Author Topic: Wheels Thread  (Read 778620 times)

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 940
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
Re: Wheels Thread
« Reply #1050 on: March 21, 2018, 01:38:24 PM »
How are autobanh compared to f4?

I've always found them somewhat sticky. The 99s don't want to slide at all; I did enjoy the 101 slim shape tho but the wider 101s weren't as forgiving on slides. They've never felt like anything special to me, average wheels much like .sml and these dogtowns I'm riding, all made in the USA and presumably at the same factory as all three felt eerily similar, especially the .sml and dogtowns.

If you like F4s, chances are you won't like the ABs.

rob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #1051 on: March 21, 2018, 08:40:15 PM »
Expand Quote
How are autobanh compared to f4?
[close]

I've always found them somewhat sticky. The 99s don't want to slide at all; I did enjoy the 101 slim shape tho but the wider 101s weren't as forgiving on slides. They've never felt like anything special to me, average wheels much like .sml and these dogtowns I'm riding, all made in the USA and presumably at the same factory as all three felt eerily similar, especially the .sml and dogtowns.

If you like F4s, chances are you won't like the ABs.

Ohh, Forsure

I can’t remeber if it was mark appleyard talking about them that got me curious but yeah I kinda wanna see if there’s something special out there but eh
yes

FS-OverKOOK

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 42
« Reply #1052 on: March 22, 2018, 08:34:59 AM »
Spitfire is still made in the USA right? I just bought some OJs because they said USA MADE on them, but it turns out they're made in China.  It's not a big deal, I just like to buy stuff that doesn't travel half way around the world burning fossil fuels when I can.
Companies do not have production in China for quality. I try to never use any skate product that comes China.

Dad you're embarrassing me

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 66
« Reply #1053 on: March 25, 2018, 03:09:31 AM »
In reaction to the local bowls copping the anti graffiti paint, and becoming way too slick as a result, I changed it up from F4 99’s, which I have been running since they came on to the market, to powerflex. They seem pretty good, just as quick as F4’s, no flat spots so far, and a little bit grippier, which is what I wanted. Prolly not that great for street, with the extra grip being unwanted in that scenario, but good for tranny and park.

Edit: bombed a couple of hills today with these and holy hell you’d wanna pony up before you sesh slide them, they grip like crazy!
« Last Edit: March 25, 2018, 11:36:06 PM by Dad you're embarrassing me »

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #1054 on: March 31, 2018, 02:07:14 AM »
I’ve been wondering but anyone got opinions on the f4 99 vs 101?

I’ve been skating the 99 always besides when I recently went back to bones stf and now back on the spits f4 cause yeah the bones are smoother, faster and roll over stuff better but they lack this feel being so impervious to the streets

So yeah, how are the f4 101 compared to the 99 besides that they slip out easier?

yes

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #1055 on: March 31, 2018, 02:37:43 AM »
They're a bit harder and and a bit less grippy. Otherwise they're exactly the same. For slippery indoor parks I prefer the 99, for skating outside the 101. For really rough streets (what 99% of streets are here) I prefer neither as they're way too slow for that, gotta use Keyframes or some other soft wheel to maintain any speed on these rough ass streets.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1056 on: March 31, 2018, 08:22:52 AM »
In reaction to the local bowls copping the anti graffiti paint, and becoming way too slick as a result, I changed it up from F4 99’s, which I have been running since they came on to the market, to powerflex. They seem pretty good, just as quick as F4’s, no flat spots so far, and a little bit grippier, which is what I wanted. Prolly not that great for street, with the extra grip being unwanted in that scenario, but good for tranny and park.

Edit: bombed a couple of hills today with these and holy hell you’d wanna pony up before you sesh slide them, they grip like crazy!

Those are the Jim Grey ones yah?  My friend flat spotted them bad super fast....

fulfillthedream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 305
« Reply #1057 on: March 31, 2018, 10:01:24 AM »
I’ve been wondering but anyone got opinions on the f4 99 vs 101?

