Author Topic: Wheels Thread  (Read 778104 times)

LeDave, texastoast (+ 1 Hidden) and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

danjtony

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -4
Re: Wheels Thread
« Reply #630 on: April 25, 2017, 05:17:19 AM »
Yeah I dunno, I skate a lot tranny too and the biggest I can go is 56mm. Any bigger and I can't flip my board well. Also like loose trucks and not a fan of big ass risers (1/8th is ok though)

mynameisnotjeff

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 581
« Reply #631 on: April 25, 2017, 10:53:18 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
how do stf v5s stack up against say formula fours? rocked some 56mm stf v5s for a year and need a new set, dunno whether to grab another set of stfs (probably 54's), try formula fours or maybe give spfs or even speedlab a shot.
[close]

I went from the 99a Classic shape Formula 4s to V5 Bones. The Bones definitely feel more slippery and plasticky. As for an accurate comparison, just picked up 101a Conical Fulls off skatewarehouse
[close]

Maybe at a park but I skate street almost everyday and bones stf feel way smoother and faster than formula fours. Formula fours on street are slower and rattle 99 or 101. If you push around streets with each on different setups for like 10 min each you'll notice what I'm saying, I was riding formula fours and swore they were the best wheels for 2 years then I switched around back to stf and best switch I've made, so much faster and smoother and grippier. The formula fours are for easy slides even when your rolling slow cause power slides before were usually only done bombing a hill or slowing down after picking up speed landing a trick but not the way we do it now just sliding around with trendy tricks and trying to slow down with style before you hit a ledge or curb, if you skate street/ harsh actual asphalt and rough cement streets bones stf, if you just skate at the park I think whatever you like is good cause the floors all Nice and smooth

Alright, got the Spitfires. Haven't done much because of school and work but, feel better than the EZ edge OJs. Could be the hype to be back on Spitfire but I felt faster and slides are way easier, I can actually get my front wheels to slide instead of having to pump or revert.
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 939
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #632 on: April 29, 2017, 11:08:53 AM »
Expand Quote
how do stf v5s stack up against say formula fours? rocked some 56mm stf v5s for a year and need a new set, dunno whether to grab another set of stfs (probably 54's), try formula fours or maybe give spfs or even speedlab a shot.
[close]

I went from the 99a Classic shape Formula 4s to V5 Bones. The Bones definitely feel more slippery and plasticky. As for an accurate comparison, just picked up 101a Conical Fulls off skatewarehouse

The V5/P5 (OJ Hardline) is one of my favorite shapes for wheels (barring the Spit AWOL, come on DLX, bring it back).

It's apples to oranges, you couldn't have more of a different feel between wheels.

For me, if I'm skating smooth street, let's say a park setting, good parking lots, whatever, STFs (hell for park street skating only I'd go spfs). Shitty streets and harsh terrain, F4s (or wayward/regular OJs all the way) as they're hard, slide and grip but they are a tad bit forgiving when it comes to rattle as they feel softer to me than STFs.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2017, 11:12:52 AM by Xen »

calvinsdream

« Reply #633 on: May 01, 2017, 08:18:37 PM »
word the stfs are pretty plasticky, when i first got mine i was cruising down my street and chucked the first powerslide on em and ate shit so fucking bad. after looking around i think im gonna get some spfs but im on the line about sizes; i got away with 56mm stfs on thunder 149 team hi's and 1/4 pig risers but i dunno if i should go 56 again or make a jump to some nice looking 60mm schroeder spfs. most likely be on an 8.38 and i mostly skate transition with the occasional street spot thrown in, just wondering what sort of riser setup/bolts i'd need, probably a 1/2 inch riser and the 1 1/2 inch bolts?

I bought half inch risers once. I've never found a use for them that 1/4" risers don't meet.

1/2" risers are 12.5mm. So running 1/2" risers for 60mm gives the same ratio as riding 47.5mm wheels with no risers - maybe a bit overkill.

