Author Topic: Wheels Thread  (Read 777989 times)

FirstBlood82 and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

jamersonbass

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 70
Re: Wheels Thread
« Reply #780 on: September 13, 2017, 09:43:53 AM »
I went from classic 99's and 101's, to 101 radial slims, and am currently on 99 conicals.  I really like the radial slims, but a spot popped up a year ago and the ground is super crusty.  It's almost like a comparing a road bike to a mountain bike.  I went with the conicals because they roll over the crusty stuff a lot better.  The spot is a super long, higher than average painted curb and 1 or 2 feet away from where you'd normally land, it's like they pored gravel over the blacktop before it cured.  I call it the gauntlet, hahah.  Radial slims would eventually slow you down to a halt if you rolled into it.  Conical's get through it a lot more effectively.

Big Baby Jesus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 268
    • Suciu avatar image
« Reply #781 on: September 15, 2017, 10:16:43 AM »
I'm sure it should been brought up somewhere among this thread but the search never seems to be helpful... has any one tried Satori wheels? I'm a spitfire loyalist but they have this Marl Watson wheel I find interesting...
flat spotted 3 times in 2 weeks, other than that awesome wheels

Baby is gonna be raised by Max and Cyrus

gsosa

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 290
« Reply #782 on: September 15, 2017, 12:21:25 PM »
I'm sure it should been brought up somewhere among this thread but the search never seems to be helpful... has any one tried Satori wheels? I'm a spitfire loyalist but they have this Marl Watson wheel I find interesting...
I had some satoris a couple of years back, they were a danny fuenzalida pro model and boy were they good wheels, slid super well and the slide was definitely really controlled and they lasted a long time. I would definitely recommend them, in fact I think they are the best wheels behind Formula 4s that Ive tried.

Dr. Octagon

« Reply #783 on: September 15, 2017, 01:30:18 PM »

god damn it

perverted super otaku!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -217
  • "Needless to say, I had the last laugh."
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #784 on: September 16, 2017, 05:59:27 AM »
Made the switch back to Bones(SPF) a while ago, and don't think I can ever go back to F4's, they seem to last way longer and dont skid out as much when your turning at higher speeds on shitty ground

TheVisitor

• Rep: -13
« Reply #785 on: September 18, 2017, 06:04:26 PM »
So I started skating again earlier this year and I've noticed that people seem to really like these conical shapes that a lot of companies are putting out. How are they better for street skating vs classic shaped wheels? Are they supposed to make riding over rough terrain easier or locking into slappy grinds easier?
« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 06:23:16 PM by TheVisitor »

Mr. Kamikazi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -116
  • 1,2,3,4, tell the people what she wore...
« Reply #786 on: September 18, 2017, 06:07:27 PM »
sml wheels AG formula size 53.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #787 on: September 22, 2017, 08:50:45 AM »
I don't think I've mentioned this but I'm skating a bones 81 SPF and they skate good....a hair softer so they don't feel as rattley....

Cherb

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -19
« Reply #788 on: September 22, 2017, 09:09:55 AM »
I don't think I've mentioned this but I'm skating a bones 81 SPF and they skate good....a hair softer so they don't feel as rattley....
My buddy was skating regular SPF's and accidentally bought the 81 SPF's when he got new wheels. He couldn't do any of his revert shit for a few days. It was funny how confused he was.

JerrySeinfeld

• Rep: -3
« Reply #789 on: September 22, 2017, 09:26:20 AM »
I just flat spotted my radial slime doing a bs 180 off a curb. Pretty disappointed since it was my first session with the wheels

JusticeAbberdash

« Reply #790 on: September 22, 2017, 09:41:30 AM »
I just flat spotted my radial slime doing a bs 180 off a curb. Pretty disappointed since it was my first session with the wheels

I can't remember who brought it up a while ago.. But you should usually take some time to break in F4s before you start sliding them around :o

A few people have flatted them, all when brand new! They need to get a bit roughed up before they're flat resistant.

delaware county

• Rep: 24
    • www.kineticskateboarding.com avatar image
« Reply #791 on: September 22, 2017, 11:33:22 AM »
Flatspotted the shit out of some OJ's the other day, granted they were just a basic wheel formula(not insaneathane). Anyone on here fuck with Prizefighter? I think I'm gonna give em a try

LennyDLXSF

• Rep: 77
  • Deluxe Customer Service
« Reply #792 on: September 22, 2017, 11:38:09 AM »

Email me please.

