Author Topic: Wheels Thread  (Read 794587 times)

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1080
Re: Wheels Thread
« Reply #1320 on: September 30, 2018, 06:51:52 AM »
Flat Spotted my crupies in about 2 months. I haven't flat spotted wheels in years. I really liked the slim profile but even at 101a, they did feel as good as my ricta westga naturals. I'm gonna try some bones STF
« Last Edit: September 30, 2018, 06:55:08 AM by TwisT »

HangtenNoseblunt

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -189
« Reply #1321 on: September 30, 2018, 07:24:46 AM »
anyone try those ricta rapido? how do they compare to f4s?
Thank goodness we have HangtenNoseblunt in here as the voice of reason.

Dad you're embarrassing me

• Rep: 66
« Reply #1322 on: September 30, 2018, 02:51:43 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
anyone tried speedlab wheels? wanting to jump back up to an 8.75 and chuck some 58s on there, debating wheel choices. nothing but good things with the OJ's ive had for nearly 2 months now just fancy a change and to be back on a wider wheel. also looking at 58mm spf 84bs or just bog standard spitfire classics.
[close]

Yes I have, they suck. Soft, slow, crazy grippy. And these were supposed to be a 99 duro or something.
[close]

I beg to differ on this one, but then again it depends on what you're riding. I skate vert and big bowls, and the Speedlab Bombshells (57mm, 99a) are one of my favorite wheels. You are correct, they are crazy grippy which is really nice for slick indoor ramps. I currently ride 58mm Bones SPF, and the Bombshells are just as fast. They are actually faster on some ramps depending on the surface.

Bottom line, they certainly don't suck. If you think they are slow, you're not skating hard enough. Go watch some videos of Mark Davenport.

When I first rode them (60mm juggernauts) it was on the skatelite vert ramp at monster, which is 14.5 foot and all that matters is not washing out, so grip was a good thing. So for skatelite you're right, they dont suck. But on concrete they felt boggy as hell. ( My local is a 10ft unsealed kidney bowl). I have been riding Powerflex 58's since, and could not be happier.

heritage

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 98
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #1323 on: September 30, 2018, 02:57:10 PM »
Flat Spotted my crupies in about 2 months. I haven't flat spotted wheels in years. I really liked the slim profile but even at 101a, they did feel as good as my ricta westga naturals. I'm gonna try some bones STF

That's a bummer the Crupie didn't work out for you Twist. Let me know how you like STF's. What shape are you looking at? I'd like to give STF (V2 or V3) or Ricta Rapido a go next.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1009
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #1324 on: October 01, 2018, 08:42:07 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

That's a bummer the Crupie didn't work out for you Twist. Let me know how you like STF's. What shape are you looking at? I'd like to give STF (V2 or V3) or Ricta Rapido a go next.

If they made the slim in a 101 I'd have bitten the poorly named Rapidos. Weird Duro and MM combinations if you want a harder wheel you have to go larger.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2018, 09:51:29 AM by Xen »

BMCsteve

• Rep: 54
« Reply #1325 on: October 01, 2018, 09:25:57 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

If they made the slim in a 101 I'd bitten the poorly named Rapidos. Weird Duro and MM combinations of you want a harder wheel you have to go larger.

I just bought some 54mm slims.  I love that they're actually a tablet shape and not a regular round shape wheel with a slim profile. 

Will report back once I've had a few sessions on them

BMCsteve

« Reply #1326 on: October 02, 2018, 02:45:21 PM »
Rapidos arrived.  These are 54mm but are slimmer than 52mm classics while still having a wider riding surface

White as Biebel's teeth

heritage

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1327 on: October 02, 2018, 06:40:43 PM »
That tablet shape is my favorite. How do the 99s slide Steve?

shripshrapper

• Rep: -21
  • Shane Heyl 2020 #GOATPOTUS
« Reply #1328 on: October 02, 2018, 06:45:41 PM »
What about those new OJ elite? Is is more of the same OJ chalk?

BMCsteve

« Reply #1329 on: October 03, 2018, 04:21:39 AM »

Well, I didn't get a chance to skate them more than 15 minutes yesterday.  Basically they suffer from the same issue I had with NRG Ricta's and STF's.  The bearings do not stay seated in the wheels causing them to become misaligned and not letting the wheel spin freely.

It's one of my biggest pet peeves.  Back to trusty Spit classics

Jud Nestorkins

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -60
  • Only YOU can prevent corporate espionage.
« Reply #1330 on: October 03, 2018, 07:27:46 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Back to trusty Spit classics
No matter what wheel I skate, no matter how much I like them, in the end I always say the same thing.

