Author Topic: Wheels Thread  (Read 775088 times)

heritage

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 98
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
Wheels Thread
« on: October 20, 2014, 04:02:05 PM »
Interested to hear what other people are riding other than Spits or Bones. Did a search and was surprised there wasn't a thread for other wheel manus. There is a great selection of smaller brands... Autobahn, OJ, Broadcast, Paradise, Pusher, SML, PFC, Type S, etc. Definitely interested to hear what people are skating.

Currently on these on these SML Herrington 53 Wides and I love them. They were a little slick for my tastes at first but after a few sessions they're perfect. For anyone that prefers wider wheels they are great:

Just finished up on OJ Dela 53. Wasn't a big fan of them on first ride, but gave them a revisit and I was pretty psyched:

I have these up next, Satori Guru 54:

Spitfire4life

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -20
Re: Wheels Thread
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2014, 05:39:25 PM »
Even though I am a Spitfire guy (obviously), I do enjoy trying out other wheels from time to time. I found some Bones SPF 55's for $10 at a sale, so I figured I would try them out. Surprisingly, I had a set of Zero wheels a few years ago, and they were actually somewhat good. Most of the wheels made by board companies are pretty bad, but I liked the Zero wheels more than Bones STF's.
If you take medical advice from this puddle of retards you are going to die.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 934
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2014, 07:03:30 PM »
I'm a fan of skater owned and the little guy, but I'll be damned if F4s aren't the shit. I can't skate anything else now, feels like they're all too slow.

sleepypancakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 227
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2014, 07:34:16 PM »
Even though I am a Spitfire guy (obviously), I do enjoy trying out other wheels from time to time. I found some Bones SPF 55's for $10 at a sale, so I figured I would try them out. Surprisingly, I had a set of Zero wheels a few years ago, and they were actually somewhat good. Most of the wheels made by board companies are pretty bad, but I liked the Zero wheels more than Bones STF's.
Zero4Life now?

Anyways, Broadcast are really great wheels if you can get ahold of them, I've had a few sets of 54mms and they have an awesome shape and slide really well without being super terribly hard. Just a great feeling, fast, all around wheel.

Randozzi

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2014, 10:03:52 PM »
http://www.prizefightercutlery.com/shop/#!/Wheels/c/2470697/offset=0&sort=normal

The Shit.

MOE SYZLAK

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 796
  • "I never got to taste cantaloupe"
    • Cassette Skate Shop avatar image
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2014, 11:47:48 PM »
Used to Ride Pusher wheels steady for about a year or so. I have never really liked spits because the flatspotted way too easily, Bones feel too plastic and slick, but I recently got a job with SML and am really stoked to be working with a rad company that has a great feel and quality wheels. I highly suggest giving them a try ( not just because i work for them ).They are just really great wheels

TehPwnzorer

• Rep: -17
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2014, 12:56:31 AM »
Last wheels I tried out other than Bones and Spitfires were these Plan B prospec wheels. They look rad, they're rockhard, more plasticy feel than Bones and once again, rockhard. Way harder feel than Bones. Quite good for being wheels made by deckco. Probably my favorite wheels of all time coming from a none wheelco... but the end of the day nothing beats the Spitfire F4.

« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 12:59:17 AM by TehPwnzorer »

Coconut Lotion

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2014, 03:45:37 AM »
I'd ride other wheels if spitfire never made the f4's. Want to try some OJ's for sure though

4wheels

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2014, 05:38:34 AM »
whats good with canal wheels? i wanna try a set of those or prizefighters next

Lasernaut

• Rep: 4
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2014, 06:21:57 AM »
I'm skating Type-S right now, and I'm really happy with them. They have a less 'greasy' feel than Bones STF, they keep momentum really well. And they powerslide when you want them to. No flatspots since summer either.

Prince Nelson

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2014, 07:16:35 AM »
whats good with canal wheels? i wanna try a set of those or prizefighters next

apparently Canal wheels are 100A and have flat sides, for easy lock-in. I'd try them if I could get them in 54mm.

I have a set of Welcome wheels coming in tomorrow. I haven''t had a set of cored wheels in 8 years, so it should be interesting.

Stanley Spadowski

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 305
  • Can I still be the janitor?
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2014, 07:35:51 AM »
Used to Ride Pusher wheels steady for about a year or so. I have never really liked spits because the flatspotted way too easily, Bones feel too plastic and slick, but I recently got a job with SML and am really stoked to be working with a rad company that has a great feel and quality wheels. I highly suggest giving them a try ( not just because i work for them ).They are just really great wheels
Hook it up then, I'll take a set of 52's. Haha, J/K.
But seriously, my friends skating those Herrington's right now and they seem like some good wheels.
"These floors are dirty as hell, and I'm not gonna take it any more!"

heritage

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2014, 07:58:34 AM »
Right now I'm riding formula fours, but I'm keen to try some different brands. I have these OJ Jake Johnson 55s up next. There's a graphic on each side, but I'm kind of digging it.

