Author Topic: The Ws: Corey Duffel  (Read 5245 times)

PsychOut

The Ws: Corey Duffel
« on: September 17, 2014, 05:52:25 PM »

ROCKxADIO420

Re: The Ws: Corey Duffel
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2014, 05:56:28 PM »
i used to think it was really offensive how corey called stevie williams a trashy nigger but ever since i heard his voice i just think its adorable

Connor Davis

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -1
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2014, 07:06:43 PM »
He talks/sounds like Walt Jr. from Breaking Bad.

Wizard Fight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -191
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2014, 08:08:51 PM »
i used to think it was really offensive how corey called stevie williams a trashy nigger but ever since i heard his voice i just think its adorable

I used to think it was really offensive how Corey called Stevie Williams a "trashy nigger" and I still do, I wonder if he ever apologized for it or got beat up or something.

Joust Ostrich

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 664
  • Speculatnaciousness?
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2014, 08:21:31 PM »
If you got stranded on an island with 12 people that spoke like that, how would you kill yourself?

I think I'd just hang out in the water until a shark ate me.
I'm posting from my blackberry wtf?!?!?

anblue

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 81
  • You just got killed by a Daewoo Lanos, motherfucka
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2014, 08:23:23 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I used to think it was really offensive how Corey called Stevie Williams a "trashy nigger" and I still do, I wonder if he ever apologized for it or got beat up or something.
im pretty sure stevie got him on venture or something like that afterwords
Who the fuck spends more than $5 at taco bell?
Being liked on slap is the only award

poor alice

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -133
  • ♦️♣️♥️♠️
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2014, 06:33:01 AM »
I for one enjoyed that "interview" of sorts. He's self-aware in a good way with his comments about what type of skating he likes as well as probably not wanting to stay working in the skate industry once he stops being pro.
He has been and will stay one of my favourite pro skaters from since I was a youngin'.
And yes, he made a racist comment when he was 16 or less that has been taken out of context and rehashed and repeated to death.
As have the comments about his speech impediment. It's fucking tiresome.
I'm going to argue that Placebo owes their entire career to a Canadian dude's skate video part. Appleyard should be getting royalties for this shit.

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1958
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2014, 06:43:15 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

More times than you can probably count.

dirtyweemidden

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 59
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2014, 06:56:09 AM »
I for one enjoyed that "interview" of sorts. He's self-aware in a good way with his comments about what type of skating he likes as well as probably not wanting to stay working in the skate industry once he stops being pro.
He has been and will stay one of my favourite pro skaters from since I was a youngin'.
And yes, he made a racist comment when he was 16 or less that has been taken out of context and rehashed and repeated to death.
As have the comments about his speech impediment. It's fucking tiresome.

Tyroneshoelaces

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -598
  • who knows
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2014, 07:19:25 AM »
I love Duffle.  He has Had more serious career ending level injuries than almost anyone and he still consistently puts out footage and never really had a gap in coverage.  He still skates like a mad man.

People always bring up that stevie shit.  That is beyond squashed.  I swear white wanna be progressive dudes hold onto that shit longer than us black dudes.   Dude said some shitty things a long time ago, apologized, got his shit together. 
where is home?

Fastfreddy

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2014, 07:34:34 AM »
I think the most telling part of this interview was that he admitted he doesn't have what it takes to be a TM. Too many people wouldn't self-aware enough to admit that, especially skateboarders looking to swim in the industry tank after retirement.

Iceman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 433
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2014, 07:41:49 AM »
I swear white wanna be progressive dudes hold onto that shit longer than us black dudes.
so true

poor alice

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -133
  • ♦️♣️♥️♠️
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2014, 07:55:40 AM »
Expand Quote
I swear white wanna be progressive dudes hold onto that shit longer than us black dudes.
[close]
so true
From my experience, it does seem to be mostly white guys that bring this up again and again.

I think the most telling part of this interview was that he admitted he doesn't have what it takes to be a TM. Too many people wouldn't self-aware enough to admit that, especially skateboarders looking to swim in the industry tank after retirement.
That's what I was referring to as well, I mean he makes jokes about it but he's obviously thought about it and thinks he wouldn't be suited for that sort of role. I'll certainly be interested to see where he goes and what he does with himself after pro skateboarding seeing as his body will pretty much be useless. Maybe motorbike repairs as he seems to be into that.

I THINK I remember hearing a while back some fun fact regarding his output as a pro skater, like if you compared Duffel's output in terms of magazine ads, video parts, articles, demo's etc he would statistically (I hate using that word) be one of, if not the hardest working pro of this generation. All this coming from a guy who started out pre-internet footage-flood era.
I'm going to argue that Placebo owes their entire career to a Canadian dude's skate video part. Appleyard should be getting royalties for this shit.

Fenzadill

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 91
  • lemme get the 4 dollar one
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2014, 08:41:31 AM »
Damn I can't unsee the Walt Jr. similarity now.

