Author Topic: Wheels Thread  (Read 775110 times)

Xtal

Re: Wheels Thread
« Reply #240 on: December 07, 2015, 05:41:57 PM »
Spitfires have gotten better but not all bones are the same. They have skinnys if you need more slippery wheels and 5 shapes of stf.

Yup even the super skinny V3 shape didn't slide as well as I would have liked. Not saying they're bad wheels, just not for me.

saltusnaut

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 36
« Reply #241 on: December 08, 2015, 02:38:56 AM »
Started skating a set of Pfc lurker lou 54mm 95a yesterday. They are definitely grippy. Perfect for our dusty indoor masonite park. Felt awesome! Had the best sesh in a long time due to the added control the extra grip provided. Stil slid when I wanted to. Definitely recommend them for dusty indoor parks.

Such

« Reply #242 on: December 08, 2015, 03:45:33 PM »
I've tried the Bones STFs and SPFs and they were disappointing. I need a wheel that will allow me to powerslide a long time and have a quick response. The Bones were way too grippy. I don't understand all the reviews I've read where people said they're way too slippery. It's just not true.

Spitfire Formula Four 54mm 101a's in the classic shape have been my go-to for a long time. However, I decided to try something different on cyber Monday and ordered some OJ "Power Riders" 54mm 101a's. Haven't skated them yet but they look and feel like high quality urethane.

I know that the "durometer scale" within the industry is pretty regular but anything lower than "101a" aren't slippery enough for me.

i start sliding all over the place whenever i skate anything over 99a... i skate really fast though. wish i could find a wheels that was like 96-97a somewhere.

mynameisnotjeff

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 578
« Reply #243 on: December 08, 2015, 05:25:01 PM »
Just bought some Autobahn dual duro but I really feel like picking up a pair of those OJ's To see how they compare to Formula Fours!!!
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

Xtal

« Reply #244 on: December 08, 2015, 06:56:16 PM »
Expand Quote
I've tried the Bones STFs and SPFs and they were disappointing. I need a wheel that will allow me to powerslide a long time and have a quick response. The Bones were way too grippy. I don't understand all the reviews I've read where people said they're way too slippery. It's just not true.

Spitfire Formula Four 54mm 101a's in the classic shape have been my go-to for a long time. However, I decided to try something different on cyber Monday and ordered some OJ "Power Riders" 54mm 101a's. Haven't skated them yet but they look and feel like high quality urethane.

I know that the "durometer scale" within the industry is pretty regular but anything lower than "101a" aren't slippery enough for me.
[close]

i start sliding all over the place whenever i skate anything over 99a... i skate really fast though. wish i could find a wheels that was like 96-97a somewhere.

Hmm...do you skate indoor a lot? When I skate indoor I slide all over the place lol. Outdoor, 101a aren't insanely slippery they're just how it should be. Having a powerslide locked and loaded ready for whenever you choose.

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 389
« Reply #245 on: March 30, 2016, 07:26:58 AM »
How would you guys compare a set of sml. Wheels to the f4's. Been on the 101 f4's for a while now and currently are rocking the Silas wheels. Wanting to give the little guys a shot, I've had two sets of pfcs too so if they are comparable I might grab a set at the shop

Coconut Lotion

« Reply #246 on: March 30, 2016, 09:44:51 AM »
How would you guys compare a set of sml. Wheels to the f4's. Been on the 101 f4's for a while now and currently are rocking the Silas wheels. Wanting to give the little guys a shot, I've had two sets of pfcs too so if they are comparable I might grab a set at the shop

save yourself the hassle and keep skating/buy more f4's

BMCsteve

« Reply #247 on: March 30, 2016, 10:15:22 AM »

I hate to bag on sml because they're a small company but I had a pair of the Austyn slim wheels with the black core and they were the slowest wheels that I've ever skated.  It was the only time that I really noticed one wheel being significantly slower than others.

