Author Topic: Wheels Thread  (Read 775114 times)

Cherb

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -19
Re: Wheels Thread
« Reply #300 on: July 26, 2016, 01:27:33 PM »
Ricta NRG formula is great, feels harder and faster than both F4s and STFs.

I love how fast they feel! I do like how well F4s slide but I would take the NRG any day.

Esquivel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 213
« Reply #301 on: July 27, 2016, 05:03:16 AM »
i used to be a big ricta fan because these wheels are the hardest but it came to a point where i could not stand the immediate flatspotting anymore. last year i got some ricta speed rings to try out and flatspotted them in about 2 minutes. mind, the floor is very smooth and kinda invokes flatspotting (i have flatspotted f4's and stfs in a day there).
i want to ask if this energy thing is any better than the og ricta stuff and if it is i wouldn't mind giving it a try.
Expand Quote
And people say weed makes you creative
[close]
Good weed does - these broke ass skateboard designers smokin spice

Lonechicken

• Rep: 11
« Reply #302 on: July 27, 2016, 06:12:46 AM »
i used to be a big ricta fan because these wheels are the hardest but it came to a point where i could not stand the immediate flatspotting anymore. last year i got some ricta speed rings to try out and flatspotted them in about 2 minutes. mind, the floor is very smooth and kinda invokes flatspotting (i have flatspotted f4's and stfs in a day there).
i want to ask if this energy thing is any better than the og ricta stuff and if it is i wouldn't mind giving it a try.

What about how they feel? Anybody use speedrings long enough to give a definitive answer on whether that design leads to a smoother ride than typical wheels on the street?

Esquivel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 213
« Reply #303 on: July 28, 2016, 02:03:34 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

What about how they feel? Anybody use speedrings long enough to give a definitive answer on whether that design leads to a smoother ride than typical wheels on the street?

the place i usually skate has extremely smooth, mirror like floor. using those rictas there felt like i was skating clay wheels. very hard and slippery but this is what i like when it comes to skating smooth flat. i tried squeezing the "ring" in between the polyurethane and that felt like it was very solid, more like an inner core. i doubt they will be smoooth for street skating. its been ages since i skated a set of inner cores but these speed rings feel very similar to the cored rictas. rattly as fuck
Expand Quote
And people say weed makes you creative
[close]
Good weed does - these broke ass skateboard designers smokin spice

Mr. Kamikazi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -116
  • 1,2,3,4, tell the people what she wore...
« Reply #304 on: July 28, 2016, 01:54:28 PM »
I just ordered a pair of SML wheels, size 53mm. I am stoked to try something new, along with supporting three of my favorites; Molinar, Gillette, and Garcia.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 934
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #305 on: July 29, 2016, 02:55:28 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

the place i usually skate has extremely smooth, mirror like floor. using those rictas there felt like i was skating clay wheels. very hard and slippery but this is what i like when it comes to skating smooth flat. i tried squeezing the "ring" in between the polyurethane and that felt like it was very solid, more like an inner core. i doubt they will be smoooth for street skating. its been ages since i skated a set of inner cores but these speed rings feel very similar to the cored rictas. rattly as fuck

One of my favorite wheels were the chrome cores. Rattled your fucking teeth out they were so hard. Loud, hard and fast. Never flatted then and re-learned bluntslides on them.

Speedrings...I skated a pair on street, they felt great, less tooth jarring than the chrome cores...that said, that same day I rode them for all of 15min in a smooth park, ran into a chunk of mulch, it pitched me and flatted the shit out of them. Never touched a pair since.

NRG ridden two sets, still have them, love them, fast, loud and hard. The new speedrings are made with the NRG formula (my speed rings were the old formula).

