Author Topic: Wheels Thread  (Read 777937 times)

TheVisitor

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -13
Re: Wheels Thread
« Reply #1080 on: April 18, 2018, 10:23:48 PM »
What's a good wheel size for crusty parking lots/curb skating? 53-55mm? Coming back from an injury and going to take it slow just skating low impact for a bit. I'm riding 51mm right now with Bones Swiss and I'm losing quite a bit of speed.

Daniel

• Rep: 6
« Reply #1081 on: April 19, 2018, 01:25:22 AM »
What's a good wheel size for crusty parking lots/curb skating? 53-55mm? Coming back from an injury and going to take it slow just skating low impact for a bit. I'm riding 51mm right now with Bones Swiss and I'm losing quite a bit of speed.

Had the same problem with the 51 classics.
Just started riding the 99a 54 conical fulls and they are stupid fast with Swiss. Locks in perfectly on any grind!

Randozzi

« Reply #1082 on: April 19, 2018, 01:30:55 AM »
54mm Prize Fighter Cutlery http://www.prizefightercutlery.com/#!/Banners-101A/p/55250624/category=2470697

Or 54mm Spitfire F4 classic shape.

Can't go wrong with either.

Daniel

• Rep: 6
« Reply #1083 on: April 19, 2018, 02:04:34 AM »
54mm Prize Fighter Cutlery http://www.prizefightercutlery.com/#!/Banners-101A/p/55250624/category=2470697

Or 54mm Spitfire F4 classic shape.

Can't go wrong with either.

Damn those prize fighters look sick.
How do these compare to the f4s?

Randozzi

« Reply #1084 on: April 19, 2018, 02:49:18 AM »
Prize Fighter's feel harder than the 99 F4s but not at slick as the 101 F4s. They grip when you need them to but slide well.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 938
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #1085 on: April 19, 2018, 09:38:45 AM »

53mm

Mongoloid

« Reply #1086 on: April 19, 2018, 10:53:22 AM »
Hate Bones wheels, don’t get the hype.

I used to love Autobahn’s back in the day, but cycle between OJ, Spits, Pigs, and Speed Lab (transition) these days.

maggotspawn

• Rep: 4
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1087 on: April 20, 2018, 08:52:14 AM »
I need some new wheels. Spitfire F4 or Bones STF? Mostly street skating.

MaitlandPrivado

• Rep: 29
« Reply #1088 on: April 20, 2018, 10:12:51 AM »
You can't really go wrong with either in my opinion, I also love Powell Park Formula and Bones SPF in both durometers. I'm a mix of broke mofo and cheapskate so price usually helps make my decisions. Typically when I want/need wheels, I wait for a good sale on anything PPF/F4/STF/SPF in a size & shape that I think I can jive with and buy 1 or 2 sets. If I was looking for wheels today I would jump on the SW daily dose sale and grab a set of 81b P4 shape SPFs in 53 or 54mm for $15.

maggotspawn

• Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1089 on: April 20, 2018, 11:16:39 AM »
Just got back from the local shop. They didn't have STF's in a size I wanted , so I got some SF F4 Conical Full's in 99a. Can't wait to try them out. I had some A-1 Meats in 95a then some Ricta Clouds in 92a. Both those wheels felt so good for just cruising, and the A-1's were stupid fast. But neither would slide, so they had to go.

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 157
« Reply #1090 on: April 20, 2018, 12:11:58 PM »
Just got back from the local shop. They didn't have STF's in a size I wanted , so I got some SF F4 Conical Full's in 99a. Can't wait to try them out. I had some A-1 Meats in 95a then some Ricta Clouds in 92a. Both those wheels felt so good for just cruising, and the A-1's were stupid fast. But neither would slide, so they had to go.
You should be good then because F4’ do SLIDE, even too much for my liking so I’ll stick with my STF’s.
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1091 on: April 21, 2018, 03:38:59 PM »

Park street, city streets, crusty street, or all of the above?

Tech or hesh?