If your happy with F4's there's no reason to switch

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 389
« Reply #248 on: March 30, 2016, 03:26:36 PM »
Ended up grabbing the f4's. Went from 53 to 54 just to do something different ,shop had conicals but wasn't feeling adventurous enough

Toydivision

« Reply #249 on: March 30, 2016, 04:01:17 PM »
Anyone skated Wayward wheels? Are they any good?

I'm skating F4's currently, the conicals, I like them and they'll probably last me another 4-5 months.

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 578
« Reply #250 on: March 30, 2016, 04:13:50 PM »
Just bought some Autobahn dual duro but I really feel like picking up a pair of those OJ's To see how they compare to Formula Fours!!!
In case anyone cares, I skated the Autobahn wheels. They have a slim shape but won't slide as well as 99 F4 with the classic shape. They look cool but aren't the wheel for me.
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

heritage

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 98
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #251 on: March 30, 2016, 06:25:21 PM »
I hate to bag on sml because they're a small company but I had a pair of the Austyn slim wheels with the black core and they were the slowest wheels that I've ever skated.  It was the only time that I really noticed one wheel being significantly slower than others.

I have no scientific way of proving this but I swear SML uses different urethane for different cuts of wheels. I had a set of Herrington wide cuts that were some of the fastest and slickest wheels I've ever skated. Too slick for me, felt like I was skating on banana peels. A few months back I tried a set of Knox V-Cuts and had a similar experience to yours Steve. They felt slow, gummy, wouldn't slide and not ANYTHING like the wides I had. I skated them 30 minutes and took them off. Like you said, I hate bagging on them but maybe I got a defective set.

In case anyone cares, I skated the Autobahn wheels. They have a slim shape but won't slide as well as 99 F4 with the classic shape. They look cool but aren't the wheel for me.

Autobahn only for me. Not really a big fan of their 'B' formula but anything else they make is golden for me. A lot of different shapes to choose from too.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1562
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #252 on: March 30, 2016, 09:57:20 PM »
Has it been broken down who the manu's are?  There must be the same ones for a bunch yeah? 

WeirdBeach

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 14
« Reply #253 on: March 30, 2016, 11:27:02 PM »
Has anyone tried Canal? The wide shape looks really good. I'm skating SML Herringtons right now.

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -83
« Reply #254 on: March 30, 2016, 11:42:16 PM »
99 f4 Classics. Since they've been out and I try something different I regret it.
you never know about pre-cum 

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1140
« Reply #255 on: March 31, 2016, 07:25:17 AM »
99 f4 Classics. Since they've been out and I try something different I regret it.

I still want to try out a set of Wayward wheels and ive been curious about Canal as well, the shape looks cool...but I always come back to dwarf's quote...
hardly art, hardly starving

Cherb

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -19
« Reply #256 on: March 31, 2016, 07:35:59 AM »
Spitfire 99 f4 classic's are the business, and I can also get down on some 53mm ricta park crushers. OJ keyframes are beautiful to throw on the cruiser too.

coneklr

« Reply #257 on: March 31, 2016, 07:37:07 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I still want to try out a set of Wayward wheels and ive been curious about Canal as well, the shape looks cool...but I always come back to dwarf's quote...

Yup, I won't mess with wheels again, F4's until I can't skate.  I have loved every set I've had and only replace them because I feel like it not because they needed it

N.L.

« Reply #258 on: March 31, 2016, 07:40:52 AM »
same. been riding nothing but 99a F4s for a few years now and i kind of want to try something else just for the hell of it. tempted to try some 101 F4s or even straight classics again. but i'm guessing i will  instantly regret moving away from my perfect wheel...

Jordick

« Reply #259 on: March 31, 2016, 08:30:46 AM »
I've been riding some 56mm radial 99a f4's. Really no need for another wheel. I do love the classics though.

Andmoreagain

• Rep: 51
« Reply #260 on: March 31, 2016, 08:51:46 AM »
Was riding 99 F4s for a long time untill I started riding bigger concrete bowls, where i found em too slippery. Recently switched to 97a (I think) Santa Cruz Slime Balls, which were the only 97 i could find.

