Author Topic: Looks like I'm going to L.A next year.  (Read 5791 times)

Frosty178

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 6
Looks like I'm going to L.A next year.
« on: September 13, 2014, 01:07:14 PM »
All the way from merry old England. (Bracing for the inevitable hate.)

Anywhere I should especially visit, spot-wise, shop-wise, or just plain sight seeing-wise?

Pretty stoked, but fucking nervous. That's a long way.

GershonSweaty

• Rep: -5
    • @_moreinformation avatar image
Re: Looks like I'm going to L.A next year.
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2014, 01:16:11 PM »
Griffith observatory, get a scale of where your living.

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 378
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.

Baron Samedi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 371
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2014, 02:35:47 PM »
If everyone seems like they're doing something really important or cool and they don't have any time for you, don't worry about it. They're just pretending.

WeirdBeach

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 14
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2014, 03:13:36 PM »
If everyone seems like they're doing something really important or cool and they don't have any time for you, don't worry about it. They're just pretending.
this.this.this.

Frosty178

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2014, 05:59:10 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
this.this.this.

I take it the place is awash with hipsters and posers? Haha.

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -937
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2014, 02:05:09 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
this.this.this.
[close]

I take it the place is awash with hipsters and posers? Haha.
Just kinda generally shitty people in general. Before people get riled up- its not all LA people, just an overall cultural trend- TONS of people move to LA to be actors, rock stars, models, and other types of celebrities. So what you end up having in HUGE numbers, are that douchebag you went to high school with who always said they were going to be famous one day. Most normal areas have a couple of those people, who are generally laughed at for having such vapid and superficial life goals (think Will Easely on here). The thing is, the douchiest and worst of them pick up and move to LA to actually pursue that dream full on.
Are all LA people these people? No, but a shockingly high amount of people you meet will explain their career as "I'm an actor, but I wait tables to make ends meet." No, motherfucker, you are a waiter. The thing is, when you get so many of those people together you get a culture that is just as superficial and materialistic. They all want that glamor life, so night clubs luxury cars that people spend more money on than their rent, a refusal to use public transit, and segregation become the norm.
In the end, of course, most of these dreamers don't become the next celebrity, but try to put on heirs as if they always have something in the works. This was even true when I was teaching in a public school in South LA- I knew lots of teachers in the area, and you'd be shocked how many were either hyped on teaching because they could pursue acting/rockstaring/modeling/whatever over the summer, or were failed actors/rock stars/models who gave up and got a real job.
There is an upside, which is that there is a lot of interesting stuff to do- lots of live music, amazing stand up comedy, and great live theatre are incredibly accessible. And like I said, not everybody is like that- that is just LA's specific type of douchebag- the way Portland has its tree huggers and New York is full of yuppies.
Its a great place to visit, along with the arts there are beaches, nice weather, and endless skatespots, but it was hell to live there.
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

Frosty178

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2014, 02:39:21 PM »
Lucky I'm only there for 5 days then huh? I live in London, I'm used to douchebags walking around like they're something. Can't forget chavs and pikeys too.

Thanks for suggesting stand-up comedy, I'm putting that on the list to do!

Monkey_Mcpott

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2014, 04:11:48 PM »
Just make sure you try some carne asada nachos from chanos by USC  :)

Tracer

• Rep: -65309
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2014, 04:53:35 PM »
Def go to hollywood and bang some supermodels. Skate wise you should rent a car or posse up on the reg, shit is spread out. Don't stay in the LA hostels, they are filthy

Skate wise you better get a trick at some famous spot, and bring your surfboard

nice_guy_2

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2014, 05:47:13 PM »
Life in L.A. is so lonely

Leaky McBurnside

• Rep: 10
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2014, 06:19:47 PM »
you should call ahead and let LA know you are stopping by.

JAesop

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2014, 06:48:35 PM »
San Diego is way better.

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2014, 07:43:26 PM »
Lucky I'm only there for 5 days then huh? I live in London, I'm used to douchebags walking around like they're something. Can't forget chavs and pikeys too.

Thanks for suggesting stand-up comedy, I'm putting that on the list to do!
I think the comedy store is one of the best stand up clubs, though there are tons of other legit clubs right near it. For humor, also check out UCB theatre- good small comedy theatre that often features famous comedians and comic actors.

ben3350

• Rep: -156
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2014, 01:47:08 AM »
Go to Amoeba record store that place is the tits.

zippy z

« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2014, 04:56:34 AM »
I was out there a couple weeks ago. Out of all the non-skating stuff I did here's my list of stuff to do:

- Watts Towers
- The Remains of The Pit on Venice Beach
- The Pacific Breeze Hotel on Sunset - This was Guy's go-to crack hotel. Corner of Sunset and Bates Ave. There's a famous spot on Bates too.
- The H.M.S. Bounty
- J Kwon Plaza to see the planter AO ollies
- Griffith Observatory
- Pizzanista
- Bradbury Building - On Broadway and West 3rd St. If you like Bladerunner, this is a neat place to visit.
- La Brea Tar Pits
- Ye Rustic Inn - Los Feliz bar where Guy first folded space.

Frosty178

« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2014, 01:13:41 PM »
Some of that ^^^ sounds sketchy man haha.

I'm gunna guess it's pretty hot there, it'll be the end of March when I go.

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2014, 08:23:53 PM »
Watts towers are actually really sick and worth checking out. Go during the day and drive to it and you'll be just fine.

hydrant hopper

• Rep: 4
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2014, 01:59:35 AM »
- Pizzanista

Salman's got it figured out.  Something about restaurants, etc. that have skate magazines for customer viewing is very comforting.  They have a restaurant copy of the FTC book too, if you haven't had the chance to check that out yet.

