Author Topic: What happened to Daniel Harold Sturt?  (Read 11288 times)

Durndle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 7
  • Denton. Gateway to Durndle
What happened to Daniel Harold Sturt?
« on: September 30, 2014, 06:05:11 AM »
I know he shot with Rowley, Arto, Jamie, Wray, Templeton. (pretty much all the gnarliest dudes) in the 90's/early 2000's, but did he ever photograph skateboarders again? That era was so timeless that I'm almost glad I don't know anything about him. but fuck..

Chavo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 217
Re: What happened to Daniel Harold Sturt?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2014, 02:47:02 PM »
Sturt photographed a couple of Thrasher covers in 2005 (Danny Way and Rowley). I think he shot some Rowley ads as late as 2009? Maybe there's just not a market for the sepia-toned black and white 35mm still photos that he's known for. Sturt's also known not to use fisheye lenses that often (which comprises 95% of all skate magazine photos since the late '70s).

shark tits

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2014, 03:08:56 PM »
he was the phil spector of skate photography. he would use his compound bow to intimidate skaters into performing maneuvers they weren't comfortable w/. he wears a wig. it won't be long before he makes the back pages of the news, going too far w/ his weaponry and camera.

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1475
  • Illusion Flip
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2014, 03:45:44 PM »
Jesus.  That's what happened.

Schismatic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 4
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2014, 12:14:25 AM »
I know he shot with Rowley, Arto, Jamie, Wray, Templeton. (pretty much all the gnarliest dudes) in the 90's/early 2000's, but did he ever photograph skateboarders again? That era was so timeless that I'm almost glad I don't know anything about him. but fuck..

Seems weird to just associate him with that era. When I think Sturt I think of Matt Hensley and swing flips, and as possibly the single most talented skateboard photographer ever.

Heather Chandler

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2014, 01:41:12 AM »
If anyone needs an Epicly Later'd it's this guy.  Crazy, likes weapons, did the loop. 

TheDraught

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65249
  • Team -65K
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2014, 01:00:29 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Seems weird to just associate him with that era. When I think Sturt I think of Matt Hensley and swing flips, and as possibly the single most talented skateboard photographer ever.

Agreed. So much good stuff, like this one below. Also love the "poached" shots of Danny Way.

Schismatic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 4
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2014, 07:38:13 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Agreed. So much good stuff, like this one below. Also love the "poached" shots of Danny Way.

Love that underpass shot.

Another all time favorite:

Wizard Fight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -191
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2014, 10:23:31 AM »

able

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 636
  • omm nom
    • able Skate Mag avatar image
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2014, 10:46:01 AM »

So, DC built this HUGE vert ramp. ^

At the time nothing had ever been built so large.
I think it was something like 16 feet tall and was built at an airport.
No one except for people associated with DC or airport employees could even get anywhere close to the thing.
Rumors were circulating around that Danny Way had planned to do a boneless off of a helicopter into this giant ramp.

Daniel Sturt heard about this, so he found a way to get past airport security by wearing an almost identical uniform.
Rumor has it, he drove a golf cart vehicle a quarter mile away (to not arise suspicion) and set up his camera.
While DC had all their cameras and production ready for Danny Way to do the helicopter drop in the ramp,
Sturt quietly aimed his giant 1000mm lens.
Sturt's photo ran as the cover of Thrasher before DC could debut it the trick for their new ad campaign.
ableSkateMag.com

360 frip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65505
  • -65 G 4 RYFE
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2014, 06:03:19 AM »

So, DC built this HUGE vert ramp. ^

At the time nothing had ever been built so large.
I think it was something like 16 feet tall and was built at an airport.
No one except for people associated with DC or airport employees could even get anywhere close to the thing.
Rumors were circulating around that Danny Way had planned to do a boneless off of a helicopter into this giant ramp.

Daniel Sturt heard about this, so he found a way to get past airport security by wearing an almost identical uniform.
Rumor has it, he drove a golf cart vehicle a quarter mile away (to not arise suspicion) and set up his camera.
While DC had all their cameras and production ready for Danny Way to do the helicopter drop in the ramp,
Sturt quietly aimed his giant 1000mm lens.
Sturt's photo ran as the cover of Thrasher before DC could debut it the trick for their new ad campaign.

Thanks. I'd never heard that. Such a fucking great story.
"I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT PEOPLE LIKE ME AS A MEMBER." Groucho

"Sorry 360 frip, you are banned from using this forum!" HATE

perverted super otaku!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -217
  • "Needless to say, I had the last laugh."
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2014, 06:41:38 AM »
Fuck what a legend

blurst_of_times

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 794
    • Skateboarding Magazine Scans avatar image
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2018, 06:05:29 PM »
BUMP

Anyone know anything about what Sturt has been up to recently?
There was no wire. Clark's planet needed him.
 Note: Clark Hassler died on the way back to his home planet.

Get fired up

• Rep: -54
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2018, 05:35:24 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

That Hensley photo is the desk top on my work computer.   Sturt’s my favorite skate photographer ever, an Epically later’d would be amazing. 

MOE SYZLAK

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 800
  • "I never got to taste cantaloupe"
    • Cassette Skate Shop avatar image
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2018, 06:12:08 PM »
I remember transworld ( I think) running a letter he wrote officially quitting / retiring from all things Skateboarding. Something like no one ever officially quits Skateboarding so he was making it official that he quit.

alonelikeastone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 83
  • 608z.
    • Meh. avatar image
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2018, 08:12:34 PM »
He is a strange dude in an amazing way

He did the loop & had one of Bob's workers press the shutter button when he was at the top of the loop.

Remember the fake blood in the knee pads at a vert contest?

Hensley has said to me Sturt would say things like are you ready to "walk the line" today, as in the line of death.

Also, very few people knew where he lives. He would just meet them.
yeah a documentary on him would be unreal.

Remember he did a back flip while on a swing? with a board in his feet? its super fucked & I assumed it was fake, but maybe not.