How wide are those SML wheels, Heritage? I'd like to support SML with either buying those or some Garcias.

I'm also keen to try a set of Prize Fighters and Satori (love what they do with that recycling program).

Anyone tried Paradise wheels?

Thanks Clamy. And those OJ Jake's are sick. When I got the Dela's I had those Jakes in my hand. I went with the Dela bc 55 is a little out of my range, but I love the shape of those. That's a great choice.

The SML are nice and they are definitely slide on command. I don't like wheels to be super slick and unpredictable. They were a little sketchy for me at first but after a few sessions were great. If you are skating a rougher street spot you'll have no problem at all. It's in a smooth park you have to be a little more mindful.

I was wondering about Paradise wheels too. They have some good looking stuff in their lineup.

I posted these pics in the Spits thread, but they'll work here too. A bunch of wheels lined up to see how wide they are against each other:

From L to R: SML Herrington 53, Broadcast Crop Circle 53, Autobahn Torus Shape 53, Autobahn Regular 53, Pusher McDonald 53

From L to R: PFC Gore 53.5, Type S 54, OJ 53, Autobahn Sidecut 52, Autobahn ABX 53

Lance

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 581
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2014, 08:18:32 AM »
Swear by these, same shapes as the old Fast Life Urethane wheels.  8)

sorry the pic is so big
Anyone else notice that Tony Parker is the Gino of basketball?

Randozzi

« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2014, 09:36:09 AM »
Had a set of the Black Rainbows, good shit indeed.
Been hooked on Prize Fighter for a couple years now, dig the F4s but PFCs just feel so damn good.

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1140
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2014, 10:17:05 AM »
had a set of Broadcast when they first came out, simply because they had Ethan Fowler on the team.  they were really great wheels.  I ditched 'em after Ethan left the team.

I've had a couple sets of PFCs more recently, and they are also very awesome... would skate them exclusively if I had never tried the F4 conical fulls in 99a. 

hardly art, hardly starving

Life Fast Johnny

« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2014, 01:08:55 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I was wondering about Paradise wheels too. They have some good looking stuff in their lineup.

I rode a couple of sets of Paradise last year in 52mm and 53mm 101A.  They were good wheels that I would describe as something like a slightly harder Spitfire F1 in feeling, but much more durable.  They never chipped on the sides like F1's do, they just shrank and then gradually got tears across the riding surface after a few months.

FWIW, I had a defect in the mold of the bearing seat in a wheel in the second set and their customer service not only shipped me a replacement set super fast, but threw a ton of freebies in the box with them.  If it were not for F4 99's and Autobahns, I would probably ride Paradise all the time.

JB

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 857
  • Rusty Berrings Roll Forever
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2014, 01:54:47 PM »

ive had these on my set up for a long time now (probably because im lazy and dont skate enough), but theyre really good. smooth, pretty fast, slide really nice. maybe a bit too slick for some people, but they dont feel plasticy like bones. i usually skate really shitty ground now, so i like a wheel that slides a bit easier on rough stuff. theyre a small company out of chicago. check them out, id definitely get another set. http://www.reedwheels.com/

ive had the welcome wheels too. theyre alright, but i probably wouldn't get them again. theyre pretty fast. i noticed the speed a lot when i skated transition, they were way faster than the bones i had on my other set up. theyre just too wide for my liking. it wasnt easy for me to get them to slide out.

dillanharp

« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2014, 02:12:27 PM »
are Portland and Jivaro still around?

Wizard Fight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -191
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2014, 02:19:03 PM »

chillout

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 9
  • beer
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2014, 04:07:35 PM »

ive had these on my set up for a long time now (probably because im lazy and dont skate enough), but theyre really good. smooth, pretty fast, slide really nice. maybe a bit too slick for some people, but they dont feel plasticy like bones. i usually skate really shitty ground now, so i like a wheel that slides a bit easier on rough stuff. theyre a small company out of chicago. check them out, id definitely get another set. http://www.reedwheels.com/

ive had the welcome wheels too. theyre alright, but i probably wouldn't get them again. theyre pretty fast. i noticed the speed a lot when i skated transition, they were way faster than the bones i had on my other set up. theyre just too wide for my liking. it wasnt easy for me to get them to slide out.

haven't skated anything but reeds in the past couple years. theyre the perfect balance between the og formula spitfires and bones. similar grippy feeling as spitfires but slide like a harder wheel

N.L.

« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2014, 07:32:05 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yes.

http://www.google.com

www.unheardpdx.com

both still around and both still putting out nice shaped wheels. not my cup of tea but good stuff from creative urethane. PI wheels are another smaller wheel co worth checking out. poured by AEND i believe (same manu as autobahn and Type S).

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 934
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2014, 10:03:21 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Yes.

http://www.google.com
[close]

www.unheardpdx.com

both still around and both still putting out nice shaped wheels. not my cup of tea but good stuff from creative urethane. PI wheels are another smaller wheel co worth checking out. poured by AEND i believe (same manu as autobahn and Type S).

Yep, Pi are poured at Aend, I've had a set of the cored HFL 56.5mm for a while know, park use only. They are exactly that Hard, Fast and Loud; they yellow over time, a bit more grip than SPFs at the cost of a little speed. They don't feel like Type-S.AB at all (I find that type-s/AB are too grippy for me on street.).

I lost my set of Spitfire f4s conical fulls 101a (and the board they were on, bye, bye brand new Indys) and I miss them. Currently riding my 55mm wrecks as the Pis feel too big for street.

Spent too much on indys and f4s to go out and buy a new set so soon - F4s are too good (but I really want to try a set of the STF V5s, love that shape).

vegan*shawn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -416
  • listen to Jawbreaker
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2014, 10:15:24 PM »

Currently riding these on my street set up. I really like that they are wide, they ride smooth and slide good when worn in. They say 101 but they don't feel that hard. This model is 54.5, normally I ride 54 - 56 on street so these are perfect sized. Cool little company they make wheels 53mm - 66mm so something for everyone.

I also like Prize Fighter a lot, Javiro, Welcome wheels as well. Have not been a fan of the new OJ wheels, they feel really sluggish. I have been wanting to try Paradise, should hit up one of the local pros for a set.

« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 09:43:33 PM by vegan*shawn »

Spaced Cadet

• Rep: 111
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2014, 12:08:46 AM »
I always wanted to try some Teenage Runaway wheels. I thought Bratrud's graphics were sick. I don't know if they were any good though.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 61
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2014, 12:17:46 AM »
PFC 53.5, i usually ride 54s but decided to put my money where my mouth is!
they live up to the hype

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

MOE SYZLAK

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 796
  • "I never got to taste cantaloupe"
    • Cassette Skate Shop avatar image
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2014, 01:31:07 AM »
I always wanted to try some Teenage Runaway wheels. I thought Bratrud's graphics were sick. I don't know if they were any good though.
they were the worst wheels i have ever had

heritage

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2014, 07:09:49 PM »

Are Autobahn still poured at Creative? Someone told me they were having them done somewhere else (or were considering it) due to cost. IMO Autobahn is a seriously underrated wheel and the dudes that run that company are top notch

All that aside, I've wondered how many different places pour skate wheels.

Spaced Cadet

• Rep: 111
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2014, 09:01:57 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
they were the worst wheels i have ever had

I kind of had a feeling they might be bad. I guess I dodged a bullet then.

Deekay

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2014, 02:01:08 PM »
Expand Quote
Right now I'm riding formula fours, but I'm keen to try some different brands. I have these OJ Jake Johnson 55s up next. There's a graphic on each side, but I'm kind of digging it.

How wide are those SML wheels, Heritage? I'd like to support SML with either buying those or some Garcias.

I'm also keen to try a set of Prize Fighters and Satori (love what they do with that recycling program).

[close]

Thanks Clamy. And those OJ Jake's are sick. When I got the Dela's I had those Jakes in my hand. I went with the Dela bc 55 is a little out of my range, but I love the shape of those. That's a great choice.

The SML are nice and they are definitely slide on command. I don't like wheels to be super slick and unpredictable. They were a little sketchy for me at first but after a few sessions were great. If you are skating a rougher street spot you'll have no problem at all. It's in a smooth park you have to be a little more mindful.

I posted these pics in the Spits thread, but they'll work here too. A bunch of wheels lined up to see how wide they are against each other:

From L to R: SML Herrington 53, Broadcast Crop Circle 53, Autobahn Torus Shape 53, Autobahn Regular 53, Pusher McDonald 53

-pic-

From L to R: PFC Gore 53.5, Type S 54, OJ 53, Autobahn Sidecut 52, Autobahn ABX 53

How did you like the Type S? Theyre 98A right, do they slide good? I can get a pair at a good price and I might try them out, I got some bones v5 55mm and they feel a little too big for me, thinking about getting the type S in 54mm as theyre thinner and lighter.