Author Topic: Wheels Thread  (Read 777810 times)

rob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • Lance Mountain
Re: Wheels Thread
« Reply #990 on: January 19, 2018, 02:39:56 PM »
Anything but ricta!

I agree

Update on the wayward 99a tre najera

They’re smooth as fresh shaved ball sack

They slide like a spitfire classic so you need some power or speed

But best part, they are pretty fast combined with smooth they’re great, just wish they slid easier

The 101 were not that great though, maybe I just have an old formula
yes

JusticeAbberdash

« Reply #991 on: January 19, 2018, 05:25:27 PM »
Expand Quote
Anything but ricta!
[close]

I agree

But best part, they are pretty fast combined with smooth they’re great, just wish they slid easier

So bones stf still beats wayward eh? I keep getting tempted to try crupies, and others, but bones and spits just have formulas on lock.

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #992 on: January 19, 2018, 05:38:28 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Anything but ricta!
[close]

I agree

[close]

So bones stf still beats wayward eh? I keep getting tempted to try crupies, and others, but bones and spits just have formulas on lock.

Still, id say bones stf, then alien workshop clones 83b(they feel like you take a spit classic and mix with an stf) then formula fours, then wayward/mini logo/bones 100, and maybe oj insane a thane but they were slow as snails so probably spit classics

That’s my experience so far

And yeah never ricta, the most Chinese manufacturing quality wheels ever, hard plastic and jittery
yes

JusticeAbberdash

« Reply #993 on: January 19, 2018, 06:03:31 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Anything but ricta!
[close]

I agree

[close]

[close]

Still, id say bones stf, then alien workshop clones 83b(they feel like you take a spit classic and mix with an stf) then formula fours, then wayward/mini logo/bones 100, and maybe oj insane a thane but they were slow as snails so probably spit classics

That’s my experience so far

And yeah never ricta, the most Chinese manufacturing quality wheels ever, hard plastic and jittery

I actually like how different stf and F4s are, I ride both these days. I'm not even sure a wheel could combine the best of both, it's two totally different feels.

If you know what I mean.

Lame_Nigga

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2
  • Just a lame nigga who can't kickflip
« Reply #994 on: January 22, 2018, 08:37:54 AM »
I need some quick advice: the city I live has some brutally rough streets so I'm looking for softer wheels. Is there really that much of a difference between 99a and 101? Those seem like the most common measurements. I was gonna drop down to 90a, Also, I was gonna switch from the standard wheel to wider ones, does that effect your tricks or is it all mental?

Smartass

• Rep: 46
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #995 on: January 22, 2018, 08:53:39 AM »

Currently rocking Crupies on my main set up and 99 F4's on my back-up. I'm liking the Crupies more than the F4's right now. They feel gripper and seem to retain speed better than the F4's, but also still slide a little better. I'm going to give my back up a lot of use this week and see if I still feel the same.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #996 on: January 22, 2018, 08:55:26 AM »
I need some quick advice: the city I live has some brutally rough streets so I'm looking for softer wheels. Is there really that much of a difference between 99a and 101? Those seem like the most common measurements. I was gonna drop down to 90a, Also, I was gonna switch from the standard wheel to wider ones, does that effect your tricks or is it all mental?

No. On rough streets both are really fucking rough. If you want a smoother ride, get 92A or softer. Softer wheels will be grippy though. 92A you can still slide, but for examples Keyframes, which are 87A are really difficult to slide. Otherwise they're perfect for rough streets though.

Beeker

• Rep: 41
« Reply #997 on: January 22, 2018, 09:09:58 AM »

Depends what tricks you are talking about. I personally wouldn't want to do crooked grinds on anything much less than 99a. I don't think there's a magic bullet wheel for cruising crusty streets and skating spots so I would suggest just getting straight up cruiser wheels like bones rough riders and switching them out with something 99+ when you want to do tricks where your wheels rub.

