Author Topic: #jkjhnsn interview.  (Read 14042 times)

shark tits

Re: #jkjhnsn interview.
« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2014, 06:22:16 PM »
jj is who i want representing us. reading that just highlighted how shtooops everyone else is in comparison. he even used 'extreme' in a non corny way. everyone's great at skating nowadays but hardly anyone can articulate their thoughts so well.

SomeWorries

« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2014, 10:17:32 PM »
Yeah, heavy. Wow.

"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge, increases sorrow."

I sure do hope that this next year provides enough rest and healing for everyone surrounding Alien Workshop to resurrect it and return it to its former glory. Get it back to Ohio. Get it small. Give Jake some reigns. Dear Lord please put Jake in charge.

Give him a break, dudes. If you don't know by now that professional skateboarding isn't all sunshine and rainbows, I fear there is no hope for you. Yeah that was a heavy interview, but the dudes been through a lot in his few years in the spotlight, be they sponsors pulling the plug and all the dramas there, injuries, motorcycle accidents, and just general growing up. Early 20's aren't always all that great and Jake's always stood out to me as a deeper thinker; he's definitely a visionary and could use a platform (still looking at you Carter & Hill). I thank him for his honesty. But I get it - it sucks watching skateboarders whore themselves, and subsequently the culture, to the highest bidder. There is no current end in sight and it grows ever more farcical with each passing year.

And DC is concerned about competition with Habitat Footwear? Have they no bigger fish to fry? And where's the respect for a man's privacy and right to ownership of whatever the fuzz he wants? Where's the respect for his loyalty?? 20 freakin' years DC!! You guys are ridiculous.

Lessons Learned: Don't sell your creation. Keep it small or kill it. No one's gonna love it more than you do. Unless a Jake Johnson comes along. I.E.: Blueprint. Alien (and almost Habitat. Phew!). Vans. DC. It's sooooooo not worth it.

My best regards to him; I hope he fully recovers and then some and finds what he's looking for.

Noioso

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 90
  • "For me it's crazy like"
« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2014, 11:01:13 PM »
"Do you think you?d be more happy right now, if you never became pro?
I think I would be more happy now, if I was closer with my family, if I had a strong relationship, if I had more stability, if I had no debts, if I had a schedule. That?s why skateboarding is a disease. It?s a disease of the mind. For me it?s a childish disease. It?s hard to remain a child in a culture of adults. You start to judge yourself for it. It?s kind of stupid to say, but I?m kinda feeling like the innocence is lost in skateboarding. Maybe it happened a long time ago. I?m just starting to see more clearly what the industry and the culture are and I just don?t relate to it that much anymore. Maybe it?s time to find something else, go back to school, find inspiration from some other things."

GROWING UP IN A NUTSHELL

Fuck, for real. I don't think I have ever related so much to a skateboarding interview in my entire life. I'm 27 and feel exactly how he feels about life. I'm starting to feel society is pressuring me to conform, and grow up. It's time to become part of the culture of adults. Ugh.
"So, you want to follow the nuge, get a good feeble, a nice ollie, an excellent lipside, maybe a tolerable down love and become known for your outstanding kick flip el toro? Become a regular visitor at our skate parks. Righteous."

BuddyBaker14

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 0
« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2014, 12:29:02 AM »
  Interesting read.  Jake is a deep thinker, which is cool, but this is the same stuff he's been saying for years.  Either you have to try and make a change, or you have to do something else.  I know I'll get crucified for this post, but I just have trouble relating or feeling for a lot of these guys.  Life can be tough- getting older isn't easy and it's a weird transition.  I don't know what it's like to be a professional skateboarder or in between companies, and I never will, but it must not be that bad to be able to take time off, travel with friends, get money from Converse and skate whatever boards people will send you.  Isn't he kind of doing what he he's against- starting to become jaded to the industry because of what's currently going on in it? And isn't it kind hypocritical to criticize the "big business" corporations that stepped in to own Alien, but turn around and skate for Converse- which would drop skating as soon as it's not making money for them?   
  If he is that concerned about the where things are going, what has he done to try and change it?  It's one thing to express how bummed you are on how things are going, and another to actually do something about it.  If he doesn't want to use his talent to help inspire the next generation of kids, maybe it's time for him to bow out, get a regular job and skate in his free time for the love of it like all of us. 
  Every job and organization has shitty things about it, but we have to deal and adapt. Just remember, he has the talent and ability to make a living doing what we can only dream about, but he'd rather not use it and blame other things as to why he's not out there doing his job.
  I'm just saying, I don't think people should put as much stock into what a lot of these dudes say, because I don't think it's as genuine as people think.  At the end of the day, they're still making money from skateboarding regardless of how much work, effort or complaining they put into it.  Look at Reynolds and Greco, two dudes that cleaned up their act, yet they still use the party/burnout image and slap drug and alcohol graphics on the bottom of their boards to market their brands to kids...kids.   
  At the end of the day, skateboarding is a business, big business, and as much as these dudes want you to think they want things to go back underground, that's not the case.  They want to make money, however they can.  You think Jake would be happy if skating got really small again and he wasn't making the money he is now from it and had to go back to school, get that engineering degree and work a 9-5?  Maybe he would be fine with it, but I'm guessing he would rather have that skating money and not have to work a real job.       