Edit: typos and shit.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2018, 08:50:59 AM by Jud Nestorkins »

eight two fives

• Rep: -26
« Reply #1331 on: October 03, 2018, 07:49:58 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Well, I didn't get a chance to skate them more than 15 minutes yesterday.  Basically they suffer from the same issue I had with NRG Ricta's and STF's.  The bearings do not stay seated in the wheels causing them to become misaligned and not letting the wheel spin freely.

Are you sure you had them seated right from the get go? I use my body weight and trucks to put in bearings but there’s always one that I have to redo. I feel like after nearly 30 years I should just get a bearing press.

heritage

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1332 on: October 03, 2018, 08:17:54 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Are you sure you had them seated right from the get go? I use my body weight and trucks to put in bearings but there’s always one that I have to redo. I feel like after nearly 30 years I should just get a bearing press.

Yeah that's crazy Steve, I've never heard of that happening or maybe I'm not understanding. Are you using spacers? Maybe it's axle slip? I always prefer Ricta NRG because of how nice the bearings sit in there compared to other wheels. And I do slappies on the daily and they stay put.

BMCsteve

« Reply #1333 on: October 03, 2018, 08:19:14 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Yeah.  I have crazy OCD with that as well.  Basically after I seat both bearings on a wheel, i then go over it again on both sides using my body weight. 

My gut is telling me its an issue with the bearing spacers pushing the bearings around.  Going to try and take them out and see if it makes a difference

BMCsteve

« Reply #1334 on: October 03, 2018, 08:20:14 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

Yeah that's crazy Steve, I've never heard of that happening or maybe I'm not understanding. Are you using spacers? Maybe it's axle slip? I always prefer Ricta NRG because of how nice the bearings sit in there compared to other wheels. And I do slappies on the daily and they stay put.

I am using spacers.  do you use them as well?  yesterday it happened twice on different wheels coming out of boardslides

Jud Nestorkins

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1335 on: October 03, 2018, 08:52:21 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
I always just put the board in Primo, and press the wheel into the bearing until I hear it click. I’ve never had a problem.

BMCsteve

« Reply #1336 on: October 03, 2018, 08:57:04 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]
I always just put the board in Primo, and press the wheel into the bearing until I hear it click. I’ve never had a problem.

Same here.  I'm beginning to think that either I'm a moron (entirely possible) and doing something wrong or this happens to other people and they don't care/notice

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1337 on: October 03, 2018, 09:04:02 AM »
If you ditch them, I'll take them to try'em, shape is tits. I'm eyeing a set of crupies just to try.

I've not uses spacers, especially in spits for that very reason, I can shift the bearings side to to side a 'nudge' every time I flip them over and push down; I use the bearing press on my skatetool (not a real press).

Not surprisingly, the spacers that come with bones don't cause this with bones wheels they yield a nice tight fit. Did you ditch the race reds you were using for SSix again?

BMCsteve

« Reply #1338 on: October 03, 2018, 09:34:33 AM »
If you ditch them, I'll take them to try'em, shape is tits. I'm eyeing a set of crupies just to try.

I've not uses spacers, especially in spits for that very reason, I can shift the bearings side to to side a 'nudge' every time I flip them over and push down; I use the bearing press on my skatetool (not a real press).

Not surprisingly, the spacers that come with bones don't cause this with bones wheels they yield a nice tight fit. Did you ditch the race reds you were using for SSix again?

This is exactly what's going on.  I'll ditch the spacers and see if that makes a difference.  if not, I'll send them your way.  The shape is awesome.  They feel faster than my 99a F4's. 

I did ditch Race Reds for this exact reason.  Started using Bronson Raws which are great as long as they're clean but ultimately SSix are the only bearing that I've ever felt was significantly faster than others so I went back

calvinsdream

« Reply #1339 on: October 03, 2018, 09:37:55 AM »
After reading that Nick Boserio interview about skating bigger wheels, along with rewatching Matt Reason's old parts, I'm feeling like jumping up to some bigger wheels. The Spitfire Classics I'm skating now were 55mm when I set them up a few months ago, I'm debating between making a 'big' jump to 58's or just sizing up to 56's, but I'm pretty sure I'm just gonna stick with Spitfire classics either way.

