Author Topic: Gear madness support thread  (Read 86188 times)

Bongwater Mojito

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 56
Re: Gear madness support thread
« Reply #2010 on: April 22, 2024, 10:56:48 AM »

This is where I'm afraid my current truck madness with Venture will end up to...

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1111
« Reply #2011 on: April 22, 2024, 01:41:40 PM »

This is where I'm afraid my current truck madness with Venture will end up to...

undoubtedly

lulz

• Rep: 41
« Reply #2012 on: April 22, 2024, 06:45:50 PM »

I’ve been there. Technically with mini logo trucks and 100a doh dohs, bushings. All I needed was some 104a/84b bushings. (No, nobody needs that, that’s why they don’t make them.)

Ventures are great, the bushings need to break in(like they all do.)
For me, the break in process is: one hour of heal/toe. I don’t ride them new, they are too soft. Don’t know how long to break in riding, way too long. I put the board somewhere I walk by all the time. Every time I see it it gets a minute or five, until it reaches 60.

Alternate, if you ride in 40 degree weather: same as above except with ace low bushings.

Lol. The end results of my madness still sound crazy. 🤪

europa1991

« Reply #2013 on: April 22, 2024, 07:00:25 PM »
Can someone smarter than me please tell me as soon as I switched from a Quasi PS Stix 8.25x14.25 to a DLX BBS 8.25x 14.38 I’ve lost any kind of stable pop. I’ve tried this deck with a set of Aces, Indy’s, and even an old pair of Thunder hollows and everything just feels off.. If it’s wheelbase, I’d be kind of shocked because I like a 14.25 to 14.38 but of course I could be wrong.. Kicks? Steepness? That shovel shape ??

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1111
« Reply #2014 on: April 22, 2024, 07:54:52 PM »
why go from quasi to something else?

i prefer ps stix, and that board is probably shorter in length as well.

you’ll get used to it tho. or maybe that’s just what happens for me, i get used to it, but my baseline is just bad, so i accept bad

europa1991

« Reply #2015 on: April 22, 2024, 08:05:58 PM »
Needed a board and that was pretty much my only option.. shop had a 8.25 Hockey but it was priced at like $80+ …now I’m thinking I probably should have went with that.

CarcassToss

• Rep: 19
« Reply #2016 on: April 22, 2024, 08:50:00 PM »
Can someone smarter than me please tell me as soon as I switched from a Quasi PS Stix 8.25x14.25 to a DLX BBS 8.25x 14.38 I’ve lost any kind of stable pop. I’ve tried this deck with a set of Aces, Indy’s, and even an old pair of Thunder hollows and everything just feels off.. If it’s wheelbase, I’d be kind of shocked because I like a 14.25 to 14.38 but of course I could be wrong.. Kicks? Steepness? That shovel shape ??

I hate the DLX 8.25 cuz it has no fingers of flat as Ben D calls it. Kicks turn up after the bolts and a short tail.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
« Reply #2017 on: April 22, 2024, 09:02:24 PM »
I hate the DLX 8.25 cuz it has no fingers of flat as Ben D calls it. Kicks turn up after the bolts and a short tail.

Uhm….what?
IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

"Everything has been figured out, except how to live." -Sartre

Kombuch-A-Holic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 127
« Reply #2018 on: April 23, 2024, 08:31:03 AM »
Warning, long rant ahead. It’s been nearly two years since I messed up my ankle, and ever since, my skating confidence just hasn't been the same. I've also had a few other nagging injuries, and during that time, I've been constantly tweaking my setups. I rode that 917 slick far longer than I should have, totally in love with my backside flips on it with Ventures and a loose bushing kit. After a break from skating this winter, It was bad, so I switched the bushings back to stock, which helped, and then it was finally time to retire that deck.

I picked up a Flip Tom Penny deck for $40 and set it up with Stage 4 Indies, and damn, it felt good—for like a day. My FS flips were butter on it, but that was about it. That setup came with 54mm full conicals, which were the wrong size because the shop messed up my order.

Lately, my skating has only gotten worse, so I went back to my old FA setup on some old Indies, and just like that, I started getting all my flat ground tricks back. I hadn’t landed a heelflip in over a year! I just need to stick with FA/Hockey with Indies and stop fucking around.

