Author Topic: Wheels Thread  (Read 778555 times)

Gino's Back 180 Nosegrind

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 34
Re: Wheels Thread
« Reply #930 on: December 18, 2017, 06:04:33 PM »
Hey Slap!

Thinking about ordering some new wheels for Christmas. Basically I have the option of some spitfire f4 classic shapes (99s or 101) for 45$ CAD Some OJ ez edge insaneathane team rider 101a 54mm for 31$ CAD Or some Bones STF for 31-35$ CAD.

The fact that I've already tried stf's and f4's has me leaning towards the OJ's to try something new. I really like F4's, and find their slide and feel to be really nice. I could also satisfy my want to try something new by trying a different duro of spits (my first set was 99a, could switch it up to 101's) or a different shape of STF's (first set was the V1, have the option to buy some v2's) although I'm sure the difference isn't very big.

I was hoping some of you could help me make a decision, as I'm not sure what to go for. The OJ's and Bones are cheaper, so if I liked them I'd be saving some coin. I am really used to the f4's though, and I don't know if I should stray away from the tried and true. Anybody with experience on OJ's insaneathane able to weigh in on this situation? any help is appreciated, thanks in advance.

If you have absolutely no complaints with F4's you probably won't find a better wheel. I've had all 3. Bones are too slide-y for me and insaneathanes were chalky and didn't slide enough. F4's are perfect for me. I ride 99a 54mm and try to skate as much street as I can.

rob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #931 on: December 18, 2017, 06:26:15 PM »
Don’t get oj, they feel good and smooth like a bones stf but they are slow as balls! Literally so slow it’s sad such a cool wheel brand has such trash wheels.

Seriously if your going for a trick up a bank your not gonna make it unless you push hard

Nah no troll bait, I wanna try wreck with all their comparisons and claims being the worlds best urethane and backed by years of experience with darkstars famous urethane formulas, they look like a more slidy stf but hopefully we’ll see
yes

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 940
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #932 on: December 18, 2017, 07:49:23 PM »
Don’t get oj, they feel good and smooth like a bones stf but they are slow as balls! Literally so slow it’s sad such a cool wheel brand has such trash wheels.

Seriously if your going for a trick up a bank your not gonna make it unless you push hard

Nah no troll bait, I wanna try wreck with all their comparisons and claims being the worlds best urethane and backed by years of experience with darkstars famous urethane formulas, they look like a more slidy stf but hopefully we’ll see

OJ Insane a thane is awesome, way better than regular OJ thane.

Wrecks are NOT a more slidy STF, quite the opposite.

nsskater1993

• Rep: 1
« Reply #933 on: December 18, 2017, 08:27:58 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

OJ Insane a thane is awesome, way better than regular OJ thane.

Wrecks are NOT a more slidy STF, quite the opposite.

Haha this is why I had to ask! I noticed a lot of differing opinions around the net, and don't really know enough people with experience on OJ's to ask anyone personally. For every two or three people that say oj's wheels suck I see someone saying that the insaneathane's are pretty good. Any word on how you'd compare them to F4's? I really want to give them a shot, I know they back some rad skaters and have a pretty big history in the industry. Just not sure if that's worth ditching what I know I like. The madness is real..
« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 08:31:53 PM by nsskater1993 »

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #934 on: December 18, 2017, 09:49:45 PM »
Sorry xen but ima have to disagree with the oj still, I have the insane a thane 99 and I liked them until I noticed how slow they are

Stay safe and get f4 or stf, my preference is stf because they’re just overall good on speed, rebound, and slide.

F4 are like I said really slidy but speed and rebound I did not like

I skate street 99% of the time btw, not really or ever been a park monger
yes

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #935 on: December 18, 2017, 10:16:53 PM »
Sorry xen but ima have to disagree with the oj still, I have the insane a thane 99 and I liked them until I noticed how slow they are

Stay safe and get f4 or stf, my preference is stf because they’re just overall good on speed, rebound, and slide.

I too, have ridden them all.

Enjoy those wrecks, maybe you can set them up on your Industrials?  :o

Trashcon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 109
« Reply #936 on: December 18, 2017, 11:01:11 PM »
Been riding Ricta 51 Speed Rings for a while now.