Has anybody been able to compare riding bigger wheels to softer wheels? I had a set of 54mm 95A duro Prize Fighters a while back and loved them. I figure its easier to go faster and retain speed with a bigger wheel, does it roll over rough ground the same way a slightly softer wheel would?

The big wide 58mm 99d conical fulls pretty much rolled over everything. Definitely a noticeable height difference but I was pretty impressed.

BMCsteve

« Reply #1340 on: October 03, 2018, 10:24:26 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

This is exactly what's going on.  I'll ditch the spacers and see if that makes a difference.  if not, I'll send them your way.  The shape is awesome.  They feel faster than my 99a F4's. 

I did ditch Race Reds for this exact reason.  Started using Bronson Raws which are great as long as they're clean but ultimately SSix are the only bearing that I've ever felt was significantly faster than others so I went back

So it is the spacers.  THey're about 1-2mm longer than the inner core of the wheel.  if you take them out, you get 2 axle threads showing when you tighten the wheel.

I'm too OCD for this shit.  Xen, paypal me $8 for shipping and I'll send them your way

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1341 on: October 03, 2018, 10:28:43 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Nothing I've used can touch Swiss Six, my current set needs a cleaning but they are so fast and loud with shields on I don't want to fuck with them.

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #1342 on: October 03, 2018, 10:31:35 AM »

So it is the spacers.  THey're about 1-2mm longer than the inner core of the wheel.  if you take them out, you get 2 axle threads showing when you tighten the wheel.

I'm too OCD for this shit.  Xen, paypal me $8 for shipping and I'll send them your way

I keep a bag of speed rings in my toolbox and always add enough between the hanger and wheel so the threads are flush. On some combos I think I have 3 on the inside.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1343 on: October 03, 2018, 11:06:56 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I keep a bag of speed rings in my toolbox and always add enough between the hanger and wheel so the threads are flush. On some combos I think I have 3 on the inside.

My current aces have either 2 and 3 inside on each hanger and on opposite sides, it's as if both axles are off center (not surprised) to the left.

heritage

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1344 on: October 03, 2018, 12:00:53 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

I am using spacers.  do you use them as well?  yesterday it happened twice on different wheels coming out of boardslides

I do use spacers. I have for the last 20+ years. I am crazy OCD about all that. It drives me batty when I have to keep my wheels a thread or two "loose" just to get free spin. I don't like that extra wheel chatter, which I know probably sounds ridiculous.

Bones Swiss, Modus Ti, Modus Ceramic, and Hard Luck Ceramic all come with spacers and have served me well. It's the price point bearings that never seem to tighten right. Total OCD about that.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1345 on: October 03, 2018, 12:10:28 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

I do use spacers. I have for the last 20+ years. I am crazy OCD about all that. It drives me batty when I have to keep my wheels a thread or two "loose" just to get free spin. I don't like that extra wheel chatter, which I know probably sounds ridiculous.

Bones Swiss, Modus Ti, Modus Ceramic, and Hard Luck Ceramic all come with spacers and have served me well. It's the price point bearings that never seem to tighten right. Total OCD about that.

Need that chatter! I can't ride a board that sounds like a wet log, I've always had the slightest bit of play to make sure it never binds ups. I remember way back I could move my wheels on axle about one speed ring width on each side. Pretty hefty amount of play.

BMCsteve

« Reply #1346 on: October 04, 2018, 01:55:09 PM »
Old faithful

@xen, PM me your address for the Rictas

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1582
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1347 on: October 04, 2018, 02:31:16 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Need that chatter! I can't ride a board that sounds like a wet log, I've always had the slightest bit of play to make sure it never binds ups. I remember way back I could move my wheels on axle about one speed ring width on each side. Pretty hefty amount of play.

I'm even dumber with my set up.....race reds cranked tight.  The idea is no play at all.  Certain wheels work better than others....rather something that's cored out, or tablet style like P2's.  I tried to be like everyone else and the conicals just didn't work.  I just like my board feeling really solid, but I get that it feels like a toy store board, you don't screach on slides either....

Jud Nestorkins

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1348 on: October 04, 2018, 06:56:20 PM »
Old faithful

@xen, PM me your address for the Rictas

Way too big for me but otherwise these are the best wheel money can buy.

And the 101s > 99s. I need my shit rock hard haha.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2018, 06:12:30 AM by Jud Nestorkins »

shripshrapper

• Rep: -21
  • Shane Heyl 2020 #GOATPOTUS
« Reply #1349 on: October 04, 2018, 06:59:02 PM »
I still love 101a, but the way powerslides don't slow you down was starting to worry me.