Author Topic: Any current 1992 shape decks?  (Read 17189 times)

DISTANT RUMOURS

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 394
Re: Any current 1992 shape decks?
« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2013, 04:21:10 PM »
Haha agreed!

But those huuuuuuge pants... I dont think i can ever forgive myself for that ;-)

JBones

• Rep: -88
« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2013, 05:20:11 PM »
Haha agreed!

But those huuuuuuge pants... I dont think i can ever forgive myself for that ;-)

Haha, well at least are nuts and our knees had room to breathe.  ;D

Young Satchel

• Rep: 19
« Reply #32 on: September 23, 2013, 07:04:05 PM »
JBones those scans were sick. 

In 92 I think I was still riding my first skateboard; an Alva Freddie Smith Punk Size with some ventures and big old wheels on it that my  grandfather sent me from SF for christmas when I was 8.  Like you said, shit switched dramatically in 93 and all of a sudden my skateboard looked giant and wheel sizes plummeted toward roller-blade-esque proportions. The next set up I purchased was an SMA slick with like 42mm wheels on it. ;)

JBones

« Reply #33 on: September 23, 2013, 11:27:58 PM »

In 92 I think I was still riding my first skateboard; an Alva Freddie Smith Punk Size with some ventures and big old wheels on it that my  grandfather sent me from SF for christmas when I was 8.  Like you said, shit switched dramatically in 93 and all of a sudden my skateboard looked giant and wheel sizes plummeted toward roller-blade-esque proportions. The next set up I purchased was an SMA slick with like 42mm wheels on it. ;)
haha, rad man!
I'm not that diff than you. I had stopped skating for a little over a year or so an then wanted to get back into it in 1992.
I had no skater friends around me nor knew anyone that was a skater.
I heard about this indoor park in the newspaper, so I go to it one random Saturday and WHAMMMMM!
It was like I walked into some alternate reality!
Me in my ripped knee jeans, cross earring, Vision beret and with my fingerless gloves and hotrod flame Airwalk Vic's - when everyone there had size 48 mens pants on cut off at the ankle and fraying, XXXL t-shirts and beanies, they had small football shaped decks (9" inch wide haha small) and microscopic tiny little wheels. I was scared shitless dude! I thought by going there that day I'd finally I'd fit in because I was the only skater of anyone I knew - and here I was the big fuckin oddball! Back then if you didn't knwo people into skating and had no magazines and no videos you only knew that neon tv version of skateboarding, that or 1990's Nickelodeon show Sk8TV
I took my 1989 McGill skull & snake with it's neon griptape and big ass wheels and asked my big brother that took me if we could leave rigth away. I was freaked out. I was just a teenager. I had already went through too many years of being picked on cuz I was once the fat kid. Now I had lost 60lbs and didn't want to again be the un-cool guy. After about an hour he talked me into going back and not caring. I did, I sucked it up and I did. I learned how to pump on a 6ft mini ramp that day. Memories of the simple things. :)
A few months later I finally saved up enough to get a new deck, a TV Mike Vallely deck and some Real Guerrero 42mm wheels.
By then I'm pretty sure I had some huge ass pants and some suede olive green Vans (back when they were still Made In USA haha!)

Even then I knew I wasn't the only one that had a huge culture shock that year. It was worldwide!
Shit was changing in the blink of an eye. It was nuts what happened in skateboarding from 1991 to 1993.
I mean think of it now - how much different is skateboarding in September of 2013 than in September of 2011?
Not too damn different. What? Nyjah cut off his dreads, a lil kid landed a 1080, Formula Fours finally came out and a few guys switched their sponsors - wooopity fuckin dooo! Everyone still skates the same and looks the same and rides the same sized and shaped boards. A restart of what skateboarding is will never happen again like it did from 91-93.
The younger generation will never know how crazy the big bang evolution of skateboarding was back then, ya had to live it to really understand how crazy it was - reading about it and watching videos about it really never could cut it.
I'm obviously a very proud dude to have lived through it.
Yes - lived "though it"!  ;D
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 11:38:18 PM by JBones »

DISTANT RUMOURS

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2013, 12:39:31 AM »
Yeah that was a weird time.

