Author Topic: Wheels Thread  (Read 778175 times)

big_kev_215, Frank and Fred, Free hat, Enrico Pallazzo and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

fulfillthedream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 305
Re: Wheels Thread
« Reply #180 on: June 17, 2015, 11:51:26 PM »
Anyone tried the Spits Luan conical? I need opinions fore' i buy thankssss
How slidy it is? compared to 101's spits and ricta nrg (81b)
and the feel of the wheels
how it does on grinds/ledges and stuff

there 99a duro. i skated the conical wides and personally prefer the classic shape f4s. my friend who always skated classics has em and isn't too into em. we primarily skate street ; ledges and flat.  conicals are supposed to lock in better into ledges/coping from what i've read on here.
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

mariomister

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 15
« Reply #181 on: June 18, 2015, 05:21:18 AM »

fur lined sea

• Rep: 223
« Reply #182 on: June 22, 2015, 02:14:22 AM »
^^^That entire new Broadcast line looks great. I love the variety of shapes they used. The Zach Lyons wheel looks really good for anyone that likes wides.

I would be down to give Broadcast another look, they sponsor some really good dudes, but the 53. Crop Circles scared me off a little bit. I am no weight whore but for a 53m wheel they were noticeably heavier and bulkier than everything else I skate.

Thanks for the heads up, Heritage. If I do pick up a set, I might size down and grab the Coakley 52s.

I sold the Satoris to a friend. They were really good quality, probably a bit too grippy. I would get them again, as they seem like they'd last a long time.

First set of Prize Fighters.

« Last Edit: June 22, 2015, 02:36:07 AM by clamy »
Globes Opinion made me depressed for years.

Randozzi

« Reply #183 on: June 22, 2015, 06:41:09 AM »
Nice, think you'll dig them.
New PFC stuff come out next month?

2thick

• Rep: -63
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #184 on: June 26, 2015, 01:10:10 PM »
http://m.socialskateboarding.com/p/oj-iii-gall-getoz-56mm-101a?gclid=CjwKEAjw8LOsBRDdub-swPW8riISJAAnmS01Ypq7dgfjvUi49iBLuUFrVNPrqBfPlwT_a_-j1raH4xoCKuTw_wcB
just got these Fred Gall oj's yesterday, 56mm is a pretty noticeable step up for me but im tired of taking the train to the city and having my feet go numb. Hopefully they treat me well

JB

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 858
  • Rusty Berrings Roll Forever
« Reply #185 on: June 27, 2015, 09:07:43 AM »

shout out to spitfire for these great 80hds. this somehow happened when i messed up a kickflip on flat.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 939
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #186 on: July 21, 2015, 09:55:00 AM »
I'm still skating my Ricta NRGs, I honestly can't find anything wrong with them.  I have swapped back and forth with spits - 101 radials (too wide) and 99a classics (too slow).

They're super fast, slide great, no flat spots yet, grip as well as any other wheel at speed, great shape too, not too thin, not too wide.

« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 10:00:57 AM by Xen »

mynameisnotjeff

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 581
« Reply #187 on: July 21, 2015, 11:46:13 AM »
Reupped on Autobahn Appleyard wheels this afternoon.  ;D

How do those skate? I've considered dual durowheels but I don't think I've heard much about them.
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

OldManSkate

• Rep: -3
« Reply #188 on: July 23, 2015, 01:24:45 PM »
I'm still skating my Ricta NRGs, I honestly can't find anything wrong with them.  I have swapped back and forth with spits - 101 radials (too wide) and 99a classics (too slow).

They're super fast, slide great, no flat spots yet, grip as well as any other wheel at speed, great shape too, not too thin, not too wide.
Man, I might have to try those Rictas next. How are you liking that Blood Wizard?@

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #189 on: July 28, 2015, 09:11:25 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Man, I might have to try those Rictas next. How are you liking that Blood Wizard?@

Bloodwizard decks are amazing. They have made all other decks feel boaty and heavy in comparison: they are thinner and lighter than anything I've ridden (even P2s) regardless of size great concave and super crispy; I don't know how they do it or why others haven't. The only downside is they make all their decks short, nothing 32" in length and wheelbases around 14.3ish. My BW is 8.37 (skates like an 8.25), was riding an 8.38 baker (skates like an 8.5) to shake things up and it just felt like a plank/boat (totally skate able just a noticeable/different feeling). I've got an 8.125" on hand I can't ride has it feels like a 7.xxx" so skinny.

