Author Topic: Wheels Thread  (Read 777841 times)

DaSk8D00D

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: -108
  • Can't Leave SLAP Alone the Game Needs Me!
Re: Wheels Thread
« Reply #1110 on: May 01, 2018, 12:12:56 PM »
Expand Quote
Anyone tried the oj insane a thane 99a?

I have a set of 101a I’m gonna give a second chance now that I have better bearings so maybe they won’t be as slow but from what I recall on feel they were like a softer bones stf like feel
[close]

Rob,

I almost bought a pair of STF based on your insistence that they are the fastest wheels ever. Then I read you are riding Spitfire and now this? Can’t you just stick to truck madness?

P.S. Can you post a pic of your spare parts bin? Would like to see your inventory.

GS77

I used to ride Bones STF all the time til the F4’s first came and skated those for a few years. I bought a set of bones stf v1s a couple months ago off the strength of a rob post and I’m happy i went back to them. I like their more reboundy feel & the fact that they actually handle rough terrain smoother than most other comparable wheels despite being harder. V1’s are like the perfect all around shape too. I still fuck with Crupies as my go-to small brand but I’m defintely in the Bones over spitfire camp now (although obviously spits are still great wheels)

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #1111 on: May 01, 2018, 12:55:09 PM »
Expand Quote

I have a set of 101a I’m gonna give a second chance now that I have better bearings so maybe they won’t be as slow but from what I recall on feel they were like a softer bones stf like feel
[close]

Rob,

I almost bought a pair of STF based on your insistence that they are the fastest wheels ever. Then I read you are riding Spitfire and now this? Can’t you just stick to truck madness?

P.S. Can you post a pic of your spare parts bin? Would like to see your inventory.

GS77

Ahaha yeah I would still ride stf cause they still are the fastest, grippiest but still slide and smoothest buttttt I like how spitfire has this board feel to them

I’ll post a pic on the trucks thread later tonight ahaha

But yeah idk, spitfire help me feel the ground and sadly stf turn the ground into smoothness that takes away from feeling my board
yes

Beeker

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 41
« Reply #1112 on: May 01, 2018, 03:49:32 PM »
who's got the OJ super juices

trying to set up a monster cruiser over here

These are legit. Not much to talk about except they are a good, big, soft, grippy, and fast as hell cruiser wheel.

If you want something a little harder that gives you an easier 'slide' (and two sizes) check out the Powell G-slides, and if you want something smaller but still soft try the Bones Rough Riders (also two sizes). All good cruiser wheels depending on what you want. I like the OJ's because they are super comfy and quiet and fast. I do wish they did a smaller size though.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #1113 on: May 01, 2018, 04:34:20 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Rob,

GS77
[close]
I’ve been burned so many times reading robs posts including buying a set of stfs because of that exact post you are referencing him going to work and stf are the best so fast and smooth gain speed the best. I lurked these forums for the last year and I’ve witnessed:
Destructo are the best
No mini logo are
No destructo
No Indy’s
No gonna try royal sounds like a great truck
Royals suck destructos the best
Indy’s are the best
Thunders are the best cured my madness just bought 147 didn’t care about the colour and they are truly the best trucks 
No I was wrong Indy’s are so much better pop so nice like nothing else honestly the best truck is Indy
No got Ace and they are awesome
Tried my tensors with bones now I see why zered rips it makes me feel cool to skate his trucks
Tensor just suck honestly back to ace
Ace are okay but weird for flip tricks thunders are for me
Excited to see the new Indy stage 11.5 they will be amazing sounds like the best truck
I would never skate Indy anymore too tippy back to thunder and they are the best ace are okay too.

this is the short version too!

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #1114 on: May 02, 2018, 12:43:02 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Rob,

GS77
[close]
I’ve been burned so many times reading robs posts including buying a set of stfs because of that exact post you are referencing him going to work and stf are the best so fast and smooth gain speed the best. I lurked these forums for the last year and I’ve witnessed:
Destructo are the best
No mini logo are
No destructo
No Indy’s
No gonna try royal sounds like a great truck
Royals suck destructos the best
Indy’s are the best
Thunders are the best cured my madness just bought 147 didn’t care about the colour and they are truly the best trucks 
No I was wrong Indy’s are so much better pop so nice like nothing else honestly the best truck is Indy
No got Ace and they are awesome
Tried my tensors with bones now I see why zered rips it makes me feel cool to skate his trucks
Tensor just suck honestly back to ace
Ace are okay but weird for flip tricks thunders are for me
Excited to see the new Indy stage 11.5 they will be amazing sounds like the best truck
I would never skate Indy anymore too tippy back to thunder and they are the best ace are okay too.

[close]
this is the short version too!

Ahaha can you blame someone who’s obsessed with skateboarding and wants the best and falls for most gimmicks?

