Author Topic: Wheels Thread  (Read 777685 times)

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 938
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
Re: Wheels Thread
« Reply #420 on: November 23, 2016, 12:15:09 AM »
OJ Insane a thane. Love them. Wish they were a tad bit thinner but fuck it. Skated both ez edge and hardline and prefer the hardline shape as it's close to bones STF V5/SPF P5 shape.

I find F4s slow in PARKS, 99 or 101, doesn't matter - 99a Rictas are faster than F4s. Yes, F4s feel like 'classic' urethane, i.e. gummy. Not a bad thing, especially on street; regular 101 OJs feel like spit 99s to me (NOT insane a thane formula).

j....soy.....

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #421 on: November 23, 2016, 11:22:03 PM »
SPF is hard and sticky......

heritage

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 98
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #422 on: November 24, 2016, 10:00:45 AM »
Rob - I am partial to Autobahn and I've tried everything. Grip to slide is about 60/40 without feeling slow or gummy. I don't know what shape you prefer but Autobahn has a lot to choose from. I flip back and forth between the 52 slim shape and 52 Torus shape.

OJ Insane a Thane is also a good choice. I bought those Rojo 52 on an impulse an they were great. Was surprised.

Wayward makes great stuff too but they're a little more expensive.

SML has been hit and miss for me.

danjtony

• Rep: -4
« Reply #423 on: November 24, 2016, 08:50:08 PM »
I just can't imagine not skating formula fours at this point. Every other wheel I've tried has been way worse in comparison, OJ'S especially. The 99du conical full shape are the grippiest set I've had yet had generous slide when needed

Are the conical full noticeably grippier than the f4 classics? I've been riding a set(99a) on and off and they tend to slip out on tranny or even tight carves on smooth sidewalks. I would like a little squeekier slide too. I've tried OJ Insane-a-thane and some SPFs recently, but I like the f4 better as an all around wheel (shit feels good on rougher spots). 

N.L.

« Reply #424 on: November 24, 2016, 09:41:06 PM »
Expand Quote
I just can't imagine not skating formula fours at this point. Every other wheel I've tried has been way worse in comparison, OJ'S especially. The 99du conical full shape are the grippiest set I've had yet had generous slide when needed
[close]

Are the conical full noticeably grippier than the f4 classics? I've been riding a set(99a) on and off and they tend to slip out on tranny or even tight carves on smooth sidewalks. I would like a little squeekier slide too. I've tried OJ Insane-a-thane and some SPFs recently, but I like the f4 better as an all around wheel (shit feels good on rougher spots). 

Conical Fulls feel more secure navigating smooth transitional curves, for sure.

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #425 on: November 25, 2016, 08:55:59 PM »
Rob - I am partial to Autobahn and I've tried everything. Grip to slide is about 60/40 without feeling slow or gummy. I don't know what shape you prefer but Autobahn has a lot to choose from. I flip back and forth between the 52 slim shape and 52 Torus shape.

OJ Insane a Thane is also a good choice. I bought those Rojo 52 on an impulse an they were great. Was surprised.

aha dang, i guess ill buy a set of autobanh since theyre cheap to try.

really oj insane a thane are legit? how close to stf would they be in grip and slide though?

ive been thinking sml since james craig says most of the formula are like stf except the i think austin gillete formula thats more like a spitfire classic, ive stepped on some sml before and they were alright. felt proper. like a louder grippier stf.

thankyou so much for the reply everyone, especially you heritage
yes

heritage

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 98
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #426 on: November 26, 2016, 11:48:26 AM »
Rob - no problem at all my man. What size do you skate? I can send you a set of 52 to try. I may even have 53 laying around.  Just hit me with a PM if you want a set without laying out any cash.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #427 on: November 26, 2016, 05:09:49 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

really oj insane a thane are legit? how close to stf would they be in grip and slide though?

ive been thinking sml since james craig says most of the formula are like stf except the i think austin gillete formula thats more like a spitfire classic, ive stepped on some sml before and they were alright. felt proper. like a louder grippier stf.

I wanted to like my .sml wheels as I am partial to cored wheels, they were just too grippy for me (slim shape).

OJ insanes are legit once you get used to them. Fast, hard, loud, grippy AND slidey, they're just a bit chalky at first. I'd say they are a tad grippier than STFs and by proxy not as slidey/slippery.

I've sets of all sorts of shit around, AB/spit/bones/ricta/oj and rotate them in and out weekly depending on park or street and what I feel like trying and where. Everytime I setup STFs I cannot fathom why people skate them other than them being really slippery and slidey for ledge stuff as they feel slow compared to everything else I have.

yourfuckingdad

• Rep: -7
« Reply #428 on: November 26, 2016, 10:24:50 PM »
pro / cons of the round wheels vs the straight cut ones?

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #429 on: November 27, 2016, 04:10:23 AM »
Rob - no problem at all my man. What size do you skate? I can send you a set of 52 to try. I may even have 53 laying around.  Just hit me with a PM if you want a set without laying out any cash.

