Author Topic: Wheels Thread  (Read 777551 times)

Vexed and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

pointandclick

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 243
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Wheels Thread
« Reply #480 on: January 08, 2017, 08:35:40 PM »

anyone see this crupie multicultural wheel nonsense? i guess people leaving gold and or not on a wheel company found this strange program to ride for.

BMCsteve

« Reply #481 on: January 08, 2017, 08:39:30 PM »
I've been skating the regular (non-slim) radial shape for the last couple weeks and I think they're my new favorite wheel.  Everything I love about the slims but with a little more grip. 

They've been great in a slippery park, on the street, carving in bowls and hitting curbs.  I can't find a single thing to complain about

tangar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 64
  • THINK LESS
« Reply #482 on: January 08, 2017, 09:58:40 PM »
Nobody skated those lame ass Mike V wheels, stop frontin.
Stefan Attardo and Stacy Lowry did
Man the long board truck thing killed indy for me. I was willing to set aside the racism, but long boarding, gtfo... - DH

thebacker

« Reply #483 on: January 08, 2017, 10:26:38 PM »
Just bought the OG Wide version of these https://www.smlwheels.com/shop/grocery-bag-53mm-ag-formula

Will update after i skate them for a bit

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 517
« Reply #484 on: January 09, 2017, 01:53:44 AM »
Been skating 53mm Ricta NRGs for about a month now. Quite good, I suspect the word on the street that they're a bit faster may be true, might just be placebo though. Slide really nice on ledges, better than 101 f4s imo, similar to stfs without being too slippery like stfs or 101 f4s on most street surfaces.

On certain types of ground they grip a little bit too much for powerslides and slide a bit funny, not sure why this is. They're perfect for most surfaces though.

Managed to flatspot it slightly on a noseblunt on a ledge, not a dealbreaker but can definitely feel it a little on skatepark ground, how do you get rid of minor flatspots like this? Hasn't gone away by itself just yet.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 01:55:57 AM by tzhangdox »

Opoin

• Rep: 1
« Reply #485 on: January 09, 2017, 08:32:09 AM »
Been skating 53mm Ricta NRGs for about a month now. Quite good, I suspect the word on the street that they're a bit faster may be true, might just be placebo though. Slide really nice on ledges, better than 101 f4s imo, similar to stfs without being too slippery like stfs or 101 f4s on most street surfaces.

On certain types of ground they grip a little bit too much for powerslides and slide a bit funny, not sure why this is. They're perfect for most surfaces though.

Managed to flatspot it slightly on a noseblunt on a ledge, not a dealbreaker but can definitely feel it a little on skatepark ground, how do you get rid of minor flatspots like this? Hasn't gone away by itself just yet.

You have to do subsequent noseblunts of exactly the same length around the entire circumference of the wheel that isn't flatspotted.

Either that or you just ride it out of the wheel if it isn't that big.

Esquivel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 214
« Reply #486 on: January 09, 2017, 09:36:08 AM »
powerslide the fuck out of it
Expand Quote
And people say weed makes you creative
[close]
Good weed does - these broke ass skateboard designers smokin spice

heritage

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 98
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #487 on: January 09, 2017, 11:18:08 AM »

I think I bought the Cleveland joints after seeing a Svitak part.

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 581
« Reply #488 on: January 09, 2017, 12:00:44 PM »
I would guess that all of us have made do with shitty wheels at some point. Picking and choosing wheels is a luxury as far as I'm concerned. I might not be rich, but being able to always have my wheels on point is a small victory.

You kinda just adapt. I have the 101a Oj Insane formula and came from 99a Classic f4s. At first they slid like crazy and I loved it, then I started realizing they felt slow. They didn't feel as fast and they started requiring a little extra for slides.
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

bluntstofakie

• Rep: -4
« Reply #489 on: January 09, 2017, 12:41:37 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
What's up with the shitty cores on the spitfire 80hd chargers making them spin like shit? These things are terrible.
[close]

What's the Slap consensus on the cruiser wheel?