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #937 on: December 18, 2017, 11:08:07 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I too, have ridden them all.

Enjoy those wrecks, maybe you can set them up on your Industrials?  :o

Haha I was thinking to try some since they’re so cheap too but they just look like a Indy stage 10 knock off so meh maybe one day
yes

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1034
« Reply #938 on: December 19, 2017, 07:25:26 AM »

What do you think? I had a pair, then bought some bones spf, and liked the speed rings better, then bought another pair, then bought f4's.

I liked the speed rings better both times but gave them away. I can't find them anymore so now I bought some ricta 101a naturals

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #939 on: December 19, 2017, 02:31:37 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

What do you think? I had a pair, then bought some bones spf, and liked the speed rings better, then bought another pair, then bought f4's.

I liked the speed rings better both times but gave them away. I can't find them anymore so now I bought some ricta 101a naturals

I loved me some speed rings, had better thane than the chrome cores, but they flatted easy in parks. Been wanting to snag some naturals but they are much too wide for my liking.

colt cannon lunchbox

• Rep: -92
« Reply #940 on: December 22, 2017, 04:08:21 PM »
Can wheels spoil? Eyeing off some autobahns atm that I am certain have been sitting in a cabinet for at least 5 years

nopes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 85
  • Bob loseedo wears a speedo
« Reply #941 on: December 22, 2017, 04:48:01 PM »
shit i hope not because i have 3 sets of 15 year old autobahns still in shrink wrap sitting in my basement.

JusticeAbberdash

« Reply #942 on: December 22, 2017, 07:42:49 PM »
How long is urethane supposed to stay stable and fresh?

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1034
« Reply #943 on: December 22, 2017, 08:14:25 PM »
I thought you were suppose to keep them in the freezer so they won’t spoil

JusticeAbberdash

« Reply #944 on: December 22, 2017, 09:09:36 PM »
Spitfires turn into rocks when they get old. What happens to bones when they're past the expiration date?

Deekay

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
« Reply #945 on: December 23, 2017, 05:44:49 AM »
I can only speak for Spits but if you go from a newer set of wheels to a set that's been sititing a while.. You'll think you put clay on there instead of wheels, so goddamn slow.

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #946 on: December 23, 2017, 06:10:08 AM »
updated review on my g slides.  -they are cool.  They aren't too boingee but there's no way to really slide them.  I think longboarders can slide them but I can't.
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

JusticeAbberdash

« Reply #947 on: December 23, 2017, 08:25:43 AM »
updated review on my g slides.  -they are cool.  They aren't too boingee but there's no way to really slide them.  I think longboarders can slide them but I can't.

Longboarders could slide a 50a wheel..

Skateboarders complain that 101a's are too sticky.

Budgie Lasek

« Reply #948 on: December 23, 2017, 12:02:13 PM »

Regular OJ's are the standard Creative Urethanes compound that is used for a lot of brands. It's garbage. Slow, flatspots very easily, and yellows fast. When I worked in distribution it seemed like any random company who wanted some wheels got them made there, and they always sucked. Momentum used them for years, maybe they still do.

Spitfire F4s are ok, but I can't get down with brand new wheels looking like they're 3 years old and yellowed to shit... and they aren't quite on the quality level of Bones. I rode a few pairs, still flat spotted them, and was happy to get back on STFs.

JusticeAbberdash

« Reply #949 on: December 23, 2017, 12:12:57 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Regular OJ's are the standard Creative Urethanes compound that is used for a lot of brands. It's garbage. Slow, flatspots very easily, and yellows fast. When I worked in distribution it seemed like any random company who wanted some wheels got them made there, and they always sucked. Momentum used them for years, maybe they still do.

Spitfire F4s are ok, but I can't get down with brand new wheels looking like they're 3 years old and yellowed to shit... and they aren't quite on the quality level of Bones. I rode a few pairs, still flat spotted them, and was happy to get back on STFs.

This fits with a lot of peoples thinking. Bones doesn't need to put so much effort into advertising.. They've been working on their urethane for years, spits just barely figured out how to mix things right.