Every time I switch it out, I end up going back to it (and it's pretty much done) - guess that is telling me something ;) As of today I am forcing my self to ride fat 8.25" so BW are out as there's is 31.5 long or something, so stubby...

I picked up a set of STF V5s (53 neon Raybourns) as I really like the shape and wanted to try them out. Shape is great and they felt very different than the V5s I have on hand and better than STFs I have ridden before, slide and chirp were great, fast too...but I flatspotted them! Didn't noticed until a few days after when I hit a park, I tried skating it out and doing the flatspot trick, no dice, it's still there. Hopefully Bones hooks me up, for not it's back to the Ricta setup (and maybe .sml depending on the setup).
« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 09:15:57 AM by Xen »

BMCsteve

« Reply #190 on: July 29, 2015, 06:44:03 AM »
Been skating slippery parks lately so I wanted to try out a wider wheel with a bit more grip so I'm giving the conical 99a's a shot.  Buddy at the park had them and they looked rad so I picked up a set

Compared to the super skinny wheels that i normally ride, these look like baked potatoes

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #191 on: August 04, 2015, 03:12:36 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I checked out the new drop of BW decks at a local shop....they changed woodshops and lost their thin-ply, light/stiff feel - now they feel just like anything else out of mexico =(

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1034
« Reply #192 on: August 04, 2015, 04:17:25 PM »

I've been skating the ricta 54 speed rings for a only a few days and I love them. They are faster and smoother than my bones 56mm.

OldManSkate

• Rep: -3
« Reply #193 on: August 05, 2015, 11:04:53 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

I checked out the new drop of BW decks at a local shop....they changed woodshops and lost their thin-ply, light/stiff feel - now they feel just like anything else out of mexico =(
Damn...I guess my deck will be another Real then.

Lonechicken

• Rep: 11
« Reply #194 on: August 05, 2015, 11:39:06 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

What was their old woodshop?

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #195 on: August 05, 2015, 01:42:57 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

[close]

What was their old woodshop?

No clue. A Slapal mentioned that they were made by a sister company to dwindle (whatever that means since Dwindle is it's own distro., unless they meant pressed at Dwindle), but I've never seen a Dwindle (or other deck co.) make a deck that looks and feels like this. I only know of Shorty's saying their decks are thinner than the industry standard 7ply stuff. It's very noticeable just by holding them (I don't have calipers so I can't measure) but I'd say they feel/look at least 2 plays thinner while still being 7 plys.

Shortys on top:

Deekay

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
« Reply #196 on: August 08, 2015, 10:18:36 AM »
Sorry to go off topic but since we're on the subject.. Do any other companies make thinner or thinner feeling boards? I like that alot and I'm pretty light so I don't break boards ever. Crailtap kinda has that but they're so fucking flat...

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #197 on: August 08, 2015, 11:56:21 AM »
Sorry to go off topic but since we're on the subject.. Do any other companies make thinner or thinner feeling boards? I like that alot and I'm pretty light so I don't break boards ever. Crailtap kinda has that but they're so fucking flat...

I had a Black Label Alfaro Pro model some years ago that felt pretty thin and light, yet stiff... I really liked that deck! Dunno the woodshop they use.

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #198 on: August 09, 2015, 10:49:53 AM »

Older Bloodwizards are that way, new Fall drop isn't. The Habitat Raptor series is pretty thin as well but outside P2s I haven't found anything consistent pressed with thinner plys (and I've looked); you could try the almost Double impact? 6 plays of wood and 1 carbon fiber ply. I've never held one as no one carries them. Anyone comment on if they are thinner? BMC had one I think?

perverted super otaku!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -217
  • "Needless to say, I had the last laugh."
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #199 on: August 09, 2015, 10:54:58 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Older Bloodwizards are that way, new Fall drop isn't. The Habitat Raptor series is pretty thin as well but outside P2s I haven't found anything consistent pressed with thinner plys (and I've looked); you could try the almost Double impact? 6 plays of wood and 1 carbon fiber ply. I've never held one as no one carries them. Anyone comment on if they are thinner? BMC had one I think?
The new Control mfg boards are light and feel kinda thin(compared to dlx), but super poppy and stiff with no sag

posguy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -54
« Reply #200 on: August 10, 2015, 01:29:08 PM »
How are Autobahn wheels? I ride Bones STFs right now but have been interested in Autobahn for a bit now party for aesthetic and partly for Apples.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #201 on: August 10, 2015, 01:45:02 PM »
How are Autobahn wheels? I ride Bones STFs right now but have been interested in Autobahn for a bit now party for aesthetic and partly for Apples.

