Author Topic: Wheels Thread  (Read 777766 times)

rob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • Lance Mountain
Re: Wheels Thread
« Reply #960 on: December 28, 2017, 10:03:56 PM »
^ if you couldn’t get any of those wheels to “feel” fast, I’m pretty sure you just need to push harder. I just ordered some Powerflex 52mm Gumballs On tactics with the extra 10% off sale shit. Will keep you guys posted on how they are.

But how much energy should you waste with slow wheels to get a trick Especially up banks or over stuff, like for me it’s how much speed is loss on rough ground that ticks me and how much the wheels jitter as I set up
yes

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
« Reply #961 on: December 28, 2017, 11:09:27 PM »
Expand Quote
^ if you couldn’t get any of those wheels to “feel” fast, I’m pretty sure you just need to push harder. I just ordered some Powerflex 52mm Gumballs On tactics with the extra 10% off sale shit. Will keep you guys posted on how they are.
[close]

But how much energy should you waste with slow wheels to get a trick Especially up banks or over stuff, like for me it’s how much speed is loss on rough ground that ticks me and how much the wheels jitter as I set up

It might just be in my head, but I kind of agree that stfs hold their speed a little better. But how bad is the ground you skate? It really shouldn't be that much of a difference if nobody else has ever bought it up. If you skate really shitty ground then it might help more to get a wider wheel.

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #962 on: December 28, 2017, 11:19:01 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

It might just be in my head, but I kind of agree that stfs hold their speed a little better. But how bad is the ground you skate? It really shouldn't be that much of a difference if nobody else has ever bought it up. If you skate really shitty ground then it might help more to get a wider wheel.

Kinda bad, gets rough here and there half the time street skating spot to spot

They do retain speed, is not in your head cause I don’t drive much and everything is close to me even work is 20-30 min skating so I just skate while on my way to work and when I was getting wheel madness and swapping f4(different shapes and duro) and then even trying ricta nrg and oj insaneathane they did not even compare to how easy the ride was with my stf’s on

I regretted buying so many f4’s after realizing yeah the stf’s did have a moment of plastic feel compared to spits urethane feel but when you get use to it after 20 min of skating you feel how soft and nice stf’s actually are and how fast and long they roll for a street wheel

I tried wide wheels too and it didn’t do almost anything, f4 53mm conical full 101 and regular 54mm radial 99
« Last Edit: December 28, 2017, 11:23:07 PM by rob »
yes

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #963 on: December 28, 2017, 11:22:07 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

They do retain speed, is not in your head cause I don’t drive much and everything is close to me even work is 20-30 min skating so I just skate while on my way to work and when I was getting wheel madness and swapping f4(different shapes and duro) and then even trying ricta nrg and oj insaneathane they did not even compare to how easy the ride was with my stf’s on

I regretted buying so many f4’s after realizing yeah the stf’s did have a moment of plastic feel compared to spits urethane feel but when you get use to it after 20 min of skating you feel how soft and nice stf’s actually are and how fast and long they roll for a street wheel

What stf shape do you skate? If the ground is really that bad then I feel like conical fulls should be okay, I don't think any stf gets that wide.

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #964 on: December 29, 2017, 01:03:39 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

What stf shape do you skate? If the ground is really that bad then I feel like conical fulls should be okay, I don't think any stf gets that wide.

Tried them and they were still ass, especially for slides feeling sticky and when it slid it would slip

I mainly go for the middle ground v1 for size and weight. I had the widest v4 shape but they were kinda heavy

But yeah I usually go for the v1 might try v2 again for helping to lock in grinds

Tried v5 and same as f4 conicals, sticky
But the bones were faster
yes

franquietits

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 62
« Reply #965 on: December 29, 2017, 02:42:04 AM »
^

Yo, don't blame the wheels if you can't heelflip an 8 5!

Nallid

• Rep: -14
« Reply #966 on: December 29, 2017, 10:39:10 AM »
Jeezus.... Rob what do you do with all the gear you buy and hate?

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #967 on: December 29, 2017, 02:41:41 PM »
Jeezus.... Rob what do you do with all the gear you buy and hate?

