Author Topic: Wheels Thread  (Read 777618 times)

Bensquirts and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 937
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
Re: Wheels Thread
« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2014, 03:54:15 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Right now I'm riding formula fours, but I'm keen to try some different brands. I have these OJ Jake Johnson 55s up next. There's a graphic on each side, but I'm kind of digging it.

How wide are those SML wheels, Heritage? I'd like to support SML with either buying those or some Garcias.

I'm also keen to try a set of Prize Fighters and Satori (love what they do with that recycling program).

Anyone tried Paradise wheels?
[close]

Thanks Clamy. And those OJ Jake's are sick. When I got the Dela's I had those Jakes in my hand. I went with the Dela bc 55 is a little out of my range, but I love the shape of those. That's a great choice.

The SML are nice and they are definitely slide on command. I don't like wheels to be super slick and unpredictable. They were a little sketchy for me at first but after a few sessions were great. If you are skating a rougher street spot you'll have no problem at all. It's in a smooth park you have to be a little more mindful.

I was wondering about Paradise wheels too. They have some good looking stuff in their lineup.

I posted these pics in the Spits thread, but they'll work here too. A bunch of wheels lined up to see how wide they are against each other:

From L to R: SML Herrington 53, Broadcast Crop Circle 53, Autobahn Torus Shape 53, Autobahn Regular 53, Pusher McDonald 53

-pic-

From L to R: PFC Gore 53.5, Type S 54, OJ 53, Autobahn Sidecut 52, Autobahn ABX 53

[close]

How did you like the Type S? Theyre 98A right, do they slide good? I can get a pair at a good price and I might try them out, I got some bones v5 55mm and they feel a little too big for me, thinking about getting the type S in 54mm as theyre thinner and lighter.

Was riding my 55mm Wrecks after losing my F4 conical fulls, hard to skate them after the F4s so I went back to riding the 55mm/98a Barros wheel (probably around 53/54 now) they slide nice, good grip. Fast (cored wheels always are) too, I'd say they ride harder than 98a, at least they feel like it.

When skating the big local bowl I switch over to my 57mm Pi wheels.

If you are stateside and want to trade, let me know, I really want to try the V5s. I've some Spit F4s (101 and 99a) kicking around I'm not using as well.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 04:52:40 PM by Xen »

Deekay

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2014, 10:51:55 AM »
Sweet, thanks! Ah man I would but im in europe, sorry...

timv

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Rep: 17
« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2014, 12:15:35 PM »
I just got a set of spit F4 Conicals and their shape is nearly identical to the set of STF V5's I have.
Dimensions are really close also.

[/quote]

I lost my set of Spitfire f4s conical fulls 101a (and the board they were on, bye, bye brand new Indys) and I miss them. Currently riding my 55mm wrecks as the Pis feel too big for street.

Spent too much on indys and f4s to go out and buy a new set so soon - F4s are too good (but I really want to try a set of the STF V5s, love that shape).

[/quote]

Hercules Rockefeller

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -13
  • i`m a double-bacon-genius-burger.
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2014, 12:26:10 PM »
given the popularity of Welcome boards, has anybody tried their wheels yet?

also, any opinions on Gold wheels? they have a insane team, a video coming up, yet i never hear anybody talking about them, let alone skate them.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 937
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2014, 05:44:12 PM »
I just got a set of spit F4 Conicals and their shape is nearly identical to the set of STF V5's I have.
Dimensions are really close also.

I lost my set of Spitfire f4s conical fulls 101a (and the board they were on, bye, bye brand new Indys) and I miss them. Currently riding my 55mm wrecks as the Pis feel too big for street.

Spent too much on indys and f4s to go out and buy a new set so soon - F4s are too good (but I really want to try a set of the STF V5s, love that shape).

[/quote]
[/quote]

Sweet! I'll just pick up a set of 101a Conicals and call it a day!

heritage

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 98
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2014, 06:34:05 PM »
How did you like the Type S? Theyre 98A right, do they slide good? I can get a pair at a good price and I might try them out, I got some bones v5 55mm and they feel a little too big for me, thinking about getting the type S in 54mm as theyre thinner and lighter.

Deekay - I actually really liked the Type S wheels. The set in the picture was what they call the Modified wheel, they are 96A. Really nice shape and super smooth ride. I would definitely recommend the 98 over the 96 if you do a lot of sliding. The 98 are an excellent mix of slide and control. 96 will offer a little more bite. Either way, Type S make an outstanding product. If you have a good deal and price on them - grab them. Highly recommend.

MOE SYZLAK

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 800
  • "I never got to taste cantaloupe"
    • Cassette Skate Shop avatar image
« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2014, 11:34:45 PM »
Riding some SML wide shapes now ( i have never had wide wheels before) they feel really stable, slide great with just a little grip so they are not too slippery and they are D-Gar models so im hyped all around

Deekay

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
« Reply #37 on: October 29, 2014, 06:10:47 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Deekay - I actually really liked the Type S wheels. The set in the picture was what they call the Modified wheel, they are 96A. Really nice shape and super smooth ride. I would definitely recommend the 98 over the 96 if you do a lot of sliding. The 98 are an excellent mix of slide and control. 96 will offer a little more bite. Either way, Type S make an outstanding product. If you have a good deal and price on them - grab them. Highly recommend.