JusticeAbberdash

« Reply #998 on: January 22, 2018, 09:57:52 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Depends what tricks you are talking about. I personally wouldn't want to do crooked grinds on anything much less than 99a. I don't think there's a magic bullet wheel for cruising crusty streets and skating spots so I would suggest just getting straight up cruiser wheels like bones rough riders and switching them out with something 99+ when you want to do tricks where your wheels rub.

This. The in-between duros (90-92a) suck, softies or street wheels, gotta make a choice. I skate a lot of janky spots, you get used to it.

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
    • Instagram avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #999 on: January 24, 2018, 02:29:24 PM »
I like the Powell G-slides - they power slide a little bit, but still handle gravel on my street smoothly. I use em for my tricky cruiser/curb crusher. For just speed, I still use my Danny Falla red/Stella PFCs

agmccomb

« Reply #1000 on: January 31, 2018, 05:55:54 AM »
Anyone know of a wheel slimmer or as slim as the Bones V3? The 50mm ones I skate are 28mm in width. I have had Autobahn slims which were 27mm width. I find the Bones lose their shape and generally wear down too fast for my liking but im currently out of options since it seems like Autobahn must be done.

TwisT

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1033
« Reply #1001 on: January 31, 2018, 05:59:06 AM »
Anything but ricta!

when was the last time you had ricta?
ricta naturals > F4's any day.

just to elaborate. I have 99a 54 F4 slims. I blame my self for buying a wheel online, but they are not really slim, while they may have a narrower riding surface. the overall wheel was wider than my autobahns and rictas. They felt a little mushy to me, and did not slide as well as my rictas. The wheel is slower. My F4's running 6ball swiss, feel slower than my ricta's w/ mini logo bearings. So on christmas I got westgate naturals. They dont have that plastic feel that the cored ricta's are known for.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2018, 06:07:26 AM by TwisT »

BMCsteve

• Rep: 54
« Reply #1002 on: January 31, 2018, 06:49:30 AM »
Anyone know of a wheel slimmer or as slim as the Bones V3? The 50mm ones I skate are 28mm in width. I have had Autobahn slims which were 27mm width. I find the Bones lose their shape and generally wear down too fast for my liking but im currently out of options since it seems like Autobahn must be done.

Ricta NRG Nyjah's are 52mm and 27.7 wide.  The NRG formula is awesome too

https://www.nhsfunfactory.com/nyjah-huston-52mm-pro-design-99a-ricta-skateboard-wheels

agmccomb

« Reply #1003 on: January 31, 2018, 07:23:49 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

https://www.nhsfunfactory.com/nyjah-huston-52mm-pro-design-99a-ricta-skateboard-wheels

I’ll check out the rictas. Thanks!

Firebert

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
    • Instagram avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1004 on: January 31, 2018, 07:42:49 AM »
I was a ricta naturals guy for my first 10 years - they are not faster than f4s of any durometer/size.

edit: I'll fuckin race you!

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 938
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #1005 on: February 02, 2018, 10:53:09 AM »
I was a ricta naturals guy for my first 10 years - they are not faster than f4s of any durometer/size.

When was the last time you rode set? Everyone uses different [marketing] formulas these days...the Ricta NRG, at 99a feel faster than F4s to me; I've ridden spits since they launched the OG classic but the F4s feel soft and sluggish to me compared to OJ insanes and Ricta NRGs.

FrenchFriedClownFingers

• Rep: 117
  • evensteven
« Reply #1006 on: February 02, 2018, 12:12:06 PM »
Are there any wheels out there that are like the bones rough riders but not bouncy? i like to do tricks on my cruiser but the bones wheels i have are bouncy and it makes my tricks feel weird
even the steven

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1007 on: February 02, 2018, 04:58:40 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I’ll check out the rictas. Thanks!

https://www.skatewarehouse.com/Ricta_Tommy_Sandoval_Pro_Naturals_99a_Wheels/descpage-RITSPWH.html

On sale to boot!

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 581
« Reply #1008 on: February 03, 2018, 10:04:43 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

When was the last time you rode set? Everyone uses different [marketing] formulas these days...the Ricta NRG, at 99a feel faster than F4s to me; I've ridden spits since they launched the OG classic but the F4s feel soft and sluggish to me compared to OJ insanes and Ricta NRGs.

