Author Topic: Wheels Thread  (Read 777897 times)

mrselfdestruct (+ 1 Hidden) and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

gsosa

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 290
Re: Wheels Thread
« Reply #360 on: September 14, 2016, 09:21:15 PM »
Hey guys I recently came up on some Keyframes, and I would like to know how well do they slide?

Avon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -2
« Reply #361 on: September 14, 2016, 09:51:36 PM »
Hey guys I recently came up on some Keyframes, and I would like to know how well do they slide?

really hard to slide them if at all. Your not gonna be bombing a hill and just busting slides on these, no way. I can't ride any other wheel now though. I bought some formula fours because I missed powersliding a lot but couldn't stand the feel of them after being on keyframes for a year. Hated all the feedback from hard wheels, feet vibrating, loud, etc.

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 525
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #362 on: September 14, 2016, 10:15:38 PM »
here's a set of sml. AG 53mm v cut next to some Spitfire F4 53mm conical full

I saw SML had these coming out, was really curious as to the shape, they're some new forumla for SMLor something if i remember right

danjtony

• Rep: -4
« Reply #363 on: September 14, 2016, 10:17:58 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

really hard to slide them if at all. Your not gonna be bombing a hill and just busting slides on these, no way. I can't ride any other wheel now though. I bought some formula fours because I missed powersliding a lot but couldn't stand the feel of them after being on keyframes for a year. Hated all the feedback from hard wheels, feet vibrating, loud, etc.

If you're looking for a softer, slideable wheel, I've been using Mini Logo 90a (56mm) on my cruiser for a while now. They roll down fucked up streets and sidewalks well enough and still offer some slide. Spitfire Soft D's might be worth checking out too.

N.L.

« Reply #364 on: September 15, 2016, 07:01:37 AM »
you can get keyframes to slide. all wheels will slide with the right technique. eat some more cake and put a bit of weight into it.

Jud Nestorkins

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -59
  • Only YOU can prevent corporate espionage.
« Reply #365 on: September 16, 2016, 02:46:53 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
F4 classic shape is all you need. Any surface, they're fine, 99 or 101, the difference isn't that great. They do everything you need them to.
[close]
I like my wheels as hard as diamonds. I usually under rotate a lot of my tricks too, so the more a wheels slides for me the better haha.

That is why I have been riding STFs for years.

As for the shape? V3s every time. Love a skinny wheel but prefer rounder wheels to squareish. V3s are everything I look for in a wheel.

Spitfire's classic shape is WAAAY to wide for my tastes.
[close]

Hard as diamonds? Ricta.

Classic spits are like tennis balls.

I have ridden skinny ass STFs for long and I can get these for pretty cheap but they are really wide? While I think that wider wheels look way cooler, what are the advantages for a wider wheel? Do they still slide as good? I don't want to pull the trigger on an impulse.

https://www.nhsfunfactory.com/item/22221719/ricta/52mm-pro-nrg-louie-lopez-81b-wheels

edit: After a little research I just got them. Only $18.99 though so no harm done. Hell I might even ike them.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 05:29:23 PM by Jud Nestorkins »

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #366 on: September 21, 2016, 08:35:59 AM »
After skating a set of STFs for almost more than a year now, the bearing seats in a couple of the wheels are wearing out, so now the bearings don't stay put and they pop out super easily. If I take a wheel and smack it against my hand sideways the bearing easily will pop out into my hand, that's how bad it is.
I took em off my setup and set up some Pigs I had laying around that I've been saving for a while. Kinda wanted to ride the STFs out a bit longer and save the Pigs for later, but I wasn't expecting this bearing seat issue to happen.

So far I'm digging the Pigs a lot. First set I've had in years. They used to be my favorite wheels back in the day when they were more popular; these days they seem a bit more low key. They feel better than I remember them being too; not sure if they changed up their formula or what, but it almost feels like I'm riding a spit classic formula wheel. I'm diggin it.

Esquivel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 214
« Reply #367 on: September 22, 2016, 03:18:06 AM »
After skating a set of STFs for almost more than a year now, the bearing seats in a couple of the wheels are wearing out, so now the bearings don't stay put and they pop out super easily. If I take a wheel and smack it against my hand sideways the bearing easily will pop out into my hand, that's how bad it is.
I took em off my setup and set up some Pigs I had laying around that I've been saving for a while. Kinda wanted to ride the STFs out a bit longer and save the Pigs for later, but I wasn't expecting this bearing seat issue to happen.