Cool, I can get them for about half price of f4's so I'll try a pair out. Thanks for the help!

JB

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 858
  • Rusty Berrings Roll Forever
« Reply #38 on: October 29, 2014, 06:40:47 AM »

also, any opinions on Gold wheels? they have a insane team, a video coming up, yet i never hear anybody talking about them, let alone skate them.

i have some 56s on a welcome set up. theyre ok, but not really the kind of wheels i prefer. theyre light and fast, but i think theyre too wide for my liking. i have no problem sliding the wheels on my regular set up (reeds), but those welcome wheels are a bitch to slide out. im not much of a tranny skater, but ive skated bowls with the welcome wheels and theyre fast as fuck. way faster than the bones i had at the same time. i could see them being a good choice if you skate a lot of tranny. so theyre good quality i think, just not what works for me with street skating.

ericw

« Reply #39 on: October 30, 2014, 09:13:10 PM »
My friend just started his own wheel company, Survey Wheels. Really good design, fantastic team, and skater owned. Check it out http://www.surveywheels.com/

heritage

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #40 on: October 31, 2014, 04:35:42 AM »
Was hoping someone would post about those Survey wheels. They look nice. I saw Meronek (or one of the other Boardr dudes) hyping those.

Prince Nelson

« Reply #41 on: October 31, 2014, 12:25:13 PM »

I just started skating a set of the green swirl 54's. They're very lightweight and feel about the same as F4's, except they're a little more grippy. powerslides are no problem. I was worried that they would be super hard and plasticy since they're calling them 104A, but that is not the case at all. I will keep buying them.

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #42 on: November 01, 2014, 07:28:17 AM »
This thread is awesome! In Europe there are great wheel brands also! Now i'm corrently riding some Haze wheels (French company http://www.hazewheels.fr/ ) that are 102a... They have a killer team and are pretty good but yesterday i got 2 chunks of them slidding a fucked up ledge... Bummed! :/ Yesterday also i went to the skate shop and got to see some Muckefuck wheels (German i think)... They have loots of different shapes for everybody and all look fucking amazing, gotta try'em next! http://shop.muckefuckskateboards.com/

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

bbk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 278
  • Dopeness
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #43 on: November 01, 2014, 04:41:36 PM »
I just pm'd heritage, but maybe someone else could chime in as well! I found a good deal on autobahn ABX and I'm wondering how they compare the Stf's and f4's? slidey/sticky/fast/whatever?

Edit: curious about the Aero as well if anybody has skated them?
« Last Edit: November 01, 2014, 05:16:38 PM by bbk »

heritage

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #44 on: November 01, 2014, 08:48:25 PM »
I just pm'd heritage, but maybe someone else could chime in as well! I found a good deal on autobahn ABX and I'm wondering how they compare the Stf's and f4's? slidey/sticky/fast/whatever?

Hey BBK - I am actually a huge fan of Autobahn ABX wheels. For awhile it was the only thing I was riding. I will tell you straight away that they aren't going to slide like the F4 or STF wheels. Not that the ABX are sticky or tacky because they aren't tacky at all, they just offer a little bit more control. The shape of the wheel is thin, but not super thin. I think it's actually the same riding surface as a Spitfire "classic" shape. They are really fast, and again, a perfect all around wheel for parks, skatelite/masonite, or rough city spots. Put it this way, if you buy them in either 53 or 54 and don't like them, I will trade you something else from my stash because I'd skate them at some point, I can assure you. They're a damn nice wheel. EDIT: And I have zero reason to jump on here just to pump up Autobahn.

The Aero wheels I would actually steer you away from. That's one of Autobahn's price point wheels and IMO the urethane isn't as good. I actually think they are way too slippery. Some people like that, I just wasn't into them.

@SKATAN - Nice looking wheels! I'd actually try those Zwijsen or Fleischer wheels if I could get my hands on them.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2014, 08:52:42 PM by heritage »

fulfillthedream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 305
« Reply #45 on: November 01, 2014, 10:47:17 PM »
This thread is awesome! In Europe there are great wheel brands also! Now i'm corrently riding some Haze wheels (French company http://www.hazewheels.fr/ ) that are 102a... They have a killer team and are pretty good but yesterday i got 2 chunks of them slidding a fucked up ledge... Bummed! :/

THe local here has some Haze wheels- was thinking of trying some out... ive been skating f4's for the last year and really don't see a reason to change.. although i'd give those harrington SML wheels a go
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

Hercules Rockefeller

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -13
  • i`m a double-bacon-genius-burger.
« Reply #46 on: November 02, 2014, 01:53:38 AM »
Muckefuck is austrian, and they do make damn fine wheels. just send them an email if you are interested, as far as i know they are pretty down to send stuff everywhere.