foureyedjim

« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2014, 01:12:00 AM »
Loved it, really honest interview. 
It's as he said, he's got the mind of skateboarder, not an adult.
I don't think he's trying to gain support or anything with this interview, he's just speaking his mind, even if he does come across as naive or whatever.

Monkey_Mcpott

« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2014, 11:27:58 AM »
" but the problem was my first suggestion was, we have to get completely rid of Rob Dyrdek. That was my demand."

Thats bold! its crazy to think they agreed to that. Its awesome hearing someone this young be so level headed, mature and full of wisdom. Hes like the complete opposite of Koston.

darkslideoftheforce

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -24
« Reply #36 on: September 27, 2014, 12:10:56 PM »
If I had to make a list of the top 10 people in the world I have mixed feelings about, Rob Dyrdek would top that list. I mean he used to be legit, and I want him to be legit, but .. fuck!

Lighten up Jake, there is still plenty of good in this wonderful culture of ours.

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -936
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #37 on: September 27, 2014, 01:24:36 PM »
It sounds like he is going through that young skater to old skater transition. As a kid, its easy to think of skateboarding as the only thing that matters or is important, but you get older and realize there is a lot more to this world than just skating. That's not to say skating isn't still one of the greatest things ever, but it seems like he looked down one day and thought that he contribute more than just being a skateboarder. I don't think that necessarily means not skating, but also expanding into other things. When it is your career, and things start getting weird, I would imagine it gets even stranger to think about.
It does get weird when you are talking with older people. who now are your age, and they are concerned with families and mortgages and shit and your number one concern is learning a new trick. You can expand into more "adult" goals, while still working on that new trick, but it does seem like at some point it kinda clicks that you can't ignore everything else in life just to be a skateboarder.
His shit about the whole fashion scene or whatever in skating is spot on
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

Still Tippin

• Rep: -33
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #38 on: September 27, 2014, 07:18:41 PM »
i don't think riding for converse makes him a hypocrite, he gives some very sound reasons for why he would take up a sponsor as big as them. he's been dumped by gravis, quiksilver, and now alien, so having money come in from someone who (at least for now) seems like they're here to stay and do cool things in skating (polar vids, building spots, etc.) seems like a reasonable thing to do.

i did find it a little confusing how he could have so many negative things to say about rob right after saying he's never even had a conversation with the dude. it could be that everything he said was true, but at the same time, it's quite possible there's a lot of the story that he doesn't know from never talking to the parties involved.

but in general, its nice to see someone be so in love with JUST skateboarding, and not wanting to do anything but just skate. there was that buzz episode recently where ben nordberg gets really pissed because of lee suggesting doing things outside of skating like modeling is kooky, because the scope of it doesn't need to be so focused on just skating, but i feel like the best things within skating will always come from those who focus all their efforts and energy on it. 

violentpizza

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -69
  • pregnant pussy
« Reply #39 on: September 27, 2014, 10:07:57 PM »
Almost every frequent poster on this board has negative things to say about Dyrdek and I'm certain no one on this board has had a conversation with him. I don't think its weird that Jake would have negative views on the guy.

Aatila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -305
« Reply #40 on: September 28, 2014, 08:34:59 AM »
a lot of his interviews lately has been on some debbie downer shit tho.  I love the dude but damn it sounds like he wants to quit skateboarding in every one of them.  If he wants to quit or take a break then do that and come back refreshed later(that static part will hold us for a while).  Its obvious that skateboarding has became a chore to him due to contractual obligations to companies.  Even tho rob is on some weird shit he has to at least thank him for the paychecks for a year.