I remember buying a new fish shaped santa cruz board in 1991 and 6 months later everyone was skating starting to skate those weird football things. A lot of kids around here sanded down the graphic of their boards and sawed a new shape out of their old school decks...

I remember my dad also trimming down some speed wheels to 45 mm at his job... Kids were pretty poor around here, so we had to do it that way.

gaunting

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2013, 12:50:55 AM »
Expand Quote

In 92 I think I was still riding my first skateboard; an Alva Freddie Smith Punk Size with some ventures and big old wheels on it that my  grandfather sent me from SF for christmas when I was 8.  Like you said, shit switched dramatically in 93 and all of a sudden my skateboard looked giant and wheel sizes plummeted toward roller-blade-esque proportions. The next set up I purchased was an SMA slick with like 42mm wheels on it. ;)
[close]
haha, rad man!
I'm not that diff than you. I had stopped skating for a little over a year or so an then wanted to get back into it in 1992.

I heard about this indoor park in the newspaper, so I go to it one random Saturday and WHAMMMMM!
Me in my ripped knee jeans, cross earring, Vision beret and with my fingerless gloves and hotrod flame Airwalk Vic's - when everyone there had size 48 mens pants on cut off at the ankle and fraying, XXXL t-shirts and beanies, they had small football shaped decks (9" inch wide haha small) and microscopic tiny little wheels. I was scared shitless dude! I thought by going there that day I'd finally I'd fit in because I was the only skater of anyone I knew - and here I was the big fuckin oddball! Back then if you didn't knwo people into skating and had no magazines and no videos you only knew that neon tv version of skateboarding, that or 1990's Nickelodeon show Sk8TV

I took my 1989 McGill skull & snake with it's neon griptape and big ass wheels and asked my big brother that took me if we could leave rigth away. I was freaked out. I was just a teenager. I had already went through too many years of being picked on cuz I was once the fat kid. Now I had lost 60lbs and didn't want to again be the un-cool guy. After about an hour he talked me into going back and not caring. I did, I sucked it up and I did. I learned how to pump on a 6ft mini ramp that day. Memories of the simple things. :)
A few months later I finally saved up enough to get a new deck, a TV Mike Vallely deck and some Real Guerrero 42mm wheels.
By then I'm pretty sure I had some huge ass pants and some suede olive green Vans (back when they were still Made In USA haha!)

Even then I knew I wasn't the only one that had a huge culture shock that year. It was worldwide!
Shit was changing in the blink of an eye. It was nuts what happened in skateboarding from 1991 to 1993.
I mean think of it now - how much different is skateboarding in September of 2013 than in September of 2011?
Not too damn different. What? Nyjah cut off his dreads, a lil kid landed a 1080, Formula Fours finally came out and a few guys switched their
sponsors - wooopity fuckin dooo! Everyone still skates the same and looks the same and rides the same sized and shaped boards. A restart of
what skateboarding is will never happen again like it did from 91-93.
The younger generation will never know how crazy the big bang evolution of skateboarding was back then, ya had to live it to really understand how crazy it was - reading about it and watching videos about it really never could cut it.

Your right that it hasn't changed much in the past two years, but if I look back to when I started skating (early 2000) it's changed so much, I remember riding a 7.5, and having those ridiculous eS koston 3's, and it wasn't "cool" to ride any sort of transition.
This has me cracking up, what exactly does Black Flag have to do with measuring your dick starting behind ya nuts?

Skateboarding is nothing but a game to find the right fits to appear like you're a proportional human being instead of a midget or a giant.

JBones

« Reply #36 on: September 24, 2013, 02:13:19 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
haha, rad man!