But just in case I need to change my whole identity to keep skating, I do have a 9.5 egg on the way.  ;D

smg1138

• Rep: 40
« Reply #2019 on: April 23, 2024, 10:08:31 AM »
Warning, long rant ahead. It’s been nearly two years since I messed up my ankle, and ever since, my skating confidence just hasn't been the same. I've also had a few other nagging injuries, and during that time, I've been constantly tweaking my setups. I rode that 917 slick far longer than I should have, totally in love with my backside flips on it with Ventures and a loose bushing kit. After a break from skating this winter, It was bad, so I switched the bushings back to stock, which helped, and then it was finally time to retire that deck.

I picked up a Flip Tom Penny deck for $40 and set it up with Stage 4 Indies, and damn, it felt good—for like a day. My FS flips were butter on it, but that was about it. That setup came with 54mm full conicals, which were the wrong size because the shop messed up my order.

Lately, my skating has only gotten worse, so I went back to my old FA setup on some old Indies, and just like that, I started getting all my flat ground tricks back. I hadn’t landed a heelflip in over a year! I just need to stick with FA/Hockey with Indies and stop fucking around.

But just in case I need to change my whole identity to keep skating, I do have a 9.5 egg on the way.  ;D

I just started skating a Hockey 8.25 and I'm really enjoying it so far. Thought it would be too square but I actually really dig the shape a lot. Seems like recently I've gravitated towards really full shapes. Are you skating Indy standards or forged on yours? I keep going back and forth trying to decide what I like better. Truck madness is the absolute worst  :P

CarcassToss

• Rep: 19
« Reply #2020 on: April 23, 2024, 12:46:32 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Uhm….what?

Pretty simple since I just had one of these decks and couldn't figure out why I hated this shape so I set it on top of decks I like and lined up the bolt holes. The 8.25 shape, even compared to 2 other DLX shapes I have at home in the bin, kicks up sooner after the bolts on the nose. Ben calls this "fingers of flat" cuz he measures with his fingers. You can visually see it rise up sooner. One of my hobbies is furniture building so I used a contour gauge to compare as well and it paints the same picture. This is a III stamped Real 8.25. Same case for the tail although it is not as egregious.

This is part of what Ben was talking about with the Easy Rider shapes. The kick angles themselves are the same, but the flat before is greater.

The person I was responding to is on a Quasi. I saw one in the shop last week and it has a decent amount of flat after the bolts. I was specifically looking for this with decks since Ben's video came out and noticed quite a few PS shapes and DSM shapes have this. Interestingly enough Ben was on a lot of PS decks and made a video about the large amount of flat on DSM decks. So, the person asking why they don't like the DLX might not like it for the same reason I don't- the lack of flat after the bolts.

Kombuch-A-Holic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 127
« Reply #2021 on: April 23, 2024, 01:13:27 PM »

I just started skating a Hockey 8.25 and I'm really enjoying it so far. Thought it would be too square but I actually really dig the shape a lot. Seems like recently I've gravitated towards really full shapes. Are you skating Indy standards or forged on yours? I keep going back and forth trying to decide what I like better. Truck madness is the absolute worst  :P

Indy standards 144. I feel you.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
« Reply #2022 on: April 23, 2024, 01:17:53 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Uhm….what?
[close]

Pretty simple since I just had one of these decks and couldn't figure out why I hated this shape so I set it on top of decks I like and lined up the bolt holes. The 8.25 shape, even compared to 2 other DLX shapes I have at home in the bin, kicks up sooner after the bolts on the nose. Ben calls this "fingers of flat" cuz he measures with his fingers. You can visually see it rise up sooner. One of my hobbies is furniture building so I used a contour gauge to compare as well and it paints the same picture. This is a III stamped Real 8.25. Same case for the tail although it is not as egregious.

This is part of what Ben was talking about with the Easy Rider shapes. The kick angles themselves are the same, but the flat before is greater.

The person I was responding to is on a Quasi. I saw one in the shop last week and it has a decent amount of flat after the bolts. I was specifically looking for this with decks since Ben's video came out and noticed quite a few PS shapes and DSM shapes have this. Interestingly enough Ben was on a lot of PS decks and made a video about the large amount of flat on DSM decks. So, the person asking why they don't like the DLX might not like it for the same reason I don't- the lack of flat after the bolts.

