Author Topic: Valencia, Spain  (Read 7178 times)

J.Hawkes

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 3
Valencia, Spain
« on: September 25, 2014, 09:00:29 AM »
Spent a week skateboarding in Valencia (just down the coast from Barcelona) earlier this month. Amazing city, amazing spots, lots of police.

I did a write up of the trip and took a load of photos, which hopefully give a good insight into what it's like to skate there:

Skateboarding in Valencia

ttching!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 65214
  • Smilin' Mercenary
Re: Valencia, Spain
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2014, 09:55:32 AM »
I've been dreaming about that fucking Benetusser plaza since seeing it in Eleventh Hour. Found it, added to long list of spots on my Europe itinerary. Thanks.

Cosme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 507
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2014, 10:10:09 AM »

Cheers - nice read. Pretty good article.

Valencia's scene is pretty strong but the tales about their police shenanigans are growing stronger.

Ironically, their economy is fucked not because of some england skaters visiting but due to the corrupt local government.
That City of Arts and Sciences is just one example of multiple shady real state dealings involving politicians, architects and their ilk.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 10:26:29 AM by Cosme »

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 153
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2014, 02:26:51 PM »
Las Fallas.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

J.Hawkes

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2014, 01:34:07 AM »
I've been dreaming about that fucking Benetusser plaza since seeing it in Eleventh Hour. Found it, added to long list of spots on my Europe itinerary. Thanks.
Yep, Eleventh Hour put Valencia on our radar, then we saw that Taylor Nawrocki El Sol section and pretty much booked flights that day.

Valencia's scene is pretty strong but the tales about their police shenanigans are growing stronger.

Ironically, their economy is fucked not because of some england skaters visiting but due to the corrupt local government.
That City of Arts and Sciences is just one example of multiple shady real state dealings involving politicians, architects and their ilk.

Interesting stuff. Just read an article that fully backs up what you say. I guess as an outsider looking in it's easy to see things at face value without considering the bigger picture. That place is fucking impressive but not worth ?1bn taxpayers' money.

somethingmustbreaknow

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 477
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2014, 02:25:48 AM »
i would really like to see (and be able to read) that piece of legislative ruling that states that skateboarding is prohibited. i cant imagine a  parliamentary discussion over fucking skateboarding. es prohibido patinar fuck off

paraquat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 199
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2014, 10:10:57 AM »
Good stuff. I hope to make it back to Spain most likely a beach town like Valencia.

ciaran

• Rep: 22
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2014, 01:59:21 PM »
J.Hawkes, try tracking down East's Vapors (2005) and The Harmony's Wolfstadt (2007) and some of their previous promos, they all have a lot of Valencia footage.  Landscape too, think they had a tour shot by Hold Tight Henry back in 2009 or so.

AnotherHardDayAtTheOffice

• Rep: -8
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2014, 02:09:47 PM »
Good stuff. I hope to make it back to Spain most likely a beach town like Valencia.

Valencia is not exactly a beach town though. It's a major coastal city.

Good read. Valencia has been flying under the radar so far. Despite the police, it sounds interesting, too.

J.Hawkes

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2014, 04:41:04 PM »
J.Hawkes, try tracking down East's Vapors (2005) and The Harmony's Wolfstadt (2007) and some of their previous promos, they all have a lot of Valencia footage.  Landscape too, think they had a tour shot by Hold Tight Henry back in 2009 or so.
Cheers for that. I'd definitely seen all three of those but hadn't spotted the Valencia bits. Just re-watched on YouTube - Tony da Silva shut-down!

Expand Quote
[close]

Valencia is not exactly a beach town though. It's a major coastal city.

Good read. Valencia has been flying under the radar so far. Despite the police, it sounds interesting, too.
I wouldn't let the police put anyone off going. Heard much worse about Barca a few years back and that didn't stop anyone.

J.Hawkes

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2014, 04:41:52 AM »
Update: Here's a little edit of all the stuff we filmed in Valencia that isn't making it into our next full-length vid:

LIK DOWN IN VALENCIA on Vimeo

Steezy Jeffrey

• Rep: -40
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2014, 02:53:21 AM »
valencia has a beach, so in what way is it not a beach town?

Sold Out

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 92
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2014, 12:19:33 AM »
Rad pics and article! Brought back form great memories of skating in gnarly heat. Love that first spot you posted the mollie bs flip one, we skated there for a whole day messing around, trying new things. I haven't been back in 7 or 8 years, what's with all these police comments?! I never got hassled once when I was out there... what's going on?

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -765
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2023, 06:56:20 AM »
I'm going on Saturday. Hopefully my ankle will be fully healed by then. Anybody got any tips ?
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in