Author Topic: Why don't baseplates have built in nuts/threading?  (Read 4319 times)

Rusty_Berrings

Why don't baseplates have built in nuts/threading?
« on: September 03, 2014, 11:40:58 PM »
Then we'd have to make a whole lot less hardware, might lose less bolts too.

the snake

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 350
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Re: Why don't baseplates have built in nuts/threading?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2014, 02:11:16 AM »

and

« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 02:56:19 AM by the snake »

Rusty_Berrings

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2014, 02:59:49 AM »
if i owned a hardware company i could agree. however, imagine needing one less wrench to set a board up.

the snake

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 350
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2014, 03:25:47 AM »
Tork trucks have built-in nuts blockers

built in threading is an interesting idea but it's not reliable enough in my opinion, you can't crank hardware tightly by the head without damaging them
« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 03:30:47 AM by the snake »

Rusty_Berrings

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2014, 05:50:59 AM »
So that truck essentially has the tool built into it. I don't see how that's any more reliable than having the nut built in. if you can get that to work, than you can def get the nut built into work, someone would obviously have to redesign the whole truck, i think in the end it would be worth it though.

dgus138

• Rep: 7
    • Plains Hardware avatar image
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2014, 08:21:35 AM »
The vinyl insert in the nut is essentially what keeps the bolts tight. After you've tightened them down over and over that vinyl breaks down and your bolts start coming loose. The type of nuts we use for hardware are technically only ever meant to be tightened once, after that they won't hold the same again. You'd have to have a way to replace that vinyl insert or your bolts would never stay tight. If baseplates had threading in them you could use loctite or something like that but in my opinion that would be more work than just screwing a nut on.

Bloody Matt

• Rep: -41
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2014, 02:49:16 PM »
I'm assume that tapping the thread would increase the cost of a truck. Also, if you stripped the threading in your truck that would be pretty annoying.

Rusty_Berrings

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2014, 03:06:37 PM »
The vinyl insert in the nut is essentially what keeps the bolts tight. After you've tightened them down over and over that vinyl breaks down and your bolts start coming loose. The type of nuts we use for hardware are technically only ever meant to be tightened once, after that they won't hold the same again. You'd have to have a way to replace that vinyl insert or your bolts would never stay tight. If baseplates had threading in them you could use loctite or something like that but in my opinion that would be more work than just screwing a nut on.
i know about the plastic insert on the nut, have you ever seen a "t nut" before though? they work pretty good for holding things together and from what I can tell they don't have the nylon insert in them.

Bill

• Rep: -32
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2014, 11:08:34 PM »
Sorry to break the news but every idea you've thought of has already been done as a gimmick in the late 70's & 80's, All those idea's never caught on for a reason

Rule #1

Fashion Never Function

Rusty_Berrings

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2014, 12:16:27 AM »
Sorry to break the news but every idea you've thought of has already been done as a gimmick in the late 70's & 80's, All those idea's never caught on for a reason

you're on coke.

Filip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -57
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2014, 03:23:01 AM »
Out of all people, I think that you ,Rusty,  can make this a reality.

Rusty_Berrings

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2014, 04:08:21 AM »
Out of all people, I think that you ,Rusty,  can make this a reality.

maybe i'll superglue some T NUTS into some baseplates with stretched out bolt holes. so ghetto it might just work.

dgus138

• Rep: 7
    • Plains Hardware avatar image
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2014, 08:34:19 AM »
I guess a T nut could work, but do you want that digging into your board?

Something like these Flexloc nuts could work if they were built into baseplates. I would still question how tight they would stay after tightening/loosening a few times, but they would definitely work for a while.

Rusty_Berrings

« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2014, 11:13:08 AM »
i already rock some t-nuts on my freestyle setup to hold the skidplates on, they're not usually entirely flush so i was kind've joking about doing a ghetto rig with them glued into the baseplate. i think you thought i meant nailing em ontop of the griptape. which would be cool and then you do the bolts into the baseplate, unfortunately i think shoes would catch a lot on that. i just think the idea of the nut built into the baseplate would save a lot of time, i guess that Tork truck is probably good enough. anyone know how they skate? heavy trucks?

Chavo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 219
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2014, 06:09:44 PM »

"One tool" inventions over the years:

T-bolts: nut hammered into the top of the board (held by protrusions) and the screw went in from the truck. With no nylock, they easily came loose. You also had to swap out a ratchet for a hammer.