I’ve been skating the 99 always besides when I recently went back to bones stf and now back on the spits f4 cause yeah the bones are smoother, faster and roll over stuff better but they lack this feel being so impervious to the streets

So yeah, how are the f4 101 compared to the 99 besides that they slip out easier?

101s are too slippery for me, always skated the 99s
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

ChuckRamone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 523
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1058 on: March 31, 2018, 11:06:59 AM »
still looking for that magical cruiser wheel that slides. they’re either too springy and grippy or so hard you might as well skate regular wheels instead. any such thing yet?

« Reply #1059 on: March 31, 2018, 12:19:46 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Those are the Jim Grey ones yah?  My friend flat spotted them bad super fast....

Yep those are the ones. I haven’t flat spotted them yet, I’ll see how they go.

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
« Reply #1060 on: March 31, 2018, 04:06:32 PM »
still looking for that magical cruiser wheel that slides. they’re either too springy and grippy or so hard you might as well skate regular wheels instead. any such thing yet?

Powell bomber 85a are a big soft cruiser wheel that I have no trouble breaking into a powerslide when bombing hills.

theloniousmonk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 275
« Reply #1061 on: March 31, 2018, 08:37:20 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Have you skated keyframes before? And if so could you give a comparison of the two? I need a new set of cruiser wheels, and have been on keyframes for the past two years. They are awesome, but no slide, so your comments have me thinking about trying out the bombers

GardenSkater77

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1035
« Reply #1062 on: March 31, 2018, 09:42:52 PM »
I road 58 mm key frames on my ‘street masher’ for 2 years also and they are awesome but...like you said. I bought 54 mm sml wheels 92a based on this thread and they are great. Much faster than key frames but still have that bounce. I am not great at sliding but the person who recommended them says they slide. The sml wheels give you more connection to the street and handle rough patches nearly as well as the Keyframes.

full of jerks

• Rep: -33
« Reply #1063 on: March 31, 2018, 11:12:59 PM »

I've got a set of Powell Mini Cubics that I bought for nostalgia reasons.  They are 95a.  But those things are quiet and roll smooth as hell.  So I think you can go way harder than the typical cruiser wheels and be good.  Powell has a wheel in 97 with a regular shape.  And OJ has 'Mini Combos' in 95 that look good too.

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #1064 on: April 01, 2018, 11:36:13 PM »
Hey I just realized, the radial shape is just a worn in broken in shaped classic

Notice when you ride classics for too long and they eventually become more square than oval originally, radials are those worn out squared up classics but now you can have that shape in a real rideable size and feeling new

No wonder I loved the radial, so yeah if you aren’t feeling classics get radials

I recommend, now should I get the f4 101 classic or radial...
yes

roba

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 715
« Reply #1065 on: April 02, 2018, 03:00:31 AM »
Hey I just realized, the radial shape is just a worn in broken in shaped classic

Notice when you ride classics for too long and they eventually become more square than oval originally, radials are those worn out squared up classics but now you can have that shape in a real rideable size and feeling new

No wonder I loved the radial, so yeah if you aren’t feeling classics get radials

i'd go with radial, 101s are pretty slippery so a wheel with a wider riding surface would be better imo
« Last Edit: April 02, 2018, 03:02:06 AM by roba »
I'm ok with theft. It happens to me all the time.
I steal too

I’m rich and smart

R.I.P Tate

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1066 on: April 02, 2018, 04:00:19 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

i'd go with radial, 101s are pretty slippery so a wheel with a wider riding surface would be better imo

A wider wheel isn't any grippier than a narrower though.

the snake

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 348
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #1067 on: April 02, 2018, 04:18:22 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

more contact gives more grip, so wider wheels are grippier

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1068 on: April 02, 2018, 04:30:09 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]
more contact gives more grip, so wider wheels are grippier

Common misconception, but not true.

