Author Topic: Wheels Thread  (Read 129016 times)

Main

• Rep: -206
Re: Wheels Thread
« Reply #390 on: October 27, 2016, 05:42:48 PM »
I see all you guys talking about 101A or 99 durometers, you guys realize there is nothing as a 101A? It's pure marketing.....
...The A scale does not go up to 101. But that doesn't mean a wheel isn't harder than 100A. They're just saying 101 because the A scale is what has been the standard and they don't feel like using the B scale.

Exactly. Skate some 99a F4's for awhile and then throw on some 101a's and you'll feel a big difference.

heritage

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 62
« Reply #391 on: October 27, 2016, 06:02:25 PM »
OJ insane-a-thane, shitty name/marketing be damned, are my new favorite wheel - just picked up a set of 101a hardlines (park shape, i.e. spit conical/SPF P5 shape/my fav shape). Been skating the ez-edge wheel, which is a traditional 'street' shape, e.g., spit classics, bones V1 - Fast, grippy, slide great and chirp nicely. I like them better than my 99a rictas as they are a lilttle less grippy. They feel great on both rough/smooth street and parks (much like STFs are the same way); they feel right in the middle of ricta and spits to me.

The insane-a-thane is a totally different formula than the slow ass regular OJ thane; night and day difference. I've seen more and more insane a thanes at my park which is usually indy/ace/bones/spit.

Autobahn - too grippy for me, tho the 100a formula is quite nice on a thin wheel

Autobahn Brezinski Union wheel is my current favorite. Nice thin shape and says it's the same 100 duro as they use on their other wheels but it doesn't feel like it to me. Slides are easier and they feel faster.

To the OJ point, couldn't agree more. The Insane-a-thane is all around superior to their original formula. I don't know why they just don't make all their wheels with the Insane formula bc it's not even close. I had some Dela's in original and they felt gummy.

Gay Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -383
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #392 on: October 27, 2016, 06:12:01 PM »
Ricta 99a (everything but naturals which are 101, and the one pro wheel at 98...talk about splitting hairs there) -� grippy and fast. Much faster than spits (any shape, any duro).

F4s feel great, like mentioned in another post, they feel like old school urethane, which is awesome but I find them slower (in parks) than say an STF or Ricta and just wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiide. I've tried just about all shapes and duro combos except full conical 99a, which I assume to be akin to skating on apples, slow and mushy. The duros seem much too soft.

OJ insane-a-thane, shitty name/marketing be damned, are my new favorite wheel - just picked up a set of 101a hardlines (park shape, i.e. spit conical/SPF P5 shape/my fav shape). Been skating the ez-edge wheel, which is a traditional 'street' shape, e.g., spit classics, bones V1 - Fast, grippy, slide great and chirp nicely. I like them better than my 99a rictas as they are a lilttle less grippy. They feel great on both rough/smooth street and parks (much like STFs are the same way); they feel right in the middle of ricta and spits to me.

The insane-a-thane is a totally different formula than the slow ass regular OJ thane; night and day difference. I've seen more and more insane a thanes at my park which is usually indy/ace/bones/spit.

SPFs are fast and hard but too slick for me since I tend to go fast and slide out. Same with STFs

Autobahn - too grippy for me, tho the 100a formula is quite nice on a thin wheel

The comment about colored than is on point, any colored wheel I've ever skated has always felt different; in the case of colored STFs, they felt better.

They all flat spot, just figure out what you need: do you slide all your tricks that extra 45? Rerverts? Blunt slides? ledge shit? Get a slidey wheel...just drops and rails? Find a shape that locks in and feels good.

NOICE! I've got 99 radial slims sitting on ice and now your review of 99 F4s plus the bearing story the other day is getting me worried :o I'm sure they'll be fine!

PFC you want HARD street wheels? these should be your go to. At 37 years of age PFCs tend to rattle my teeth a bit too much but if Leo Valls has trouble flat spotting them then you know you're pretty much set! Shapes feel like classic spitty shapes, nothing too out there. Also won't turn that shitty yellow colour even after a year or two
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 06:33:35 PM by Gay Imp Sausage Metal »

"This is untrue, my client has not been attacked in every country" #yearoftheeagle

Xen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 7
« Reply #393 on: October 27, 2016, 06:23:45 PM »
I've never had bearing seat issues except for a bad pour on some satoris. Not sure what the spitfire bearing seat thing is - even looking at the diagram, I couldn't figure out what the issue was as it looked normal to me?

Spitfire F4s are awesome, just not hard enough for me, even the 101s.

Gummy is for sure the right word for the 'other OJ formula, Heritage...