Haha wait for lifetime or a&e channel to call me and let me get an episode on hoarders skater edition episode

But I plan to sell some here or eBay or where ever of it when I totally clear the madness from my mind cause I love the idea of Indy and it’s hype being all sk8 or die and thrash but they suck, 149 are alright but I can’t do chunky and heavy since I sized back down to 8/8.12
yes

Smartass

• Rep: 46
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #968 on: December 30, 2017, 05:46:30 PM »
Damn this thread has me thinking about trying out some Crupies.

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #969 on: December 30, 2017, 07:43:39 PM »

unless a super skinny wheel is your thing, make sure you buy the tiago model or whatever model is slightly wider. the team ones are insanely slim. also maybe its the slimness, but im not that hyped on mine, but they arent bad by any means.

Smartass

• Rep: 46
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #970 on: December 31, 2017, 04:45:36 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

unless a super skinny wheel is your thing, make sure you buy the tiago model or whatever model is slightly wider. the team ones are insanely slim. also maybe its the slimness, but im not that hyped on mine, but they arent bad by any means.

I ended up picking up some Ribeiro 52mm ones that are a little bit wider than their other offerings for $12.

DaSk8D00D

• Rep: -108
  • Can't Leave SLAP Alone the Game Needs Me!
« Reply #971 on: December 31, 2017, 04:52:38 PM »
My first Crupies were those same Riberio wheels in 54mm, they're wider than the team ones. Great choice!

Nallid

• Rep: -14
« Reply #972 on: December 31, 2017, 05:14:01 PM »
I ended up liking my Crupies. 53 Sarmiento, skinny, but same riding surface as my classics. They've been the first wheels I've had in a while where I just don't think about them.

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #973 on: December 31, 2017, 05:29:00 PM »
I have those same ribeiro ones, but 53mm.
No flatspots, grippy enough, slide enough, fast. No complains whatsoever...
Really good wheels for a really good price (they were 30 euros when a spit or bones can be 50+), plus supporting that heavy brazilian squad.
I back them.

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

heritage

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 98
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #974 on: December 31, 2017, 08:18:51 PM »
+1 on Crupie wheels. I've been skating the 52mm Cerezini and they're perfect. Love the shape and the 101 is a perfect mix of slide and grip. Little more slide than grip but still a great mix.

http://www.crupie.com/product/danny-cerezini-signature-wheels-aoki-geometric-copy/
« Last Edit: December 31, 2017, 08:20:43 PM by heritage »

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #975 on: December 31, 2017, 09:35:51 PM »
For all of you with crupies, do any of you have trouble sliding on relatively smooth(not skatepark smooth) concrete sidewalks? Mine slide well on ledges as well as roads and most street spots, but for some reason, on some surfaces similar to this, http://www.jcmillerconcrete.com/wp-content/gallery/stamped/stamped7.jpg they barely slide and when they do its an uncomfortable, soft feeling as opposed to the usual feeling when I slide on it with f4s, stfs, or even my 85a cruiser wheels. That's my biggest and only gripe with the formula. Unfortunately not having as good an experience as everyone else is on these wheels, due to this and the width. Maybe they need more time.

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #976 on: January 03, 2018, 10:16:36 AM »
Has anyone tried crupie and wayward?

And which one did you prefer?

Wayward looks better quality and I’m thinking to try a set but all your guys crupie opinions are getting to me and they’re cheaper
yes

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #977 on: January 03, 2018, 10:24:27 AM »

Wayward looks better quality and I’m thinking to try a set but all your guys crupie opinions are getting to me and they’re cheaper

I bought a set of waywards, haven't skated them yet so don't know how they are in comparison. Also it might not be a fair test as the waywards are 101a 55mm round cut full(very wide) whereas the crupies are 53mm 101a slim.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 02:27:18 PM by tzhangdox »

colt cannon lunchbox

• Rep: -92
« Reply #978 on: January 03, 2018, 01:59:04 PM »
Anyone tried portland wheel co?

My OJ's are getting small and kinda sticky on powerslides

Beeker

• Rep: 41
« Reply #979 on: January 03, 2018, 04:12:27 PM »

Kinda wondering about Crupies since after Tactics sells the couple of sets it has left you'll have to go direct, which ends up making them about the same price as everything else.

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #980 on: January 12, 2018, 06:51:55 PM »
What up skate psychos like myself

So I have been trying other wheels lately and got a set of wayward both 101 and 99 and I’m skating the 101 right now

But before that I was trying some wheels from aws, they’re called clone wheels and so far... they’re very legit!