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #950 on: December 23, 2017, 12:41:41 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

This fits with a lot of peoples thinking. Bones doesn't need to put so much effort into advertising.. They've been working on their urethane for years, spits just barely figured out how to mix things right.

That’s what I’m sayin  ;D

And that’s why I wanna try wreck, chet Thomas who made them was doing darkstar wheels before and has 30 years of wheel making experience claims “the worlds best urethane” on these so let’s see if this is true but xen disagrees and he has tried them so idk

I really just love the way bones stf grips and rolls/feels like a soft wheel but still slide easier than the standard 99a even 101a wheels AND how they rebound, they don’t bounce and jitter like crazy on bad ground they’re like cruiser wheels almost and just roll through it as smooth as a street wheel could possibly

That was one of my biggest turn offs to f4 was the lack of speed/free roll(distance after pushing really) and resistance to harsh ground, slides better and feels like a real urethane wheel but not as fast and smooth as bones stf

yes

Budgie Lasek

« Reply #951 on: December 23, 2017, 02:06:49 PM »
I look at it like this - Spitfire is a 'cooler' brand with better art direction, marketing and team etc. Bones is Powell, so less cool points, but way more experience developing wheel compounds and pretty much all emphasis put on quality and innovation. The wheels are better, period. Spitfire could only get close by selling wheels that come already brown, and they don't have nearly the longevity that a pair of Bones does. I'm always amazed at how long I end up riding a set.

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #952 on: December 23, 2017, 04:21:03 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I'm starting to think hard skinny 62mms would be better for shitty ground than softer 56mms cause I could still slide.
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

Cherb

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -19
« Reply #953 on: December 23, 2017, 04:24:24 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

seriously. I bought some 86a wheels that are supposed to be amazing for slides but i couldn't slide them if my life depended on it.

SJ

« Reply #954 on: December 26, 2017, 09:44:04 PM »
Has anybody tried Alta wheels? They have some heavy hitters on their team so I was wondering how the wheels perform for transition skating.

Sandboxcop

• Rep: 3
« Reply #955 on: December 27, 2017, 07:00:44 AM »
Always wanted to try PFC. got really worried when they didn't have a drop for a year or so. Down to support Ray though especially after his 500 F episode. Let me know what you think please..

Only skated them for 2 sessions but I like them, I usually dont run 101's but they slid well and were faster than the sml's I had on. Nice and wide too if that's your bag

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #956 on: December 28, 2017, 02:42:29 PM »
How are waywards and Portland wheel company’s ?

I heard good things about wayward but I feel since I’m good with bones why even try another wheel when they’re bones
yes

Cherb

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -19
« Reply #957 on: December 28, 2017, 03:01:26 PM »

I heard good things about wayward but I feel since I’m good with bones why even try another wheel when they’re bones
I believe people compare wayward to spitfire f4's.

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #958 on: December 28, 2017, 05:32:01 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
I believe people compare wayward to spitfire f4's.

Yeah last I read it was mentioned they’re like between 99 and 101 f4 and I can tell they’re good maybe better than f4’s but I’m very fond of my bones and they way they feel and roll.

Really though for me it’s about speed and rebound than slide or much else, cause every wheel I’ve tried compared to bones stf feel so slow, 101 f4, 99 f4, even when I had 54mm radials(not the slim) still slow, oj insane a thane 99 I had high hopes but way slower even slower than f4, gold was basically a harder classic, pig we’re just rocks, spit classic are eh kinda slow, ricta NRG is a gimmick, and bones100/mini logo were ok but still not as fast and good roll time as stf

I kinda miss the feel of a more natural urethane but I can’t stand the lag
yes

tangar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 64
  • THINK LESS
« Reply #959 on: December 28, 2017, 09:37:03 PM »
^ if you couldn’t get any of those wheels to “feel” fast, I’m pretty sure you just need to push harder. I just ordered some Powerflex 52mm Gumballs On tactics with the extra 10% off sale shit. Will keep you guys posted on how they are.
Man the long board truck thing killed indy for me. I was willing to set aside the racism, but long boarding, gtfo... - DH