Do you like thin wheels or wide wheels?

maggotspawn

« Reply #1092 on: April 21, 2018, 04:01:03 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Park street, city streets, crusty street, or all of the above?

Tech or hesh?

Do you like thin wheels or wide wheels?
City streets mostly. Not too technical. I think I'm set with the F4's I got in the meantime.

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #1093 on: April 23, 2018, 12:53:15 PM »
As anyone here ever tried Fast Skateboarding Wheel Co.? I'm thinking about bumping 1mm and trying those out:
http://fswc.bigcartel.com/product/fswc-classic-54mm

Or I'm also maybe some Waywards, they also look promissing! 

I know I should probably just call it a day and just buy some Formula 4's but I like to just try different stuff.

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1094 on: April 23, 2018, 05:50:11 PM »
As anyone here ever tried Fast Skateboarding Wheel Co.? I'm thinking about bumping 1mm and trying those out:

Or I'm also maybe some Waywards, they also look promising! 

I know I should probably just call it a day and just buy some Formula 4's but I like to just try different stuff.

Waywards feel exactly like F4s to me, can't go wrong with them (and they offer up some thinner shapes).

Crupie gets my dollar next time I grab some wheels.

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #1095 on: April 23, 2018, 06:44:03 PM »
Expand Quote

Or I'm also maybe some Waywards, they also look promising! 

[close]

Waywards feel exactly like F4s to me, can't go wrong with them (and they offer up some thinner shapes).

Crupie gets my dollar next time I grab some wheels.

You should man, I'm ridding a set now and they are really good at a good price. I would get a second set but I'm at a point that trying stuff out is also part of the fun...

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

tangar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 64
  • THINK LESS
« Reply #1096 on: April 24, 2018, 09:29:20 PM »
Try Waywards if you haven’t already skatan, I loved them. My only gripe was I felt like they wore down really fast, but I was skating every day last year so I was probably just trippin.
Man the long board truck thing killed indy for me. I was willing to set aside the racism, but long boarding, gtfo... - DH

jamersonbass

• Rep: 70
« Reply #1097 on: April 25, 2018, 07:46:25 AM »
It seems like earlier on there was some criticism about Waywards that made me decide against trying them.  Do they slide well?  I'm basically an old man and don't skate super fast.  If they slide well I'll definitely try some.

Nlvl1608

• Rep: 0
« Reply #1098 on: April 25, 2018, 04:07:39 PM »
I bought a set of Waywards 2 days ago (52mm round cut.) They took me half an hour to push the bearings into the wheels. Then one of the front wheels got flatspotted 20’ into the first sesh. I also ordered a pair of shorts from their main website and I haven’t received them after almost a month. I called and sent email but absolute no communication. I think I’m done with this company.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 04:27:39 PM by Nlvl1608 »

pinkbananastatus

• Rep: 10
« Reply #1099 on: April 25, 2018, 04:17:11 PM »
Have F4s made Spitfire classics obsolete? I want a wheel thats a little softer and easier to ride over all the shitty ground here. I've been skating some of the Lurker Lou 95A Prize fighters for a while and they started off soft enough to flatspot pretty easily, but broke in to be a nice medium. I don't think I really mind minor flatspots, it's kinda hard to tell when you're rolling over rough ground. Would classics or 99A F4s be a better bet?
I don't really understand what's going on and I haven't read this thread yet, but I can tell I'm angry.

FrenchFriedClownFingers

• Rep: 117
  • evensteven
« Reply #1100 on: April 26, 2018, 02:58:17 PM »
I have noticed that nearly every skater i run into seems to be running spitfires, i hardly ever see bones in the wild. why is this?
even the steven

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1101 on: April 26, 2018, 03:31:32 PM »
Have F4s made Spitfire classics obsolete? I want a wheel thats a little softer and easier to ride over all the shitty ground here. I've been skating some of the Lurker Lou 95A Prize fighters for a while and they started off soft enough to flatspot pretty easily, but broke in to be a nice medium. I don't think I really mind minor flatspots, it's kinda hard to tell when you're rolling over rough ground. Would classics or 99A F4s be a better bet?

