Author Topic: Italy  (Read 7823 times)

Kang of the Grundle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 0
Italy
« on: August 18, 2014, 04:51:26 PM »
I'm going to Italy at the end of the week and really have no idea what the situation is for skating. Are spots a bust, is the ground fucked, all the basics really. Which cities are particularly good for skating?

Also, any actual Italy specific travel advice would be great, I hate to say I don't know that much about the country. I've got close to three weeks so plenty of time to move around.

Sorry if there's already an Italy post, I couldn't find it.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 04:55:03 PM by Kang of the Grundle »

Mark Renton

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 288
  • Choose life.
Re: Italy
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2014, 05:57:34 AM »
Milan is the best city for skating, I mean it has this bad boy:

it's similar to Pulaski and Love but... you can skate it 24/7 bust free.

Go to Tuscany and eat and drink your life out.
Also the more you go south the more you should check before crossing the streets, even at lights.
video tape yourself saving monks. dont just do it. make sure its caught on film.

Kang of the Grundle

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2014, 05:06:57 PM »
I'll Definitely check out Cinque Terre.

And that plaza in Milan is just godamnnnn...

Monty Burns

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -324
  • Release the hounds
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2014, 04:45:49 PM »

Also the more you go south the more you should check before crossing the streets, even at lights.

I used to spend all my days off there , skating , reading books and sleeping in the sun , bottom square of grass was my spot !

tortfeasor

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 341
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2017, 02:08:24 PM »
sorry to bump this thread.  doing italy east to west next june current plan is most likely vience, Bologna, florance, and end at one of the costal towns that has a ferry to Corsica (spending a week there after italy).  there is a lot of flexiblity.

is there good skating that i should map into my trip or should I just focus on eating/drinking wine/nerding out on history?
more heaven-cruise than hell-ride.

happenstance

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 690
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2017, 04:18:34 PM »
Unrelated, but Niki de Saint Phalle's Tarot Garden in Tuscany is on my bucket list of places to visit.

Lobo

• Rep: 2
  • Skate and die !
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2017, 04:43:00 PM »

Rent Boy hit it !!
Milan is the shit, almost all the city centre is under the roof cos it`s like the fashion mecca of yurp and all the sexy bitches need to walk that expensive high heel shoes somewhere,so the pavement is smooth as baby`s ass and if it rains you have a lot of places to skate at and did I mention all the sexy bitches?!

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1359
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2017, 07:30:08 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Rent Boy hit it !!
Milan is the shit, almost all the city centre is under the roof cos it`s like the fashion mecca of yurp and all the sexy bitches need to walk that expensive high heel shoes somewhere,so the pavement is smooth as baby`s ass and if it rains you have a lot of places to skate at and did I mention all the sexy bitches?!

the fashion mecca of yurp

somethingmustbreaknow

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 477
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2017, 12:48:32 AM »
rome is amazing.

doyle

• Rep: 210
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2017, 08:37:32 AM »
sorry to bump this thread.  doing italy east to west next june current plan is most likely vience, Bologna, florance, and end at one of the costal towns that has a ferry to Corsica (spending a week there after italy).  there is a lot of flexiblity.

is there good skating that i should map into my trip or should I just focus on eating/drinking wine/nerding out on history?
I was in Italy for a few weeks this summer, and it seems like the majority of the best skating is in Milan/Sicily (two places I didn't go).

Everywhere we went it seemed tough to find good spots without a guide, and it seemed like there were hardly any other skaters at all. The food/drink made up for it though.

The best spots we found were probably in the South, around Salerno, but people seemed to hate skaters there, too. Rome had some awesome stuff too if you get out of the old downtown area (where the ground is mostly impossible to ride on, anyway).

tortfeasor

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2017, 02:02:30 PM »
Unrelated, but Niki de Saint Phalle's Tarot Garden in Tuscany is on my bucket list of places to visit.

Europeans... how do they work?

