Author Topic: Wheels Thread  (Read 128143 times)

rob

• Rep: -87
  • Lance Mountain
Re: Wheels Thread
« Reply #540 on: January 23, 2017, 08:23:28 PM »
do most of you guys who prefer formula fours skate parks more than street?

I kinda like the 101's best for both. 99's are good for the rougher streets but I just use 101's everywhere now.. I thought they'd be too slippery for indoor parks but they're fine even where it's too slippery to push properly, I don't know how they do it.

I use the 99A and skate parks almost exclusively

yeah i was wondering cause the thing is i basically skate street exclusively and its all pavement, asphault, sidewalks and such and i just notice bones stf feel much more smoothly than fours, i thought maybe everyone whos really digging fours even after giving stfs a try again only really prefer the fours overall because they do more park skating and very little cruising the rough streets/the fours just feel better in parks

i havent skated a park in months but idk, cant get fours feeling good ever since i noticed how nicely smooth and fast bones stf are on street. and ive tried all the mainstream stuff, almost all formula four shapes in 99a, the conical 101, ricta nrg pro wheels, gold, pig, spitfire classics, oj reg 99a, oj insnae a thane 101, and bones stf. i wanna try those cutlery wheels but hmmm....
yes

Cherb

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -15
« Reply #541 on: January 23, 2017, 09:57:14 PM »
I skate as transportation when there isn't two feet of snow on the ground with 101 f4's and then when I actually skate it's mainly park. I preferred Ricta NRG's when skating on rough streets for sure.

ChuckRamone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 70
« Reply #542 on: January 23, 2017, 11:25:14 PM »
for street cruising, so far my favorites are Bones ATFs. I've tried G-slides and Clouds but both felt too chalky and heavy to me and did not make for a smooth enough ride on really rough spots. anyone who's familiar with the ATFs - what's another good wheel that rides like them?

rob

• Lance Mountain
« Reply #543 on: January 24, 2017, 01:48:39 AM »
for street cruising, so far my favorites are Bones ATFs. I've tried G-slides and Clouds but both felt too chalky and heavy to me and did not make for a smooth enough ride on really rough spots. anyone who's familiar with the ATFs - what's another good wheel that rides like them?

aha i think nothing beats skateone/bones experience and history in skateboard wheels ingenuity, i tried spitfire 80hds, i have some random kryptonics cruiser wheels i found and nothing ive felt on any cruiser was as good as my stolen and lost bones atf, even when i rode them from 54 to 52/51 they were still fast and rolled far, the quality was always consistent, and i rode them in rain several times. oj III are nice but i felt they get slower and over time just start sucking when they shave down and the urethane gets stale.
yes

MOE SYZLAK

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 130
  • "I never got to taste cantaloupe"
    • HI8VHS
« Reply #544 on: January 25, 2017, 12:12:13 AM »
Got some Pusher 54mm conicals 99A and some of the Matt Rodriguez 80B Pusher models.
interested to try the softer formula conical shape, should help with the crusty spots.
Exited to try the Matt Rod's out when those are done.

nigga_please

• Rep: -4
« Reply #545 on: January 25, 2017, 05:09:45 PM »
Just decided to try this new Crupie wheels and i'm fucking impressed. It's been 10 days it's better than the bones STF I had before.
For $28 I got a 52mm Tiago Lemos wheel and I highly recommend.

Alotoflizards

• Rep: 0
« Reply #546 on: January 25, 2017, 05:58:44 PM »
Got some Pusher 54mm conicals 99A and some of the Matt Rodriguez 80B Pusher models.
interested to try the softer formula conical shape, should help with the crusty spots.
Exited to try the Matt Rod's out when those are done.

Youre gonna love em they slide like crazy.. I was wondering if anybody has tried out satori wheels recently? I'm expecting a set of these tomorrow
« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 06:01:45 PM by Alotoflizards »

ducky darnsworth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -137
  • personal text
« Reply #547 on: January 25, 2017, 07:10:07 PM »
my stoner cousin larry gave me some satoris a year ago, they gripped pretty well, slide alright, i liked them

Alotoflizards

• Rep: 0
« Reply #548 on: January 25, 2017, 08:18:08 PM »
my stoner cousin larry gave me some satoris a year ago, they gripped pretty well, slide alright, i liked them

Haha thank you

rob

• Lance Mountain
« Reply #549 on: January 25, 2017, 10:54:19 PM »
Just decided to try this new Crupie wheels and i'm fucking impressed. It's been 10 days it's better than the bones STF I had before.
For $28 I got a 52mm Tiago Lemos wheel and I highly recommend.

interesting...i am strongly considering giving them my monies...

damn you slap!
yes

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 47
« Reply #550 on: January 26, 2017, 01:09:15 PM »
Saw these on the Skatewarehouse site. Apparently Clouds in an ATV style?

http://www.skatewarehouse.com/Ricta_Clouds_Black_92a_Wheels/descpage-RICLBWH.html
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

Zimmer

• Rep: -9
« Reply #551 on: February 10, 2017, 04:40:12 PM »
Has anyone ended up liking STFs and F4s?