Not too damn different. What? Nyjah cut off his dreads, a lil kid landed a 1080, Formula Fours finally came out and a few guys switched their
sponsors - wooopity fuckin dooo! Everyone still skates the same and looks the same and rides the same sized and shaped boards. A restart of
[close]

Your right that it hasn't changed much in the past two years, but if I look back to when I started skating (early 2000) it's changed so much, I remember riding a 7.5, and having those ridiculous eS koston 3's, and it wasn't "cool" to ride any sort of transition.
haha, that's nuthin. You ever get yer board jacked cuz yer wheels weren't small enough?
You ever get beat up cuz yer pants weren't baggy enough or God forbid you couldn't kickflip late shuv? Or get your deck focused because it was last months graphic?
That kinda shit happened in 92-94 everyday...those were dark days. Shit got real fuckin ghetto, real fast. Luckily I was no part of that scene, but had enough of a taste of it to know I needed to run and go hide or get in fights daily because I did what I wanted to do and said fuck rules. I had my own group of dudes and we stayed away from the social version of skateboarding, and in the end I eventually stopped because of alot of those reasons, focused on my music career and made it out alive to be able to once again be a skater in this decade.

Skateboarding in the years between 1992-1994 was like being a "Heather". You had to fit into what THEY wanted you to be, and that was that. Otherwise you got the fuck out while you still could.
(if you don't know what a "Heather" is, look it up and watch it, you'll get it)

We're lucky cuz today nobody really gives a fuck. It's a great time to be alive and to be a skateboarder today for alot of reasons, but in a lot of ways it was to me a better time to be a skateboarder back then. Mostly because of the skating evolving everyday, the tricks and the spots all being new, less hassle, and skating not being in the limelight everywhere, everything was special.
All the cool whacky gear we had coming out, even if some of it sucked it was still fuckin rad - as for the attitudes, they can stay in the past, fuck em, there was nothing good about that shit!
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 02:22:38 AM by JBones »

commander jameson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 72
« Reply #37 on: September 24, 2013, 04:40:46 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
haha, rad man!

[close]

[close]
haha, that's nuthin. You ever get yer board jacked cuz yer wheels weren't small enough?
You ever get beat up cuz yer pants weren't baggy enough or God forbid you couldn't kickflip late shuv? Or get your deck focused because it was last months graphic?
That kinda shit happened in 92-94 everyday...those were dark days. Shit got real fuckin ghetto, real fast. Luckily I was no part of that scene, but had enough of a taste of it to know I needed to run and go hide or get in fights daily because I did what I wanted to do and said fuck rules. I had my own group of dudes and we stayed away from the social version of skateboarding, and in the end I eventually stopped because of alot of those reasons, focused on my music career and made it out alive to be able to once again be a skater in this decade.

Skateboarding in the years between 1992-1994 was like being a "Heather". You had to fit into what THEY wanted you to be, and that was that. Otherwise you got the fuck out while you still could.

We're lucky cuz today nobody really gives a fuck. It's a great time to be alive and to be a skateboarder today for alot of reasons, but in a lot of ways it was to me a better time to be a skateboarder back then. Mostly because of the skating evolving everyday, the tricks and the spots all being new, less hassle, and skating not being in the limelight everywhere, everything was special.
All the cool whacky gear we had coming out, even if some of it sucked it was still fuckin rad - as for the attitudes, they can stay in the past, fuck em, there was nothing good about that shit!

I can totally relate to that.
I had Powell Peralta McGill Stinger deck and I had to sand it down to more narrow shape.
We also trimmed down old wheels to a new small shapes.

My friends telling me that I'm a moron because I was going to buy "big ass" wheels. Those "big ass" wheels were actually 48 mm. They were the biggest I could find and I had to get them because I was poor and couldn't afford to change wheels every other week.

Skating was amazing back then, sort of uncharted territory skating wise, every month there was some new trick or some new combination of tricks, lots of those were ugly and done poorly but that's price of progress and experimentation.
After 94 skating was starting to get cleaner and cleaner, but some tricks were still marked uncool.
Today, everything is acceptable and that is great.

JBones

« Reply #38 on: September 24, 2013, 11:43:08 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
haha, rad man!

[close]

[close]

[close]

I can totally relate to that.
I had Powell Peralta McGill Stinger deck and I had to sand it down to more narrow shape.
We also trimmed down old wheels to a new small shapes.

My friends telling me that I'm a moron because I was going to buy "big ass" wheels. Those "big ass" wheels were actually 48 mm. They were the biggest I could find and I had to get them because I was poor and couldn't afford to change wheels every other week.