So far I'm digging the Pigs a lot. First set I've had in years. They used to be my favorite wheels back in the day when they were more popular; these days they seem a bit more low key. They feel better than I remember them being too; not sure if they changed up their formula or what, but it almost feels like I'm riding a spit classic formula wheel. I'm diggin it.

the reason i have quit using bones. happened to 3-4 different sets of mine and to the two sets my mate got but only after a few weeks in, not a full year.
someone also claimed i was an industry guy because i said these things haha
Expand Quote
And people say weed makes you creative
[close]
Good weed does - these broke ass skateboard designers smokin spice

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #368 on: September 22, 2016, 09:53:11 AM »
the reason i have quit using bones. happened to 3-4 different sets of mine and to the two sets my mate got but only after a few weeks in, not a full year.
someone also claimed i was an industry guy because i said these things haha
I've actually had this happen back in 08 on a set of STF V2 53mms right off the bat, like a month in; not super bad like how it is now but still bad enough to be bothersome to me and effect my setup. Had to take em off. Had like 5-6 sets of STFs since then and never really encountered that problem again up until this recent set, but then again i usually only ride my wheels for six months or so before I get new ones, but with this set I wanted to run em until they were dust, so maybe it's a problem that happens with STFs when they start wearing down that's more common than I thought, but I just never noticed because I always end up switching em out or giving em away before it happens.

Cherb

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -19
« Reply #369 on: September 22, 2016, 11:16:15 AM »
I've been skating a set of the Ricta NRG park crushers that are 53mm and I can't find another set of them anywhere. So I've been thinking about getting a set of the regular Ricta NRG's that are 53mm. Does anyone happen to know how big of a difference there is in terms of the hardness between the two? I've also been contemplating Spitfire F4 101a's. I've skated F4 99a and I liked them but they were a little soft for my blood.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2016, 11:40:32 AM by Cherb »

Jud Nestorkins

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #370 on: September 22, 2016, 12:33:16 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
F4 classic shape is all you need. Any surface, they're fine, 99 or 101, the difference isn't that great. They do everything you need them to.
[close]
I like my wheels as hard as diamonds. I usually under rotate a lot of my tricks too, so the more a wheels slides for me the better haha.

That is why I have been riding STFs for years.

As for the shape? V3s every time. Love a skinny wheel but prefer rounder wheels to squareish. V3s are everything I look for in a wheel.

Spitfire's classic shape is WAAAY to wide for my tastes.
[close]

Hard as diamonds? Ricta.

Classic spits are like tennis balls.
[close]

I have ridden skinny ass STFs for long and I can get these for pretty cheap but they are really wide? While I think that wider wheels look way cooler, what are the advantages for a wider wheel? Do they still slide as good? I don't want to pull the trigger on an impulse.

https://www.nhsfunfactory.com/item/22221719/ricta/52mm-pro-nrg-louie-lopez-81b-wheels

edit: After a little research I just got them. Only $18.99 though so no harm done. Hell I might even ike them.

OK so these Rictas are amazing.  They feel just as hard as my bones ( but feel less plasticky) and the surface area that you actually slide on seems only the tiniest bit wider than my bones even though the overall shape of the wheel is a lot more squared off then the bones. So I haven't really noticed a difference with the slide but I actually really like the conical-esc shape.   Plus these things feel fast as hell.

Main

• Rep: -208
« Reply #371 on: September 22, 2016, 02:26:37 PM »
No wheels need to exist besides Spitfire Formula 4's. All others are obsolete. If you're contemplating the 101a's go for it and you'll never skate another wheel. Even if you try out an OJ or Pig at 101a it's like skating a crappy set of Bones 99's or Spitfire Classics. No one else makes a formula better than the 4's.

heritage

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 98
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #372 on: September 22, 2016, 07:27:28 PM »
No wheels need to exist besides Spitfire Formula 4's. All others are obsolete. If you're contemplating the 101a's go for it and you'll never skate another wheel. Even if you try out an OJ or Pig at 101a it's like skating a crappy set of Bones 99's or Spitfire Classics. No one else makes a formula better than the 4's.

