Author Topic: Wheels Thread  (Read 777638 times)

Mulldrifter and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 517
Re: Wheels Thread
« Reply #900 on: December 05, 2017, 10:36:27 PM »
Expand Quote
What is the optimal wheel size/hardness for street skating crusty ass spots. I'm skating some 49mm right now but they aren't cutting it on regular asphalt or anything that isn't smooth skatepark surface. Losing too much speed despite the fact that I'm running Bones Swiss. I was thinking 52/53mm with 99A hardness would be good?

Always wondered what size wheels those GX1000 and LurkNYC dudes rode. Same thing with Palace, I know some of those London spots are crusty as fuck.
[close]

It may sound off but definitely some 53/54 bones stf, the formula is great against crusty terrain and getting and holding speed, so far from my experience(2/3 years of at least 4/5 sets of formula fours in all the major shapes) formula fours are just good for sliding and that’s it, speed and rebound definitely goto bones stf.

I skate long distances and I use to think bones were plasticy and hard but skating these distances got me curious and I swapped wheels to wheels(spitfire f4, classics, gold, pig, oj classic and insane a thane, bones and mini logo) and so far bones stf took rough road and held its speed and retained it even better on smooth sidewalk.

Bones has been making wheels since the beginning and they made the perfect street wheel, it’s half smooth like a cruiser wheel but still hard enough to slide like a street wheel

I agree with the sentiment that bones stfs are more forgiving on rough terrain, they almost feel soft(perhaps absorbent is a better word to describe it... idk), though they're obviously not as they're 83b. I also actually prefer the slide of stfs over 99 f4s too, the screech is less high pitched and feels more controllable to me. Just not a fan of how plasticky they feel, despite their performance.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 10:38:50 PM by tzhangdox »

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #901 on: December 05, 2017, 11:06:52 PM »
Want to try something other than f4s and stf variants. Had ricta nrgs once and while they were fast wasn't a fan of how they slid, similar story with autobahns.

Thinking about getting either oj insaneathanes, smls, waywards(99 or 101 not sure yet), or crupies. Anyone have any input on those options or have any other suggestions? Ideally something that stays white, holds speed well and slides on ledges good but is also forgiving on shit ground.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 11:48:57 PM by tzhangdox »

Randozzi

« Reply #902 on: December 05, 2017, 11:12:30 PM »
Been skating Prize Fighter Cutlery 54mm on the rough ground of the Pacific Northwest. They are 101s but don't rattle your bones like some others do. They slide great and grip when you need them to. I put them up there with F4s but I'm a little biased.

commander jameson

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 72
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #903 on: December 06, 2017, 01:28:47 AM »
Want to try something other than f4s and stf variants. Had ricta nrgs once and while they were fast wasn't a fan of how they slid, similar story with autobahns.

Thinking about getting either oj insaneathanes, smls, waywards(99 or 101 not sure yet), or crupies. Anyone have any input on those options or have any other suggestions? Ideally something that stays white, holds speed well and slides on ledges good but is also forgiving on shit ground.

I skated only Bones STF for long time. Recently tried Crupies and I was so impressed with them that I bought couple more sets during Black Friday sales.
Great wheels at great price. They are almost two times cheaper and they are on par with STF (haven't tried F4 yet). Slide well, fast and durable.

tangar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 64
  • THINK LESS
« Reply #904 on: December 06, 2017, 04:24:12 PM »
I would recommend Wayward 101s to anyone looking to try  something new. I’m on my third set in a row and I really like them. They seem hard and plasticky for the first couple sessions but once they are broken in they grip really well and keep their slide. I’ve been skating the round slims on street and at skateparks and the only time I’ve slipped out was on the first day of one set.
Man the long board truck thing killed indy for me. I was willing to set aside the racism, but long boarding, gtfo... - DH

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #905 on: December 06, 2017, 05:25:23 PM »
Thanks for the feedback guys, how would you guys say the wayward 101s and crupies compare to 99 or 101 f4s and stfs in terms of slide and grip?

DaSk8D00D

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: -108
  • Can't Leave SLAP Alone the Game Needs Me!
« Reply #906 on: December 06, 2017, 05:47:37 PM »
Thanks for the feedback guys, how would you guys say the wayward 101s and crupies compare to 99 or 101 f4s and stfs in terms of slide and grip?

Compared to F4’s I’d say that Crupies feel somewhere between their 99-101duros. They’re listed as 101’s but they’re not as slippery on smooth surfaces as F4 101’s, or as grippy/forgiving as the 99’s. It’s a really good balance tho. Grinds, powerslides, and tricks that revert across the ground feel great and have a nice squeal to them. Their team is sick too I think they just put Yuri Facchini too. Excellent street wheels and they’re usually a couple dollars cheaper than the competitors as well

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 937
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #907 on: December 06, 2017, 05:55:35 PM »
How do crupies feel in park? Both F4s and waywards feel slow to me (compared to say, OJ insanes, Spfs and RICTA. I'd love to support another small company.