1/4" risers with 60mm means you're running the equivalent of 54mm with no risers.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #634 on: May 01, 2017, 08:50:59 PM »
Expand Quote
word the stfs are pretty plasticky, when i first got mine i was cruising down my street and chucked the first powerslide on em and ate shit so fucking bad. after looking around i think im gonna get some spfs but im on the line about sizes; i got away with 56mm stfs on thunder 149 team hi's and 1/4 pig risers but i dunno if i should go 56 again or make a jump to some nice looking 60mm schroeder spfs. most likely be on an 8.38 and i mostly skate transition with the occasional street spot thrown in, just wondering what sort of riser setup/bolts i'd need, probably a 1/2 inch riser and the 1 1/2 inch bolts?
[close]

I bought half inch risers once. I've never found a use for them that 1/4" risers don't meet.

1/2" risers are 12.5mm. So running 1/2" risers for 60mm gives the same ratio as riding 47.5mm wheels with no risers - maybe a bit overkill.

1/4" risers with 60mm means you're running the equivalent of 54mm with no risers.

Actually, the difference in 54 mm and 60 mm wheels is 6 mm, but only half of that (3 mm) is between the axle and the board, so a 1/8" (3.175 mm) riser would give you about the same clearance on a 60 mm wheel as a 54 mm wheel with no riser.

calvinsdream

« Reply #635 on: May 01, 2017, 11:27:48 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Actually, the difference in 54 mm and 60 mm wheels is 6 mm, but only half of that (3 mm) is between the axle and the board, so a 1/8" (3.175 mm) riser would give you about the same clearance on a 60 mm wheel as a 54 mm wheel with no riser.

holy fuck i can't believe i never thought of that

I've been calculating it wrong for like 3 years now.

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1152
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #636 on: May 02, 2017, 07:46:07 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

holy fuck i can't believe i never thought of that

I've been calculating it wrong for like 3 years now.

hardly art, hardly starving

Jud Nestorkins

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -59
  • Only YOU can prevent corporate espionage.
« Reply #637 on: May 10, 2017, 09:50:38 PM »
Quick question about Wayward wheels if anyone knows.

What's closer to a spitfire classic shape, Wayward round shape or slim?

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1152
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #638 on: May 11, 2017, 08:02:58 AM »
whatever shape Wayward's standard shape is (I'm guessing the 'round'), it's very close to the classic Spitfire shape... the wayward standard may have a lil bit wider riding-area, but not much.

hardly art, hardly starving

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 939
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #639 on: May 13, 2017, 04:16:23 PM »

The slim (the round is much wider than the spit classic, think classic full, which they discontinued, so those of you who loved'em, grab some waywards ;) I compared both side by side when buying my waywards and couldn't pull the trigger on the round cuts, had to go with the slims.

Left 52mm spit classic, right 52mm wayward slim.

Notes:

- Wayward roundcut  slims are a hair slimmer than the F4 classic shape, yet wider than the spit classic slim (which I think are also discontinued?)

- Spits and waywards (and bones) increase in width and riding surface as you increase in height:

Measurements to compare the round cut and classic (wawards site doesn't have a table for the slim wheel for some reason).

101 Spits and wayward are damn near identical in feel but i'd give the edge to spits when it comes to slide and wayward in terms of grip, tho it could be that the waywards just feel a tad softer (to me anyway) both great for shitty terrain - wayards will stay whiter it seems. The funnel shape looks pretty bad-ass..
« Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 05:16:22 PM by Xen »

Jud Nestorkins

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #640 on: May 13, 2017, 07:53:52 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

The slim (the round is much wider than the spit classic, think classic full, which they discontinued, so those of you who loved'em, grab some waywards ;) I compared both side by side when buying my waywards and couldn't pull the trigger on the round cuts, had to go with the slims.

Left 52mm spit classic, right 52mm wayward slim.

Notes:

- Wayward roundcut  slims are a hair slimmer than the F4 classic shape, yet wider than the spit classic slim (which I think are also discontinued?)

- Spits and waywards (and bones) increase in width and riding surface as you increase in height:

Measurements to compare the round cut and classic (wawards site doesn't have a table for the slim wheel for some reason).

101 Spits and wayward are damn near identical in feel but i'd give the edge to spits when it comes to slide and wayward in terms of grip, tho it could be that the waywards just feel a tad softer (to me anyway) both great for shitty terrain - wayards will stay whiter it seems. The funnel shape looks pretty bad-ass..

Xen you are the man! looms like I'll be picking up a set of 52 slims then.

