Author Topic: crazy instagram clip thread  (Read 773189 times)

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
Re: crazy instagram clip thread
« Reply #1290 on: May 31, 2017, 05:44:59 PM »
Expand Quote
god I hate it when the penny haters come out in the comments and have NO FUCKING IDEA what they are talking about :-\
[close]

I hate when people won't acknowledge that Penny had two good years 20 years ago and this mummy version is not the same guy who was in high 5.
see now you're just being ridiculous, dude was a child prodigy and has killed it on the board for a good 30 years now (as you so kindly pointed out). Sure, he's not the same guy he used to be (who is?) but the magic still exists within him and he's still a skate rat to the core. I guarantee that even in 2017 you could take him to a mini ramp in ANY condition an the would absolutely fucking blow your mind just doing warm up tricks. Want to know what else is amazing about him? Doesn't give a single fuck about trends and will skate/ dress the way he does till the day he dies. The Penny hate has to stop, dude will go down in the hall of fame next to gonz and the other greats.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 06:30:30 PM by Gay Imp Sausage Metal »

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Budgie Lasek

« Reply #1291 on: May 31, 2017, 07:51:39 PM »
I was just as down for Penny as anyone in their right mind during his prime, which was roughly 93' - 98'. Closest thing to a favorite skater I ever had (always found it hard to narrow down to just one person). Still love to see clips from that era. But I'm not one of the people who's so obsessed that I get offended if anyone speaks honestly about how poorly his skills have aged. Considering how naturally talented he is/was, it would have been nuts if he held it together over the years. But instead we have a Tom who constantly looks like he's relearning to skate after a traumatic back injury. In my mind he only ever had one part, High Five. Everything after that (aside from clips here and there like the 411 Flip industry section, TSA) was sketchy Tom. His style has maintained much better on transition.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1292 on: May 31, 2017, 08:14:05 PM »
But I'm not one of the people who's so obsessed that I get offended if anyone speaks honestly about how poorly his skills have aged.
In all honesty I don't think they have, it's just that everyone holds him such a high level because of how flawless he was in his prime.
case in point:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSgsg10ELOM
dude was around 36/37 here and absolutely killing it for his age but people criticize his style because he doesn't look how he looked when he was 19. that is a SOLID fucking part for someone that age and his style and trick selection (at least imho) is on point!
« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 08:20:02 PM by Gay Imp Sausage Metal »

soma's little yelpers

• Rep: -11
« Reply #1293 on: May 31, 2017, 09:46:50 PM »
i figure he's the urchild for drugs/booze fucking your career before drugs/booze fucked your career. i mean: that talent when it was at it's height (and i was 14 watching 411 euro contest vids) was unparalleled. but, if you did what he did then now: you'd be tossed off, bitching at some so-called documentary filmmaker in your iowa backyard. 

me, i think the blame SHOULD go to reynolds/greco: he/they got sober and showed the industry that people could last, as opposed to justt straight icarus like penny did (his new shit looks like an old wobbly stoner half hanging to his old seamless style. it is). and i think that's too bad. i always figured the ethos of skating implied burnouts. stopped spots. dead kids. downtown at night when everyone else had gone home. once baker pricks got drunk and THEN sober the whole industry was like: fuckup/redeem. that's heavy on people. i don't like it. 

soma's little yelpers

• Rep: -11
« Reply #1294 on: May 31, 2017, 09:52:34 PM »
i should add: disappearing at the height of your career to denmark or basque country or the drained pools under the eiffel tower to just be a dirtbag i wouldn't want on my couch is a fucking man's move

Budgie Lasek

« Reply #1295 on: May 31, 2017, 09:57:10 PM »
^ I remember that part. I love Penny, but almost all those tricks looked gross to me. Last trick looked like he did it smooth, possibly without the awkward after-landing pose like he's surprised he's rolling away.

