Author Topic: Wheels Thread  (Read 777602 times)

flocke and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

gumi

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 6
Re: Wheels Thread
« Reply #750 on: August 21, 2017, 03:18:33 PM »
Anyone here skate sml wheels? Are they good? How do they compare to F4s? Does anything compare to F4s?

Wayward, from what I have heard

colt cannon lunchbox

• Rep: -92
« Reply #751 on: August 22, 2017, 10:37:37 PM »
Has anyone skated anyone of the Type S 98a wheels? I wanna try something a bit smoother than a 99 but not quite a cruiser wheel.

Would there even be much of a difference in 1 durometer anyway?

Matthew_James

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -191
« Reply #752 on: August 23, 2017, 10:51:11 AM »
Expand Quote
Anyone here skate sml wheels? Are they good? How do they compare to F4s? Does anything compare to F4s?
[close]

Wayward, from what I have heard

I've never heard anything good about Wayward.
At least when you're a washed-out hipster douchebag in NY, you can milk it at some decent looking, hard to skate spots. In LA you're just a tan-lined faggot in a school yard somewhere.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #753 on: August 23, 2017, 01:05:45 PM »
F4s aren't white to begin with...
« Last Edit: August 23, 2017, 01:08:01 PM by Roisto »

JusticeAbberdash

« Reply #754 on: August 23, 2017, 04:31:36 PM »
I actually prefer the colour of well used F4s.

Has anyone skated anyone of the Type S 98a wheels? I wanna try something a bit smoother than a 99 but not quite a cruiser wheel.

I don't think you'd feel much of a difference, If you want something between a street and cruiser wheel I'd recommend OJ's 92a ditch witch. I don't really ride them very often, but I like the feel. Ricta has 92a clouds too but I haven't tried them.

Cherb

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -19
« Reply #755 on: August 23, 2017, 04:49:19 PM »
I would suck three dicks of Ricta started making 53mm Park Crushers again.

THREE OF THEM.

heritage

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 98
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #756 on: August 23, 2017, 04:52:38 PM »

Absolutely have. I loved Type S wheels. Even tho they were all vert dudes, the wheels were great on any terrain. Really well made. If you look at the first page of this thread I had the 96 and they were just a little too grippy for my tastes. Not "soft" at all, just smooth/grippy. The 98s were perfect. Where are you finding Type S wheels? I thought they closed up. Most of those dudes ride for Alta now.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 937
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #757 on: August 23, 2017, 08:49:11 PM »

THREE OF THEM.

I loved my 55mm crushers until I flatted them at a park, such a fast, hard wheel.

Rictas problem is they rotate out wheels types too fast...speed rings, gone (tho they lasted a while), pro designed are gone in favor of pro natural nrgs and old sparx are gone, for new sparx....crushers became scorpions (wtf) only to vanish....slix are dumb and crome cores seem to only exist because nyjah skates them...

Been eyeing the D.Loy 53 naturals for a minute...

colt cannon lunchbox

« Reply #758 on: August 24, 2017, 01:03:23 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Absolutely have. I loved Type S wheels. Even tho they were all vert dudes, the wheels were great on any terrain. Really well made. If you look at the first page of this thread I had the 96 and they were just a little too grippy for my tastes. Not "soft" at all, just smooth/grippy. The 98s were perfect. Where are you finding Type S wheels? I thought they closed up. Most of those dudes ride for Alta now.

https://www.ocdskateshop.com.au/shop/wheels/wheels-by-brand/type-s.html

This aussie site has a few sets im pretty interested in the bastien wheel as i know its pretty rare to get wheels that are both small and softer than a 99.

I pretty much just wanna be able to ride on the road (which can be pretty rough out here) or skate tranny without being scared of slipping out

I will probably get them in the coming weeks if i can't come across the oj's mentioned above

Cherb

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -19
« Reply #759 on: August 24, 2017, 04:22:10 AM »
Expand Quote

THREE OF THEM.
[close]

I loved my 55mm crushers until I flatted them at a park, such a fast, hard wheel.

Rictas problem is they rotate out wheels types too fast...speed rings, gone (tho they lasted a while), pro designed are gone in favor of pro natural nrgs and old sparx are gone, for new sparx....crushers became scorpions (wtf) only to vanish....slix are dumb and crome cores seem to only exist because nyjah skates them...

They change their wheel selection more than I change my shirt. Those Loy and Black Johnson wheels both look like they're a pretty similiar shape. I'm only concerned if the hardness would match up since they went from calling them 84b to 101a and I'm generally a broke ass bitch. If you're gonna start using the god damn B scale on your wheels don't pussy out and keep using the damn B scale!