I'm gonna stop you right there, Insane-a-thane feels like skating chalk, are slower than f4s and are a major pain in the ass to powerslide.
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

JusticeAbberdash

« Reply #1009 on: February 03, 2018, 10:13:56 AM »
Also F4s feel a lot different depending on the combo of size/shape/duro.

My 54 101 classics "feel" softer and somehow faster than my 57 99 conical fulls. Shits complicated.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1010 on: February 03, 2018, 11:54:20 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I'm gonna stop you right there, Insane-a-thane feels like skating chalk, are slower than f4s and are a major pain in the ass to powerslide.

Not chalky at all, not even sure what that means...do they crumble or something? Have you actually had wheels made out of chalk? Do they leave chalk lines after you powersli...oh wait you can't  ::)

Like I said, they feel faster to me, especially in a park setting, on par with SPF / F4s feel soft and slow (but nice and grippy) in a park setting but perfectly acceptable on streets, especially shitty streets, great rebound.

Can't powersilde? Go faster?

I prefer hard as rocks wheels, which spits are not compared to SPFs, Rictas or Insanes...

But, FWIW, I'm curently riding F4s radial slims.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2018, 12:44:54 PM by Xen »

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #1011 on: February 03, 2018, 01:03:25 PM »

Not sure of the exact width but most of Crupie's are really slim.
Amazing value since the retail price is quite cheap and they feel as good or better than the big dogs. 

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
« Reply #1012 on: February 03, 2018, 01:04:48 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Amazing value since the retail price is quite cheap and they feel as good or better than the big dogs.

This. The team crupies are stupid slim, couldn't deal with it.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1013 on: February 03, 2018, 05:03:32 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

This. The team crupies are stupid slim, couldn't deal with it.

The widest they seem to make is 31mm, most are 28/29mm - I might have to check some out!

Beeker

• Rep: 41
« Reply #1014 on: February 03, 2018, 07:22:33 PM »
Are there any wheels out there that are like the bones rough riders but not bouncy? i like to do tricks on my cruiser but the bones wheels i have are bouncy and it makes my tricks feel weird

I would give the Powell G-Slides a shot, they aren't super bouncy because they are a little bit harder, but they are a real good cruiser wheel.

tangar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 64
  • THINK LESS
« Reply #1015 on: February 03, 2018, 11:10:22 PM »
Fucked around with a bunch of stuff the last few months. Really liked waywards but they don’t last long enough. Tried Powerflex, they feel a little too plasticky but also felt like they didn’t give the way I wanted on powerslides, but I’m sure they’d last a while. Went back to 99 conicals the other day and even tho the first 180 powerslide I did felt wild. They dialed right back in and slid when I wanted and felt grippy enough on Black parking lot pavement. Taking them out tomorrow again.
Man the long board truck thing killed indy for me. I was willing to set aside the racism, but long boarding, gtfo... - DH

colt cannon lunchbox

• Rep: -92
« Reply #1016 on: February 06, 2018, 12:39:06 PM »
Best wheels for shitty surfaces? Would it be a 99 FA or STF? I'm currently riding Insanathane's worn down to about 50mm so I realise sizing up to about a 54 would help a lot as well.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1017 on: February 06, 2018, 04:12:34 PM »
Best wheels for shitty surfaces? Would it be a 99 FA or STF? I'm currently riding Insanathane's worn down to about 50mm so I realise sizing up to about a 54 would help a lot as well.

F4s

JusticeAbberdash

« Reply #1018 on: February 06, 2018, 04:14:42 PM »
99a F4s are pretty soft feeling for a street wheel. I'd recommend the radials!

NJFly318

• Rep: 3
« Reply #1019 on: February 06, 2018, 06:02:31 PM »
99a F4s are pretty soft feeling for a street wheel. I'd recommend the radials!

I just bought a set yesterday, can't wait to try them out.