Author Topic: Wheels Thread  (Read 777626 times)

johnes

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -237
Re: Wheels Thread
« Reply #600 on: April 05, 2017, 07:55:40 PM »
After being a little unsure for a while, i've realized I love my Orbs Ghost Lights. They just always feel hard and fast, they dont take much effort to slide. I have some in 54mm on my normal set up and 52 on my extra board. They haven't seemed to lose any chunks the way f4s sometimes do, no flat spots yet either.
I’m a fat Siamese cat.

Bumpovertrash

« Reply #601 on: April 06, 2017, 02:55:35 AM »
After being a little unsure for a while, i've realized I love my Orbs Ghost Lights. They just always feel hard and fast, they dont take much effort to slide. I have some in 54mm on my normal set up and 52 on my extra board. They haven't seemed to lose any chunks the way f4s sometimes do, no flat spots yet either.

Was thinking about trying these but haven't rode cores wheels ina decade.last ones I had were Darkstar unbreakable bullahit and the core popped out in a week. I was skating parking blocks and 3 stairs

Jud Nestorkins

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -59
  • Only YOU can prevent corporate espionage.
« Reply #602 on: April 06, 2017, 03:26:30 AM »
Pretty sure someone here just got some, maybe in the recent purchases thread
Why thank you my good man.

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #603 on: April 06, 2017, 05:11:21 AM »
Quote from: Bumpovertrash  link=topic=82118.msg2628732#msg2628732 date=1491472535
Expand Quote

[close]
Was thinking about trying these but haven't rode cores wheels ina decade.last ones I had were Darkstar unbreakable bullahit and the core popped out in a week. I was skating parking blocks and 3 stairs

I was using this muckefuck ones that look the exact same as the welcome ones (probably made on the same place) and they were the best wheels i've ever had. Fast, light, slide great, durable... Probably kinda slippery on parks but they are a hard wheel anyway. If the welcome are the same I wouldnt be scared to try them.

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

tangar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 64
  • THINK LESS
« Reply #604 on: April 06, 2017, 06:54:38 AM »
I copped some old Danny Renaud Paradise wheels for cheap from my local, only skated them on a flat a little yesterday. They felt a little soft for being 101s as compared to the F4s (99&101) I've been on for a while. But otherwise they felt fine.
Man the long board truck thing killed indy for me. I was willing to set aside the racism, but long boarding, gtfo... - DH

Esquivel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 214
« Reply #605 on: April 07, 2017, 06:18:36 AM »
Quote from: Bumpovertrash  link=topic=82118.msg2628732#msg2628732 date=1491472535
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

I was using this muckefuck ones that look the exact same as the welcome ones (probably made on the same place) and they were the best wheels i've ever had. Fast, light, slide great, durable... Probably kinda slippery on parks but they are a hard wheel anyway. If the welcome are the same I wouldnt be scared to try them.

exactly, i used to ride only cored wheels for a while (when i freaked with bones bearing cages slackening) and was using mainly rictas. Apart from the inedible flatspot i was very happy with the performance. Have seen flip sidecuts and also those shitty element featherlights breaking but my whole experience with core wheels is that if it is a decent set then they are not going to disappoint. These welcome/muckfuck ones look extra light
Expand Quote
And people say weed makes you creative
[close]
Good weed does - these broke ass skateboard designers smokin spice

Cherb

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -19
« Reply #606 on: April 07, 2017, 06:45:59 AM »
RIP Darkstar Lightknights. My favorite wheel I've ever skated.

rob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #607 on: April 09, 2017, 07:35:32 AM »
Does darkstar really make good formula wheels ?

I read Chet had darkstar originally as a wheel company and focused on darkstar doing top wheels for a moment then being forced to strictly do boards and starting wreck to continue his wheels thing
yes

Cherb

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #608 on: April 09, 2017, 10:55:35 AM »
No they don't. But the used to. Boooyy did they used to.

Zimmer

• Rep: -9
« Reply #609 on: April 09, 2017, 01:53:17 PM »
Yup, I remember darkstar being a legit wheel choice back in the day. Now I would probably just try wreck instead.