Ohhhhh definitely, thank you so much my dude. Super grateful :D  ;D

Pm'ing now
yes

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #430 on: November 29, 2016, 02:30:50 AM »
I sent a pm but idk if you got it yet
yes

Andmoreagain

• Rep: 51
« Reply #431 on: November 29, 2016, 07:19:36 AM »

Looks like Santa Cruz stopped making the 54mm Slime Balls, which was my fav wheel. Anyone got recommendations for 97a wheels in the 54-57mm range? Preferably bright green cus green wheels are faster....

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #432 on: November 29, 2016, 09:41:05 AM »

Looks like Santa Cruz stopped making the 54mm Slime Balls, which was my fav wheel. Anyone got recommendations for 97a wheels in the 54-57mm range? Preferably bright green cus green wheels are faster....

How about the new OJ Elite Mini Combos? Saw them on Social Media recently, not sure if the shape is the same and only 95a...not exact but close!

Plenty of the purple and or green 97a creature wheels out there still.

calvinsdream

« Reply #433 on: November 29, 2016, 01:50:32 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yes, although I don't know if I would say "grippier" - they're just more stable, especially on transition. I was riding fulls for so long that classics feel like stilts on tranny - like, I grip the same, it just takes very little effort to move the wheel out of place.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #434 on: November 29, 2016, 02:27:33 PM »
The magic of surface area!

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #435 on: November 29, 2016, 08:08:21 PM »
I'll just leave this here:
http://www.physlink.com/education/askexperts/ae140.cfm

Although a larger area of contact between two surfaces would create a larger source of frictional forces, it also reduces the pressure between the two surfaces for a given force holding them together. Since pressure equals force divided by the area of contact, it works out that the increase in friction generating area is exactly offset by the reduction in pressure; the resulting frictional forces, then, are dependent only on the frictional coefficient of the materials and the FORCE holding them together.

If you were to increase the force as you increased the area to keep PRESSURE the same, then increasing the area WOULD increase the frictional force between the two surfaces.

:-X

Turtle Boy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 169
« Reply #436 on: November 30, 2016, 07:54:26 AM »

Expand Quote
Although a larger area of contact between two surfaces would create a larger source of frictional forces, it also reduces the pressure between the two surfaces for a given force holding them together. Since pressure equals force divided by the area of contact, it works out that the increase in friction generating area is exactly offset by the reduction in pressure; the resulting frictional forces, then, are dependent only on the frictional coefficient of the materials and the FORCE holding them together.

If you were to increase the force as you increased the area to keep PRESSURE the same, then increasing the area WOULD increase the frictional force between the two surfaces.
[close]

Couldn't the perception of higher "grippyness" or friction in wider wheels comes from the fact that a wider wheel is generally heavier (which increases the initial force?) than a slimmer wheel (lighter -> less force?).
My physics class are like then year behind me, but shouldn't the added weight of the wider wheel have some impact on the friction force?

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #437 on: November 30, 2016, 08:29:56 AM »
Expand Quote

Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
Couldn't the perception of higher "grippyness" or friction in wider wheels comes from the fact that a wider wheel is generally heavier (which increases the initial force?) than a slimmer wheel (lighter -> less force?).
My physics class are like then year behind me, but shouldn't the added weight of the wider wheel have some impact on the friction force?

Well, the weight difference is very small, when you take into account all the weight of the skateboard and the rider on top of it.

Just weighed some 54 mm cruiser wheels, other conical, other classic shape. Weight difference was 10 grams per wheel (71g and 61g). My setup as a whole is around 2400 grams, so the added weight from a conical shaped wheel for me would be around 1.7% and that's only taking into account the weight of the setup, not your weight at all. So for example for myself, with powerslides on flat, the weight difference with the conical wheels would be about 0,043% if i count that i weigh 90 kg with my skate gear on, which in reality is a bit of a low estimate right now sadly.

But even if you have all light gear and weigh much less yourself, the difference is really fucking small. I'd argue it's absolutely negligible. I see the wheel shape (in non sharp edged wheels) physically affecting locking into grinds more than anything else. Mentally though, the effect can be huge and that is like 95% of skating anyway.  :)

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 581
« Reply #438 on: November 30, 2016, 10:17:33 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I wanted to like my .sml wheels as I am partial to cored wheels, they were just too grippy for me (slim shape).

OJ insanes are legit once you get used to them. Fast, hard, loud, grippy AND slidey, they're just a bit chalky at first. I'd say they are a tad grippier than STFs and by proxy not as slidey/slippery.

I've sets of all sorts of shit around, AB/spit/bones/ricta/oj and rotate them in and out weekly depending on park or street and what I feel like trying and where. Everytime I setup STFs I cannot fathom why people skate them other than them being really slippery and slidey for ledge stuff as they feel slow compared to everything else I have.

Went from F4 Classic 52mm 99a to OJ Insane 54mm 101a and the slide is super easy at first and once you wear them down it becomes difficult to slide because they grip a bit. Grip definitely kicks in maybe .5mm down the wheel or something
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

N.L.

