Author Topic: Wheels Thread  (Read 777650 times)

FirstBlood82, Reese Bruno and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.

Tracer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -65309
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
Re: Wheels Thread
« Reply #90 on: December 23, 2014, 05:22:55 PM »
On my second set of Wreck 53mm, although I only skate parking garages now they are BY FAR THE BEST WHEELS IVE SKATED. Kind of funny Wreck comes out and they are the most expensive wheels in the shop, noone has ever heard of them so they're never sold out.

Bones mean nothing to me now, they are way too slick, I finally get what you guys are saying. Wrecks are hard as without sliding around like ice

Bow to Chet Thomas

Young Satchel

• Rep: 19
« Reply #91 on: December 24, 2014, 03:19:30 PM »
Expand Quote
Anyone have experience with Paradise? Thinking about getting some of Danny Renauds wheels.
[close]

Yes. They are great wheels. I am riding the Renaud's right now. Listed as 101 but give a really smooth ride and slide when you want.

Do you skate a new set of wheels every deck? I can't keep up!

heritage

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 98
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #92 on: December 24, 2014, 06:57:09 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Anyone have experience with Paradise? Thinking about getting some of Danny Renauds wheels.
[close]

Yes. They are great wheels. I am riding the Renaud's right now. Listed as 101 but give a really smooth ride and slide when you want.
[close]

Do you skate a new set of wheels every deck? I can't keep up!

Pretty much. That is my usual pace. I like to set up new wheels every time I set up a new board. Right now the Paradise wheels have my full attention. Perfect mix of grip and slide and a damn nice wheel.

I jumped back on a set on SML the other week and almost broke my neck! Forgot how crazy slick they are. Excellent wheels, just REALLLY slick.

heritage

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #93 on: December 31, 2014, 08:29:04 AM »
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c208/Sulyven/image-2_zps50abc764.jpeg

Finally put these SML 'Succulent' Herrington's on. I won't be able to skate them for a few weeks because of a rolled ankle, but I can tell they'll be slick. Hopefully not as slick as you've described, Heritage.

I asked SML what durometer they are, but they haven't got back to me. Maybe someone can help me (Moe?)? Online they've been labelled 99a and 100a, and the hardness wasn't listed on the packaging. Every other SML wheel seems to be 101a, so I've got no idea.

Clamy - just posted to you in the Set Up thread...those wheels are killer. I'm not quite sure what the duro is either, but they are slicker than any wheel I have in my rotation and they are definitely harder too. You will feel it immediately. You can slide for days with those things. But your first time out rip a few slides so you know how to deal with them.

I find myself keep going back to SML bc I love the way they slide.

EDIT: Judging by that pic, looking at your trucks you put some serious ledge work in.  ;D

heritage

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #94 on: January 08, 2015, 07:07:07 PM »
Good shit Clamy. The Marius wheels look great. The shape is similar to the Dela, just a little more squared.

Randozzi

« Reply #95 on: January 08, 2015, 10:16:48 PM »
he was recently posting some stuff on facebook, think he did a new run of wheels in the past few months.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1566
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #96 on: January 09, 2015, 08:22:06 AM »
Like the Woodshop thread......who makes who? 

sluggers

• Rep: -405
« Reply #97 on: January 10, 2015, 12:12:12 AM »
I got a set of clammy weak soft Spitfires by mail order, seeing if I can solve the problem...I threw that shit right out the window as I was so pissed...
« Last Edit: January 10, 2015, 12:14:28 AM by sluggers »

sluggers

• Rep: -405
« Reply #98 on: January 10, 2015, 12:36:08 AM »
Nope, no one cares, fuck that!

N.L.

« Reply #99 on: January 10, 2015, 09:11:46 AM »
At least drop the dlxsf people an email. they will do you right.

MOE SYZLAK

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 800
  • "I never got to taste cantaloupe"
    • Cassette Skate Shop avatar image
« Reply #100 on: January 11, 2015, 12:11:54 AM »

Just set up the Herrington D & D series 53mm wide cut today
and heritage to answer your question
the wide cut SML are 100a
and the V cut are 99a

and J...Soy SML wheels are from AEND
« Last Edit: January 11, 2015, 12:17:31 AM by MOE SYZLAK »

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #101 on: January 11, 2015, 06:50:57 AM »
Found this:

AEND pours:
abec11
neversummer
sector9
3dm/seismic
tunnel
comet
ultra (rollerblade wheels)
alligator/bennett

Labeda pours:
some earthwing wheels
dregs
the new landyachtz
oust wheels
bustin
GFH
o-tangs

Surfone/Skateone
Powell
Bones
Surfone

Creative Urethane
rainskates
some earthwings
gravity
kryptonics
landyachtz
autobahn
lush

Mearthane
Road Rider
OJ
Ricta
Bullet
Crime
madrid

Moska
moska
viking (european wheels)

unknown:
sk8kings
manx/pps
poolking

dunno if it's right...

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

hufs calve muscles

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 47
« Reply #102 on: January 11, 2015, 07:08:25 AM »
The last two sets of normal spitfires have been straight doo doo.  Never again.

Bones all day but thats a standard for most of the people I know.

I just wanna buy some OJs for back in the day feels and that hopefully they will make me skate like Jake or Wes.

BMCsteve

« Reply #103 on: January 11, 2015, 07:53:56 AM »
Have you guys ever had problems with your bearings seating correctly in wheels?  I had the same issue with my last pair of F4's that I'm now having my a brand new pair of STF's. 