[email protected]

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 390
« Reply #793 on: September 25, 2017, 01:09:08 PM »
Flatspotted the shit out of some OJ's the other day, granted they were just a basic wheel formula(not insaneathane). Anyone on here fuck with Prizefighter? I think I'm gonna give em a try

had a set a few years ago and its good shit, but this was before F4 so i compare

Randozzi

« Reply #794 on: September 25, 2017, 01:20:32 PM »
Prize Fighter's are great, slide and have grip. F4s are easier to powerslide but the feel and ride is different, PFC's ride a little harder.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #795 on: September 25, 2017, 01:26:37 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
My buddy was skating regular SPF's and accidentally bought the 81 SPF's when he got new wheels. He couldn't do any of his revert shit for a few days. It was funny how confused he was.

I got these on my street set up so like asphalt and stuff...the little bit of softness is nice.....I skate the regs SPF on ramps and yeah a bit stickier for sure but I don't worry if the ramp isn't mopped....

heritage

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 98
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #796 on: September 25, 2017, 01:49:03 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I had some satoris a couple of years back, they were a danny fuenzalida pro model and boy were they good wheels, slid super well and the slide was definitely really controlled and they lasted a long time. I would definitely recommend them

+1 for Satori, really underrated wheels. Almost impossible to find these days. I'm actually putting a set of Fuenz 52s on my next board. I was riding Satori Guru 82b and I loved those too but decided to size down from 54.

So I started skating again earlier this year and I've noticed that people seem to really like these conical shapes that a lot of companies are putting out. How are they better for street skating vs classic shaped wheels? Are they supposed to make riding over rough terrain easier or locking into slappy grinds easier?

That's a great question and truthfully it all comes down to personal preference. There is science behind contact patch and how it relates to controlling slides, etc., but it really is all about personal preference. I used to skate wide wheels and conical cuts but I love skinny wheels these days. My favorite wheel shape is thin with a tablet cut, Autobahn ABX and those Ricta NRG for instance. To your point, it does seem like wider wheels are all the rage at the moment.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 01:54:37 PM by heritage »

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 75
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #797 on: September 25, 2017, 05:30:21 PM »
they'll rattle your teeth out but I guess some people like that. My wife has some (of my old ones) on her board and they look huge width-wise now that I'm skating radial slims :o Also, are they still in business? Haven't seen a release from them in a minute

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

NowhereInLife

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 20
« Reply #798 on: September 25, 2017, 06:57:17 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

I got these on my street set up so like asphalt and stuff...the little bit of softness is nice.....I skate the regs SPF on ramps and yeah a bit stickier for sure but I don't worry if the ramp isn't mopped....
Yes they are not as glidey on shittier asphalt than stf coz less rebound, but on decent ground a hard fast long great roll that is just a little less harsh or something.  grippy af at first but hey loosen up.

JusticeAbberdash

« Reply #799 on: September 25, 2017, 07:10:28 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
I had some satoris a couple of years back, they were a danny fuenzalida pro model and boy were they good wheels, slid super well and the slide was definitely really controlled and they lasted a long time. I would definitely recommend them
[close]

+1 for Satori, really underrated wheels. Almost impossible to find these days. I'm actually putting a set of Fuenz 52s on my next board. I was riding Satori Guru 82b and I loved those too but decided to size down from 54.

Expand Quote
[close]

That's a great question and truthfully it all comes down to personal preference. There is science behind contact patch and how it relates to controlling slides, etc., but it really is all about personal preference. I used to skate wide wheels and conical cuts but I love skinny wheels these days. My favorite wheel shape is thin with a tablet cut, Autobahn ABX and those Ricta NRG for instance. To your point, it does seem like wider wheels are all the rage at the moment.