Skating was amazing back then, sort of uncharted territory skating wise, every month there was some new trick or some new combination of tricks, lots of those were ugly and done poorly but that's price of progress and experimentation.
After 94 skating was starting to get cleaner and cleaner, but some tricks were still marked uncool.
Today, everything is acceptable and that is great.
Shit dude, now that you say that I realize my deck was the Stinger. I blanked out and had forgot that my first McGill, which i said had been run over by a bus in 1990. I too took the Stinger and re-shaped it. I used a jigsaw, and it was terrible.  :P

Yer dead on right about the tricks thing. When I started skating again a few years back I had such a laugh at the fact that people were doing Bonelesses and No Complys again and thinkin like they had done them all along. Unless you skated in the 80's you had no idea what a Boneless or anything that didn't involve popping the board or flipping it was in those years. Everything was like that, it's crazy how they made something so creative and wonderful, so rule orientated.
I recently watched this Venice street contest from 1992, everyone was there and the crowd was all going nuts for anyone that was doing anything, every little kickflip or 180 flip or noseslide or flip into grind or whatever, and then all of a sudden Mike V throws out a crazy streetplant and fuckin A dude, you would'a thought he stuck his dick out to a 10 year old kid or suttin. The crowd got quiet, and were all awked out, and acted like they were offended, then the camera went off him. When I recently saw that I was reminded of how regardless of the bullshit corporate stuff we have today, how rad skateboarding is right now. Were lucky. Everythings cool again.
If a dude busted into a street plant in a contest right now, the crowd would flip the fuck out get excited, because of stupid contest formats he might "score Low", but people would get stoked as fuck and kids would be goin home trying them. Again what's old becomes new again.  :)

Young Satchel

• Rep: 19
« Reply #39 on: September 24, 2013, 12:17:54 PM »
This thread turned out great. It's like the "over 20 (30) and still skating" annex.

JBones

« Reply #40 on: September 24, 2013, 12:34:43 PM »
Anybody else have a 1992 setup in their quiver? I do and I love it!

DISTANT RUMOURS

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #41 on: September 24, 2013, 12:41:35 PM »
Does the new darkroom harlequin qualify as a 1992 shape ?

janky858

« Reply #42 on: September 24, 2013, 12:59:30 PM »
welcome skateboards.

JBones

« Reply #43 on: September 24, 2013, 01:14:30 PM »
Football shaped deck, 8.75"-9.25", wheelbase has to be under 14.25", small tail, and short overall length.
That kinda deck...ya know, period accurate. Santa Cruz nailed it, and a few others have too. Most fuck up the wheelbase thing though.
Even Real with it's new Wicked Gnarly Ishod deck got it right, it's 9" wide and has a 14.25" wb on a football shape.

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #44 on: September 24, 2013, 01:47:16 PM »
this is going to be next after the welcome sloth

JBones

« Reply #45 on: September 24, 2013, 02:17:56 PM »

My local shop got one of those, and I measured it last week.
It was just under 31.5" long, and had a bigger wheelbase of 15". The wheelbase thing bummed me out because a deck like that should have a small early 90's wheelbase. Gad a small nose, around 4 or 5" long.
The other one in that series, the Ishod one, is pretty 1992 accurate. Has 14.25" wheelbase and the bigger standard nose.

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #46 on: September 25, 2013, 11:43:00 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

My local shop got one of those, and I measured it last week.
It was just under 31.5" long, and had a bigger wheelbase of 15". The wheelbase thing bummed me out because a deck like that should have a small early 90's wheelbase. Gad a small nose, around 4 or 5" long.
The other one in that series, the Ishod one, is pretty 1992 accurate. Has 14.25" wheelbase and the bigger standard nose.

eesh, nevermind. I thought it'd have a normal nose.

JBones

« Reply #47 on: September 25, 2013, 12:25:08 PM »
Sorry dude, I think they wanted to make it a fun cruiser or curb killer machine.

fang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 195
« Reply #48 on: October 13, 2014, 09:02:22 AM »
seen a few of these shapes around the 9.12" width size... guessing I should get some 159's on this, cuz 169s would stick out? (im assuming the wide part is the middle thus 9.12 there, but more like 8.75" at the truck locations)