Author Topic: Wheels Thread  (Read 128599 times)

JusticeAbberdash

Re: Wheels Thread
« Reply #780 on: September 11, 2017, 09:53:11 AM »
So I've only ever skated spitfire's classic shape.

Would anyone who's tried both, recommend classics or radial slims.

I haven't tried the slims, but regular radials are super nice.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 7
« Reply #781 on: September 11, 2017, 01:22:30 PM »

I prefer slimmer wheels so I opt'd for the Radial Slims...Classics are so round to me now.

Toadfish Rebecchi

• Rep: -60
« Reply #782 on: September 12, 2017, 07:34:13 PM »
Why do Bones Wheels look like they're made of washing powder crammed really tightly into the shape of a wheel? It distresses me.
[http://distilleryimage1.s3.amazonaws.com/ea8128aa83b711e383dc1219137b9e09_8.jpg]

N.L.

« Reply #783 on: September 12, 2017, 07:50:44 PM »

Radial Slims in a 101 were too narrow for my tastes. Still an amazing wheel but I prefer regular radials, which are a perfect combo of shape and width for the stuff I skate. Classics also great.

Dr. Octagon

« Reply #784 on: September 12, 2017, 08:52:14 PM »
plan to pick up some of those 55mm 99A lockins. getting tired of the classic shape on curbs

colt cannon lunchbox

• Rep: -95
« Reply #785 on: September 13, 2017, 01:48:45 AM »
First day skating OJ Insanathane 101s and these are substantially faster than any other wheel I have ever had. They are slippery as fuck, which I kinda like but I would be scared to skate an indoor or really smooth new tranny with these. For smooth street skating I would 100% skate these over a formula four 101.

Firebert

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -39
    • WEEKEND skateboards
« Reply #786 on: September 13, 2017, 07:32:00 AM »

I prefer slimmer wheels so I opt'd for the Radial Slims...Classics are so round to me now.

Classics have a smaller riding surface, so they'll feel faster. I prefer the grip you get from the other shapes personally.
I've hated immigrants ever since I got here.

jamersonbass

• Rep: 11
« Reply #787 on: September 13, 2017, 09:43:53 AM »
I went from classic 99's and 101's, to 101 radial slims, and am currently on 99 conicals.  I really like the radial slims, but a spot popped up a year ago and the ground is super crusty.  It's almost like a comparing a road bike to a mountain bike.  I went with the conicals because they roll over the crusty stuff a lot better.  The spot is a super long, higher than average painted curb and 1 or 2 feet away from where you'd normally land, it's like they pored gravel over the blacktop before it cured.  I call it the gauntlet, hahah.  Radial slims would eventually slow you down to a halt if you rolled into it.  Conical's get through it a lot more effectively.

Big Baby Jesus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 14
  • Jacques Cousteau could never get this low
« Reply #788 on: September 15, 2017, 10:16:43 AM »
I'm sure it should been brought up somewhere among this thread but the search never seems to be helpful... has any one tried Satori wheels? I'm a spitfire loyalist but they have this Marl Watson wheel I find interesting...
Mike-Mo is going to be one of the best if not the best skater of his generation. Barring some kind of career ending injury or drug addiction.

gsosa

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -72
« Reply #789 on: September 15, 2017, 12:21:25 PM »
I'm sure it should been brought up somewhere among this thread but the search never seems to be helpful... has any one tried Satori wheels? I'm a spitfire loyalist but they have this Marl Watson wheel I find interesting...
I had some satoris a couple of years back, they were a danny fuenzalida pro model and boy were they good wheels, slid super well and the slide was definitely really controlled and they lasted a long time. I would definitely recommend them, in fact I think they are the best wheels behind Formula 4s that Ive tried.

Dr. Octagon

« Reply #790 on: September 15, 2017, 01:30:18 PM »

god damn it

perverted super otaku!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -211
  • "Needless to say, I had the last laugh."
« Reply #791 on: September 16, 2017, 05:59:27 AM »
Made the switch back to Bones(SPF) a while ago, and don't think I can ever go back to F4's, they seem to last way longer and dont skid out as much when your turning at higher speeds on shitty ground

TheVisitor

• Rep: -12
« Reply #792 on: September 18, 2017, 06:04:26 PM »
So I started skating again earlier this year and I've noticed that people seem to really like these conical shapes that a lot of companies are putting out. How are they better for street skating vs classic shaped wheels? Are they supposed to make riding over rough terrain easier or locking into slappy grinds easier?
« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 06:23:16 PM by TheVisitor »

Mr. Kamikazi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -27
  • 1,2,3,4, tell the people what she wore...
« Reply #793 on: September 18, 2017, 06:07:27 PM »
sml wheels AG formula size 53.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 666
« Reply #794 on: September 22, 2017, 08:50:45 AM »
I don't think I've mentioned this but I'm skating a bones 81 SPF and they skate good....a hair softer so they don't feel as rattley....

Cherb

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -15
« Reply #795 on: September 22, 2017, 09:09:55 AM »
I don't think I've mentioned this but I'm skating a bones 81 SPF and they skate good....a hair softer so they don't feel as rattley....
My buddy was skating regular SPF's and accidentally bought the 81 SPF's when he got new wheels. He couldn't do any of his revert shit for a few days. It was funny how confused he was.