I picked up a set of OJs,The Classy Smoke Delatorre Wheels, 53mm, Side Cut Profile (bad ass shape) and they were the slowest thing I've ridden, probably good for shitty streets tho, or ditches...SLOWEST urethane ever:

https://www.nativeskatestore.co.uk/skateboards-c7/skateboard-wheels-c8/oj-wheels-classy-smoke-delatorre-101a-skateboard-wheels-53mm-p24500

My guess is, NHS has a ton of poured wheels sitting around and screen them as they need them to use theme up. I'd imagine some duded like the slower thane, Rowely/Jesse ride that shit.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 06:26:08 PM by Xen »

N.L.

« Reply #394 on: October 27, 2016, 09:25:41 PM »

except full conical 99a, which I assume to be akin to skating on apples, slow and mushy. The duros seem much too soft

Funny you should mention that. I'm on some worn down F4 99a 56mm Conical Fulls right now and I can't get over how fast they feel. Skated Burnside the other day and had more speed than I knew what to do with...

Its going to take one hell of a wheel to get me off F4s. Personal fav shapes are Classics and Radials. Love both the 99a and 101as but find the 99a a bit more versatile for my tastes....

Jake From State Farm

« Reply #395 on: October 27, 2016, 09:56:04 PM »

except full conical 99a, which I assume to be akin to skating on apples, slow and mushy. The duros seem much too soft

Funny you should mention that. I'm on some worn down F4 99a 56mm Conical Fulls right now and I can't get over how fast they feel. Skated Burnside the other day and had more speed than I knew what to do with...

Its going to take one hell of a wheel to get me off F4s. Personal fav shapes are Classics and Radials. Love both the 99a and 101as but find the 99a a bit more versatile for my tastes....

Same. I skate slappy curbs and smooth parks and these things are still going after what I think to be a few years. They're a Lance Mountain wheel from a while ago. Really fast, durable wheels.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #396 on: October 28, 2016, 11:52:58 AM »
I like my wheels as hard as they make them. I'm going with these next.

https://goo.gl/photos/UMGFGQLQu8RYzBhN6

For some fucking reason I can't embed images anymore...
« Last Edit: October 28, 2016, 03:59:49 PM by Xen »

Zimmer

• Rep: -9
« Reply #397 on: October 28, 2016, 08:05:31 PM »
I like my wheels as hard as they make them. I'm going with these next.

https://goo.gl/photos/UMGFGQLQu8RYzBhN6

For some fucking reason I can't embed images anymore...

Yup, those rictas should suit you just fine!

Main

« Reply #398 on: October 28, 2016, 08:08:51 PM »
Ricta "Rocks" Formula

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #399 on: October 29, 2016, 12:14:46 PM »

Main

« Reply #400 on: October 29, 2016, 12:54:19 PM »
Well I'll be a shit covered dick...

NowhereInLife

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 6
« Reply #401 on: October 29, 2016, 01:20:46 PM »
For me it's a process of trying all kinds of wheels then going back to STFs (V5).  They're simply the fastest on asphalt and actual streets and I cruise around a lot.  I did pick up some ricta natural 101's because of this thread and a good memory from 15 years ago regarding some rictas.  The sheer whiteness triggered an ocd so on a whim i threw them in some hot black coffee for like 15 minutes.  5 probably would have sufficed.  They look a bit like new F4s and smell great.  But it'll be a minute as i just set up some new bones.

Main

« Reply #402 on: October 29, 2016, 01:43:16 PM »
I definitely know what you mean about wheels smelling good. That's actually the most important factor for me. Some shops use air fresheners and it gives the wheels a natural scent of the room. Some other skate shops are old and musty so I take my new wheels home and give them a nice spritz of lavender. Nice calming effect when I pick up my board and it wafts into my nostrils.

danjtony

• Rep: -4
« Reply #403 on: October 29, 2016, 08:42:23 PM »
I been digging the insane-a-thanes a lot. They remind me of spit classics--with more of a squeeky/grippy slide to them. They white as fuck too.

Been on em for about two months now. No issues with flat-spotting or bearing seats. Just kind of bummed that one of the wheels got a huge chip like the third time I skated em.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 666
« Reply #404 on: October 29, 2016, 09:56:17 PM »

We used to change them to fucks.....

rob

• Rep: -87
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #405 on: October 29, 2016, 10:43:43 PM »
For me it's a process of trying all kinds of wheels then going back to STFs (V5).  They're simply the fastest on asphalt and actual streets and I cruise around a lot.  I did pick up some ricta natural 101's because of this thread and a good memory from 15 years ago regarding some rictas.  The sheer whiteness triggered an ocd so on a whim i threw them in some hot black coffee for like 15 minutes.  5 probably would have sufficed.  They look a bit like new F4s and smell great.  But it'll be a minute as i just set up some new bones.

oooo i cant wait to hear your feedabck man, cause i also just slapped on some stf v5s and i love bones stf for everything they are but i love spit classics too and wanna see which one suits better for me but have never had the guts to try other wheels like ricta, i got a set of ojś from a friend in a classic shape and 99a  but they werent much but a slower more durable spit classic basically. i love spit classics cause they rebound/bounce/are soft on impact and how grippy they are but stf are just like, street wheels on crack. grippy but slidy but not too slidy
yes

20matar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
  • All we like to listen to is Barry Manilow.
« Reply #406 on: October 30, 2016, 01:33:39 PM »
What do you guys have to say about Spitfire F1s? Are they really good, just OK, or somewhere in between? Better than Bones STF? I could get a set of them for an acceptable price...