Sanka Coffie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 251
  • The best push-cart driver in all of Jamaica
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2017, 10:51:22 AM »
Milan is the best but if you have time take a train to some of the smaller cities closer to the Veneto region. Bologna and Florence had some cool spots as well

Mark Renton

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 288
  • Choose life.
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2017, 11:17:32 AM »

Hey man, this is one hour north of ferries to Corsica and you should check it out. It's unique.
http://quartersnacks.com/tag/pietrasanta/

I don't know about the other cities. I haven't been to Florence in years as well but there's some good stuff. Bologna got Elbo if you're into gnarly bowls etc. All cities will be packed with people though, especially Venice. Best thing there would be doing a tourist bit and see if you can spot something to skate later. Spot stuff via Insta. Bring big wheels. Enjoy.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 11:16:11 AM by Mark Renton »
video tape yourself saving monks. dont just do it. make sure its caught on film.

tortfeasor

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2017, 12:56:43 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

holy shit this looks amzing. im not sure what the Italian word for gnar is but please take one.

Hey man, this is one hour north of ferries to Corsica and you should check it out. It's unique.
http://quartersnacks.com/tag/pietrasanta/

I don't know about the other cities. I haven't been to Florence in years as well but there's some good stuff. Bologna got Elbo if you're into gnarly bowls etc. All city will be packed with people though, especially Venice. Best thing there would be doing a tourist bit and see if you can spot something to skate later. Spot stuff via Insta. Bring big wheels. Enjoy.

gratze please take uno gnarnino.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 12:58:48 PM by tortfeasor »

Fuckshit.

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2018, 08:49:23 PM »

Hey dude i didn't really skate in Italy but had my board on me, I seen a few spots in Venice, but it was always super crowded. In Florence I was only in the real city centre and i didn't see many spots and once again it was crowded as shit. There was a cool shop there I cannot remember the name but the owner was super helpful and was a skater himself. Im assuming Rome would have a lot of spots. Definitely recommend visiting the Cinque Terre as posted above, absolute post card scenery and the water is amazing!

S.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 63
    • Fotos avatar image
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2018, 05:54:20 AM »
I have spent ten days in Rome skating. It was great. If you go there visit fisheye skateshop in trastevere for directions to spots (of which there are many). You might even be able to join one of the owners, papique, for a session and end up in one of his clips.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-RKy8_r7aQ

Also if you want to save a little bit of money: Have your espressos and paninis at the bar of the cafés and they will only charge you take away prices. When I was in Rome we would have 80 cent espressos all day. So good!

fs overkrook

« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2018, 11:48:05 AM »
I’m moving to Naples at the end of the year. Anybody ever been there?

BarbaraStreisand

• Rep: -12
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2018, 05:03:06 AM »
This is a very old website and I'm not sure how up to date is but that's a good spot directory:

http://www.skatemap.it/#

brbraaah.

ginozz

« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2018, 05:38:42 PM »
Yo chico! I am from east coast Sicily if wanna pass by hollaa!
I must say we have lots smooth spots mainly street skating and few tranny ones instead. It's crazy that any village has something going on but needs kinda more creativity, the architecture it's kinda mixed up narrow streets downhill and shit like that.. Sicily used to be conquered by Greeks Roman and Arabic people in the past.
A lot of people have been here skating!
And I live under an active volcano in the countryside nearby this crazy double set!

meera

• Rep: -2
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2018, 01:56:05 AM »
unrelated post but what is the best shoes for skating ? is nike sb ok ? or should i get a vans instead ?

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2137
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2019, 11:53:28 AM »
Bumping, just got a trip end of March to go through Rome,Tuscany and Venice within 8 days,spending most of the time a half hour near Florence. Getting a rental car, but any points of interest outside of the obvious would be rad

Damn I left my bubbler at my parents house

Giza Butler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 87
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2019, 01:57:06 AM »
http://www.confuzine.com/2013/08/29/land-of-marble-pietrasanta-italy/

Pietrasanta and the surrounding area is worth the visit, a weird marble skate-plaza and several parks and spots in the towns nearby.

Locals are friendly.

Florence doesn't have a skatepark or anything but I could hook you up with the locals too.

Rome has great street spots, there's a shop called 7hills store, skater run, they will happily show you around.