Glue Reed

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 159
« Reply #760 on: August 25, 2017, 10:38:32 AM »
Quick question...

Any of you guys like riding wheels that are a tad softer than the usual 99/101's?

I was thinking the other day how much I used to like spitfire parkburners, which were 97/98 I believe.

Are there any wheels out there that are comparable to that? I know Skull sells 97's which look pretty rad

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -83
« Reply #761 on: August 25, 2017, 10:51:51 AM »
SML makes a 97 Aaron Herrington wheel I've been tempted to buy multiple times.
you never know about pre-cum 

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #762 on: August 25, 2017, 04:57:29 PM »
Quick question...

Any of you guys like riding wheels that are a tad softer than the usual 99/101's?

I was thinking the other day how much I used to like spitfire parkburners, which were 97/98 I believe.

Are there any wheels out there that are comparable to that? I know Skull sells 97's which look pretty rad

Nope, I need wheels as hard as rocks. I just rotated out my waywards to F4s (both claim 101a but they feel much softer), then F4s to bones stf (83b) and then finally bones to my old ass 99a rictas.

The 99a rictas felt much harder than all the above, chirped the loudest. The waywards and f4s felt sticky grippy, rictas grippy and stfs in between. Waiting for a sale to grab some of the 101 rictas.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote

THREE OF THEM.
[close]

[close]
They change their wheel selection more than I change my shirt. Those Loy and Black Johnson wheels both look like they're a pretty similiar shape. I'm only concerned if the hardness would match up since they went from calling them 84b to 101a and I'm generally a broke ass bitch. If you're gonna start using the god damn B scale on your wheels don't pussy out and keep using the damn B scale!

My guess is the b scale is too complicated for some to wrap their heads around, either that or they adjusted the formula and they are a true 101 instead of 103/104 or whatever the fuck b to a translates too; but, naturals have been their mainstay and always been on the 'a' scale. They let their marketing teams have too much control I think :P

I'm going to guess the pro naturals are going to stick around for a while...at least until the <pro natural nrg speed ring crystal duo tones> come out :P

« Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 05:10:37 PM by Xen »

doublesteveburger

« Reply #763 on: August 26, 2017, 05:45:35 PM »
Debating on getting some SPF's on sale but don't know how they compare to STF's.
Also, anyone ever try Oj's 101a's?

Currently riding some Bones 100's but they're grippy as fuck and I miss power-slides.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #764 on: August 27, 2017, 10:02:10 PM »
Debating on getting some SPF's on sale but don't know how they compare to STF's.
Also, anyone ever try Oj's 101a's?

Currently riding some Bones 100's but they're grippy as fuck and I miss power-slides.

SPFs are grippier and harder feeling than STFs, different formula; personally SPFs are for park only.

101 OJs (regular formula), feel like F4s but without the easy f4 slide, they're pretty grippy, just got to push into those slides - good for rough streets/all terrain.

101 OJs (insane-a-thane), feel like Ricta chrome cores/Park crushers, hard as nails but a wee bit chalky (I love'em); they fit right in between SPFs and STFs for me, pretty damn hard on rough streets tho.

Jud Nestorkins

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -59
  • Only YOU can prevent corporate espionage.
« Reply #765 on: August 29, 2017, 04:44:29 AM »
How are SML?s. Slow, fast, grippy, slick etc..., how do they compare to both formula fours and arcs x and do they have different shapes or just a standards STFs.

I can get a cheap set but want to know what I?d be getting lol

Also if anyone ants to know my Waywards are stillpretty much  fucking perfect and ed to yellow whatsoever. Unless I decide to get these Sml?s I don?t think I?ll ever not buy Waywords.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #766 on: August 30, 2017, 11:24:06 AM »
Stick with the waywards!

Sml, the ones I skated, the narrow cut or whatever, we're cored, didn't feel fast at all and we're much to grippy.

I wish Landshark had more success, those wheels were on point.

Jud Nestorkins

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #767 on: September 04, 2017, 06:54:36 AM »
Stick with the waywards!

Sml, the ones I skated, the narrow cut or whatever, we're cored, didn't feel fast at all and we're much to grippy.

I wish Landshark had more success, those wheels were on point.

Well I work nights and took the train to work. I'm
Currently on the bus home and didn't notice anything on my way to the train but on the
Way to the bus I heard thumping and lo and behold, my waywards have a significant flat spot.