K, thanks.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 938
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #373 on: September 23, 2016, 06:26:28 PM »

OK so these Rictas are amazing.  They feel just as hard as my bones ( but feel less plasticky) and the surface area that you actually slide on seems only the tiniest bit wider than my bones even though the overall shape of the wheel is a lot more squared off then the bones. So I haven't really noticed a difference with the slide but I actually really like the conical-esc shape.   Plus these things feel fast as hell.
[/quote

I told you! =D

I've been skating a set of the Ricta NRG park crushers that are 53mm and I can't find another set of them anywhere. So I've been thinking about getting a set of the regular Ricta NRG's that are 53mm. Does anyone happen to know how big of a difference there is in terms of the hardness between the two? I've also been contemplating Spitfire F4 101a's. I've skated F4 99a and I liked them but they were a little soft for my blood.

Crushers/naturals are the only 101

http://rictawheels.com/catalog

The 99a wheels are crazy hard for a 99a, especially when you compare them to spits. Night and Day.

« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 06:31:54 PM by Xen »

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -83
« Reply #374 on: September 23, 2016, 10:48:49 PM »
I got a set of Ricta speed rings on the cheap, same NRG formula, they're super fast, grippy, and they BARK. I like them but they're so plasticy white, they look straight off of a toys r us complete.
you never know about pre-cum 

Jud Nestorkins

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #375 on: September 24, 2016, 04:18:03 AM »

I told you! =D

And thank you for that. I can't remember the last time I was this happy with a set of wheels!

PS I thought all Rictas were 81B which is like 102A right? Well even if they are 99A they feel way harder than any other 99 wheel I've ever had.

I got a set of Ricta speed rings... they're so plasticy white, they look straight off of a toys r us complete.
Yeah they look un-naturally white but I kind of love it haha.

Edit: If you are curious about what I/Level 60 are talking about, Here are my NRG's before they were ever ridden.

« Last Edit: September 24, 2016, 04:31:39 AM by Jud Nestorkins »

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #376 on: September 24, 2016, 10:33:51 AM »
They yellow up some, my nrgs look like old bones now, that off white dirty cream color.

Zimmer

• Rep: -9
« Reply #377 on: September 26, 2016, 07:44:02 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

OK so these Rictas are amazing.  They feel just as hard as my bones ( but feel less plasticky) and the surface area that you actually slide on seems only the tiniest bit wider than my bones even though the overall shape of the wheel is a lot more squared off then the bones. So I haven't really noticed a difference with the slide but I actually really like the conical-esc shape.   Plus these things feel fast as hell.
[/quote

I told you! =D

Expand Quote
[close]

The 99a wheels are crazy hard for a 99a, especially when you compare them to spits. Night and Day.

F4's are probably the softest "101" out there, and 99's feel like what 98a or 97a should be!

Cherb

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #378 on: September 27, 2016, 12:09:13 AM »

Thank you! I don't know why the naturals never caught my eye but the 101's are almost the same wheel I've been looking for it seems.

Phillip Flathead

• Rep: -7
« Reply #379 on: October 09, 2016, 09:40:01 PM »
Picked up a pair of 99a conical full f4's from my local shop today and holy hell they are a thousand times better than stfs
Somehow they have more grip and way less harsh feel than stfs while still being just as fast or faster and having a better slide. I know a million people have said it but they really do feel more like urethane than plastic. No flat spots even with long slides to a dead stop too. Unless these things disintegrate I'm never going back to stfs again

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #380 on: October 27, 2016, 03:18:15 AM »
Everyone I really need your help, are ricta naturals any good since they're the NRG formula now and which hardness would be closest to a bones stf? Or which one is grippier 99 or 101 and that could be a rookie/kook question but in my opinion and experience formula fours feel more slippery than bones stf

I was riding formula fours for the last maybe year and a half or 2 years and a few months ago stepped back on stf's and idk they felt grippier and more street adapted in grip to slid ability

Formula fours feel like real urethane but at the same time they felt so slippery to me or too grippy(classics&radial are too slippery and conicals too grippy)