I prefer Ricta NRG over everything really...wish they made a narrow speed ring as I am a fan of cored wheels. Would ride .sml of they weren't so damn grippy.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1562
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #306 on: July 29, 2016, 03:45:15 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Does anyone know if ricta NRG formula has the same grippy feel of bones stf? Cause ricta NRG says they're 81b like bones stf
[close]

They feel like a mix between STF and F4's.  NRG is my favorite wheel formula.  I just wish they had as many shape options as F4's
[close]

nice, i gotta get a set. thanks steve
[close]
STF are 83b bro

[close]

thats weird, back then i could of sworn they said 81b, maybe im thinking of SPF even though i got STF's
[close]
SPF's say they're 84b. One whole durometer difference lol

They make an 81 SPF I got a set and like em...

johnes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -237
« Reply #307 on: July 29, 2016, 08:43:44 PM »
I'm riding Welcome Orbs ghost light 54mm 102d, they are def hard and rattly feeling, they dont slide as easy as f4s, but they still slide, i just have to put a little extra into it. I'm not totally sure if they feel fast, i need new bearings. 
The color is sick though, light blue and a pink core.
I’m a fat Siamese cat.

Silky Johnson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1355
« Reply #308 on: July 29, 2016, 10:35:21 PM »
Those look rad Johnes,
To you guys that skate colored wheels, Do you find they shrink faster than whites wheels?

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #309 on: July 30, 2016, 01:54:05 AM »
Anyone tried the 92A Ricta Clouds yet?

Main

• Rep: -208
« Reply #310 on: July 30, 2016, 06:21:23 AM »
Those Welcome Orbs look like they belong on a scooter or some rollerblades.

the snake

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 348
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #311 on: July 30, 2016, 07:17:42 AM »
yep, you put the word on it

johnes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -237
« Reply #312 on: July 30, 2016, 07:22:16 PM »
Those look rad Johnes,
To you guys that skate colored wheels, Do you find they shrink faster than whites wheels?
I've never noticed that from colored wheels, I've had a few white and a few colored f4s and they seem to wear the same to me.
I’m a fat Siamese cat.

Cherb

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -19
« Reply #313 on: July 30, 2016, 08:07:23 PM »
I've thought about trying out the solid ones.

Silky Johnson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1355
« Reply #314 on: July 30, 2016, 09:08:41 PM »
Expand Quote
Those look rad Johnes,
[close]
I've never noticed that from colored wheels, I've had a few white and a few colored f4s and they seem to wear the same to me.
Thanks for the response, gonna pull the trigger on some colored F4s next pay.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #315 on: July 30, 2016, 09:43:12 PM »
Expand Quote
Those look rad Johnes,
[close]

I always found colored bones stfs to feel better than the off white. SPFs feel the same no matter what. Haven't tried colored F4s.

Lonechicken

« Reply #316 on: August 01, 2016, 06:20:24 AM »
I'm riding Welcome Orbs ghost light 54mm 102d, they are def hard and rattly feeling, they dont slide as easy as f4s, but they still slide, i just have to put a little extra into it. I'm not totally sure if they feel fast, i need new bearings. 

Mmmm. Cotton candy. :P

alraunen

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 238
    • www.davidcampillo.net avatar image
« Reply #317 on: August 01, 2016, 06:52:38 AM »

I always wanted a set but never seen them in shops

Andmoreagain

• Rep: 51
« Reply #318 on: August 01, 2016, 01:08:00 PM »
Anyone have suggestions for bigger wheels for a pool/tranny set up? I currently ride 54mm Slime balls and i love em but im gonna need something bigger for the big board. Could just do 60mm slimes i guess...

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #319 on: August 01, 2016, 01:20:03 PM »
Anyone have suggestions for bigger wheels for a pool/tranny set up? I currently ride 54mm Slime balls and i love em but im gonna need something bigger for the big board. Could just do 60mm slimes i guess...

Concrete or wood?

SPFs in cement parks or Spit conicals 54+ 56 is the sweet spot for trucks with no risers and forged plates. Standards you can get away with 58s I'm pretty sure, or if you ride tight.

Also check out the Ricta NRG park crushers. So fast!

Pi wheels as well...big fan.

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 578
« Reply #320 on: August 01, 2016, 08:38:07 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Those look rad Johnes,
[close]
[close]

I always found colored bones stfs to feel better than the off white. SPFs feel the same no matter what. Haven't tried colored F4s.