had the autobahn espinoza 83B wheels, they were alright except i had the same problem as with 83B Bones: they feel too much like plastic wheels to me.

i guess i`ll give welcome wheels a try, i have been thinking about setting up some kind of wider tranny board just to try if its worth it.

bbk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 278
  • Dopeness
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #47 on: November 02, 2014, 08:10:38 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Hey BBK - I am actually a huge fan of Autobahn ABX wheels. For awhile it was the only thing I was riding. I will tell you straight away that they aren't going to slide like the F4 or STF wheels. Not that the ABX are sticky or tacky because they aren't tacky at all, they just offer a little bit more control. The shape of the wheel is thin, but not super thin. I think it's actually the same riding surface as a Spitfire "classic" shape. They are really fast, and again, a perfect all around wheel for parks, skatelite/masonite, or rough city spots. Put it this way, if you buy them in either 53 or 54 and don't like them, I will trade you something else from my stash because I'd skate them at some point, I can assure you. They're a damn nice wheel. EDIT: And I have zero reason to jump on here just to pump up Autobahn.

The Aero wheels I would actually steer you away from. That's one of Autobahn's price point wheels and IMO the urethane isn't as good. I actually think they are way too slippery. Some people like that, I just wasn't into them.

@SKATAN - Nice looking wheels! I'd actually try those Zwijsen or Fleischer wheels if I could get my hands on them.
Thanks for to input, I'm one of those who really like slippery, so I'll probably give both a chance! they only have 50 and 51's and I live in sweden, so trading won't be an option, sorry bro!

drunk guy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 93
« Reply #48 on: November 02, 2014, 08:38:17 AM »
Had a set of the Black Rainbows, good shit indeed.
Been hooked on Prize Fighter for a couple years now, dig the F4s but PFCs just feel so damn good.
Was on the black rainbows forever, switched it to prizefighters recently. Im thinking they might be made at the same place, ether way they're both unfuckable with if your into harder urethane in my opinion.

heritage

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #49 on: November 02, 2014, 08:42:47 AM »
Thanks for to input, I'm one of those who really like slippery, so I'll probably give both a chance! they only have 50 and 51's and I live in sweden, so trading won't be an option, sorry bro!

Sounds good BBK. Definitely interested to hear how they work for you!

Julz

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -6
« Reply #50 on: November 02, 2014, 09:01:31 AM »

I paid 20$ CDN for a set of these polar wheels, poured at creative. I only skated around 7-8 hrs with them because they're too skinny for my liking but they felt pretty good considering the price.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2014, 09:04:20 AM by Julz »

wallieD

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -191
« Reply #51 on: November 02, 2014, 01:12:01 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
i had them a couple years ago, they were good.really light, but they feel like rollerblade wheels..

heritage

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #52 on: November 05, 2014, 05:10:40 AM »
Hell yeah Clamy. That's nice looking wheel haul. Great choices. Be ready to slide on those SML! That wide cut shape is so damn good.

dirtyweemidden

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 59
« Reply #53 on: November 05, 2014, 06:28:36 AM »
Just came off a set of moshdog wheels (theyre a fairly new company from the UK) decent wheels but nothing compares to f4s.. right back on to another set of spittys

Tay

« Reply #54 on: November 06, 2014, 01:39:18 PM »

I had two sets of the Dual Durometer ABX. Fastest wheel I've ridden, and they never flat spotted even though I weigh a bit. The only draw back (for me anyways) was they're super-duper slippery feeling, and you often end up on your butt without notice. Pictures don't do them justice of how skinny they are.

2thick

• Rep: -63
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #55 on: November 07, 2014, 01:41:38 PM »
Wondering if I should go for Black Rainbows, Type-S, or Prize Fighters... what do you guys think?

Randozzi

« Reply #56 on: November 07, 2014, 01:50:39 PM »
Prize Fighters.

Or Black Rainbows.

Prince Nelson

« Reply #57 on: November 07, 2014, 07:13:56 PM »
Welcome Orbs^^^^^ but PFC's are chill if you only want white wheels

also I flatspotted Black Rainbows in a matter of two weeks last summer. Never again.

heritage

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #58 on: November 07, 2014, 08:24:53 PM »
Clamy - which set did you decide to give a ride to first? That's the problem with having all those good wheels to choose from, makes it tougher to decide!

As for PFC's I was actually a little surprised the first time I ever rode them. Watching Leo Valls and Ben Gore skate them (and all those powerslides) I was expecting the wheels to be super slippery, but they give a mix of grip and slide.

Earlier today I picked up a set of Autobahn Torus in their new 83B duro so I am hyped to give them a skate this weekend.

fulfillthedream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 305
« Reply #59 on: November 09, 2014, 03:29:03 PM »
Just set up the spitfire conical fulls 52mm 99 - i;ve been riding the spitfire classic shape for ever.. i think i did try some of the flatter bones a few times so its gonna be my first time riding wheels that are wider than the classic shape. skated some flat but will have a full session with em tomorrow.

so far they feel a bit difference in my skating but nothing too drastic. powerslides are more awesome
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[