But yeah in general, which ricta natural 99 or 101 feels like an stf ? I ask because you guys bought me with that NRG formula actually being fast
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 08:48:40 AM by rob »
yes

Turtle Boy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 169
« Reply #381 on: October 27, 2016, 07:07:17 AM »
I see all you guys talking about 101A or 99 durometers, you guys realize there is nothing as a 101A? It's pure marketing and comparing a 99 from a brand to another 99 from another brand is comparing blackberries and raspberries, they are kinda close but not really.
The wheel game is fucked.
Stiffness, grippyness, weight, abrasion resistance differ from one brand to another even if they are both 99A. I'm almost positive that colored F4 must have slightly different physical properties than natural F4, due to the use of pigments.

Cherb

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #382 on: October 27, 2016, 04:21:08 PM »
I see all you guys talking about 101A or 99 durometers, you guys realize there is nothing as a 101A? It's pure marketing.....
...The A scale does not go up to 101. But that doesn't mean a wheel isn't harder than 100A. They're just saying 101 because the A scale is what has been the standard and they don't feel like using the B scale.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #383 on: October 27, 2016, 05:41:55 PM »
Ricta 99a (everything but naturals which are 101, and the one pro wheel at 98...talk about splitting hairs there) -  grippy and fast. Much faster than spits (any shape, any duro).

F4s feel great, like mentioned in another post, they feel like old school urethane, which is awesome but I find them slower (in parks) than say an STF or Ricta and just wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiide. I've tried just about all shapes and duro combos except full conical 99a, which I assume to be akin to skating on apples, slow and mushy. The duros seem much too soft.

OJ insane-a-thane, shitty name/marketing be damned, are my new favorite wheel - just picked up a set of 101a hardlines (park shape, i.e. spit conical/SPF P5 shape/my fav shape). Been skating the ez-edge wheel, which is a traditional 'street' shape, e.g., spit classics, bones V1 - Fast, grippy, slide great and chirp nicely. I like them better than my 99a rictas as they are a lilttle less grippy. They feel great on both rough/smooth street and parks (much like STFs are the same way); they feel right in the middle of ricta and spits to me.

The insane-a-thane is a totally different formula than the slow ass regular OJ thane; night and day difference. I've seen more and more insane a thanes at my park which is usually indy/ace/bones/spit.

SPFs are fast and hard but too slick for me since I tend to go fast and slide out. Same with STFs

Autobahn - too grippy for me, tho the 100a formula is quite nice on a thin wheel

The comment about colored than is on point, any colored wheel I've ever skated has always felt different; in the case of colored STFs, they felt better.

They all flat spot, just figure out what you need: do you slide all your tricks that extra 45? Rerverts? Blunt slides? ledge shit? Get a slidey wheel...just drops and rails? Find a shape that locks in and feels good.

Main

• Rep: -208
« Reply #384 on: October 27, 2016, 05:42:48 PM »
Expand Quote
I see all you guys talking about 101A or 99 durometers, you guys realize there is nothing as a 101A? It's pure marketing.....
[close]
...The A scale does not go up to 101. But that doesn't mean a wheel isn't harder than 100A. They're just saying 101 because the A scale is what has been the standard and they don't feel like using the B scale.

Exactly. Skate some 99a F4's for awhile and then throw on some 101a's and you'll feel a big difference.

heritage

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 98
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #385 on: October 27, 2016, 06:02:25 PM »
OJ insane-a-thane, shitty name/marketing be damned, are my new favorite wheel - just picked up a set of 101a hardlines (park shape, i.e. spit conical/SPF P5 shape/my fav shape). Been skating the ez-edge wheel, which is a traditional 'street' shape, e.g., spit classics, bones V1 - Fast, grippy, slide great and chirp nicely. I like them better than my 99a rictas as they are a lilttle less grippy. They feel great on both rough/smooth street and parks (much like STFs are the same way); they feel right in the middle of ricta and spits to me.

The insane-a-thane is a totally different formula than the slow ass regular OJ thane; night and day difference. I've seen more and more insane a thanes at my park which is usually indy/ace/bones/spit.

