonder why I am wasting my time looking at SLAP."