JerrySeinfeld

• Rep: -5
« Reply #796 on: September 22, 2017, 09:26:20 AM »
I just flat spotted my radial slime doing a bs 180 off a curb. Pretty disappointed since it was my first session with the wheels

JusticeAbberdash

« Reply #797 on: September 22, 2017, 09:41:30 AM »
I just flat spotted my radial slime doing a bs 180 off a curb. Pretty disappointed since it was my first session with the wheels

I can't remember who brought it up a while ago.. But you should usually take some time to break in F4s before you start sliding them around :o

A few people have flatted them, all when brand new! They need to get a bit roughed up before they're flat resistant.

delaware county

• Rep: 4
    • www.kineticskateboarding.com
« Reply #798 on: September 22, 2017, 11:33:22 AM »
Flatspotted the shit out of some OJ's the other day, granted they were just a basic wheel formula(not insaneathane). Anyone on here fuck with Prizefighter? I think I'm gonna give em a try

LennyDLXSF

• Rep: 73
  • Deluxe Customer Service
« Reply #799 on: September 22, 2017, 11:38:09 AM »

Email me please.

[email protected]

Esmith5488

• Rep: -1
« Reply #800 on: September 25, 2017, 01:09:08 PM »
Flatspotted the shit out of some OJ's the other day, granted they were just a basic wheel formula(not insaneathane). Anyone on here fuck with Prizefighter? I think I'm gonna give em a try

had a set a few years ago and its good shit, but this was before F4 so i compare

Randozzi

« Reply #801 on: September 25, 2017, 01:20:32 PM »
Prize Fighter's are great, slide and have grip. F4s are easier to powerslide but the feel and ride is different, PFC's ride a little harder.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 666
« Reply #802 on: September 25, 2017, 01:26:37 PM »
My buddy was skating regular SPF's and accidentally bought the 81 SPF's when he got new wheels. He couldn't do any of his revert shit for a few days. It was funny how confused he was.

I got these on my street set up so like asphalt and stuff...the little bit of softness is nice.....I skate the regs SPF on ramps and yeah a bit stickier for sure but I don't worry if the ramp isn't mopped....

heritage

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 62
« Reply #803 on: September 25, 2017, 01:49:03 PM »
I had some satoris a couple of years back, they were a danny fuenzalida pro model and boy were they good wheels, slid super well and the slide was definitely really controlled and they lasted a long time. I would definitely recommend them

+1 for Satori, really underrated wheels. Almost impossible to find these days. I'm actually putting a set of Fuenz 52s on my next board. I was riding Satori Guru 82b and I loved those too but decided to size down from 54.

So I started skating again earlier this year and I've noticed that people seem to really like these conical shapes that a lot of companies are putting out. How are they better for street skating vs classic shaped wheels? Are they supposed to make riding over rough terrain easier or locking into slappy grinds easier?

That's a great question and truthfully it all comes down to personal preference. There is science behind contact patch and how it relates to controlling slides, etc., but it really is all about personal preference. I used to skate wide wheels and conical cuts but I love skinny wheels these days. My favorite wheel shape is thin with a tablet cut, Autobahn ABX and those Ricta NRG for instance. To your point, it does seem like wider wheels are all the rage at the moment.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 01:54:37 PM by heritage »

Gay Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -384
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #804 on: September 25, 2017, 05:30:21 PM »
they'll rattle your teeth out but I guess some people like that. My wife has some (of my old ones) on her board and they look huge width-wise now that I'm skating radial slims :o Also, are they still in business? Haven't seen a release from them in a minute

"This is untrue, my client has not been attacked in every country" #yearoftheeagle

NowhereInLife

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 6
« Reply #805 on: September 25, 2017, 06:57:17 PM »

I got these on my street set up so like asphalt and stuff...the little bit of softness is nice.....I skate the regs SPF on ramps and yeah a bit stickier for sure but I don't worry if the ramp isn't mopped....
Yes they are not as glidey on shittier asphalt than stf coz less rebound, but on decent ground a hard fast long great roll that is just a little less harsh or something.  grippy af at first but hey loosen up.

JusticeAbberdash

« Reply #806 on: September 25, 2017, 07:10:28 PM »
I had some satoris a couple of years back, they were a danny fuenzalida pro model and boy were they good wheels, slid super well and the slide was definitely really controlled and they lasted a long time. I would definitely recommend them

+1 for Satori, really underrated wheels. Almost impossible to find these days. I'm actually putting a set of Fuenz 52s on my next board. I was riding Satori Guru 82b and I loved those too but decided to size down from 54.

That's a great question and truthfully it all comes down to personal preference. There is science behind contact patch and how it relates to controlling slides, etc., but it really is all about personal preference. I used to skate wide wheels and conical cuts but I love skinny wheels these days. My favorite wheel shape is thin with a tablet cut, Autobahn ABX and those Ricta NRG for instance. To your point, it does seem like wider wheels are all the rage at the moment.

I can never tell how I feel about wide wheels, so I keep it to classic or radial. I've never been able to comfortably slide with wide wheels, maybe its just a psychological thing ??? Thin wheels are too slippery for me.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 43
« Reply #807 on: September 25, 2017, 08:51:26 PM »

I can never tell how I feel about wide wheels, so I keep it to classic or radial. I've never been able to comfortably slide with wide wheels, maybe its just a psychological thing ??? Thin wheels are too slippery for me.

Probably, cuz a bigger surface area does not increase the coefficient of friction.

Randozzi

« Reply #808 on: September 26, 2017, 01:02:04 AM »
they'll rattle your teeth out but I guess some people like that. My wife has some (of my old ones) on her board and they look huge width-wise now that I'm skating radial slims :o Also, are they still in business? Haven't seen a release from them in a minute
Nope, they are still around just only a couple sizes available right now.

http://www.prizefightercutlery.com

Xen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 7
« Reply #809 on: October 03, 2017, 08:10:23 PM »

Same here, don't forget Bones V2s (thinking about grabbing a set as all the ricta nrg/naturals are getting wiiiiiide too =(