I ended up getting some 55mm V4's after I heard from three different people that they smooth out rough streets. All I've done is roll and pop around, but they seem really nice! :o They almost feel like a super hard cruiser wheel (if that makes sense), with a slide thats more "squawky" and takes a tiny bit more effort than a 101 F4.

I never thought I'd say this, but I'm a bones and spits guy. I'm anxious to give these a proper rundown.

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -85
« Reply #552 on: February 10, 2017, 07:46:41 PM »
I just won those Ben raybourn v5s from the bones site giveaway, so we'll see. Hadn't had any for a long time, like 5 years or so, but I remember them rattling my teeth.
you never know about pre-cum 

Zimmer

« Reply #553 on: February 10, 2017, 07:54:33 PM »
I just won those Ben raybourn v5s from the bones site giveaway, so we'll see. Hadn't had any for a long time, like 5 years or so, but I remember them rattling my teeth.

I have a little patch of sidewalk on the side of my house, and with the same deck and trucks the stf's feel kind of softer than 101's. I think it has to do with the rebound.

I'm gonna sound crazy, but you still feel the ground.. The vibrations are just "higher frequency". The STF's vibrate, and F4's rattle. Just my opinion!

Krooked antihero

• Rep: 32
« Reply #554 on: February 11, 2017, 12:04:28 AM »

I ended up getting some 55mm V4's after I heard from three different people that they smooth out rough streets. All I've done is roll and pop around, but they seem really nice! :o They almost feel like a super hard cruiser wheel (if that makes sense), with a slide thats more "squawky" and takes a tiny bit more effort than a 101 F4.

I never thought I'd say this, but I'm a bones and spits guy. I'm anxious to give these a proper rundown.
Me. IMO those two are only proper wheels out there right now, i prefer F4's on street as they slide so easily, and stf's on tranny as i find f4's a bit unpredictable on concrete sometimes.
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

rob

• Lance Mountain
« Reply #555 on: February 11, 2017, 08:32:53 AM »

I have a little patch of sidewalk on the side of my house, and with the same deck and trucks the stf's feel kind of softer than 101's. I think it has to do with the rebound.

I'm gonna sound crazy, but you still feel the ground.. The vibrations are just "higher frequency". The STF's vibrate, and F4's rattle. Just my opinion!

See! This is why I prefer bones stf over formula fours, they're like hard cruiser wheels! They push so fast and smooth but still have some slide so you don't get stuck

They feel so good on concrete

That rattle on f4's throws me off so hard and the slip outs cause they're such slidy wheels
yes

NowhereInLife

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 6
« Reply #556 on: February 11, 2017, 08:46:59 AM »

Only if the F4s are wide like the like kwalks 54 conical fulls I'm on now.  Otherwise there is little else that is as glidey on city asphalt as stf.  The three sets of F4s I'd gotten before (classic, tablet, conical) were quickly switched back to stf as i'm not really tryin to push that much in my decrepitude.  I guess F4th time's the charm har

Zimmer

« Reply #557 on: February 11, 2017, 08:59:02 AM »
I don't think I can choose one over the other, they both have their strong points. STFs absorb the ground, while F4s bounce over it!

F4's do seem like they're slower to push around, but at the same time, if I knew I was going to be bombing a lot of hills.. I'd want to be on F4's. Maybe because thats what I'm used to?

I actually still like the feel of rock hard 101s, sometimes you just need to ride rocks.

thespacewolf

• Rep: -8
« Reply #558 on: March 29, 2017, 04:54:28 PM »
Just got into softer wheels after riding 99a spits for forever.
Went from Ricta Sparx Shockwaves 86a (too soft) to Ricta Clouds 92a (almost perfect)
The problem I have with the clouds is that they're too bouncy and still a tad bit grippy. Has anyone gotten the Spitfire Soft D's? Would going 92 on those be the exactly the same thing as the clouds or should I just go for the 95 Soft D's?

theloniousmonk

• Rep: 5
« Reply #559 on: March 30, 2017, 08:40:13 AM »
Went from Ricta Sparx Shockwaves 86a (too soft) to Ricta Clouds 92a (almost perfect)
The problem I have with the clouds is that they're too bouncy and still a tad bit grippy. Has anyone gotten the Spitfire Soft D's? Would going 92 on those be the exactly the same thing as the clouds or should I just go for the 95 Soft D's?