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 383
« Reply #41 on: September 28, 2014, 08:41:38 AM »
I don't think Jake is as bummed on skating as everyone seems to think he is.  Complaining about the industry and certain trends within it and the subculture doesn't mean he views skating as a chore or hates doing it.  Just that there are things going on in skating as an industry that he didn't expect and doesn't like.  That's it.

jeremyrandall

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 67
    • Ninetimes Skate Shop avatar image
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #42 on: September 28, 2014, 09:43:27 AM »
i did find it a little confusing how he could have so many negative things to say about rob right after saying he's never even had a conversation with the dude. it could be that everything he said was true, but at the same time, it's quite possible there's a lot of the story that he doesn't know from never talking to the parties involved.

I dunno...I worked for the same company for 6 years as one of the top employees, and the owner of the company never took the time to get to know me at all I probably wouldn't have a lot of positive things to say about that guy either.

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 284
« Reply #43 on: September 28, 2014, 10:02:50 AM »
Jake Johnson.... The Holden Caulfield of skateboarding?

Tufty

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -26
« Reply #44 on: September 28, 2014, 11:00:29 AM »
 On counter-cultures.

Counter-cultures like skateboarding and punk are a very positive side-effect of the world. However we ve seen that sooner or later those cultures are being devoured by pop-culture as they get more popular and they kind of lose their radical side for the sake of more popularity and marketability and profit. Thats what has happened to skateboarding, just like punk skateboarding became too pop and now is devided to an underground section and a pop one. Unfortunately counter cultures without a strong political and economical background are bound to get sucked into pop culture. I mean world sucks is not a stance. World sucks because the whole corpo thing that our world is based on sucks and I want an alternative, is a stance.

Skateboarding is indeed in the highest level it has ever been athletic-wise. And yeah thats a fact competition helped getting to a level where people are really killing themselves. However I think that only 16 year olds are fascinated by this or those who are mentally that age. I am really amazed with a nyjah part but I am damn sure I wont watch it again. Why? Because skateboarding for me is not a sport.

I am so much more fascinated by inspiring people on and off board, nice thought-provocative graphics, cool video directing with new cool music, cool art stuff and not bullshit logos, skateboarding that makes me want to grab my board and have a night session after work not a kid making effortlessly another death defying stunt. According to these skateboarding is at the lowest point of its history, however thanks to the internet you can have access to videos from small companies and bro-style amateur productions.

Of course I am a minority and I am not the target group of the marketing of those companies... However I believe thats not just a point of view but its objectively true that the main scene of skateboarding is now lame and its markets' fault (meaning the whole economical system).

Marketability kills individualism
« Last Edit: September 28, 2014, 11:16:21 AM by Tufty »

abudabi

« Reply #45 on: September 28, 2014, 11:50:03 AM »
Jake Johnson.... The Holden Caulfield of skateboarding?
hahaha
i hated that book but he sounds like it

Paul Cicero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -296
« Reply #46 on: September 28, 2014, 03:51:10 PM »
What he said about skaters not even saying hi or whatever to each other is spot on.
When I was younger I used to love it if the older guys at the park or spot wanted to
chat. These days everyone is way to into themselves for that.

Monty Burns

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -325
  • Release the hounds
« Reply #47 on: September 28, 2014, 04:18:06 PM »
What he said about skaters not even saying hi or whatever to each other is spot on.
When I was younger I used to love it if the older guys at the park or spot wanted to

This is just because its more skaters these days . Back in the day you needed to watch your surroundings abit since it was almost open season on skateboarders . People starting fights with you because you wore the clothes or had a board . When it was like that and there were fewer of us it was easier to recognize and know other skaters

If you saw somebody back in the day with a DC shirt you knew they skated and you would atleast give a polite nod . Skateparks and spots that had maybe 20 people befor and was abit tighter crew now has 150 people and you cant keep track of them

Paul Cicero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -296
« Reply #48 on: September 28, 2014, 04:24:57 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

This is just because its more skaters these days . Back in the day you needed to watch your surroundings abit since it was almost open season on skateboarders . People starting fights with you because you wore the clothes or had a board . When it was like that and there were fewer of us it was easier to recognize and know other skaters

If you saw somebody back in the day with a DC shirt you knew they skated and you would atleast give a polite nod . Skateparks and spots that had maybe 20 people befor and was abit tighter crew now has 150 people and you cant keep track of them

I see your point Mr Burns, I guess I just miss the sense of community.

sharkbarf

• Rep: 2
« Reply #49 on: September 28, 2014, 08:58:46 PM »
That was a good interview but I think in 10 years there will be another one of these interviews from someone again.

Canuck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 348
« Reply #50 on: September 28, 2014, 09:03:04 PM »
Start your own company man!