Even better too  because the round cuts I can get are 99a and these slims are 101A.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 10:41:48 PM by Jud Nestorkins »

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #641 on: May 14, 2017, 03:22:30 AM »
I'm officially in the market for some new wheels. Thinking about getting these because they're cheap and I'm one broke motherfucker
http://www.skatewarehouse.com/Autobahn_Nexus_AB-S_100A_Wheels/descpage-ABNABWH.html
I've heard good things about autobahn but I'm pretty sure these are just their normal run of the mill formula/pricepoint formula as opposed to their more fancy formula wheels that everyone praises. How are these when it comes to durability and feel? Would it be a good investment or should I go with something else?

DaSk8D00D

• Rep: -108
  • Can't Leave SLAP Alone the Game Needs Me!
« Reply #642 on: May 18, 2017, 10:01:16 AM »
I'm thinking g about getting crupie's. Team/overall vibe are sick! Anyone have these?

I've been hyped off them too I Got a set of the Carlos ribeiro wheels in 54mm coming in the mail. I'm looking forward to trying them out I'll post in here after I've skated em for a bit

Bensquirts

• Rep: 75
« Reply #643 on: May 18, 2017, 01:04:31 PM »
Has anyone tried Muckefuck wheels?

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #644 on: May 18, 2017, 03:34:27 PM »
Go for it! Really good wheels and sick team. They laaaaast, are fast, slide good, never had a flatspot (I had the Jorge Simoes 52mm cored wheel). Never heard a complain about them and they were kinda popular in my area. My set of wheels was 1 year old and they were like 50mm still, crazy durable. The

Expand Quote
I'm thinking g about getting crupie's. Team/overall vibe are sick! Anyone have these?
[close]

I've been hyped off them too I Got a set of the Carlos ribeiro wheels in 54mm coming in the mail. I'm looking forward to trying them out I'll post in here after I've skated em for a bit
About the Crupies, I have the Carlos Ribeiro 53mm right now on my setup and after about 1 month I cant complain. I havent been skating as much as I want but they feel fast, probably faster than the Muckefucks I had, but they also feel harder, which I like. I've skated in Parks with smooth grounds and they arent super slippery. They slide good when doing tailslides and such, and seem durable too because I can still see a little of the ridges you have on a new wheel.
I feel that for the price they ask they're probably the best wheel out there, price-value wise. A Spit formula four or some Bones cost like 50 euros or more in europe, while those were 30 and they feel really good. The team has some people that I want to support too so that's a bonus.

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

Bensquirts

• Rep: 75
« Reply #645 on: May 18, 2017, 07:13:05 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Go for it! Really good wheels and sick team. They laaaaast, are fast, slide good, never had a flatspot (I had the Jorge Simoes 52mm cored wheel). Never heard a complain about them and they were kinda popular in my area. My set of wheels was 1 year old and they were like 50mm still, crazy durable. The

Thank you for the heads up SKATAN, I just ordered a set!

shitdick22

• Rep: 1
« Reply #646 on: May 18, 2017, 09:32:47 PM »
just got some 52mm ricta clouds (the hardest ones). They feel fucking incredible but are a little big for my board. Gonna throw them on a cruiser setup and film with them till they're like 50s

JumpManShorty

• Rep: -86
« Reply #647 on: May 18, 2017, 11:52:28 PM »
Just been out in Tokyo and get the 99s anyone heading out there. Shits crusty as fuck

Jud Nestorkins

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #648 on: June 01, 2017, 10:47:47 PM »
Just rode wayward wheels (101A) for the first time and they feel almost exactly like my 101 formula 4s but crisper if that makes sense.

Defo backing this company!

tangar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 64
  • THINK LESS
« Reply #649 on: June 02, 2017, 12:02:52 AM »
Just rode wayward wheels (101A) for the first time and they feel almost exactly like my 101 formula 4s but crisper if that makes sense.

Defo backing this company!
Are they grippy at all or do they feel like out-of-control slide? I'm definitely interested in getting a set.
Man the long board truck thing killed indy for me. I was willing to set aside the racism, but long boarding, gtfo... - DH

kook nukem

« Reply #650 on: June 02, 2017, 12:24:31 AM »
How do fools rock 101a? Slides around on parks, and feels every bump when it's rough. Can anyone explain, because I've never understood the appeal? 99a only for me.