[close]
OJs, Juice or Keyframes, some people swear by clouds here but I love my OJs
I got some 57mm 78a clouds to replace my worn down keyframes, and I'm not that siked on them. They're really fast on smooth ground, but I rarely encounter smooth ground when I'm just cruising.  I feel like the keyframes were faster on the rough stuff. I'm curious about those powell g slides though.
was that switch ollie in a turban at 1:18 ?.....trend watch

Cherb

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -19
« Reply #490 on: January 09, 2017, 03:55:11 PM »

I got some 57mm 78a clouds to replace my worn down keyframes, and I'm not that siked on them. They're really fast on smooth ground, but I rarely encounter smooth ground when I'm just cruising.  I feel like the keyframes were faster on the rough stuff. I'm curious about those powell g slides though.
I'm seriously contemplating trying the G slides as my next cruiser wheel. I love my key frames but they're getting pretty worn down.

rathernotwalk

« Reply #491 on: January 09, 2017, 06:00:16 PM »
Anyone try Rain Skates or Alta
Looking for something off the beaten path at this point...

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 937
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #492 on: January 09, 2017, 09:55:12 PM »

I've ridden rainskates a while back, great wheels, Creative Urethane (if I recall), shapes are lacking.

If Alta are good enough for Barros, they're good enough for anyone reading this ;)

Really depends on what you are skating.

MOE SYZLAK

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 800
  • "I never got to taste cantaloupe"
    • Cassette Skate Shop avatar image
« Reply #493 on: January 09, 2017, 11:16:02 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I think I bought the Cleveland joints after seeing a Svitak part.
I always skated the rotten apples ones maybe a few Bartie models as well
if you flatspotted them they would send you a set for free if you sent the flat ones back
I only ever flatspotted a couple of sets. They were great wheels.

rathernotwalk

« Reply #494 on: January 10, 2017, 03:55:08 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I've ridden rainskates a while back, great wheels, Creative Urethane (if I recall), shapes are lacking.

If Alta are good enough for Barros, they're good enough for anyone reading this ;)

Really depends on what you are skating.

I wish the Alta's were a bit bigger but yeah pretty sure Barros could have any wheel he wanted and probably still kill it with wooden ones

I mostly just skate transition but this will be for my smaller setup that I would be more likely to actually take to the streets with

N.L.

« Reply #495 on: January 11, 2017, 03:57:12 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
What's up with the shitty cores on the spitfire 80hd chargers making them spin like shit? These things are terrible.
[close]

What's the Slap consensus on the cruiser wheel?

[close]
OJs, Juice or Keyframes, some people swear by clouds here but I love my OJs
[close]

86a clouds.... Fast. durable. Perfect compromise between a spongey cruiser wheel and regular street wheel. Just wish they'd do them in colours...

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #496 on: January 11, 2017, 05:22:54 PM »
Finally got to roll around on the Waywards today, I was right. Soft feeling 101s, like OJs (regular) and F4s, they slide nice, good chirp but in park they were slow, on regular street (that's rough as fuck on OJ insane, SPF, STF and 99a Rictas) these things felt great; I'd skate them if I was looking for a wheel to handle spotty terrain, even over F4s.

Zimmer

• Rep: -9
« Reply #497 on: January 11, 2017, 06:20:08 PM »
Finally got to roll around on the Waywards today, I was right. Soft feeling 101s, like OJs (regular) and F4s, they slide nice, good chirp but in park they were slow, on regular street (that's rough as fuck on OJ insane, SPF, STF and 99a Rictas) these things felt great; I'd skate them if I was looking for a wheel to handle spotty terrain, even over F4s.

Awesome 8)

Put wayward on the list.

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #498 on: January 12, 2017, 06:54:28 AM »
Finally got around to setting up some all black STFs that I've had for a while now that I've just been keeping on standby.
After skating on some badly flatspotted pigs for the longest time, I completely forgot what it feels like to actually go fast with only a few pushes. Feels good.

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 157
« Reply #499 on: January 16, 2017, 01:55:26 AM »
Finally got around to setting up some all black STFs that I've had for a while now that I've just been keeping on standby.
After skating on some badly flatspotted pigs for the longest time, I completely forgot what it feels like to actually go fast with only a few pushes. Feels good.

I prefer colored stf's over white ones, i think they are just a little bit faster and slide better.
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #500 on: January 16, 2017, 02:25:22 AM »
Quote from: Krooked antihero  link=topic=82118.msg2597156#msg2597156 date=1484560526
Expand Quote
[close]

I prefer colored stf's over white ones, i think they are just a little bit faster and slide better.