Autobahn - too grippy for me, tho the 100a formula is quite nice on a thin wheel

Autobahn Brezinski Union wheel is my current favorite. Nice thin shape and says it's the same 100 duro as they use on their other wheels but it doesn't feel like it to me. Slides are easier and they feel faster.

To the OJ point, couldn't agree more. The Insane-a-thane is all around superior to their original formula. I don't know why they just don't make all their wheels with the Insane formula bc it's not even close. I had some Dela's in original and they felt gummy.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #386 on: October 27, 2016, 06:12:01 PM »
Ricta 99a (everything but naturals which are 101, and the one pro wheel at 98...talk about splitting hairs there) -� grippy and fast. Much faster than spits (any shape, any duro).

F4s feel great, like mentioned in another post, they feel like old school urethane, which is awesome but I find them slower (in parks) than say an STF or Ricta and just wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiide. I've tried just about all shapes and duro combos except full conical 99a, which I assume to be akin to skating on apples, slow and mushy. The duros seem much too soft.

SPFs are fast and hard but too slick for me since I tend to go fast and slide out. Same with STFs

The comment about colored than is on point, any colored wheel I've ever skated has always felt different; in the case of colored STFs, they felt better.

They all flat spot, just figure out what you need: do you slide all your tricks that extra 45? Rerverts? Blunt slides? ledge shit? Get a slidey wheel...just drops and rails? Find a shape that locks in and feels good.

NOICE! I've got 99 radial slims sitting on ice and now your review of 99 F4s plus the bearing story the other day is getting me worried :o I'm sure they'll be fine!

PFC you want HARD street wheels? these should be your go to. At 37 years of age PFCs tend to rattle my teeth a bit too much but if Leo Valls has trouble flat spotting them then you know you're pretty much set! Shapes feel like classic spitty shapes, nothing too out there. Also won't turn that shitty yellow colour even after a year or two
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 06:33:35 PM by Gay Imp Sausage Metal »

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #387 on: October 27, 2016, 06:23:45 PM »
I've never had bearing seat issues except for a bad pour on some satoris. Not sure what the spitfire bearing seat thing is - even looking at the diagram, I couldn't figure out what the issue was as it looked normal to me?

Spitfire F4s are awesome, just not hard enough for me, even the 101s.

Gummy is for sure the right word for the 'other OJ formula, Heritage...

I picked up a set of OJs,The Classy Smoke Delatorre Wheels, 53mm, Side Cut Profile (bad ass shape) and they were the slowest thing I've ridden, probably good for shitty streets tho, or ditches...SLOWEST urethane ever:

https://www.nativeskatestore.co.uk/skateboards-c7/skateboard-wheels-c8/oj-wheels-classy-smoke-delatorre-101a-skateboard-wheels-53mm-p24500

My guess is, NHS has a ton of poured wheels sitting around and screen them as they need them to use theme up. I'd imagine some duded like the slower thane, Rowely/Jesse ride that shit.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 06:26:08 PM by Xen »

N.L.

« Reply #388 on: October 27, 2016, 09:25:41 PM »

except full conical 99a, which I assume to be akin to skating on apples, slow and mushy. The duros seem much too soft

Funny you should mention that. I'm on some worn down F4 99a 56mm Conical Fulls right now and I can't get over how fast they feel. Skated Burnside the other day and had more speed than I knew what to do with...

Its going to take one hell of a wheel to get me off F4s. Personal fav shapes are Classics and Radials. Love both the 99a and 101as but find the 99a a bit more versatile for my tastes....

Jake From State Farm

« Reply #389 on: October 27, 2016, 09:56:04 PM »
Expand Quote

except full conical 99a, which I assume to be akin to skating on apples, slow and mushy. The duros seem much too soft

[close]

Funny you should mention that. I'm on some worn down F4 99a 56mm Conical Fulls right now and I can't get over how fast they feel. Skated Burnside the other day and had more speed than I knew what to do with...

Its going to take one hell of a wheel to get me off F4s. Personal fav shapes are Classics and Radials. Love both the 99a and 101as but find the 99a a bit more versatile for my tastes....

Same. I skate slappy curbs and smooth parks and these things are still going after what I think to be a few years. They're a Lance Mountain wheel from a while ago. Really fast, durable wheels.