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #610 on: April 12, 2017, 07:53:32 AM »
Thanks for the feedback I was wondering cause warehouse had a sale on them and I remember my best friend had the same feeling about the light Knights, I wanna try some wreck but from the reviews I've seen everyone who rode bones stf previously still prefer stf over wreck and I hardcore love my stf's

Riding on some 53mm v5 and I love them, starting to have OCD on the shape here and there though and craving some classic v1, not too wide not too thin, classic shape and stf formula
« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 08:23:03 AM by rob »
yes

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1566
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #611 on: April 12, 2017, 08:21:58 AM »
From what I remember the dark stars had that really hard hard plastic feel and stf's have that slightly softer feel....

Cherb

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #612 on: April 12, 2017, 09:06:37 AM »
They were definitely hard as fuck.

TheBoognish

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
« Reply #613 on: April 12, 2017, 11:48:29 AM »
Does darkstar really make good formula wheels ?

I read Chet had darkstar originally as a wheel company and focused on darkstar doing top wheels for a moment then being forced to strictly do boards and starting wreck to continue his wheels thing

Best wheels in the game in the early 2000's. Don't know about now, I doubt they're as good as they used to.

HFS40000

• Rep: 0
« Reply #614 on: April 12, 2017, 12:45:05 PM »
Has anyone skated Ghetto Child's (ghetto children?) since they rebooted? I like the shape of them but haven't heard anything about the formula.

Twig88

• Rep: 10
« Reply #615 on: April 12, 2017, 12:53:25 PM »
I've been riding some 86a Ricta Clouds for a few weeks now and though they took a little getting used to, I'm really enjoying them. The roll a lot smoother than the 92a Spitfire Soft Ds on rough ground (unsurprisingly) but I don't feel I've sacrificed any rebound to get that magic carpet feel. I'm not hitting a lot of ledges but they do slide if you push in to them on nose/tailslides and they feel good on flip tricks. My frontside flips kinda scrape and these don't kill me which I'm taking as a good sign. They definitely have a soft wheel bounce that takes some getting used to. I'd say they are light years better than a Spitfire 80hd though.

I'm in the UK and spend a lot of my skate time just pushing around town so smooth ride is a priority. I never intended these to be used for more than that, but I take them out instead of my 92a Soft Ds because they have no real downside and they ride better. I'm planning to try both the 92a Clouds and the 95a Soft Ds to get a full spectrum. Just not sure which to get first.

thespacewolf

• Rep: 10
« Reply #616 on: April 12, 2017, 01:18:12 PM »
I've been riding some 86a Ricta Clouds for a few weeks now and though they took a little getting used to, I'm really enjoying them. The roll a lot smoother than the 92a Spitfire Soft Ds on rough ground (unsurprisingly) but I don't feel I've sacrificed any rebound to get that magic carpet feel. I'm not hitting a lot of ledges but they do slide if you push in to them on nose/tailslides and they feel good on flip tricks. My frontside flips kinda scrape and these don't kill me which I'm taking as a good sign. They definitely have a soft wheel bounce that takes some getting used to. I'd say they are light years better than a Spitfire 80hd though.

I'm in the UK and spend a lot of my skate time just pushing around town so smooth ride is a priority. I never intended these to be used for more than that, but I take them out instead of my 92a Soft Ds because they have no real downside and they ride better. I'm planning to try both the 92a Clouds and the 95a Soft Ds to get a full spectrum. Just not sure which to get first.

I'm currently riding the 95a Soft Ds and they're exactly what I'm looking for. I was in love with F4s, but wanted a softer ride, so I tried the 92a clouds, which we're still a tad bit grippier and bouncier than I wanted, then went to the 95a Soft Ds.

In your case, I'd say you're in a good spot. I would imagine that the 92a Soft Ds aren't as different as the 92a clouds, but they are different brands so who knows. With the 95a you're probably going to feel the rough ground more than you would like. Also I live/skate in southern California and don't skate around rough roads, which would probably explain my love for a somewhat harder wheel.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 01:19:43 PM by thespacewolf »

Dr-Feelgood

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 37
  • Hello, i love you, won't you tell me your name?
« Reply #617 on: April 12, 2017, 01:27:01 PM »
Has anyone skated Ghetto Child's (ghetto children?) since they rebooted? I like the shape of them but haven't heard anything about the formula.

Havent really heard anything but i plan on getting a whole new set up this summer, was thinking about getting ghetto child wheels.