They're great wheels, a bit grippier than STFs but other than that, top notch!

imgne

« Reply #202 on: August 10, 2015, 07:16:40 PM »
Got a shop guy rolling on a set of Wayward wheel at the moment, this dude honestly gives no fuck about what he rides, if I give him something, he'll shred it till its dead, so with that being said we normally just take down some notes/comparisons and I put the rest together in a bit of a rant/review of the product.

What we've come up with goes a little something like this...

Straight out of the wrapping you'll notice one thing, these wheels look like true urethane wheels, no plastic looking all white or over kiln'd type wheels like your popular STF & F4 wheels, Wayward look like what Spitfire F1's should of been!
Print wise, you'll notice the wheels have a small logo & size printed on each wheel, but on the other side of one wheel only, a full scale print with the Pro's initials as well, something a bit different to the regular, but its cool to see something a little different these days. Also a point of individuality to be made, each pro has chosen they're prefered duro & size for their wheels, in this case we're using the Chewy Cannon 101a 52mm wheels.
These days, every company is making claims or using gimmicks to promote their product, as far as we're aware, wayward don't, they market the way you would expect a true skateboard company to, let the pro's put it out there what they ride, let the skateboarders choose what they think will suit them and then let the product speak for itself.
We've got some rather shitty surfaces to roll around on in these parts and so far the wheels are holding up a lot better than we anticipated, no faults, no chips or flatspots as of yet, but the best part about these wheels is that you honestly feel like you're totally in control of the wheels no matter what surface you ride, they grip when you want them to grip and they slide when you want them to slide.
Obviously if you were to compare these wheels to the likes of the STF, NRG & F4 wheels, you'd probably find these may not roll as fast as the likes of them, but you wouldn't go as far its the end of the world, as they do roll rather fast considering and as we said before, you feel in control and comparing them to some of those other formula's, we've had instances where they can be a wild ride on certain surface's, not to say thats not fun sometimes, but you can't deny how good if feels to know you're not going to randomly wash out on a smoother'slippery surface with these wheels.

All in all, Wayward's got something damn good to offer the guy who wants to try something new, they may not be the biggest brand out there or the new big thing when it comes to wheels, but if you're the type of guy who wants a good looking, solid, reliable and reasonably price set of wheels, we highly suggest you give waywards a try.

P.S. I'm well aware that other companies do match their wheels to what the pro rides also, but so far wayward is yet to go into detail about how these wheels are apparently going to make you a better skateboarder etcetera etc... If you're the type of guy who likes hitting the local spots/parks, hits ledges, flatbars, banks and small transition, i think you should give these a go for yourself.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 07:28:16 PM by Clinten »

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1152
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #203 on: August 11, 2015, 06:25:25 AM »
i've been trying to get my hands on some wayward wheels, but can't find them anywhere in the U.S. 
hardly art, hardly starving

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #204 on: August 11, 2015, 09:53:21 AM »

Obviously if you were to compare these wheels to the likes of the STF, NRG & F4 wheels, you'd probably find these may not roll as fast as the likes of them

I'm all for trying out new brands but a slow wheel is not what I look for. Speed first, grip/slide second. Main reason I can't skate .sml or OJs, they feel soooooo sloooooow.

BMCsteve

« Reply #205 on: August 11, 2015, 10:37:50 AM »
Expand Quote

Obviously if you were to compare these wheels to the likes of the STF, NRG & F4 wheels, you'd probably find these may not roll as fast as the likes of them
[close]

I'm all for trying out new brands but a slow wheel is not what I look for. Speed first, grip/slide second. Main reason I can't skate .sml or OJs, they feel soooooo sloooooow.

My sml's bummed me out for that reason.  I liked everything about them but they were the only wheel that I've ever had that was drastically slower then others.  101 F4's roll faster than the 99's but it's not incredibly noticeable.  NRG's seemed a little faster than STF but the difference is minimal.

