Author Topic: Wheels Thread  (Read 778138 times)

rob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • Lance Mountain
Re: Wheels Thread
« Reply #1020 on: February 06, 2018, 06:08:32 PM »
Best wheels for shitty surfaces? Would it be a 99 FA or STF? I'm currently riding Insanathane's worn down to about 50mm so I realise sizing up to about a 54 would help a lot as well.

Stf are way smoother on rough surfaces and retain speed better too, f4 are still as good but not on rough ground
yes

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
« Reply #1021 on: February 06, 2018, 06:18:05 PM »
Expand Quote
Best wheels for shitty surfaces? Would it be a 99 FA or STF? I'm currently riding Insanathane's worn down to about 50mm so I realise sizing up to about a 54 would help a lot as well.
[close]

Stf are way smoother on rough surfaces and retain speed better too, f4 are still as good but not on rough ground

As much as I like the feel of f4s over the plastickyness of stfs, I have to agree with this. Despite being a harder wheel, they almost feel softer than 99 f4s on shit ground.

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 581
« Reply #1022 on: February 06, 2018, 11:25:39 PM »
Want to pick up some Bones Rough Riders for a slappy/cruiser/trick set up but want to know what are the experiences you guys have had with them (Already running key frames on another set-up, but need some slide)
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

SJ

« Reply #1023 on: February 07, 2018, 12:02:16 AM »
How do F4 Radial slims in 99 and 101 compare? Which one would be better for street?

Krooked antihero

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 157
« Reply #1024 on: February 07, 2018, 12:06:50 AM »
How do F4 Radial slims in 99 and 101 compare? Which one would be better for street?
I skate Bones stf’s but skated a set of F4’s in both duros and I prefer 101’s over 99’s.
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #1025 on: February 07, 2018, 01:15:46 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

As much as I like the feel of f4s over the plastickyness of stfs, I have to agree with this. Despite being a harder wheel, they almost feel softer than 99 f4s on shit ground.

Haha yeah same, I came back to f4 just cause of the feel

I still like bones and think they make the best wheels but idk spits just have this like board feel thing going on

Bones makes a better cruiser formula, street formula, park formula and pp standard formula(100’s) and you can’t go wrong but yeah spits add board feel how they roll against the streets

It’s weird

Also to the bones rough riders question, definitely bones atf formula beats all other cruiser wheels! My old Chris ray bones atf filmer wheels were faster than any cruiser wheel I’ve ever had or tried and they were classic shaped and shaved down to 51 still going fast and rolled over everything
yes

Turtle Boy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 169
« Reply #1026 on: February 07, 2018, 03:56:38 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

That's what I like about the STF formula, they are the most versatile wheel out in my opinion.

nsskater1993

• Rep: 1
« Reply #1027 on: February 08, 2018, 03:26:09 PM »
the site that I was gonna order those new wheels from updated their stock with some even cheaper options, so I copped some f4 99 54mm and OJ Insaneathane's in 53. Get to try something new and stick with what's worked the best lately. Pretty pumped. Just thought I'd share this with my slap brethren since I asked y'all what to get earlier in the thread.

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1028 on: February 08, 2018, 06:38:28 PM »
the site that I was gonna order those new wheels from updated their stock with some even cheaper options, so I copped some f4 99 54mm and OJ Insaneathane's in 53. Get to try something new and stick with what's worked the best lately. Pretty pumped. Just thought I'd share this with my slap brethren since I asked y'all what to get earlier in the thread.

Would appreciate a comparison, thank u!

Esquivel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 214
« Reply #1029 on: February 09, 2018, 01:08:38 AM »

If you skate in extremely cold environment get the 99's. Otherwise, 101's all day
Expand Quote
And people say weed makes you creative
[close]
Good weed does - these broke ass skateboard designers smokin spice

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 640
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
« Reply #1030 on: February 12, 2018, 07:26:27 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

If you skate in extremely cold environment get the 99's. Otherwise, 101's all day

I take the opposite approach. 99s are way better than 101. Better on slightly crusty pavement, and not too slick on ramp or “perfect” surface parks.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 09:25:28 PM by Sedition »
IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

"Everything has been figured out, except how to live." -Sartre

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1031 on: February 12, 2018, 08:10:49 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I take the opposite approach. 99s are we better than 101. Better on slightly crusty pavement, and not too slick on ramp or “perfect” surface parks.

^this

JusticeAbberdash

« Reply #1032 on: February 12, 2018, 08:28:33 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I take the opposite approach. 99s are we better than 101. Better on slightly crusty pavement, and not too slick on ramp or “perfect” surface parks.
[close]

^this

I stayed on 99s for a while, but I feel like the 101s are slightly faster, even if they're a little rougher.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 75
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #1033 on: February 12, 2018, 08:53:15 PM »
99s all day long!

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 640
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
« Reply #1034 on: February 12, 2018, 09:28:01 PM »
Also, didn’t Schmitt once explaining how there is no such thing as durometer rating over 100?
IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

"Everything has been figured out, except how to live." -Sartre

Jollyoli

• Rep: 91
« Reply #1035 on: February 13, 2018, 06:29:37 AM »
Also, didn’t Schmitt once explaining how there is no such thing as durometer rating over 100?

Yes, he also mentioned it's hard to get people to change units of measurement. People know what 101a is going to be like but no idea what 83b means.

I'm paraphrasing, I don't even own a lab coat.
Hey, hey, hey. Don't be mean. We don't have to be mean because, remember, no matter where you go, there you are.