Basically on hard landings it appears that one or both bearings from a wheel will push out from the core 1-2mm causing the wheel to not spin freely.  It seems like axle slip but that's definitely not what's happening as the other wheel isn't effected at all (sometimes they will both tighten up on one truck)

I use spacers and speed rings on all of my wheels.  I don't remember this ever happening until the last couple years now it's almost every session.

Any ideas?

perverted super otaku!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -217
  • "Needless to say, I had the last laugh."
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #104 on: January 11, 2015, 07:58:43 AM »
Have you guys ever had problems with your bearings seating correctly in wheels?  I had the same issue with my last pair of F4's that I'm now having my a brand new pair of STF's. 

Basically on hard landings it appears that one or both bearings from a wheel will push out from the core 1-2mm causing the wheel to not spin freely.  It seems like axle slip but that's definitely not what's happening as the other wheel isn't effected at all (sometimes they will both tighten up on one truck)

I use spacers and speed rings on all of my wheels.  I don't remember this ever happening until the last couple years now it's almost every session.

Any ideas?
Spacer might be whats pushing them out

dbvx

• Rep: -4
« Reply #105 on: January 11, 2015, 08:36:37 AM »
Anyone ever ride the oj wheels at 92a. Or keyframes. Looking for something like a cruiser wheel but not too soft

N.L.

« Reply #106 on: January 11, 2015, 09:56:06 AM »
Anyone ever ride the oj wheels at 92a. Or keyframes. Looking for something like a cruiser wheel but not too soft

I really like the harder Ricta Clouds. 86a. Really good compromise between a cruiser wheel and regular rock hard skate wheel with a nice shape.

N.L.

« Reply #107 on: January 11, 2015, 09:58:20 AM »

Any ideas?

I get this, first session after putting bearings in a wheel. I just assumed it was the bearings settling into position. I usually only have to loosen them once very slightly and they never seem to seize up again. This is with STFs and F4s.

VCR

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 193
« Reply #108 on: January 11, 2015, 10:09:46 AM »

That shape looks perfect. I think I need to get on some OJ's again.

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #109 on: January 11, 2015, 03:33:47 PM »

Any ideas?
Had this happen with a set of STFs, the V2 shape. I've heard that the bearings popping out happens with that shape a lot actually. I got tired of it happening so I gave them away to a friend. He never complained about it though, must've not noticed it or he just didn't care.
I've never had that happen on a set of F4s yet though.

heritage

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #110 on: January 11, 2015, 06:52:35 PM »
Have you guys ever had problems with your bearings seating correctly in wheels?

Any ideas?

I know exactly what you are talking about Steve. I find it more in non-cored wheels. I can always count on Autobahn and SML having the strongest bearing seat and I rarely if ever have a problem.

This has always worked for me - put an additional washer on the inside of the wheel. After you've pushed in the first bearing and you flip the wheel to do the other side, put the bearing down as normal, then the spacer, then lay a washer on top of the spacer. Push it all together.

You can still use the normal washer on the outside of the wheel as normal. If that doesn't make sense, PM me and I'll send you a pic.

BMCsteve

« Reply #111 on: January 11, 2015, 07:22:10 PM »
Thanks for the tip man!  I'll give that a shot

Stibbons

• Rep: 1
« Reply #112 on: January 12, 2015, 12:19:51 PM »

I've got a set of keyframes that I'm pretty into. They are pretty hard to slide, though, and they come sort of pre-coned. Still a good ride. You might want to check out their Ditch Witches (92a).

BMCsteve

« Reply #113 on: January 12, 2015, 03:35:35 PM »
I think I'm going to try out the Austyn 52mm skinny Sml. wheels.

Just have to figure out what to do with 3 sets of nearly new STF and F4's that I have first haha

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 937
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #114 on: January 12, 2015, 06:26:29 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

That shape looks perfect. I think I need to get on some OJ's again.

Yeah, I've been eyeing those and these, love the sidecut shape and they are a few hairs thinner on riding surface:

Thing is my last set of OJs (strubings) felt a little 'dead', still hard, they slid, they weren't slow but compared to Bones/Spits/Ricta they felt a bit sluggish.

Looking at the Ricta NRGs as well.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 06:29:42 PM by Xen »

Ant

• Rep: 30
« Reply #115 on: January 13, 2015, 12:05:06 PM »
What are those OJs?

Stoeipoes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 53
« Reply #116 on: January 14, 2015, 04:28:12 AM »
Set up these a few days ago. They ride really good but didn't really test em yet because of the weather.

Bitches call me pussy, the horse filler.

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #117 on: January 14, 2015, 05:56:38 AM »

Thing is my last set of OJs (strubings) felt a little 'dead', still hard, they slid, they weren't slow but compared to Bones/Spits/Ricta they felt a bit sluggish.

That's how I felt about my 99 OJs. I loved the shape, the rebound was just how I like but they always felt a bit sluggish. Like maybe they did not carry speed as well as some other wheels.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 937
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #118 on: January 14, 2015, 11:40:36 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

That's how I felt about my 99 OJs. I loved the shape, the rebound was just how I like but they always felt a bit sluggish. Like maybe they did not carry speed as well as some other wheels.

My Strubings were 101a, I dumped them at a park =D

filmthis

• Rep: 0
« Reply #119 on: January 14, 2015, 08:38:43 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

My Strubings were 101a, I dumped them at a park =D
with the lego guys @ balboa park? if so, those wheels provided hella stoke for the month or two that i rode them for.
vx1000