When people talk about 'what could have been' in reference to Tom's skating these days, it's because we know he was literally one of the all-time most naturally, insanely talented skateboarders ever. He was every pro's favorite skater, and a lot of those guys are still pro, looking a lot more comfortable on their boards than Tom. For someone who held almost god-like status as Mr First Try Smooth As Butter, it appears out of character to see him looking so sketchy and filming stuff that his peers would be embarrassed to put out. It's Penny, shouldn't he be the smoothest skater ever with this many years of experience? The answer - drugs and alcohol. End of story.

shit_for_brains

« Reply #1296 on: June 01, 2017, 05:21:57 AM »
You're all fucking tripping. Penny has been Skinny Pete for 98% of his "skate career" and was a gift from god for the blink of an eye in comparison. You're more delusional about this cracked out little rodent than the rest of these boards are about Gino.

GISM you're outraged to tears by any little thing that disagrees with your overly wordy opinions so I care less about that than I do Tom Penny's shitty skating.

Robert Baratheon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 40
« Reply #1297 on: June 01, 2017, 06:36:03 AM »
You're all fucking tripping. Penny has been Skinny Pete for 98% of his "skate career" and was a gift from god for the blink of an eye in comparison. You're more delusional about this cracked out little rodent than the rest of these boards are about Gino.

GISM you're outraged to tears by any little thing that disagrees with your overly wordy opinions so I care less about that than I do Tom Penny's shitty skating.

Got to agree with SFB here. If someone sells boards or has a 'legendary' status, I have no problem with him having a board.

But dude is a shadow of himself. Loved seeing him in Sorry but, deep down, we know it was disappointing. And that was 15 years ago.

Budo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 114
    • So What is Skateboarding? avatar image
« Reply #1298 on: June 01, 2017, 09:10:40 AM »
I say Penny gets a pass because the thing everyone loved about his so much is how relaxed he looked on the board, but now he has evolved that relaxation so far that it is too much and doesn't look "good".

Not good enough for the "crazy instagram clip thread", but he still has us talking for a whole page hah.
Keep Rolling!

sowhatskateboarding.com
@OuRoot

tortfeasor

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 341
« Reply #1299 on: June 01, 2017, 12:01:52 PM »
seeing penny skate is like seeing Bob Dylan live.  If you know and love the music its amazing because you get to see a legend. you know what its "supposed" to sound like and the impact it made.   if you don't know the music it just sounds like sloppy nonsense a 7 year old could do. you cant even make out the song nor recognize its importance.  

i think we are seeing a generational gap. if you were a big penny fan in his era obviously you are going to love seeing him do a shuv, but if you only heard that penny is a legend-- you are just gunna be confused as to what all the hype is.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 12:03:47 PM by tortfeasor »
more heaven-cruise than hell-ride.

shit_for_brains

« Reply #1300 on: June 01, 2017, 12:51:00 PM »
Not for me. I'm 35 and watched Europe 1997 until the tape wore out. Watched him in the Hook Ups video. All of it. Penny used to rip temporarily and then turned into whatever this is.

MintySandwhich

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -128
« Reply #1301 on: June 01, 2017, 01:10:05 PM »
seeing penny skate is like seeing Bob Dylan live.  If you know and love the music its amazing because you get to see a legend. you know what its "supposed" to sound like and the impact it made.   if you don't know the music it just sounds like sloppy nonsense a 7 year old could do. you cant even make out the song nor recognize its importance.  

i think we are seeing a generational gap. if you were a big penny fan in his era obviously you are going to love seeing him do a shuv, but if you only heard that penny is a legend-- you are just gunna be confused as to what all the hype is.

This is the most accurate observation/analogy i have ever read on here. +1

RCB3

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 422
« Reply #1302 on: June 01, 2017, 01:43:39 PM »

As a big Bob Dylan fan whose seen him 4 times live in concert, this is a spot on analysis.

Irvine-Sucks.com

Swithflip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -748
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #1303 on: June 01, 2017, 01:55:58 PM »
This explains how continuous use of weed is destructive.