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1152
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1036 on: February 13, 2018, 07:02:35 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I'm paraphrasing, I don't even own a lab coat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnHddsnWcnU
hardly art, hardly starving

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #1037 on: February 13, 2018, 01:20:08 PM »

The Shore A scale for hardness only goes up to 100.  It is also inaccurate at the ends of the scale.  It really is a poor way to measure skate wheel hardness these days if you want accurate numbers.  That's why one companies 98 may be harder than another companies 100.

The B scale has a more useful durometer range, but it isn't what people are accustomed to.  If all companies went to B scale it would be less confusing, just like if the entire US switched to metric it would be less confusing.  Neither is going to happen.

sododgy

• Rep: 8
« Reply #1038 on: February 13, 2018, 04:13:13 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

The Shore A scale for hardness only goes up to 100.  It is also inaccurate at the ends of the scale.  It really is a poor way to measure skate wheel hardness these days if you want accurate numbers.  That's why one companies 98 may be harder than another companies 100.

The B scale has a more useful durometer range, but it isn't what people are accustomed to.  If all companies went to B scale it would be less confusing, just like if the entire US switched to metric it would be less confusing.  Neither is going to happen.

Time to form the Sk8 Summit to bring everyone together and tackle these issues.

Il Dio sotto la pelle

• Rep: 5
« Reply #1039 on: February 13, 2018, 04:40:54 PM »
been riding 99a F4s for the longest, any recommendations for a softer, I guess "cruiser" wheel? I'm definitely not straying away from F4s, but I'm looking for something a little softer, but still has enough integrity to go decently fast and not feel "chalky" if that makes any sense.

TheVisitor

• Rep: -13
« Reply #1040 on: February 16, 2018, 11:08:47 PM »
Has anyone got a chance to skate the Spitfire Formula 4 Lock Ins? Are they legit or just a gimmick? I don't know how I feel about just one side being cut straight and the other side being radial. I like to rotate my wheels every so often to insure even wear but it seems like rotating these would negate the 'lock in' feature since the radial side would now be on the inside of the trucks.

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #1041 on: February 17, 2018, 11:45:32 AM »
Has anyone got a chance to skate the Spitfire Formula 4 Lock Ins? Are they legit or just a gimmick? I don't know how I feel about just one side being cut straight and the other side being radial. I like to rotate my wheels every so often to insure even wear but it seems like rotating these would negate the 'lock in' feature since the radial side would now be on the inside of the trucks.

I have a set of the 55mm 101s and they do what they claim.  I can consistently get a few feet longer on grinds with less effort.  I have only skated them at parks with coping or angle iron, or on ramps.   

Unfortunately,  I got a flat spot 30 minutes in with the while skating a masonite mini ramp. That's a bit of a bummer. It's my first experience with the 101 F4s. 

One thing I do notice is that they have a wider riding surface and so they are a bit slower, but you have to give something to get something. Forget rotating them.  I give the shape the thumbs up.

That said, I would like to see a slightly thinner version of them just because the riding surface is so wide they are heavier than the same size of another cut.  I think a thinner shape -and maybe a classic cut on the non lock-in side - would make them a bit faster and quicker to flip.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 10:09:10 PM by backinaction »

calvinsdream

« Reply #1042 on: March 08, 2018, 09:57:52 AM »
I saw in the Nyjah Thrasher some ad where it's someone airing out of a pool with OJ hot juice wheels (the 60mms), and I remember from a Winkowski interview that he packs several packs of those wheels with him on road trips.

I've used them as a cruiser wheel, but I really can't see any benefit to using them on transition - is there something I'm missing? They're like 78a and smush out pretty hard.

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1034
« Reply #1043 on: March 08, 2018, 10:14:32 AM »
I saw in the Nyjah Thrasher some ad where it's someone airing out of a pool with OJ hot juice wheels (the 60mms), and I remember from a Winkowski interview that he packs several packs of those wheels with him on road trips.

I've used them as a cruiser wheel, but I really can't see any benefit to using them on transition - is there something I'm missing? They're like 78a and smush out pretty hard.

those are the same style of wheel dudes pioneered vert on.

Sad Hippo

« Reply #1044 on: March 20, 2018, 01:47:07 PM »
Spitfire is still made in the USA right? I just bought some OJs because they said USA MADE on them, but it turns out they're made in China.  It's not a big deal, I just like to buy stuff that doesn't travel half way around the world burning fossil fuels when I can.

nosneb

• Rep: 78
« Reply #1045 on: March 20, 2018, 01:56:45 PM »
I believe they are made in SF just like Indy, Thunder, Venture.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 939
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #1046 on: March 20, 2018, 03:31:40 PM »
AB BiB?

Bunch of new AB wheels up...lots of 'widebody' wheels...

https://www.skatewarehouse.com/Autobahn_Skateboard_Wheels/catpage-WHAUTOBAHN.html
« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 03:34:46 PM by Xen »

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #1047 on: March 20, 2018, 09:06:12 PM »
How are autobanh compared to f4?

yes

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 581
« Reply #1048 on: March 20, 2018, 09:29:50 PM »
How are autobanh compared to f4?

Tried skating a pair of the dual euro. They refuse to slide only came in a really slim shape and made overall unhappy
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
    • Instagram avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1049 on: March 21, 2018, 12:14:45 PM »
The company is USA made, the wheels however are not made IN the USA