Going to try out my old STFs but it looks like I'll be sticking to F4's. Everything else I try gives me a worse experience.

Edit: it's been a long tom since I've had STFs and I remember them being suuuper duper mega hard but they barely feel harder than my Waywards.

Also, I have the v3s (I fucking love skinny wheels and these are about half as wide as spitfire classics) and bombed a hill right by house and their slide brought back  so many memories. Now I remember why I used ride nothing but STFs. And they don't have that plastic-ish feeling I remembered either.

This is weird. The STFs feel like a SLIGHTLY harder wayward (101s) with a bit more slide

I  know that riding then with loose tucks (I ride thunders with the stick white bushings and have never loosened or tightened them ever) with these might be a little slick but I love them. Makes me feel like a kid in a candy store.

Going to ride these for a bit and see if I find any flaws but right off the bat, they feel super good.  

Double edit: forgot the picture of the flat spot.

« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 07:57:27 AM by Jud Nestorkins »

Jud Nestorkins

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #768 on: September 09, 2017, 11:09:50 PM »
Okay, so on rough ass ground or the sidewalks on my way to work with pretty big cracks STFs definitely ?rattle my teeth? quite a bit but there is still something I love about them. Maybe because until about year ago I only rode them for a solid 3-4 years so I?m just used to them I don?t know.

Still think I prefer formula 4 classics but I don?t hate these STFs like I thought I would.

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 517
« Reply #769 on: September 09, 2017, 11:32:58 PM »
Skated the 55mm 99a f4 lock-ins for the first time today. Much wider and hence grippier than my radial slims which were under 50mm. Blunts on ledges are much stickier but feel so much more in control bombing hills and navigating shit terrain. Feels nice to have a powerslide that actually slows you down. Can always wax up a ledge more, can't unwax the ground.

Might just be placebo effect but I did notice my backside 5050s on round rails slipping out into feeble less, so far I'm convinced that they do help a little with locking in. Got a small flatspot already though, should be gone in a few.

DCLOVE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -479
« Reply #770 on: September 10, 2017, 07:56:52 PM »
How much of difference is there between a stf v2 and v5? I'm skating the v5s right now and enjoying them but the v2s seem like the same shape but slightly slimmer. Is that the only difference?
PINE 2009, 2010, 2011, 2020, PINE STILL MAKIN' MONEY.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #771 on: September 10, 2017, 08:28:56 PM »
How much of difference is there between a stf v2 and v5? I'm skating the v5s right now and enjoying them but the v2s seem like the same shape but slightly slimmer. Is that the only difference?

They pretty damn different.

https://bones.com/why/street-tech-formula/

Jud Nestorkins

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #772 on: September 11, 2017, 08:35:29 AM »
So I've only ever skated spitfire's classic shape.

Would anyone who's tried both, recommend classics or radial slims.

JusticeAbberdash

« Reply #773 on: September 11, 2017, 09:53:11 AM »

I haven't tried the slims, but regular radials are super nice.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #774 on: September 11, 2017, 01:22:30 PM »

I prefer slimmer wheels so I opt'd for the Radial Slims...Classics are so round to me now.

Toadfish Rebecchi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -45
« Reply #775 on: September 12, 2017, 07:34:13 PM »
Why do Bones Wheels look like they're made of washing powder crammed really tightly into the shape of a wheel? It distresses me.
[http://distilleryimage1.s3.amazonaws.com/ea8128aa83b711e383dc1219137b9e09_8.jpg]

N.L.

« Reply #776 on: September 12, 2017, 07:50:44 PM »

Radial Slims in a 101 were too narrow for my tastes. Still an amazing wheel but I prefer regular radials, which are a perfect combo of shape and width for the stuff I skate. Classics also great.

Dr. Octagon

« Reply #777 on: September 12, 2017, 08:52:14 PM »
plan to pick up some of those 55mm 99A lockins. getting tired of the classic shape on curbs

colt cannon lunchbox

« Reply #778 on: September 13, 2017, 01:48:45 AM »
First day skating OJ Insanathane 101s and these are substantially faster than any other wheel I have ever had. They are slippery as fuck, which I kinda like but I would be scared to skate an indoor or really smooth new tranny with these. For smooth street skating I would 100% skate these over a formula four 101.

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
    • Instagram avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #779 on: September 13, 2017, 07:32:00 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I prefer slimmer wheels so I opt'd for the Radial Slims...Classics are so round to me now.

Classics have a smaller riding surface, so they'll feel faster. I prefer the grip you get from the other shapes personally.