A friend once lent me spare Creature green STFs and they felt better than my white STFs by a bit.
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1085
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #321 on: August 02, 2016, 01:44:55 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Those look rad Johnes,
[close]
[close]

[close]

A friend once lent me spare Creature green STFs and they felt better than my white STFs by a bit.
When I rode Bones I messed around with coloured ones for a bit and they felt a little grippier and less chalky when they slid. I preferred them until switching to F4's

Phillip Flathead

• Rep: -7
« Reply #322 on: August 02, 2016, 07:29:07 PM »
Does anyone have any advice for a nice hard wheel for street that is good for power slides and isn't unusable on not so perfect roads?  My stf v3's are getting small after 8 months of hill bombs and powerslides and I'm looking for my next set.  How do spitfire f4 101a and those Ricta nrg 101's compare to stfs in regard to slidablility, grip, speed,  and handling on somewhat rough surfaces?

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 62
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #323 on: August 02, 2016, 08:00:40 PM »
 I would say PFC but on unperfect surfaces they'll rattle your fillings out

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Phillip Flathead

• Rep: -7
« Reply #324 on: August 02, 2016, 08:05:19 PM »

how would you describe them relative to stf's?  I mean stfs are my baseline so if it isn't any better that's acceptable, but if it's worse they probably won't be a great fit.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #325 on: August 02, 2016, 08:39:00 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

how would you describe them relative to stf's?  I mean stfs are my baseline so if it isn't any better that's acceptable, but if it's worse they probably won't be a great fit.

Spit F4s 101s will do you just fine on shit roads, I find them a tad grippier than STFs.

Rictas will feel harder and faster than both; slide wise I'd put them right in the middle, not as grippy as F4s but not as slippery as stf.

Never skated PFC.

Speed: Ricta>f4>stf (also, skate faster)
Grip: F4>Ricta>stf
Slide: bones/Ricta>F4

Bones break free faster than either and flatspot the least.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2016, 10:18:03 PM by Xen »

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -83
« Reply #326 on: August 02, 2016, 08:58:08 PM »
F4 classic shape is all you need. Any surface, they're fine, 99 or 101, the difference isn't that great. They do everything you need them to.
you never know about pre-cum 

heritage

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 98
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #327 on: August 02, 2016, 09:02:53 PM »
Does anyone have any advice for a nice hard wheel for street that is good for power slides and isn't unusable on not so perfect roads?  My stf v3's are getting small after 8 months of hill bombs and powerslides and I'm looking for my next set.  How do spitfire f4 101a and those Ricta nrg 101's compare to stfs in regard to slidablility, grip, speed,  and handling on somewhat rough surfaces?

It's all personal preference, but Autobahn wheels do everything I need them too. I've been skating Autobahn for years. I don't always skate smooth concrete parks either. I typically skate fucked up and harsh spots. I also like skating spot to spot on rough city roads.

There are more choices than Spitfire and Bones. It's all trial and error, finding out what works for you and what you want to support.

Lonechicken

« Reply #328 on: August 03, 2016, 06:44:44 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

One of my favorite wheels were the chrome cores. Rattled your fucking teeth out they were so hard. Loud, hard and fast. Never flatted then and re-learned bluntslides on them.

Speedrings...I skated a pair on street, they felt great, less tooth jarring than the chrome cores...that said, that same day I rode them for all of 15min in a smooth park, ran into a chunk of mulch, it pitched me and flatted the shit out of them. Never touched a pair since.

NRG ridden two sets, still have them, love them, fast, loud and hard. The new speedrings are made with the NRG formula (my speed rings were the old formula).

I prefer Ricta NRG over everything really...wish they made a narrow speed ring as I am a fan of cored wheels. Would ride .sml of they weren't so damn grippy.

Good to know, thanks. Now to wait for them to release a set of green ones with the NRG formula.

heritage

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 98
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #329 on: August 03, 2016, 09:47:01 AM »
Sounds like spitfire 101's are going to be my best choice, I just have to figure out what shape.  If I want a 54 or 56mm wheel, what is the best all around shape?

Can't tell if this is a serious post. You are asking another skateboarder what is the best shape of a wheel in 54 or 56 for you?

Here is an entire thread dedicated to Spitfire Wheels: http://www.slapmagazine.com/component/option,com_jfusion/Itemid,4/index.php?topic=68020.0