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #908 on: December 06, 2017, 08:31:13 PM »
Thanks guys, just pulled the trigger on some 53mm team logo crupies(the 5 pack), wish my local shop had a bigger range so I could check them out in person and cop. They seem like a slim-ish classic shape. Should be interesting transitioning from my 55mm 99a lock ins which are a little wide for my liking.

Sandboxcop

• Rep: 3
« Reply #909 on: December 07, 2017, 04:26:10 PM »
Just got in some PFC 53's, can't wait to see how they operate

Big Baby Jesus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 268
    • Suciu avatar image
« Reply #910 on: December 08, 2017, 08:16:54 PM »
Always wanted to try PFC. got really worried when they didn't have a drop for a year or so. Down to support Ray though especially after his 500 F episode. Let me know what you think please..
flat spotted 3 times in 2 weeks, other than that awesome wheels

Baby is gonna be raised by Max and Cyrus

SJ

« Reply #911 on: December 08, 2017, 09:22:22 PM »
Has anybody tried the 81b SPFs and if so how do they fare?

My go to wheel for smooth concrete bowls are the 84b SPFs 60mm but whenever I go to a really weathered or spraypainted bowl it feels like I'm skating on ice and it's super slippery so I usually end up switching to 99a conical full formula fours in those instances. The 81B SPFs sound like they would work pretty good for rough bowls but has anybody here had any experience with them?

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #912 on: December 08, 2017, 11:46:34 PM »
How are crupie compared to bones stf?

I feel like they would be like an stf just less plastic feeling and more urethane wheel feeling like a spit classic but obviously better
yes

commander jameson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 72
« Reply #913 on: December 09, 2017, 01:15:58 AM »
How are crupie compared to bones stf?

I feel like they would be like an stf just less plastic feeling and more urethane wheel feeling like a spit classic but obviously better

Spot on.
I was bones stf guy for longest time but crupies are really on par with them costing way less.
Spots I skate are mostly smooth euro plaza stuff or some rough asphalt spots and crupies are great in both cases. Slide well and are durable.
Great quality wheels.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1566
« Reply #914 on: December 10, 2017, 09:39:55 AM »

My go to wheel for smooth concrete bowls are the 84b SPFs 60mm but whenever I go to a really weathered or spraypainted bowl it feels like I'm skating on ice and it's super slippery so I usually end up switching to 99a conical full formula fours in those instances. The 81B SPFs sound like they would work pretty good for rough bowls but has anybody here had any experience with them?

Yah....I think these would be sick....I have a set and I use them for skating just around my house/rougher street....

They feel a bit sticky and dampening....they take the edge off a bit of rougher spots...

I was a big fan of the ditchtech and emailed Powell about it....I think they may look at pushing the hardness up on the rough riders to something which is more conventional....

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #915 on: December 10, 2017, 02:50:12 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Yah....I think these would be sick....I have a set and I use them for skating just around my house/rougher street....

They feel a bit sticky and dampening....they take the edge off a bit of rougher spots...

I was a big fan of the ditchtech and emailed Powell about it....I think they may look at pushing the hardness up on the rough riders to something which is more conventional....

I had 2 sets of Ditch Techs and the 2nd ones just felt way too soft. They may have been slightly wider as well but either way they felt dull and bouncy. Were they 81b?

Didn't know they had a new durometer of SPFs. I don't like the normal ones on my crusty, painted park surface - it feels like they are going to slip out at any moment.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #916 on: December 10, 2017, 06:30:17 PM »
Ditch tech was way softer I'm pretty sure....they were like a 90 something A where the 81's are a 101.

I always found SPF's to be sticky....I skate the regular ones on a slippery ramp and they are great.

Jud Nestorkins

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -59
  • Only YOU can prevent corporate espionage.
« Reply #917 on: December 12, 2017, 08:32:31 PM »
Ditch tech was way softer I'm pretty sure....they were like a 90 something A where the 81's are a 101.

I always found SPF's to be sticky....I skate the regular ones on a slippery ramp and they are great.
I have had multiple sets of STGs and they are icy. However my friend has SPFs and I agree that thy are pretty damn sticky which is weird because they are even harder than STFs. 

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #918 on: December 12, 2017, 08:57:25 PM »
Yah...that's the phenomenon part.....the stickiness makes them feel softer too which is nuts....

I think another option if everything I've said makes no sense is drop to a 97A in like NHS product or a 99 formula 1....

Thomas

• Rep: 20
  • no pop no style
« Reply #919 on: December 13, 2017, 03:58:23 AM »
Are Conical F4 similar to Bones STF V5 in term of size ?
Possibilities are everywhere, search and enjoy.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #920 on: December 13, 2017, 06:23:49 AM »
Are Conical F4 similar to Bones STF V5 in term of size ?