Check this for example for a simple explanation:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idYX7kkRqbs

the snake

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 348
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #1069 on: April 02, 2018, 04:46:06 AM »
 ;)

ChuckRamone

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1070 on: April 02, 2018, 06:42:29 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I've got a set of Powell Mini Cubics that I bought for nostalgia reasons.  They are 95a.  But those things are quiet and roll smooth as hell.  So I think you can go way harder than the typical cruiser wheels and be good.  Powell has a wheel in 97 with a regular shape.  And OJ has 'Mini Combos' in 95 that look good too.

I skated the Powell G Slides, which are 85a, for a few days. They slid okay but were really wide and felt heavy and a bit chalky and were pretty hard despite the stated durometer. And currently I’ve been skating the OJ Mini Elites 95a. They are lighter than the G Slides but still pretty heavy and chalky and a little too hard for a smooth ride. I wish companies would take their regular wheel shapes and sizes and just slightly tweak the formula to be softer but not squishy soft, if that’s somehow possible. The cruiser wheels on the market remind me too much of longboard wheels or are just reissues of old school skate wheels.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1071 on: April 02, 2018, 08:22:22 AM »
I have the SPF ditchtechs which were a 94 I think. They are great wheels but they don't make them right now.  I followed up w Powell and they sent me protos for the gslides. Mine are smaller, no core and they work super good on my zip zinger....

My feedback was that I think most guys want the softest they can get without losing that tackiness of your wheels...once it gets squishy it just feels unstable.  I said if they did something like the gslide in a 92 maybe...the idea was that the gslides could be soft but still perform like a harder wheel ie. Slide. 

ChuckRamone

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1072 on: April 02, 2018, 10:48:58 AM »
I have the SPF ditchtechs which were a 94 I think. They are great wheels but they don't make them right now.  I followed up w Powell and they sent me protos for the gslides. Mine are smaller, no core and they work super good on my zip zinger....

My feedback was that I think most guys want the softest they can get without losing that tackiness of your wheels...once it gets squishy it just feels unstable.  I said if they did something like the gslide in a 92 maybe...the idea was that the gslides could be soft but still perform like a harder wheel ie. Slide.

that sounds good. and if they offered standard shapes and sizes even better.

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #1073 on: April 02, 2018, 12:41:30 PM »
I feel like the radials do grip more, they feel a lot smoother so definitely gonna get a set of the radial 101 to try next
yes

JusticeAbberdash

« Reply #1074 on: April 03, 2018, 08:20:39 AM »

I kind of gave up trying to find that magic soft/slide formula. Somewhere in 92a is the sweet spot, but then I always felt like you're just getting the worst things about softer and harder wheels (stickiness/fast wear and a rough slow ride), without either of the benefits (fast over rough ground/easy sliding and stability at smaller sizes).

There's another big thing. I like wheels around 52-53mm for everything, and you just can't have a formula that soft at those sizes. Doesn't work for anything other than cruising.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1075 on: April 03, 2018, 08:34:12 AM »
Yah....I ride the 81b SPF on the board I just skate around my streets.....the SPF feels sticky so mentally at least it takes the edge off.  They still slide good.  No way are these great for really rough stuff though, but trying to do tricks on big squishy wheels sucks for me.  I have bombers on my rain board and they are super smooth and slide but too high and too much of a chance of wheelbite to start ollieing. 

TwisT

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1034
« Reply #1076 on: April 06, 2018, 01:36:34 PM »
 anyone know if there's a difference between ricta naturals 101a and oj insane 101a? Apologize if this has been brought up before.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 940
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #1077 on: April 06, 2018, 01:54:46 PM »
anyone know if there's a difference between ricta naturals 101a and oj insane 101a? Apologize if this has been brought up before.

Been curious about this myself!

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #1078 on: April 06, 2018, 10:49:35 PM »

Idk if this partially helps but the insane a thane feel smooth and soft and can slide better than regular 99a wheels but they’re slow, ricta I’ve never had the naturals but I did have the 81b Sandoval nrg pro wheels and they are fast but hard as rocks
yes

« Reply #1079 on: April 16, 2018, 05:25:26 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Yep those are the ones. I haven’t flat spotted them yet, I’ll see how they go.

I’ve been punishing them on raw concrete transition for a while now, still no major flat spots. I give them the thumbs up!