Seems like it. Not sure why a re-worked classic is even in the cards (unless there are die-hard pros in the ranks that dislike F4s)...I can't imagine anyone not really like F4s unless they need a different shape or hate wheels that yellow (not like the F1s/classics don't)?

OJs regular 101 formula does justice on rough terrain, doesn't feel like a 101 but slides like it.

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #1102 on: April 26, 2018, 07:52:04 PM »
wheel review: 
 I got the 54 keyframes.  kinda wish I went with the 52s.   I gotta use a riser pad with the 54s. My trucks are 184s so wheelbite is a bit more of an issue.  I like soft wheels and hard wheels.  there both fun.
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

Diocletian

« Reply #1103 on: April 27, 2018, 06:21:14 AM »
I noticed the rebirth of Powerflex wheels and it looks like they’ve come back strong. I’ve never tried wheels with cores in them but they seem to be of really high quality and use actual urethane as the core, not plastic. Made in USA, too. Anyone tried them out?

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1033
« Reply #1104 on: April 27, 2018, 10:43:28 AM »
I noticed the rebirth of Powerflex wheels and it looks like they’ve come back strong. I’ve never tried wheels with cores in them but they seem to be of really high quality and use actual urethane as the core, not plastic. Made in USA, too. Anyone tried them out?

my homie was given a set. He liked them but said they were too grippy. He now rides the Nora OJ's

Diocletian

« Reply #1105 on: April 27, 2018, 04:51:27 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

my homie was given a set. He liked them but said they were too grippy. He now rides the Nora OJ's

Good to know. OJ’s have always been unappealing to me, I guess I’ll stick with F4’s they are the best urethane formula out on the market, I’ve tried them all pretty much.

rob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #1106 on: April 30, 2018, 10:45:00 PM »
Anyone tried the oj insane a thane 99a?

I have a set of 101a I’m gonna give a second chance now that I have better bearings so maybe they won’t be as slow but from what I recall on feel they were like a softer bones stf like feel
yes

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1035
« Reply #1107 on: May 01, 2018, 05:05:19 AM »

I have a set of 101a I’m gonna give a second chance now that I have better bearings so maybe they won’t be as slow but from what I recall on feel they were like a softer bones stf like feel

Rob,

I almost bought a pair of STF based on your insistence that they are the fastest wheels ever. Then I read you are riding Spitfire and now this? Can’t you just stick to truck madness?

P.S. Can you post a pic of your spare parts bin? Would like to see your inventory.

GS77

concerned_parent

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 281
« Reply #1108 on: May 01, 2018, 05:09:00 AM »
who's got the OJ super juices

trying to set up a monster cruiser over here
good come sausage

NootNoot

« Reply #1109 on: May 01, 2018, 06:24:38 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Rob,

I almost bought a pair of STF based on your insistence that they are the fastest wheels ever. Then I read you are riding Spitfire and now this? Can’t you just stick to truck madness?

P.S. Can you post a pic of your spare parts bin? Would like to see your inventory.

GS77
I’ve been burned so many times reading robs posts including buying a set of stfs because of that exact post you are referencing him going to work and stf are the best so fast and smooth gain speed the best. I lurked these forums for the last year and I’ve witnessed:
Destructo are the best
No mini logo are
No destructo
No Indy’s
No gonna try royal sounds like a great truck
Royals suck destructos the best
Indy’s are the best
Thunders are the best cured my madness just bought 147 didn’t care about the colour and they are truly the best trucks 
No I was wrong Indy’s are so much better pop so nice like nothing else honestly the best truck is Indy
No got Ace and they are awesome
Tried my tensors with bones now I see why zered rips it makes me feel cool to skate his trucks
Tensor just suck honestly back to ace
Ace are okay but weird for flip tricks thunders are for me
Excited to see the new Indy stage 11.5 they will be amazing sounds like the best truck
I would never skate Indy anymore too tippy back to thunder and they are the best ace are okay too.