We may not know what skateboarding is
But we sure as hell know what it aint
Wait we know what it is now too -
Falling down and gettin back up

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #618 on: April 12, 2017, 06:46:29 PM »
Best wheels in the game in the early 2000's.
core tech from Australia tho :o

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

calvinsdream

« Reply #619 on: April 13, 2017, 12:22:56 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I'm currently riding the 95a Soft Ds and they're exactly what I'm looking for. I was in love with F4s, but wanted a softer ride, so I tried the 92a clouds, which we're still a tad bit grippier and bouncier than I wanted, then went to the 95a Soft Ds.

In your case, I'd say you're in a good spot. I would imagine that the 92a Soft Ds aren't as different as the 92a clouds, but they are different brands so who knows. With the 95a you're probably going to feel the rough ground more than you would like. Also I live/skate in southern California and don't skate around rough roads, which would probably explain my love for a somewhat harder wheel.

I'm really loving the 78a clouds on my cruiser set up now. They're even reasonably slideable on rougher concrete.

OldManSkate

• Rep: -3
« Reply #620 on: April 13, 2017, 12:30:45 PM »
Anybody try Pusher Wheels? Curious on how they ride but my heart is telling me to stick to F4's...they've never let me down.

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
« Reply #621 on: April 21, 2017, 09:55:37 AM »
how do stf v5s stack up against say formula fours? rocked some 56mm stf v5s for a year and need a new set, dunno whether to grab another set of stfs (probably 54's), try formula fours or maybe give spfs or even speedlab a shot.

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 581
« Reply #622 on: April 21, 2017, 11:57:48 AM »
how do stf v5s stack up against say formula fours? rocked some 56mm stf v5s for a year and need a new set, dunno whether to grab another set of stfs (probably 54's), try formula fours or maybe give spfs or even speedlab a shot.

I went from the 99a Classic shape Formula 4s to V5 Bones. The Bones definitely feel more slippery and plasticky. As for an accurate comparison, just picked up 101a Conical Fulls off skatewarehouse
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 481
« Reply #623 on: April 21, 2017, 12:44:07 PM »
101a conical full  ;D

thebacker

« Reply #624 on: April 21, 2017, 03:10:10 PM »
101a conical full  ;D
101s are perrrrrect. ive been riding the classic 101s 53mm and they slide when i need to and not when i dont

Cherb

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #625 on: April 21, 2017, 03:14:09 PM »
101 radial slims are sooo good tho.

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #626 on: April 21, 2017, 06:12:15 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I went from the 99a Classic shape Formula 4s to V5 Bones. The Bones definitely feel more slippery and plasticky. As for an accurate comparison, just picked up 101a Conical Fulls off skatewarehouse

Maybe at a park but I skate street almost everyday and bones stf feel way smoother and faster than formula fours. Formula fours on street are slower and rattle 99 or 101. If you push around streets with each on different setups for like 10 min each you'll notice what I'm saying, I was riding formula fours and swore they were the best wheels for 2 years then I switched around back to stf and best switch I've made, so much faster and smoother and grippier. The formula fours are for easy slides even when your rolling slow cause power slides before were usually only done bombing a hill or slowing down after picking up speed landing a trick but not the way we do it now just sliding around with trendy tricks and trying to slow down with style before you hit a ledge or curb, if you skate street/ harsh actual asphalt and rough cement streets bones stf, if you just skate at the park I think whatever you like is good cause the floors all Nice and smooth
yes

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #627 on: April 24, 2017, 10:23:43 AM »
word the stfs are pretty plasticky, when i first got mine i was cruising down my street and chucked the first powerslide on em and ate shit so fucking bad. after looking around i think im gonna get some spfs but im on the line about sizes; i got away with 56mm stfs on thunder 149 team hi's and 1/4 pig risers but i dunno if i should go 56 again or make a jump to some nice looking 60mm schroeder spfs. most likely be on an 8.38 and i mostly skate transition with the occasional street spot thrown in, just wondering what sort of riser setup/bolts i'd need, probably a 1/2 inch riser and the 1 1/2 inch bolts?

danjtony

• Rep: -4
« Reply #628 on: April 24, 2017, 10:17:57 PM »
A quarter inch riser should suffice (1 1/4th hardware). I had 149's with 59mm hard wheels and I had them super loose--1/4th was fine

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #629 on: April 25, 2017, 03:43:37 AM »
oh word nice, i didnt know 1 1/4th hardware existed it seems nowhere localish stocks it - was running 1 inch bolts on 1/4 risers and had to periodically tighten em up or the fuckers would come loose, lost a few bolts cus of that. still unsure if 60 would be too big for myself but fuck it.