Took a little getting used to but they grip great and I find they're fine for sliding around as well. I'm happy here

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 934
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #261 on: March 31, 2016, 10:16:09 AM »
Vision Blurr IIS, OJs were the jam, then came Spit classics and Ricta Naturals, then modern Bones (riding mini cubics as a street skater sucked balls).

I prefer thinner wheels (Bones V2/half the ricta shapes). I tried to love the 99a spits (twice), my kids ride them now. The classic shaped wheel, be it the V5s, OJs, they're like little wheelballs. Rode a few sets of 101s (classic, conical, radial, sstill have'em all), finally settled on the 101a Radial Slims, its the perfect spitfire; thin-ish, hard and fast with a dense feel to them (all F4s feel this way to me).

I'm also in the minority (except for BMC) but the Ricta NRGs are just so damn fast. Faster feeling than the 101 spits, thinner/different variety of shapes (yet providing the Classic and Conical shape). They feel totally different than spits but provide the same effects (grip, slide, speed); they make the 101 spits feel like the 99s.

Can't go wrong with Autobahn either (though like Ricta you have to go through hoops to get flatspot replacements unlike Bones or Spits: send them bak, get new wheels); With ABs, be sure to fill out your warranty or they will ask for pictures, etc. for whatever reason, the factory decides not the buys at AB.

Eric ricks

« Reply #262 on: March 31, 2016, 10:32:50 AM »
I gotta go back to 99s, im riding bones 101s right now and it just feels off.

Big Baby Jesus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 268
    • Suciu avatar image
« Reply #263 on: March 31, 2016, 11:06:02 AM »
I was interested in Wayward too if anyone has feedback.

Also, does any one know if Huf is going to be restarting Metropolitan? Feel like I heard that as while back and haven't seen anything since...
flat spotted 3 times in 2 weeks, other than that awesome wheels

Baby is gonna be raised by Max and Cyrus

Cherb

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #264 on: March 31, 2016, 12:14:12 PM »

I'm also in the minority (except for BMC) but the Ricta NRGs are just so damn fast. Faster feeling than the 101 spits, thinner/different variety of shapes (yet providing the Classic and Conical shape). They feel totally different than spits but provide the same effects (grip, slide, speed); they make the 101 spits feel like the 99s.

Yeah the park crushers I'm riding right now are the NRG formula.,, Just in 83b instead of 81 and in a wider, side cut shape. They're everything you said. I like them a lot.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 934
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #265 on: March 31, 2016, 05:49:50 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Yeah the park crushers I'm riding right now are the NRG formula.,, Just in 83b instead of 81 and in a wider, side cut shape. They're everything you said. I like them a lot.

I still have my 55mm crushers, I flatted them (or thought I had then found a clear clump of some shit stuck on them, slides and whathave you didn't dislodge it, haven't tried them again).

Cherb

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #266 on: March 31, 2016, 10:05:29 PM »
I still have my 55mm crushers, I flatted them (or thought I had then found a clear clump of some shit stuck on them, slides and whathave you didn't dislodge it, haven't tried them again).

Damn that's weird. I wonder what the hell got on them to be stuck on that hard.

BMCsteve

« Reply #267 on: April 01, 2016, 04:39:12 AM »

I'm stoked to be back on NRGs after the last year on F4's.  There's absolutely nothing wrong with F4's but for me NRGs do everything slightly better.  As you mentioned, slightly faster, slightly more grip at speed, slightly more slide when you want it.  I also prefer their shapes over F4's

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1140
« Reply #268 on: April 01, 2016, 07:38:18 AM »
I have a set of Wayward Lucas 52s...but I'm waiting another month or so to put em on until the weather mellows out and dries out.
hardly art, hardly starving

BMCsteve

« Reply #269 on: April 01, 2016, 09:56:42 AM »
I have a set of Wayward Lucas 52s...but I'm waiting another month or so to put em on until the weather mellows out and dries out.

Nice!  Have you skated any Wayward's yet?  Great team and great looking wheels but I haven't been able to find any reviews on them yet