Jud Nestorkins

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #651 on: June 02, 2017, 02:20:46 AM »
How do fools rock 101a? Slides around on parks, and feels every bump when it's rough. Can anyone explain, because I've never understood the appeal? 99a only for me.

101As never bother me when I ride as far the teeth rattling.

Also These Waywards feel only the slightest bit more slippery than the formula 4s but also have tons of grip for a wheel that slides this good.

« Last Edit: June 02, 2017, 02:22:57 AM by Jud Nestorkins »

tangar

• SLAP Pal
  • THINK LESS
« Reply #652 on: June 02, 2017, 09:08:47 AM »
I'm going back and forth between radial slims and classic slims, both 99. I was doing a lot of power slides to stop myself the last couple days and it feels like the radials are more slippery than the classics, maybe cause the classics are older and more at the sweet spot so to speak? I have no idea. But I definitely wanna stick with slim wheels, hopefully my local will get waywards in eventually.
Man the long board truck thing killed indy for me. I was willing to set aside the racism, but long boarding, gtfo... - DH

DaSk8D00D

• Rep: -108
  • Can't Leave SLAP Alone the Game Needs Me!
« Reply #653 on: June 02, 2017, 10:26:22 AM »
Loving these Crupie 54mm 101a wheels. I've been skating the 99a spitfires exclusively for a couple of years now but these Crupies feel just as good so far. They've got somewhat of a radial shape, and despite being a harder wheel they still grip smooth surfaces pretty well and slide like a beast. Only time will tell how long they last or if the "stay white" formula works but so far, they're as legit as anything else out there. Hopefully the brand pops off
« Last Edit: June 02, 2017, 01:33:57 PM by DaSk8D00D »

N.L.

« Reply #654 on: June 02, 2017, 12:30:38 PM »

Two words: Backside Powerslides. Sure, I can do them on 99s but without 101s I'd probably wouldn't have learnt them...

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -83
« Reply #655 on: June 02, 2017, 01:13:02 PM »
I'm going back and forth between radial slims and classic slims, both 99. I was doing a lot of power slides to stop myself the last couple days and it feels like the radials are more slippery than the classics, maybe cause the classics are older and more at the sweet spot so to speak? I have no idea. But I definitely wanna stick with slim wheels, hopefully my local will get waywards in eventually.
Bruh, RC been having em.
you never know about pre-cum 

Zimmer

• Rep: -9
« Reply #656 on: June 02, 2017, 02:02:57 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Two words: Backside Powerslides. Sure, I can do them on 99s but without 101s I'd probably wouldn't have learnt them...

I also did my first BS slide on 101s. Also, I don't know how to explain it.. But 101s just feel good to ride. As long as the streets aren't too shitty, you feel like you roll faster, and being so connected to the pavement makes me feel more in control somehow.

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 581
« Reply #657 on: June 02, 2017, 02:12:40 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I also did my first BS slide on 101s. Also, I don't know how to explain it.. But 101s just feel good to ride. As long as the streets aren't too shitty, you feel like you roll faster, and being so connected to the pavement makes me feel more in control somehow.

I feel like the wider surface of conical fulls helps with shitty ground. I was hauling ass yesterday and I went so fast i got speed wobbles (on flat) and I have never felt as cool as that moment although I probably looked like an idiot
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

Jud Nestorkins

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #658 on: June 02, 2017, 03:24:40 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

I feel like the wider surface of conical fulls helps with shitty ground. I was hauling ass yesterday and I went so fast i got speed wobbles (on flat) and I have never felt as cool as that moment although I probably looked like an idiot
What does hauling ass have to do with wider wheels going over shitty ground.

I mean I do think wider wheels handle rough terrain better but I've also pushed this fast (see video below) down the street with spitfire classics and they were just fine.

2:39 to see the speed i was talking about.

Torey Pudwill's Big Bang

tangar

• SLAP Pal
  • THINK LESS
« Reply #659 on: June 08, 2017, 09:56:12 AM »

Pulled the trigger on these even tho I wanted the slims. They feel way more stable than my classic slims I was just on. Almost to a point where the turning felt different. But I'll get used to them. Felt super grippy and fast albeit I only skated parking lot pavement for the first sesh. But I'm excited to break them in some more and see how they work out.