My sml's felt like like I was rolling through molasses

heritage

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 98
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #206 on: August 11, 2015, 10:56:58 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

My sml's bummed me out for that reason.  I liked everything about them but they were the only wheel that I've ever had that was drastically slower then others.  101 F4's roll faster than the 99's but it's not incredibly noticeable.  NRG's seemed a little faster than STF but the difference is minimal.

That's wild to hear Steve. Both pair of SML wides I had seemed pretty fast, but were really slippery. They sketched me out many times I felt like I was sliding out from everything. I fully back those dudes that are running SML and the team is sick, but the wheels are too slick for my tastes.

To the guy that asked about Autobahn, they are my go-to. Always consistent and I like the feel. It all comes down to personal preference always, and there are a lot of great wheels, and shape choices available from smaller companies these days: PFC, AB, Paradise, Satori, Type S, etc. Autobahn always seem to be a great balance between of speed/grip/slide.

I am currently skating a set of Paradise and I like them as much as Autobahn. I'm going to be staying on these for awhile. Really nice wheel that is fast, and will slide smooth parks or super rough spots.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 10:58:34 AM by heritage »

BMCsteve

« Reply #207 on: August 11, 2015, 01:56:19 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

My sml's bummed me out for that reason.  I liked everything about them but they were the only wheel that I've ever had that was drastically slower then others.  101 F4's roll faster than the 99's but it's not incredibly noticeable.  NRG's seemed a little faster than STF but the difference is minimal.

[close]

That's wild to hear Steve. Both pair of SML wides I had seemed pretty fast, but were really slippery. They sketched me out many times I felt like I was sliding out from everything. I fully back those dudes that are running SML and the team is sick, but the wheels are too slick for my tastes.

To the guy that asked about Autobahn, they are my go-to. Always consistent and I like the feel. It all comes down to personal preference always, and there are a lot of great wheels, and shape choices available from smaller companies these days: PFC, AB, Paradise, Satori, Type S, etc. Autobahn always seem to be a great balance between of speed/grip/slide.

I am currently skating a set of Paradise and I like them as much as Autobahn. I'm going to be staying on these for awhile. Really nice wheel that is fast, and will slide smooth parks or super rough spots.

I definitely back sml as a company and the team.  It is possible that maybe I got a set from an off batch or something because I've heard others say they are fine.  I think only Xen and I have noted that they're slow. 

I definitely want to give Paradise a shot if you recommend them.  You and Xen are my wheel gurus haha

imgne

« Reply #208 on: August 11, 2015, 05:35:24 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Fair point, we tested these wheels on two types of surfaces, our local park which has the one of the rougher flat surfaces around here and a prefab park that has slippery wood componants, the wayward 101a roll rather similar to the 99a F4 on the rougher surface park, the STF & NRG formula are faster, but they're definantly not a sluggish wheel, like OJ's and Spitfire Parkburners.
Another point I should make though is our park recently had all the transitions and banks painted, on the banks you could really notice how the waywards had more control and when we rode them on the slippery as fuck Rhino Ramps, they didn't slip out randomly like the STF's, NRG & to a lessor extent, the F4 101's do.. But they will still slide when you want them too as well, rather buttery like a coloured spitfire wheel...?
It comes down to what you're riding, if you're riding shit surfaces, you're going to want the hardest formula's going, as the rebound on those formula's allows you to roll faster without taking too much of the surface in and as much as you can skate those same wheels on the more slick/slippery surfaces, that same rebound factor can cause you to lose control on the occasion as its not taking the surface in as much as a true urethane wheel will..

I only compared the waywards to the new age urethane wheels as they're what are more popular, but in all honesty, I shouldn't, because what wayward has done, is made a one of the best (if not the #1) true urethane wheels on the market and holds it own compared to those new age wheels, but if you look at whats out there for the true urethane market (SML, Gold, Autobahn, Broadcast, Spitfire F1 etc..) you'll find that these wheels are amazing in comparison, especailly for the price (Australian store, our RRP is $60 for a set Wayward, which is also the same price as Spitfire F1's and the waywards are far superior to them, where as the NRG, Bones & F4's wheels are $70 a set)

P.S. - I'm sure the term True Urethane is probably the worst way to describe wheels as they're all urethane, but given the chalkier look of new age wheels, some people may understand what I mean when I say it.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 05:50:30 PM by Clinten »

shit_for_brains

« Reply #209 on: August 12, 2015, 12:01:19 AM »
I know none of this is cool but I'm old, I only skate parks of varying quality, and I love the Bones V3. Where can I go from here?