Conicals are a bit wider at the same height.

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 581
« Reply #921 on: December 13, 2017, 01:56:00 PM »
Gave my 101a insaneathanes a go and I'm really stoked on them, kinda slippery at the start especially coming off of skating 99a f4s but I adjusted eventually and got some fun curb tricks.
I got the classic shaped ones and honestly, they'll be like that for a bit then suck at sliding
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

Silky Johnson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1355
« Reply #922 on: December 13, 2017, 02:19:36 PM »
Expand Quote
Gave my 101a insaneathanes a go and I'm really stoked on them, kinda slippery at the start especially coming off of skating 99a f4s but I adjusted eventually and got some fun curb tricks.
[close]
I got the classic shaped ones and honestly, they'll be like that for a bit then suck at sliding
Damn well I'll enjoy them for now I guess, but no complaints for a wheel I picked up for $20

Nallid

• Rep: -14
« Reply #923 on: December 14, 2017, 09:27:41 PM »
I bought Crupies. 53 Sarmientos, they were like $22. Am I going to slip out and die tomorrow?

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #924 on: December 15, 2017, 03:45:49 PM »
Skated my crupies a few times, not too impressed right now to be honest. Maybe it will be better when the tread goes away though. Slide feels nice on the right asphalt, but some concrete sidewalks it almost doesnt slide at all. Definitely a bit unpredictable. Breaking into the slide is also a bit inconsistent. I got the apex logo 5 pack, 53mm and they are ridiculously slim. The riding surface is exactly half the riding surface on my 55mm lock ins which I was skating prior to this, also significantly slimmer than 54mm f4 classics. As a result, you can definitely feel it struggling on shitty ground, loses speed easily. Feels amazing on smooth park ground though. Really hoping the slide becomes better once the tread wears away.

DaSk8D00D

• Rep: -108
  • Can't Leave SLAP Alone the Game Needs Me!
« Reply #925 on: December 15, 2017, 05:08:28 PM »
Yeah I know what you mean about the tread, they definitely slide better once it’s worn down. I grabbed the Ribeiro & Tiago wheels not only cuz they’re some of favorite pros but because their particular models also have a wider riding surface than the “team” wheels by a couple millimeters or so. They have measurements listed on their site when you go to shop so I’d use that as a guide before buying some

fulfillthedream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 305
« Reply #926 on: December 15, 2017, 10:02:22 PM »
all ive skated are f4's since 2013.. i can't imagine ever wanting to try anything else  :-X
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #927 on: December 16, 2017, 01:55:17 AM »
all ive skated are f4's since 2013.. i can't imagine ever wanting to try anything else  :-X

That’s what I thought too when I first got a set from jim himself but sadly 5 sets later I realized how slow and jittery f4’s are compared to bones stf, the stf are faster, retain speed better, and rebound better and definitely way smoother

So glad to hear more about crupie cause I was in such a rut thinking about them and if I should try them and now I know I’m just gonna stick to my bones until they possibly restock on wreck at some point
yes

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #928 on: December 18, 2017, 10:41:08 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

That’s what I thought too when I first got a set from jim himself but sadly 5 sets later I realized how slow and jittery f4’s are compared to bones stf, the stf are faster, retain speed better, and rebound better and definitely way smoother

So glad to hear more about crupie cause I was in such a rut thinking about them and if I should try them and now I know I’m just gonna stick to my bones until they possibly restock on wreck at some point

I feel like this is troll bait :)

Wrecks just take too much effort to slide, otherwise decent (I was a fan).

nsskater1993

• Rep: 1
« Reply #929 on: December 18, 2017, 03:21:28 PM »
Hey Slap!

Thinking about ordering some new wheels for Christmas. Basically I have the option of some spitfire f4 classic shapes (99s or 101) for 45$ CAD Some OJ ez edge insaneathane team rider 101a 54mm for 31$ CAD Or some Bones STF for 31-35$ CAD.

The fact that I've already tried stf's and f4's has me leaning towards the OJ's to try something new. I really like F4's, and find their slide and feel to be really nice. I could also satisfy my want to try something new by trying a different duro of spits (my first set was 99a, could switch it up to 101's) or a different shape of STF's (first set was the V1, have the option to buy some v2's) although I'm sure the difference isn't very big.

I was hoping some of you could help me make a decision, as I'm not sure what to go for. The OJ's and Bones are cheaper, so if I liked them I'd be saving some coin. I am really used to the f4's though, and I don't know if I should stray away from the tried and true. Anybody with experience on OJ's insaneathane able to weigh in on this situation? any help is appreciated, thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 03:24:09 PM by nsskater1993 »