I dunno this is the same old bullshit everyone says these days, that doesn't make it NOT true but it's just the formulaic 'core' responses of someone over the age of 25.  He's just regurgitating.

Make sure you hit the bullet points of:

-The slow death of the hard copy video
-The prevalence of skating for money and fame these days
-The god damn kids
-ATV skaters r my fav
-Berrics is lame
-Sum up famous Lance Mountain quote and pass off as own observation
-SK8 OR DIE!
-"I'm such a dick lol, might kick a kids ass"

example. i cant cast a spelll or love potion on a girl and she falls total in love for me
but i can show a girl my tv youtube clip on my or her phone. but there's a difference ok

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1958
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2014, 08:47:53 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
so true
[close]
From my experience, it does seem to be mostly white guys that bring this up again and again.

Expand Quote
[close]
That's what I was referring to as well, I mean he makes jokes about it but he's obviously thought about it and thinks he wouldn't be suited for that sort of role. I'll certainly be interested to see where he goes and what he does with himself after pro skateboarding seeing as his body will pretty much be useless. Maybe motorbike repairs as he seems to be into that.

I THINK I remember hearing a while back some fun fact regarding his output as a pro skater, like if you compared Duffel's output in terms of magazine ads, video parts, articles, demo's etc he would statistically (I hate using that word) be one of, if not the hardest working pro of this generation. All this coming from a guy who started out pre-internet footage-flood era.

It's pretty true. In his prime he was dropping multiple parts a year even when he was injured. Seems like for every big video part he had he would drop a couple parts in between for random web things. I remember in a Skateboarder mag they had those anatomy sections with pros for injuries and shit, and they could only fit about half of his injuries in the article. He's always been one of my favorites.

el chino

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -375
  • ants suck!
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2014, 03:04:25 PM »
id rather read an interview than watch it, but  core is actually one of my faves since childhood, dude kills it even while broke off, skates loose as fuck trucks even if it doesnt look like it and ive stumbled upon him a few times and he remembered me from a demo he did  over here in mex a long ass time ago
<iframe class="imgur-album" width="100%" height="550" frameborder="0" src="http://imgur.com/a/8ph4y/embed"></iframe>

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -936
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2014, 04:35:17 PM »

I dunno this is the same old bullshit everyone says these days, that doesn't make it NOT true but it's just the formulaic 'core' responses of someone over the age of 25.  He's just regurgitating.

-The god damn kids
-ATV skaters r my fav
-Berrics is lame
-SK8 OR DIE!

Not ATV skaters, tranny skaters, and there's a reason its such a common answer: the new generation of tranny skaters coming up are insane, and the most exciting guys in skating today- Raney, Grant, Raven, and Ronnie are fucking gnarly
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

floop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -28
  • the things I do for my fucking friends!
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2014, 04:40:18 PM »
Expand Quote

-The god damn kids
-ATV skaters r my fav
-Berrics is lame
-SK8 OR DIE!

[close]
Not ATV skaters, tranny skaters, and there's a reason its such a common answer: the new generation of tranny skaters coming up are insane, and the most exciting guys in skating today- Raney, Grant, Raven, and Ronnie are fucking gnarly

agree.  think Brad McClain and Jaws deserve to be on that list too
"Every time I read one of your shitty posts I wonder why I am wasting my time looking at SLAP."

Ccannon

• Rep: -23
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2014, 04:49:12 PM »
Corey Duffel - Retrospective

Seems like he has lost some of that biker fat too. That was annoying me
« Last Edit: September 18, 2014, 05:01:24 PM by Ccannon »

nice_guy_2

« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2014, 04:53:26 PM »
thats a mug you dont wanna chug

FrenchFuck

« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2014, 05:14:00 PM »
Growing up I hated on Corey. Now I realize I was just a fucking idiot.

Choad Muskrat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 522
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2014, 06:00:04 PM »
"I'm a fuel injected suicide machine"

lol wut

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -936
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2014, 06:26:14 PM »
^Obviously he thinks he's a motorcycle.
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

-The god damn kids
-ATV skaters r my fav
-Berrics is lame
-SK8 OR DIE!

[close]
[close]

agree.  think Brad McClain and Jaws deserve to be on that list too
Greyson Fletcher and Ben Raybourn too, though I'm weary of putting jaws on this list. He rips, but he is more of one of those Ben Hatchell ATV types.

One other part of the interview I forgot to mention made me lol- His thing about staying in Northern California "away from the industry" as if  deluxe, Thrasher, Big Time, NHS, low card, and an endless list of other HUGE industry players is "away from the industry." According to Duffel he's "20 minutes away" from SF (Oakland is 20 minutes from SF when you account for traffic, and Walnut Creek is well past that). Wow, that's way away from the industry.
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

paraquat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 200
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2014, 07:06:10 PM »