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -85
« Reply #407 on: October 30, 2016, 02:08:36 PM »
What do you guys have to say about Spitfire F1s? Are they really good, just OK, or somewhere in between? Better than Bones STF? I could get a set of them for an acceptable price...

They've got to be pretty old, so idk man.
you never know about pre-cum 

Jordick

• Rep: 16
« Reply #408 on: October 30, 2016, 02:34:01 PM »
I'd say they're in between good and ok. Really don't like bones, but those would hold up better than the f1's. I'd still go with the f1's.
You think he just rolled out of bed and b/s 360 mannied the roselyn banks?

20matar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
  • All we like to listen to is Barry Manilow.
« Reply #409 on: October 30, 2016, 03:13:58 PM »
Blergh, lost the ones I really wanted... 53mm. There's a 52mm set, but I'm guessing that I should just pass. Not because of a single milimeter, but because I'll try to get family to bring me some of the good stuff from the US next year. I'd rather save up and make a nice purchase. Like a set of Formula Fours!

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #410 on: October 30, 2016, 09:57:57 PM »

Honestly I think F1s are just classic Thane with a marketing. They feel identical.

rob

• Rep: -87
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #411 on: October 31, 2016, 01:07:59 AM »

Honestly I think F1s are just classic Thane with a marketing. They feel identical.

sorry but i would have to disagree, F1 are hard, like hard with rattling when you hit rough streets and theres no absorbing the rebound just taking it.

classics are responsive and grippy and take a moment to slide but that softer street wheel feel is nice, the rough streets are somewhat absorbed but in the end formula fours and stfs just handle it all best
yes

Esmith5488

• Rep: -1
« Reply #412 on: November 02, 2016, 01:34:49 PM »
was talking about ricta today and i brought up the fact that B.A rode for them and my friend didnt believe me. 

chillclinton87

• Rep: -128
« Reply #413 on: November 03, 2016, 09:04:08 AM »
was talking about ricta today and i brought up the fact that B.A rode for them and my friend didnt believe me. 

wow i did not remember that  :o

but didn't heath and BA ride for monster trucks too?

this rather be in the "forgotten sponsors" thread

Upgrayedd

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 435
  • Fuck Tom Knox
« Reply #414 on: November 10, 2016, 05:58:29 AM »
Just got some of the 54mm Schmitty Ojs wheels. I think they're 87a. Nothing fancy, it's a good soft wheel if you're not into the long shape like the OJ hot juice. 

Slap Gravitational Waveboarding Magazine:
"We can't do it yet, but when we can it'll be sick."
-grim

TwisT

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -12
« Reply #415 on: November 10, 2016, 07:13:18 AM »
Just went back to my second pair Ricta Speed Rings after messing around with some bones SPF for while.

They are noticeably faster than any other wheel I've ridden. I still have the same indy black bearings and the difference is crazy. They feel harder than other wheels, almost plastic like, but that could be because they are still newish. They have a strong smack sound when you hit the ground, almost like they don't absorb anything. They are super slick, so if your hop in a bowl or park, you're gonna have to remember to compensate in those corners. If you like you slide you're in luck.

I'm riding 53s. they are slightly slimmer than other bones, spit, pig and OJ. Autobahn makes the slimmest I've seen in person recently.

if you want the fastest wheel, Ricta's are great.

bbk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 91
  • Dopeness
« Reply #416 on: November 10, 2016, 01:26:17 PM »
Anyone know what's up with Ricta changing from 81b to 98-99a?

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 47
« Reply #417 on: November 10, 2016, 02:11:42 PM »
Anyone know what's up with Ricta changing from 81b to 98-99a?
Not sure but my guess is marketing
Everyone uses the a system and b isn't as easy to translate because, people see a smaller number and misinterpret them as soft wheels
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

GinosGroceries

• Rep: 120
« Reply #418 on: November 10, 2016, 11:47:14 PM »
Are there any tablet shaped wheels out now other than the Bones V2?
"I'm not used to skateboarding, but I wish I can do it. I swear I want to be able to do it."

Phillip Flathead

• Rep: -7
« Reply #419 on: November 12, 2016, 08:14:01 AM »
Are there any tablet shaped wheels out now other than the Bones V2?
Spitfire makes f4 99 and 101 in a radial slum that is pretty similar