Really?? I keep hearing stuff about colored stf's but I don't wanna believe it cause I'm on some classic white bones stf and they're everything I like, fast, smooth, grippy, slides. But now you guys got me thinking to invest in some colored ones...
yes

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #501 on: January 16, 2017, 08:26:34 AM »
Quote from: Krooked antihero  link=topic=82118.msg2597156#msg2597156 date=1484560526
Expand Quote
[close]

I've always preferred colored STFs/SPFs, they just feel better to me (and a few people I know that have skated them).

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 581
« Reply #502 on: January 16, 2017, 04:17:11 PM »
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

ducky darnsworth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -113
  • personal text
« Reply #503 on: January 16, 2017, 06:11:26 PM »

heritage

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 98
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #504 on: January 16, 2017, 06:48:32 PM »
should i try these autobahns?
http://www.tactics.com/autobahn/evolution-ab-s-skateboard-wheels/white-101a

Ducky - these are AB price point wheels but truthfully I think they slide a little bit better than some of their premium stuff. That can be good or bad, more sliding out from tricks and a little more unpredictable at times. They are also loud as hell and on the streets they will rattle your teeth out.

ducky darnsworth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -113
  • personal text
« Reply #505 on: January 16, 2017, 08:04:19 PM »

Ducky - these are AB price point wheels but truthfully I think they slide a little bit better than some of their premium stuff. That can be good or bad, more sliding out from tricks and a little more unpredictable at times. They are also loud as hell and on the streets they will rattle your teeth out.
Ok that doesn't sound appealing, but still on the subject of autobahn, would the Torus Ultra 83b wheels be any better?
http://www.skatewarehouse.com/Autobahn_Torus_Ultra_83b_Wheels/descpage-ABT83WH.html

danjtony

• Rep: -4
« Reply #506 on: January 16, 2017, 08:25:58 PM »
Has anyone tried these?
http://socalskateshop.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=72685

Ha, I wanted to ask about these too (was just thinking about it this morning). I'm interested in the 101's though. Love the retro shape, but I'm worried that reg OJ formula will suck (only tried the insane-a-thanes, but I like those a lot).

I think 95a is kind of hit or miss on weather or not they'll be fast. Those would be sick for skating a slippery indoor park though.

Did Santa Cruz stop making 97a Slime Balls in smaller sizes? I can only find the 60mm+ ones now. If I could find those in like 54-56, would be perfect.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #507 on: January 16, 2017, 10:23:28 PM »
Expand Quote

Ha, I wanted to ask about these too (was just thinking about it this morning). I'm interested in the 101's though. Love the retro shape, but I'm worried that reg OJ formula will suck (only tried the insane-a-thanes, but I like those a lot).

I think 95a is kind of hit or miss on weather or not they'll be fast. Those would be sick for skating a slippery indoor park though.

Did Santa Cruz stop making 97a Slime Balls in smaller sizes? I can only find the 60mm+ ones now. If I could find those in like 54-56, would be perfect.

I commented on those in FB when they announced them, NHS responded and they are regular old slo oj thane, not insane a thane.

No more Slimeballs in smaller sizes either.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 09:59:36 AM by Xen »

Elderly Gentleman

• Rep: 4
« Reply #508 on: January 17, 2017, 06:50:42 AM »
I grabbed a set of 53mm Spitfire Hypno swirl 99a wheels (blue).  I had been riding 55mm wheels and wanted to try to size down a little.  I skate parks and mini ramps most of the time (41 year old and not that good).  Even though these are 99a, they don't have much grip.  I almost got a concussion at the park yesterday.  I slipped out making a turn to go down a flat ramp and slammed hard at the bottom.  My head bounced off the pavement (luckily the place requires helmets and I have a good one.)   It freaked the old man out who was monitoring the place (YMCA park) It was a gnarly looking slam I'm sure, but I was okay and got right up.  Luckily it just rang my bell.  I kept skating but after a couple more slip outs, I took those wheels off and went back to my old ones.  They felt good rolling, but they're just too slick!  I think these Hypno's are original formula, not formula 4's.
I was addicted to the Hokey Pokey, but then I turned myself around.

"I'll just use my Zumiez rewards card".

shit_for_brains

« Reply #509 on: January 17, 2017, 07:04:37 AM »
Who else is riding wayward? I'm on the 52 Bledsoe slims and.... I can't tell the difference from my last set of F4 52mm slims.