All I ride is the 8.25.  I’ve got three new ones sitting in my closet. Every single one I’ve ever owned has absolutely had substantive fingers of flat. My comment was more at disbelief that any DLX deck had zero fingers. That said, I have absolutely seen a standard DLX graphic (usually the eagles or the ovals) occasionally printed on a deck that was absolutely NOT their standard shape for that deck/graphic color (e.g. a blue oval with an abnormal 14.38 wb, etc.). Maybe you somehow got one of those?
IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

"Everything has been figured out, except how to live." -Sartre

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 675
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #2023 on: April 23, 2024, 02:54:50 PM »
What wheels would you set up for this setup
9.125” franky egg
Ace af1 60
I have Indy risers I am going to put on as well so I’m thinking a big wheel at least 56mm

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1026
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2024 on: April 23, 2024, 03:29:50 PM »

The different woodshops with different concave and board feel have the most to play in things here.

PS Stix is a flat face on the kicks, BBS a spoon concave on the kicks, first before anything else, then there is the angle of kicks, then as said fingers of flat - the distance from bolts to where the kick starts to come up, so any of those things can make two of what could be very similar boards in dimensions feel totally different when someone skates them.

* Note:  fingers of flat are harder to gauge on BBS because the spoon shaped kick might seem to start earlier on the board but the kicks are then longer and more angled than some other boards that have flat and then a defined start to the kick and straight up from there.

As for Hockey, that is also BBS and usually very steep, or steeper than most, so that might have made the issue even worse, if you were more used to a lesser angle on the PS Stix kicks, or tail mainly as they often do have.

Measuring the angle could give you some answers, eg PS Stix could be 21 or 22, the BBS board could be 23 which might seem like a very small difference, but it makes everything go weird for me when I have even one degree difference between boards.

If you still had the old board, put it on top of the new one that is set up and see what difference, if any, there is in the tail area, as that would be where things are going funny.

Some people might take a few sessions to adapt to a new board, others less, some longer, or not at all, but yes it can definitely be a thing that will mean you have a good skate, or a very unhappy time on said board.

That's all I got for now on it, but from checking and standing on PS Stix and BBS boards I have, there is a significant difference in general.

« Last Edit: April 23, 2024, 03:37:34 PM by Mbrimson88 »
I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

europa1991

« Reply #2025 on: April 23, 2024, 07:53:55 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Expand Quote
[close]
Expand Quote
[close]

The different woodshops with different concave and board feel have the most to play in things here.

PS Stix is a flat face on the kicks, BBS a spoon concave on the kicks, first before anything else, then there is the angle of kicks, then as said fingers of flat - the distance from bolts to where the kick starts to come up, so any of those things can make two of what could be very similar boards in dimensions feel totally different when someone skates them.

* Note:  fingers of flat are harder to gauge on BBS because the spoon shaped kick might seem to start earlier on the board but the kicks are then longer and more angled than some other boards that have flat and then a defined start to the kick and straight up from there.

As for Hockey, that is also BBS and usually very steep, or steeper than most, so that might have made the issue even worse, if you were more used to a lesser angle on the PS Stix kicks, or tail mainly as they often do have.

Measuring the angle could give you some answers, eg PS Stix could be 21 or 22, the BBS board could be 23 which might seem like a very small difference, but it makes everything go weird for me when I have even one degree difference between boards.

If you still had the old board, put it on top of the new one that is set up and see what difference, if any, there is in the tail area, as that would be where things are going funny.

Some people might take a few sessions to adapt to a new board, others less, some longer, or not at all, but yes it can definitely be a thing that will mean you have a good skate, or a very unhappy time on said board.

That's all I got for now on it, but from checking and standing on PS Stix and BBS boards I have, there is a significant difference in general.
Thank you for breaking this down for me. I put three shapes next to each other (Quasi proto 8.25, a Hardbody 8.25 both PS and the DLX BBS) and definitely noticed the difference between the two wolf shops.. even with the Hardbody being a traditional popsicle it had more in common with the Quasi even with the shove nose and taper. I feel like kind of a moron for pretty much wasting money on a deck I had to impromptu buy last minute but whatever at least I know now.