BIGFATFUCKINGLOSER

• Rep: 2
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2014, 03:58:27 AM »

goosey

« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2014, 12:57:13 PM »
go to funky soul at the echo on a saturday night: super fun.

floop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -28
  • the things I do for my fucking friends!
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2014, 01:22:56 PM »
San Diego is way better.

aside from good craft breweries (really good ones) San Diego is a snore fest.  cracks me up when people from SD hate on LA.  but then, everyone hates on LA.  it's the thing to do

besides having absolutely shitty traffic LA is one of the best cities in the world.  it's a tough place to visit though, and get around.   part of the reason why i think it makes a bad impression on people

gipper is right to some degree (i hate to admit).  there is a high concentration of wannabe actors/musicians etc..  and as a consequence are a lot of douchebags.  but i don't think it's any more than any other city.  SF has it's own type of douchebags, just like NY and everywhere else.   one thing i know is that people who make blanket statements about people from other cities are usually really dumb and closed-minded themselves.  which is ironic.  since they are the type of person you'd probably not want to hang out with, yet they're warning you against the entire population of a city.   often times these types of people (and i'm not including gipper in this) are people who moved to LA, couldn't make it in whatever they were trying to do, then left feeling bitter.  

but, i digress..

i recommend going to Venice Skate Park.  say what people might on here (about the crowd or whatever), it's of the most beautiful settings for a skatepark ever.  put some sunblock on your pale English ass and enjoy the beautiful mountain, ocean, and bikini views while skateboarding in the the birthplace of pool shredding

i can recommend some good hikes.  whenever i take out of towners on one of my hikes it's usually a crowd pleaser

whatever you do avoid rush hour for getting around

if i see you here i will personally buy you a beer to show that LA people aren't all douchebags, but only if i can squeeze it in between meetings
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 01:24:31 PM by floop »
"Every time I read one of your shitty posts I wonder why I am wasting my time looking at SLAP."

Yushin Okami

• Rep: 115
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2014, 03:51:35 PM »
Expand Quote
San Diego is way better.
[close]

aside from good craft breweries (really good ones) San Diego is a snore fest.  cracks me up when people from SD hate on LA.  but then, everyone hates on LA.  it's the thing to do

besides having absolutely shitty traffic LA is one of the best cities in the world.  it's a tough place to visit though, and get around.   part of the reason why i think it makes a bad impression on people

gipper is right to some degree (i hate to admit).  there is a high concentration of wannabe actors/musicians etc..  and as a consequence are a lot of douchebags.  but i don't think it's any more than any other city.  SF has it's own type of douchebags, just like NY and everywhere else.   one thing i know is that people who make blanket statements about people from other cities are usually really dumb and closed-minded themselves.  which is ironic.  since they are the type of person you'd probably not want to hang out with, yet they're warning you against the entire population of a city.   often times these types of people (and i'm not including gipper in this) are people who moved to LA, couldn't make it in whatever they were trying to do, then left feeling bitter.  

but, i digress..

i recommend going to Venice Skate Park.  say what people might on here (about the crowd or whatever), it's of the most beautiful settings for a skatepark ever.  put some sunblock on your pale English ass and enjoy the beautiful mountain, ocean, and bikini views while skateboarding in the the birthplace of pool shredding

i can recommend some good hikes.  whenever i take out of towners on one of my hikes it's usually a crowd pleaser

whatever you do avoid rush hour for getting around

if i see you here i will personally buy you a beer to show that LA people aren't all douchebags, but only if i can squeeze it in between meetings

Second round is on me. L.A. is fucking great. I get why people may not like it but it has an unfair reputation.
We all know you have two sexy anthropomorphic wolves who buttfuck each other on the bottom of your board.

yeahisaidit

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 94
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2014, 06:12:54 AM »
I lived in LA for eight years and there's a lot I dislike. But as for what I miss:

Innout
Bay cities deli
Apple Pan
Johnnies Pastrami
Stoner Park
A few friends
My family being a couple hours away.

I suggest the first five.

WeirdBeach

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 14
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2014, 09:05:54 AM »
Let's all hit jkwon on a Sunday morning when you are here.

Schismatic

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2014, 11:22:29 AM »

Anywhere I should especially visit, spot-wise, shop-wise, or just plain sight seeing-wise?

The hate mostly comes more from your side of the Atlantic. ;)

Be sure to try some chicken & waffles. It's been a long while since living in LA but for if you're into an older punk/rockabilly atmosphere then for a drinking hole check out the Bigfoot Lodge, one of my preferred spots since the burgundy room was taken over by hipsters end techno heads (blame the jackass crew and Maxim magazine for that). Burgundy Room is still okay on some nights, especially if you're looking for a skeevy one night stand.

floop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -28
  • the things I do for my fucking friends!
« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2014, 11:44:48 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

The hate mostly comes more from your side of the Atlantic. ;)

Be sure to try some chicken & waffles. It's been a long while since living in LA but for if you're into an older punk/rockabilly atmosphere then for a drinking hole check out the Bigfoot Lodge, one of my preferred spots since the burgundy room was taken over by hipsters end techno heads (blame the jackass crew and Maxim magazine for that). Burgundy Room is still okay on some nights, especially if you're looking for a skeevy one night stand.

with all due respect, Bigfoot Lodge is just as filled with hipsters as any place in Los Feliz / Silver Lake.  i do like the place but their beer selection is not great so i don't usually go there
"Every time I read one of your shitty posts I wonder why I am wasting my time looking at SLAP."