Never had the spitfires, but have some 95a pig wheels that are fun. In the 90s it seems like there were more options in 95a. Rowley had a 95a ojs wheel a few years ago and baker had one too. If you get the spitfires, post them up here!

20matar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
  • All we like to listen to is Barry Manilow.
« Reply #560 on: March 30, 2017, 10:48:25 AM »

Ricta's, Reddit's number one wheels. Fuck Reddit, by the way.

TwisT

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -14
« Reply #561 on: March 30, 2017, 11:48:57 AM »

I was just on Reddit defending ricta a few weeks ago
Speed rings are great IMO

Cherb

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #562 on: March 30, 2017, 12:37:08 PM »

Rictas are awesome wheels. People just talk shit about them for the sole reason of talking shit. I wish they still made 53mm park crushers.

patrick c.

• Rep: 23
« Reply #563 on: March 30, 2017, 12:39:27 PM »
I've never had the Clouds but I've had a few sets of 92a Soft D's.  Based on what you said I think the 95 Soft D's would work better for you.  The 92a Spits powerslide fine but you need to give tail/bluntslides a little more effort if that makes sense.  I really like them(the 92 Spits) but I can only imagine they'd give you the same problems as the Clouds in regard to excess bounce/grip. 
All you got is today, get out and skate.

heritage

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 62
« Reply #564 on: March 30, 2017, 06:43:23 PM »

Rictas are awesome wheels. People just talk shit about them for the sole reason of talking shit. I wish they still made 53mm park crushers.

BMCSteve hooked me up with a set of Westgate NRG tablet shaped 52, and I love them. No bullshitting. When I run out of my Autobahn stash (which will be in about 12-15 years) I'm skating Ricta wheels.

Cherb

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #565 on: March 30, 2017, 07:34:04 PM »
If they still made 53mm park crushers I would be skating those instead of radial slim F4s all day.

tangar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 62
  • THINK LESS
« Reply #566 on: March 30, 2017, 10:05:36 PM »
I skated some ricta NRGs a while back too and they skated fine. Felt just as good as F4s. Has anyone tried the new ghetto child wheels? I hear creative makes them but any comparison to F4s? Since that's mostly all I've skated recently.
Man the long board truck thing killed indy for me. I was willing to set aside the racism, but long boarding, gtfo... - DH

rob

• Lance Mountain
« Reply #567 on: March 31, 2017, 01:51:44 AM »
im gonna have to intervene and say everyone has their taste and i cant back rictas, tried a set of NRG sandovals and they were fast no doubt but hard as rocks, and not even slidy hard. just plain hard.

wheels i can back

#1 bones stf(good grip, slide, and fast. theyre like a cruiser street wheel)
#2 mini logo A cut/maybe even the c cut 101a wheels(theyre such a nice classic street wheel feel with such good grip and feel, better than spit classics)
#3 spitfire  F4 either radial or classics
#4 i wanna say girl/chocolate wheels but i gotta get another set again, i think they felt like the mini logo 101a

other wheels ive tried(gold, spit classic, pig, ricta nrg, bones 100, and im forgetting one...) have nothing on these, also the mini logo really arent the same formula as bones 100 with a different name.
yes

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 47
« Reply #568 on: March 31, 2017, 06:12:13 AM »
im gonna have to intervene and say everyone has their taste and i cant back rictas, tried a set of NRG sandovals and they were fast no doubt but hard as rocks, and not even slidy hard. just plain hard.

wheels i can back

#2 mini logo A cut/maybe even the c cut 101a wheels(theyre such a nice classic street wheel feel with such good grip and feel, better than spit classics)
#4 i wanna say girl/chocolate wheels but i gotta get another set again, i think they felt like the mini logo 101a

other wheels ive tried(gold, spit classic, pig, ricta nrg, bones 100, and im forgetting one...) have nothing on these, also the mini logo really arent the same formula as bones 100 with a different name.

Mini logos are grippy but then all of a sudden slip out without warning IMO. Formula Fours are way more predictable and easier to slide but still grippy enough. Perfect. Unless you're on rough terrain. Then you'll need something softer (which is also sadly grippier).

rob

• Lance Mountain
« Reply #569 on: April 01, 2017, 12:41:40 AM »

wheels i can back

Mini logos are grippy but then all of a sudden slip out without warning IMO. Formula Fours are way more predictable and easier to slide but still grippy enough. Perfect. Unless you're on rough terrain. Then you'll need something softer (which is also sadly grippier).

I barely skate parks and I'm 90% on the streets, spitfire formula four 99 or 101 aren't as forgiving on street and aren't as fast as bones stf. When you skate on formula fours for days and try stf it's such a crazy difference, I rode formula fours for like 2 years and I was dead set on them then wondered why i dropped stf and tried them again and noticed they feel way smoother and faster
yes