« Reply #439 on: November 30, 2016, 12:28:13 PM »
George Powell had a convincing argument about how wider wheels can actually be more slippery. It think he was arguing that they hold their grip a bit longer but once they start sliding its less controlled... too much science for me... I like Classics and Radials.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2016, 10:25:38 PM by N.L. »

Zimmer

• Rep: -9
« Reply #440 on: November 30, 2016, 08:39:03 PM »
I keep it pretty simple, If I wanna slide and be all squirrley, I'll ride classics. If I wanna plow through stuff, I'll ride conical fulls.

Esquivel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 214
« Reply #441 on: December 01, 2016, 03:37:59 AM »
I understand this is a discussion about wheel grip but since people are talking about overall influence of a wider wheel i would like to mention rolling friction affecting speed and how  this would vary from wheel to wheel (different widths = different rolling friction = different speed). Also how wheel width could not only affect speed but also the whole inertia of a skateboard, especially when the board is flippin
Expand Quote
And people say weed makes you creative
[close]
Good weed does - these broke ass skateboard designers smokin spice

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #442 on: December 05, 2016, 07:06:03 PM »
hey guys im back, soooooo i got hooked up a brand new set of ojś and was really psyched.

here are my initial thoughts on OJ insane a thanes hardline 101:

theyre damp, like urethane-y real skate wheels feeling so kinda like formula fours and kinda not like what you guys think of bones/being plastic but at the same time theyre hard. like they feel soft on the surface but once you roll you can tell theyre sturdy and hard to take the beating of todays skate needs/powerslides/wallrides/terrain but to really kinda break it down, theyre the feeling between a bones stf and formula four. they roll and feel good like a soft urethane street wheel but at the same time you can tell theyre hard.

con though that sadly hold any ojś back harshly, theyre slow. idk what it is but i had a set of ojś original 99a and they were amazing, i love how they gave me such nice street wheel grippiness so i was super confident on not sliding out landing anything and having total control but like i said, SLOW like annoys you after a long cruise slow. bones stf are the fastest i felt so far, in my opinion faster than formula fours cause the bones are made from urethane that suppose to handle streets in the tech way, while formula fours just feel like theyre made to plow through terrain and give you ultimate slide and control like your some hesh skater beating the streets up

i still like the ojś and will keep riding them cause theyre still new and i like how they feel like a ole classic street wheel but with a little oomph in the formula to keep up with this generation of powersliders and all terrain rippers. i also love the shape because theyre like a bones v5 but smoother and more rounded.

i got these

i also just got a used but still good set of ricta NRGś so ill most likely be back to tell you guys how those are, i really want and will see if this fastest urethane thing is gimmick or truth ;D
yes

N.L.

« Reply #443 on: December 05, 2016, 07:16:55 PM »
bones stf are the fastest i felt so far, in my opinion faster than formula fours cause the bones are made from urethane that suppose to handle streets in the tech way, while formula fours just feel like theyre made to plow through terrain and give you ultimate slide and control like your some hesh skater beating the streets up

i like that description.

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #444 on: December 05, 2016, 07:32:38 PM »
Expand Quote
bones stf are the fastest i felt so far, in my opinion faster than formula fours cause the bones are made from urethane that suppose to handle streets in the tech way, while formula fours just feel like theyre made to plow through terrain and give you ultimate slide and control like your some hesh skater beating the streets up

[close]

i like that description.

haha thank you sir ;)
yes

ducky darnsworth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -113
  • personal text
« Reply #445 on: December 05, 2016, 08:24:58 PM »
well i just bought some ricta sparx wheels, never tried ricta so this should be interesting

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #446 on: December 06, 2016, 09:19:15 PM »
im back again already and all i have to say about RICTA NRG 81b wheels,

theyre not all that really, theyre super hard, like truly really 81b hard. they arent that fast. they roll an okay distance but overall.

theyre hard and dont slide that easy. they screech loud though when you slide.

so ima stick to

1.Bones Stf
2.OJ insane a thane
3.Formula four radials
4.i dont know yet but the search for the next best wheel continues, kinda interested in spitfire soft Dś

kinda wanna see what sml is like but for now ima ride these Ojś cause i like how they feel and roll

not quality like bones stf but close enough that i can handle.
yes

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #447 on: December 07, 2016, 04:22:01 AM »
Also I just realized something, idk if it was mentioned but anyone know anything about who makes deck brand wheels?

Like who makes the wheels for baker boys/baker and deathwish wheels ? And who makes the wheels for crailtap/girl and chocolate wheels?

Cause I remember I loved how smooth and grippy these old set of girl wheels I had were but they were almost too grippy and the shape was kinda cool but too thin
yes

Rick Sanchez

« Reply #448 on: December 07, 2016, 04:31:06 AM »
anyone got any feedback on wayward wheels?

Zimmer

• Rep: -9
« Reply #449 on: December 11, 2016, 08:55:05 AM »
I've heard good things about those WW wheels, I wish I didn't have so many sets of F4's to get through  ???

Also, is it just me.. or do smaller wheels feel softer than bigger wheels in the same duro? Like a slim 54mm 99 compared to a big wide 58mm 99