I know it's not updated but this is worth a check:

http://www.skatemap.it/spot/Firenze

The '80s were the worst period. You had these horrible pop bands growing their hair and calling themselves metal.

tortfeasor

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2019, 02:16:49 PM »
Bumping, just got a trip end of March to go through Rome,Tuscany and Venice within 8 days,spending most of the time a half hour near Florence. Getting a rental car, but any points of interest outside of the obvious would be rad

i didnt skate in italy but if you are looking for nonskate tips i have a few.
where in Tuscany? i spent a while exploring the Val d'Orcia region of tuscany and and loved it. ill gladly point you to some great little off the beaten path fort cities if you are in that region.

for Florence by far my favorite day was starting with an espresso at Forte di Belvedere walking around and taking in that view- from there spending a few hours around the bobli gardens and just when i was getting sun swept taking a nice walk through the pitti palace (they are all connected).

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2019, 03:14:42 PM »
http://www.confuzine.com/2013/08/29/land-of-marble-pietrasanta-italy/

Pietrasanta and the surrounding area is worth the visit, a weird marble skate-plaza and several parks and spots in the towns nearby.

Locals are friendly.

Florence doesn't have a skatepark or anything but I could hook you up with the locals too.

Rome has great street spots, there's a shop called 7hills store, skater run, they will happily show you around.

I know it's not updated but this is worth a check:

http://www.skatemap.it/spot/Firenze
Thank you, I'm hoping to get out and skate at least once,I'll be with my wife.

i didnt skate in italy but if you are looking for nonskate tips i have a few.
where in Tuscany? i spent a while exploring the Val d'Orcia region of tuscany and and loved it. ill gladly point you to some great little off the beaten path fort cities if you are in that region.

for Florence by far my favorite day was starting with an espresso at Forte di Belvedere walking around and taking in that view- from there spending a few hours around the bobli gardens and just when i was getting sun swept taking a nice walk through the pitti palace (they are all connected).

I'll be in Reggello,but I will look that all up. Starting to map out places of interest and whatnot. That sounds cool,thanks man! Probably going to make the drive to Pisa somewhere inbetween our stay and hit a vineyard or cheese making tour

Giza Butler

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2019, 03:28:40 AM »
Well, being in Reggello you'll be immerged in wine country.

My suggestion is to go the smaller towns, they will always have a little gem (bar, restaurant or local food producer).

If you want I can get a list of good places to visit for both food and culture in Florence as my old housemate is from there.

The '80s were the worst period. You had these horrible pop bands growing their hair and calling themselves metal.

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2019, 06:21:52 AM »
Well, being in Reggello you'll be immerged in wine country.

My suggestion is to go the smaller towns, they will always have a little gem (bar, restaurant or local food producer).

If you want I can get a list of good places to visit for both food and culture in Florence as my old housemate is from there.
That would be greatly appreciated,gnars in advance!

tortfeasor

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2019, 07:21:37 AM »

I'll be in Reggello,but I will look that all up. Starting to map out places of interest and whatnot. That sounds cool,thanks man! Probably going to make the drive to Pisa somewhere inbetween our stay and hit a vineyard or cheese making tour

thats about an hour north of where i was staying at.  if you are willing to treck out south (which you should because the driving in Tuscany is amazing), Monticchiello (my favorite little town), Pienza, and Montepulciano would make a hell of day trip.  my best tip for Tuscany is not to plan too much and every time you see a brown sign (historical landmark) that looks interesting just check out it.  we ended up at so many places i had never heard of that were amazing.  one led us to the Chapel Vitaleta which is just one of the coolest outdoor spaces i had ever seen.

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2019, 01:02:35 PM »
You all are the best! Got a lot of places saved, thank you Tort. We're driving from Rome to Reggello and I'm pretty sure we're going to pass a lot of the towns/sights you mentioned. Giza we definitely would like to keep it local/lowkey with where we eat and drink at, I really like getting the best vibe out of where ever I travel.

Giza Butler

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2019, 04:56:36 AM »
Hey, sorry but I was away for work.

here's what he sent me regarding food in Florence:

- Antico Vinaino
- Inside Sant Ambrogio market "Osteria da Rocco"
- Fuoripiazza
- Spera one of the best pizzas there

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2019, 05:47:08 AM »
Hey, sorry but I was away for work.

here's what he sent me regarding food in Florence:

- Antico Vinaino
- Inside Sant Ambrogio market "Osteria da Rocco"
- Fuoripiazza
- Spera one of the best pizzas there
It's casual, thank you again! Looking forward to my trip!