Budgie Lasek

« Reply #1304 on: June 01, 2017, 05:37:41 PM »
@tortfeasor - except I've been skating since the mid 80's and have seen pretty much every Penny clip when it came out, starting with the 411 part of him skating Radlands and rolling weed. What you described is the opposite of what I, and many others, are saying. We're let down because we know how good he looked on a board, and he is a mere shell of his former self. Frontside kickflips became my main go-to for many years because of Penny. It's clearly the drugs and alcohol that did him in. It's actually somewhat entertaining to hear people gushing over footage of someone looking so bad on a skateboard - kind of like swearing your local sports team is the best when they haven't won a game in decades. Everyone knows you're delusional and can't accept the truth.

Imagine if some golf pro showed up out of nowhere and did nothing but get hole-in-ones for a few years, only to disappear in the midst of his prime. Then years later, he returns to the spotlight, with much more media coverage than ever before, but he's barely making par... and he's very clearly an alcoholic/drug addict. There would be documentaries all about that downfall. Nobody would be saying 'he's still got it!'.

But anyway, I don't want to keep arguing this point because I'd prefer to just remember how dope Penny was.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1305 on: June 01, 2017, 05:50:24 PM »
You're more delusional about this cracked out little rodent than the rest of these boards are about Gino.
woah, now you're just over exaggerating son. I don't get a boner over him pushing (or shopping)...
To be honest that "line" that was posted was probably just him warming up in the morning with a massive hangover/ not giving a single shit, it's not like it was his latest video part or anything. Probably didn't even know anyone was filming him.
Again, watch that DC warehouse vid, the first min is PURE Penny (switch crook + switch flip on the quarter line being the perfect example) and if you don't think so then you're just clouded by your hate towards him.
What I will say about his current style, and I have been claiming this theory for years, is that he definitely looks better when he's NOT skating in hightops and this is evident in that first minute of the DC vid. If Penny is my Gino tho, so be it I guess? Shit could be worse...

edit: +1 for tortfeasor
« Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 06:10:22 PM by Gay Imp Sausage Metal »

Budgie Lasek

« Reply #1306 on: June 01, 2017, 08:23:26 PM »
I bet ya Penny was Gino's Gino. Haha. Any Gino freaks remember if he ever said who his favorites were ? But yeah, how people regard Gino is very similar to Tom. I'd say Gino's style has aged better, even if he does the simplest shit ever now. Tom should start killing vert again, he doesn't look as awkward on transition. That, would be rad.

shit_for_brains

« Reply #1307 on: June 01, 2017, 09:19:35 PM »
Gino looks ten million times better than Penny

GatorsGhost

• Rep: 116
    • Chilogy avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.

Chris

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 12
« Reply #1309 on: June 01, 2017, 10:44:09 PM »
^^^^^ Lemons is the best!^^^^^^

KoRnholio8

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1466
  • SkateMagArchive
    • SkateMagArchive avatar image
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.

DISTANT RUMOURS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 394
« Reply #1312 on: June 02, 2017, 03:12:00 AM »
Tiago is incredible.

I've been to Macba 5 times, that isn't even a ledge, that's a small wall!

eranka

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 203
« Reply #1313 on: June 02, 2017, 03:45:22 AM »
i tried scraping a fs noseslide on that wall, his trick doesnt even make sense.

shit_for_brains

« Reply #1314 on: June 02, 2017, 05:19:36 AM »
Absurd. And he slid it long as hell. I feel upset.

JB

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 858
  • Rusty Berrings Roll Forever
« Reply #1315 on: June 02, 2017, 06:36:24 AM »
jesus christ. it was up to his shoulders when he bent down. and he didnt need to slide it that far.

Nate

• Rep: 41

Can of Soup

« Reply #1317 on: June 08, 2017, 07:24:46 AM »

TheDraught

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65249
  • Team -65K
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1318 on: June 08, 2017, 11:32:25 AM »
Quote from: Nate  link=topic=82020.msg2648020#msg2648020 date=1496435603

^Holy hell

https://www.instagram.com/p/BVCfYnbFKNi/?taken-by=crickhunter&hl=en

I think the yooooo dude jizzed in his pants

Dark Knight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 363
« Reply #1319 on: June 08, 2017, 04:25:56 PM »