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 284
« Reply #51 on: September 28, 2014, 09:09:11 PM »

Yes, i remember back in the day (not even THAT long ago actually) if you went to a spot and saw another skater you could just go up and say hi to them and be friends right off the spot. That's how i met the majority of the skate homies i have now actually; that's how life long bonds were made, hah. But like Monty said, there's more of them now, so it's understandable to see the change.

shark tits

« Reply #52 on: September 28, 2014, 09:13:25 PM »
i don't know, major cities have always seemed stuck up. especially if there's a clique. i could find an individual here and there to pal around w/ in SF but boston i'd see 5-7 other little posses going about thier day, we ours. that was in the 90s. it's a weird dynamic, people in a group are maybe cocky, dude by himself maybe nervous. i try to holler at everyone if they're age appropriate. kids w/ skateboards aren't skateboarders yet. some will metamorphasize like tadpoles but most won't. fuck em.
i guess anywhere if ya find someone skating alone they're more likely to be cool than if they're w/ their looser friends.

krookedjuice

• Rep: 30
« Reply #53 on: September 28, 2014, 09:34:21 PM »
hands down one of the best reads. "I think skateboarding is supposed to be anti-social. It?s supposed to be anti-culture. It?s supposed to be hated, cause it?s so different" that right there is the absolute truth.

Dirtymac

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -54
« Reply #54 on: September 29, 2014, 08:51:37 AM »
He may as well make the best of it and try to effect change doing what he loves cause I got news homie...youre not going to find what youre looking for in the engineering field or any other work endeavor. Life is tough the worlds a jungle and most folks are out for themselves and will stab you in the back for a cookie. Welcome to the real world Mr. Johnson. Sucks but it's true. I think him starting his own deal is definitely the best course. Lord knows he's got the love of the underground/core scene going for him. Seems like a nice intelligent young man and is definitely an awesome skater. I hope he finds happiness doing what he loves
"Never talk shit about a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes. That way you're a mile away AND you've got his shoes"

captainfalcon69

• Rep: 15
« Reply #55 on: September 29, 2014, 09:14:44 AM »
He may as well make the best of it and try to effect change doing what he loves cause I got news homie...youre not going to find what youre looking for in the engineering field or any other work endeavor. Life is tough the worlds a jungle and most folks are out for themselves and will stab you in the back for a cookie. Welcome to the real world Mr. Johnson. Sucks but it's true. I think him starting his own deal is definitely the best course. Lord knows he's got the love of the underground/core scene going for him. Seems like a nice intelligent young man and is definitely an awesome skater. I hope he finds happiness doing what he loves

i think what he meant was the finanial security that engineering or any other "work endeavor" job would provide. like someone said earlier, the industry fucked him and left him with nothing.

Dirtymac

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -54
« Reply #56 on: September 29, 2014, 10:41:11 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

i think what he meant was the finanial security that engineering or any other "work endeavor" job would provide. like someone said earlier, the industry fucked him and left him with nothing.
Agreed. He just seems diallusioned to me and it happens to all of us when we realize the cruel truths about life. But yeah its a shame that 90% of these kids doing this have no plan whatsoever for the future and will most likely end up packing boxes in some warehouse. He seems articulate and well rounded enough to find his way though. Maybe he needs to ring up Mark Sucui(sp??) That guys doing it right IMO
"Never talk shit about a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes. That way you're a mile away AND you've got his shoes"

Getty

• Rep: 48
« Reply #57 on: September 29, 2014, 11:51:51 AM »
Fascinating.

When Jake Johnson can't find a place in the industry where he can just do his thing, skate, "keep a good mind" (love that phrase) & produce gnarly footage, things are definitely shifting. The dude would be any brand's dream pro. He's devoted, loyal, dedicated as fuck, smart, just wants to skate and produce and be left the fuck alone.

Listening, Pontus?

natenola forever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 118
« Reply #58 on: September 29, 2014, 12:38:18 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Agreed. He just seems diallusioned to me and it happens to all of us when we realize the cruel truths about life. But yeah its a shame that 90% of these kids doing this have no plan whatsoever for the future and will most likely end up packing boxes in some warehouse. He seems articulate and well rounded enough to find his way though. Maybe he needs to ring up Mark Sucui(sp??) That guys doing it right IMO
When he was on the Map Masquerade he had a lot of issues with Quiksilver quiting their skate program, i guess he put  a lot of work into stuff with those dudes and he got fucked on that, i'm wondering if there was even some video nonsense like him filming for a video that never came out and the footage being held in some weird limbo. But everything i've ever heard he brings up the Quiksilver issue and how he can't deal with corporate skateboarding

Phil

• Rep: -48
« Reply #59 on: September 29, 2014, 01:37:25 PM »
Im so incredibly happy that were finally getting honest interviews from people. No more PC BS.

This interview really illuminates the divide in skating today.