Author Topic: Wheels Thread  (Read 112507 times)

Xen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 0
Re: Wheels Thread
« Reply #1200 on: June 25, 2018, 12:51:47 PM »
Currently on SML. These feel nothing like the last set of SML I had. A year or so ago I tried the Knox Travel series and they felt like they were made from chewing gum. Slow and sticky as hell. It took me 30 minutes and they were off my board. Very odd because the set I had before that (Garcia wides) were great. Maybe the Knox wheels came from a bad batch. Anyway, these have been great.

I got Crupie Petersen 52 up next. I agree with Will's earlier post, I keep going back to Crupie wheels. Xen - I posted this pic for you if you are looking for skinny wheels. It's hard to really get a good idea from this angle but these are THIN as hell. Pizza cutter thin! IMO wheel manus have closed the gap on Spitfire and there are a lot of good choices available.

I rode some .sml wheels a while ago, they had a similar shape to the thin ABs we all liked (did you ever get them btw?) they were slow and mushy and wouldn't slide.

Those crupies are too thin for my taste ;) Looking for the old ricta pro design ricta tablet shap, like an STF V2 (which I should have nabbed instead of the V1s but they were onsale!) but with conical edges.

https://rictawheels.com/ has some narrow wheels in that shape under 30mm wide but always in 99a or 52mm - I'd only get Rictas again if they had 101s in that shape at 53mm ;)

TwisT

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -26
« Reply #1201 on: June 25, 2018, 01:30:39 PM »

https://rictawheels.com/ has some narrow wheels in that shape under 30mm wide but always in 99a or 52mm - I'd only get Rictas again if they had 101s in that shape at 53mm ;)

I have the Westgate naturals, 53mm 101a according to tactics they are 29.6mm (https://www.tactics.com/ricta/westgate-pro-naturals-skateboard-wheels/natural-101a) but they were the thinnest 53mm 101 I came across at the time. I got burned on some spitfire slims because they have a slim riding surface, are physically a bigger wheel than my ricta where. Autobahn if can find them on the thinner side.

I'm gonna remember crupie for my next setup

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1202 on: June 25, 2018, 01:39:58 PM »

I have the Westgate naturals, 53mm 101a according to tactics they are 29.6mm (https://www.tactics.com/ricta/westgate-pro-naturals-skateboard-wheels/natural-101a) but they were the thinnest 53mm 101 I came across at the time. I got burned on some spitfire slims because they have a slim riding surface, are physically a bigger wheel than my ricta where. Autobahn if can find them on the thinner side.

I'm gonna remember crupie for my next setup

Those westgates were the 2.0 version, the 1.0 were much thinner; I had ordered a some Low rictas (the purple ones) but sent them back as they were too wide. How did you like the 101s tho?

Looking for this! I'd grab some STF V2s if I wasn't sold on the STF feel still.

« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 01:42:08 PM by Xen »

ballintoohard

• Rep: -1
« Reply #1203 on: July 10, 2018, 05:49:20 PM »
What are the various SML shapes like compared to Spitfire? I've had Classics and Conicals, currently on 99A conicals, but wanna try something else.

feriruzu

• Rep: 6
  • Truck Madness: Cured (Ace) Wheel Madness: Ongoing
    • Instagram
« Reply #1204 on: July 10, 2018, 06:51:37 PM »
What are the various SML shapes like compared to Spitfire? I've had Classics and Conicals, currently on 99A conicals, but wanna try something else.

OG Wide is like Classic and V-Cut is Conical.

cosmicgypsies

• Rep: 68
« Reply #1205 on: July 11, 2018, 06:05:17 AM »
guy on ebay selling some 54mm 101d f4s skated once for half the price of a normal set. might pull the trigger, whats the consensus on 99d vs 101d?

brucewillis

• Rep: -33
  • Die Hard
« Reply #1206 on: July 11, 2018, 06:39:26 AM »
guy on ebay selling some 54mm 101d f4s skated once for half the price of a normal set. might pull the trigger, whats the consensus on 99d vs 101d?
really think you should pull the trigger, both 99's and 101's are great, and half price is fire