I can never tell how I feel about wide wheels, so I keep it to classic or radial. I've never been able to comfortably slide with wide wheels, maybe its just a psychological thing ??? Thin wheels are too slippery for me.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #800 on: September 25, 2017, 08:51:26 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I can never tell how I feel about wide wheels, so I keep it to classic or radial. I've never been able to comfortably slide with wide wheels, maybe its just a psychological thing ??? Thin wheels are too slippery for me.

Probably, cuz a bigger surface area does not increase the coefficient of friction.

Randozzi

« Reply #801 on: September 26, 2017, 01:02:04 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
they'll rattle your teeth out but I guess some people like that. My wife has some (of my old ones) on her board and they look huge width-wise now that I'm skating radial slims :o Also, are they still in business? Haven't seen a release from them in a minute
Nope, they are still around just only a couple sizes available right now.

http://www.prizefightercutlery.com

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 938
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #802 on: October 03, 2017, 08:10:23 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Expand Quote
[close]

Same here, don't forget Bones V2s (thinking about grabbing a set as all the ricta nrg/naturals are getting wiiiiiide too =(

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
« Reply #803 on: October 03, 2017, 08:45:00 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Same here, don't forget Bones V2s (thinking about grabbing a set as all the ricta nrg/naturals are getting wiiiiiide too =(

Are you talking about riding surface or the width of the wheel? I recently had an unopened set of 54mm stf v5s and an unopened set of 53mm stf v2s and the riding surface of the v2s was actually a little wider than the v5s. Theyre square cut but the contact patch isn't by any means that thin.

calvinsdream

« Reply #804 on: October 04, 2017, 08:47:16 AM »
I remember going through some thing on longboard wheels (those nerds write about everything) where it was saying that wider wheels both break into slides easier (but also don't break back out of slides as easy), and while there is equivalent friction between wide wheels and skinny wheels, that wide wheels have less pressure vs. surface area, allowing them to roll over rough ground and bumps without losing as much speed.

the snake

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 348
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #805 on: October 04, 2017, 11:39:03 AM »

Are you talking about riding surface or the width of the wheel? I recently had an unopened set of 54mm stf v5s and an unopened set of 53mm stf v2s and the riding surface of the v2s was actually a little wider than the v5s. Theyre square cut but the contact patch isn't by any means that thin.
give us the dimensions please

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
« Reply #806 on: October 04, 2017, 11:54:18 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I gave the v2s to a friend, but if you look closely at this picture, https://bones.com/media/wysiwyg/boneswheels/why/BONES_STF_shapes_2017.jpg, you'll notice that though the v5s are wider, the actual contact patch is a little thinner than the v2s, just by a tiny bit though.

patrick c.

• Rep: 23
« Reply #807 on: October 04, 2017, 11:57:24 AM »
that wide wheels have less pressure vs. surface area, allowing them to roll over rough ground and bumps without losing as much speed.
All you got is today, get out and skate.

the snake

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 348
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #808 on: October 04, 2017, 12:29:53 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

I gave the v2s to a friend, but if you look closely at this picture, https://bones.com/media/wysiwyg/boneswheels/why/BONES_STF_shapes_2017.jpg, you'll notice that though the v5s are wider, the actual contact patch is a little thinner than the v2s, just by a tiny bit though.
2mm...yeah that's a thin difference
riding some classic full 101a for 10 months, they're great on all terrains, only 3mm down !

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 938
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #809 on: October 05, 2017, 09:28:33 AM »
The v5s are wider because of the lip of the wheel, supposedly to help you roll over the coping and lock in for bowls; only difference in the cut and 'function' compared to the V2.

Riding 52mm V5s in a transition focused park atm - most people here ride SPF P5s (very close in shape as the V5s but a tad less round on the lip).

I'm trying to find the SPF P1s in 53mm but they're discontinued and tough to find to have some smaller SPFs as wearing down bigger ones takes forever.