Powell Rat nuts: plastic rail hardware re-engineered for trucks. You had to re-drill a bigger hole on the top of the deck, and slid in the nut (hammer in or torque down the nubs which kept them from slipping) with the screw underneath. These were very poorly designed as they broke at the end point of the screw--you'd essentially have to get risers that made the end of the screw just past flush to keep them from breaking. They also would loosen quickly as there was no nylock on the first version. You also had to add a drill and hammer to your tool list.

Bridgebolts/U-bolts: did away with the screwdriver or hex key by casting two bolts as one "u" shaped screw that wrapped around the top of the board. These were really meant to be friction devices for the top of the board to compensate for little or no upturn on most decks at the time. They'd also break easily and you'd have to replace the set.

Expedition-One Innerlock: nut laminated into the deck itself. Extra price of the deck did not justify replacing a buck worth of locknuts.

Rusty_Berrings

« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2014, 07:33:58 PM »
ok, but none of that is mounting nuts built into the truck. they still make powell rat nuts btw.

Schismatic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 4
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2014, 12:11:20 PM »
Just a theory based on basic understanding of physics and matter, but... You'd break a lot more hardware and risk damaging expensive trucks instead pf cheap bolts. There's a reasoning is that baseplate holes are a size bigger than they need to be. Even tightened down the baseplate isn't rigidly locked into place, there's potential for a minute amount of movement under pressure. Say your board shoots out straight into a curb at high speed- If there was zero give then it's more likely to bend the bolt, in effect damaging the threads. Maybe not noticeable at first with time it would get less and less secure. Same with deck holes, both of them slightly bigger than bolts, and both can reduce force of impact.

Also, if you break your bolt inside the baseplate you'd probably need to drill it out, also likely to damage threads unless you can hold a drill with surgical precision (such a small bolt would be hard to tap/thread to unscrew it).

And, no locking system is perfect. If it's getting beat around all the time like a skateboard does, it's gonna get less effective.

In the end, you'd have a more expensive product that's more prone to damage and thus needs to be replaced more often.

I'm sure plenty of companies have experimented with this, it's not like a ground breaking epiphany, and there's a reason a company like Tensor or something didn't already revolutionize skateboard truck design with this idea.

About reducing the amount of tools needed: You'd still need a screwdriver. T-Tool + screwdriver = 2 tools needed to do everything you need on a skateboard now, and 2 tools needed if baseplates were threaded. Hmmmm...

Chavo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 219
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2014, 04:05:29 PM »
ok, but none of that is mounting nuts built into the truck. they still make powell rat nuts btw.

Trucks are usually cast aluminum. Too weak to hold a properly torqued mounting screw. It's also easier to turn a bolt with a ratchet than the screw from the top.

Monkey_Mcpott

« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2014, 07:18:59 PM »
The old Diamond bolts use to have something where this little black metal thing would hold the nut while you just screw in the bolt with an allen key. I belive it was Diamond? i remember having a pair and them not having it ever again. I guess people probably couldnt figure it out.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 10:28:06 AM by Monkey_Mcpott »

Bill

• Rep: -32
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2014, 01:44:52 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

you're on coke.

And your on Meth
Coming up with all these silly gimmicks & ideas that have already been made & failed ! You remind me of that guy from that movie "Rookie of the Year "  the Hot ice guy !! Just go skate & stop coming around with this Sk8 Tweaker/inventor vibe

Rule #1

Fashion Never Function

Rusty_Berrings

« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2014, 02:00:29 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

you're on coke.
[close]

And your on Meth
yummy meth!

Rusty_Berrings

« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2014, 03:01:33 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Trucks are usually cast aluminum. Too weak to hold a properly torqued mounting screw. It's also easier to turn a bolt with a ratchet than the screw from the top.
This makes a lot of sense actually. Sorry you couldn't have responded first.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1580
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2014, 11:26:43 PM »
I'm pretty sure someone has made a truck where there's insets for the nuts so you just need a screwdriver or Allen key....

gaunting

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2014, 11:38:39 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

you're on coke.
[close]

And your on Meth
[close]
yummy meth!

I smoked that shit one time, very scary drug, stayed up for 5 days, did not eat for 5 days either, never again.
This has me cracking up, what exactly does Black Flag have to do with measuring your dick starting behind ya nuts?

Skateboarding is nothing but a game to find the right fits to appear like you're a proportional human being instead of a midget or a giant.