Jollyoli

• Rep: 41
« Reply #1207 on: July 11, 2018, 07:04:30 AM »
really think you should pull the trigger, both 99's and 101's are great, and half price is fire
^ agree, harder on the streets and fractionally slicker in the park. Make good skreeeetch. You're only gonna find out by trying them, and at half retail you have to roll the dice!
Hey, hey, hey, hey-now. Don't be mean; we don't have to be mean, cuz, remember, no matter where you go, there you are.
Buckaroo Banzai.

baustin

• Rep: 2
« Reply #1208 on: July 11, 2018, 07:07:20 AM »

99d for more slippery surfaces especially skateparks. Dampens the feel of rough ground but can feel too slow sometimes (to me)

101d for me takes it for street skating. They don't give as easily so it can be a rough ride but they feel fast and slidey when I need them to be, and they still have that classic spitfire feel (not plasticky at all)

Not Local

• Rep: 5
« Reply #1209 on: July 11, 2018, 08:17:04 AM »
Both great. I prefer the 99s though. The 101s are a little slippery for my preference.

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 71
« Reply #1210 on: July 15, 2018, 05:42:50 PM »
Has anyone here skated "Powell Peralta" wheels? Specifically the 97a's?

They just popped up in a Google ad on my browser. I rode 97 G-Bones back in the day but I wonder how they would feel now?

I'm happy with 99 F4s on my regular setup but I would like something a little softer to cruise on. I currently have older DTFs on my "big" setup but they are super bouncy and sluggish.

feriruzu

• Instagram
« Reply #1211 on: July 16, 2018, 05:25:01 AM »
Has anyone here skated "Powell Peralta" wheels? Specifically the 97a's?

They just popped up in a Google ad on my browser. I rode 97 G-Bones back in the day but I wonder how they would feel now?

I'm happy with 99 F4s on my regular setup but I would like something a little softer to cruise on. I currently have older DTFs on my "big" setup but they are super bouncy and sluggish.

I'm currently skating the 54mm Ripper 3 97A's and I really like them a lot! I forgot how much I like the 97A durometer on the street. There's just enough give which provides a ride that is smoother and a bit more quiet. No discernible difference in speed compared to STF's on the road in fact they seem to carry speed a bit better when hitting rough patches. A little bit grippier compared to a 99A F4 or STF formulas but I can still power slide them easily. Yes, they will flat spot a bit easier since they're a little softer but that's the trade off for a smoother and less teeth-chattering ride. I skate a metal mini-ramp at my park that's really slippery and they give me just enough grip so I don't slip out as much as I was with harder wheels. The conical shape is nice and not too wide. The contact patch is a bit wider than the V5/P5 shape with Bones but overall wheel width is the same. I bought a second set I like them so much and can see myself having these on at least one setup at all times. Not sure how well they'll work for cruising, I use ATF's for that but they're definitely worth it if you want a wheel that's a little more forgiving than typical rock hard wheels yet doesn't feel like much of a compromise. Hope that helps!

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1212 on: July 16, 2018, 01:41:42 PM »
New Marketing...er wheels from NHS - right off the heels of the Elite Insane-a-thanes

slim, round (classic) and wide shapes (conical)

https://www.tactics.com/ricta

Slim 99a/ :(

Round 99a/101a

Wide 101a

« Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 01:52:12 PM by Xen »

TheVisitor

• Rep: -11
« Reply #1213 on: July 16, 2018, 06:12:39 PM »
Does anyone know which factory is doing the AWS Clone Wheels? Anyone ride them that can give feedback?

Thanks.

feriruzu

• Instagram
« Reply #1214 on: July 17, 2018, 06:07:47 AM »
Does anyone know which factory is doing the AWS Clone Wheels? Anyone ride them that can give feedback?

Thanks.

I had a set of the 54mm Chromosome 101A's several months ago. All I can say about where they are made is they had a "Made in China" sticker on the plastic test tube they came in. They were the conical shape and were really wide! They felt a bit soft for 101A and are treaded so they had a lot more grip than I expected. I didn't skate them very long so I can't attest to how they wear down over time, they were just too wide for me. Speed wise on the street they weren't anything spectacular but they weren't slow or sluggish. I was skating them when it was colder out so I'm not sure how they'll perform in summer weather. For $25 they weren't bad wheels, just didn't suit me. Sorry I can't be more helpful.