Obviously being a bones stf backer I got the b-cell clone wheels by aws and they are nice, not as impervious as bones stf in all areas but very very close in my opinion

They feel sorta like if an stf mixed with a classic, the grip is good can’t guarantee easy slip out but better than f4. Slide wise they slide very nicely and easy but not slippery, sorta like an stf where it’s a  controlled slide but easier to get into right away. They’re thin like an stf v3 so eh to me cause i prefer a bit wider like a v1. But overall my consensus I suggest to try a set cause they’re actually good wheels, not bad at all and sad to say...

I think the aws wheels feel better than these wayward 101 I’m on right now, the wayward 101 in all honesty just feel like a very premium way better spit classic, it feels like a classic but rolls faster, and takes rough ground better and slide wise just a bit better

Idk maybe I haven’t “broken them in” but so far prettt average wheels, like I said they’re basically if you liked wheels like spit classics but hate flatspots and slowness. Wayward 
yes

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #981 on: January 12, 2018, 07:34:23 PM »
^Interesting input. I quite like my Wayward 101s so far, nothing about them makes me go holy shit but theyre an all round solid wheel, but then again no wheel really does. The clones sound interesting to try, but it makes no sense to me why they rate some wheels with the B scale and other with the A scale, are they different formulae or just different hardness? Seems stupid to use two different scales.

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #982 on: January 12, 2018, 07:37:21 PM »
^Interesting input. I quite like my Wayward 101s so far, nothing about them makes me go holy shit but theyre an all round solid wheel, but then again no wheel really does. The clones sound interesting to try, but it makes no sense to me why they rate some wheels with the B scale and other with the A scale, are they different formulae or just different hardness? Seems stupid to use two different scales.

Supposedly formula, cause in the end the hardness rating is almost like Abec rating and it’s really just about the formula and quality of urethane/materials

Like these clones are just like an stf at 83b but you know, different formulas and all and same with f4 compared to other wheels

So yeah the scale is just for different formulas I guess
yes

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #983 on: January 12, 2018, 08:20:07 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Supposedly formula, cause in the end the hardness rating is almost like Abec rating and it’s really just about the formula and quality of urethane/materials

Like these clones are just like an stf at 83b but you know, different formulas and all and same with f4 compared to other wheels

I see, it would make sense for them to elaborate on the differences between their different products though. Oh well. Definitely interested to try them in the future though.

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #984 on: January 12, 2018, 08:23:42 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I see, it would make sense for them to elaborate on the differences between their different products though. Oh well. Definitely interested to try them in the future though.

I highly recommend if your looking for a good wheel besides my all timer bones stf, they kinda remind me of the first time trying f4 and feeling a revolutionary skate wheel formula, like you can’t describe all the feelings but it’s good all around

They feel good
yes

AlfredIsShit

• Rep: 0
« Reply #985 on: January 17, 2018, 11:26:44 AM »
Hey guys, I'm looking at getting some new wheels since they're on sale.

My two options are Ricta Sparx 101a 52mm and OJ wheels from concentrate 101a 52mm.
The OJs have a 16.6mm contact patch, while the Rictas a 18.5mm contact patch.
Which one should I get? I only skate street (no skatepark in my town), some spots are slippery (underground concrete parking lots) while others are a bit rougher (asphalt/stone tiles).

Any feedback is nice

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
    • Instagram avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #986 on: January 17, 2018, 11:41:37 AM »

My two options are Ricta Sparx 101a 52mm and OJ wheels from concentrate 101a 52mm.
Which one should I get? I only skate street (no skatepark in my town), some spots are slippery (underground concrete parking lots) while others are a bit rougher (asphalt/stone tiles).

Any feedback is nice
Spitfire formula four 99

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 938
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #987 on: January 17, 2018, 01:08:27 PM »

Any feedback is nice

Between those two options, the OJs.

Good sale here on wheels: https://shop.ccs.com/skateboards/skateboard-wheels?order=pricelow

I'd snag some waywards if I were you, closet you will get to F4s (if you are skating some slippery stuff).
« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 01:49:20 PM by Xen »

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #988 on: January 17, 2018, 04:47:26 PM »
Expand Quote

Any feedback is nice
[close]
Spitfire formula four 99
↑ he's got a point

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

JusticeAbberdash

« Reply #989 on: January 19, 2018, 12:17:23 PM »
Anything but ricta!