But seriously I still stand by stf being the fastest and smoothest

I tested them against me being back on the formula 4 train and they were faster and did retain speed and roll better and felt smoother but they felt off compared to spits

They lacked feel between the board and ground which I like a lot cause it helps feel for doing tricks better cause I can’t always just foot position and pop out a trick I gotta get the feel on and adjust my feet how I wanna pull the trick out as I roll and feel out the street

also tried the oj insane a thane 101a today again and they’re very ehhhhh

They’re kinda sticky on the slide but do kinda slide, they roll smooth almost like an stf but they are as I claimed before...still slow, you get okay push speed but retaining roll was eh. I would get a few pushes then get that feel like when wind is going against you and you start losing speed and roll

They do feel smooth and can slide but compared to f4 or stf they’re still not up to par

I would say if you want speed and all terrain type street skating wheels stf all the way cause they will push through rough asphalt and all with speed

If you want more board feel as I mentioned like feeling the ground and knowing whether to push harder and or set your feet different different for a trick spits are those wheels

They both slide good, spits easier but just like my top 3 rideable trucks my top 2 rideable wheels would be f4 and stf, I’ve tried gold, pig, girl, wayward, ricta, and others but the top 2 are just reliable and great and won’t let you down

Also last note to this essay, if you can’t decide between f4 99 or 101 I highly recommend 99

Tried the 101 f4 classics and they’re not as fast or as smooth as the 99

The 101 just slip/slide easier
yes

DISTANT RUMOURS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 394
« Reply #1115 on: May 02, 2018, 12:23:08 PM »
Too old to still be good at skating but getting ''some love'' from spitfire is always nice...
got a bunch of new wheels to test and I'll try and post here what I think about them.

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
    • Instagram avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1116 on: May 02, 2018, 12:54:41 PM »

Don't trust this man. The 101s are faster, the 99s are smoother.

tangar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 64
  • THINK LESS
« Reply #1117 on: May 02, 2018, 09:32:36 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Like, at all
Man the long board truck thing killed indy for me. I was willing to set aside the racism, but long boarding, gtfo... - DH

concerned_parent

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 281
« Reply #1118 on: May 03, 2018, 05:30:25 AM »

good come sausage

NootNoot

« Reply #1119 on: May 03, 2018, 10:15:34 AM »
Too old to still be good at skating but getting ''some love'' from spitfire is always nice...
got a bunch of new wheels to test and I'll try and post here what I think about them.
That’s so awesome. Can you elaborate on what’s new? Is it a new formula or shape?

maggotspawn

• Rep: 4
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1120 on: May 03, 2018, 01:57:02 PM »
Threw the set of A1 Meats back on my cruiser/street board. They're 62mm/95a. They feel softer then 95a, more like 92a. Smooth ride and fast as @#$%. Faster then the Ricta Clouds I had on there. I got them off Fleabay for $15 shipped. I'm going to keep them on there for a bit, until I relearn how to skate.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2018, 02:32:50 PM by maggotspawn »

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 938
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #1121 on: May 03, 2018, 07:14:03 PM »
I came to enjoy my F4 radial slims eventually (until I took a huge chunk out of them, FU funbox screw) even tho I tend to like harder wheels like OJ/Ricta and SPFs.

Now, I'm on the fence as I want to try either Crupie, some new Rictas, Powerflex Gumballs (no 53s :()

Smartass

• Rep: 46
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1122 on: May 04, 2018, 12:37:13 AM »
I came to enjoy my F4 radial slims eventually (until I took a huge chunk out of them, FU funbox screw) even tho I tend to like harder wheels like OJ/Ricta and SPFs.

Now, I'm on the fence as I want to try either Crupie, some new Rictas, Powerflex Gumballs (no 53s :()

I’ve been digging my Crupies. Honestly I still think that F4s are slightly better, but not by much.

If you’re looking to save some cash on a set, google Crupie Zumiez and click on the links to each of the wheels. They’ll say they’re out of stock online, but check and see if your local ones have them in stock. I picked mine up for $13, and have seen some recently for $15. I know it’s not core to buy from Zumiez, but you can’t beat a good set of wheels for $15.

GardenSkater77

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1035
« Reply #1123 on: May 04, 2018, 10:37:36 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

This is what you need...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--eCe4F3x6w

Dad you're embarrassing me

• Rep: 66
« Reply #1124 on: May 05, 2018, 10:24:26 PM »
Expand Quote
I noticed the rebirth of Powerflex wheels and it looks like they’ve come back strong. I’ve never tried wheels with cores in them but they seem to be of really high quality and use actual urethane as the core, not plastic. Made in USA, too. Anyone tried them out?
[close]

my homie was given a set. He liked them but said they were too grippy. He now rides the Nora OJ's

I’m on them for big polished concrete bowls. They are a bit on the grippy side but that’s what I was chasing

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #1125 on: May 06, 2018, 01:00:50 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
Like, at all

I skate 5-6 days a week 5 of those day commuting to work with my street setup so at lunch I can skate around before I turn old and I can’t flip my board anymore, anyways

My 2 miles to work and to home from work I test my wheels and I use the same bearings every time

The f4 classic 101 were definitely out the gate and broken in slower and didn’t have a long roll

They felt so laggy compared to my gt f4 classic 99a, the 101 definitely did slide way easier and longer and all that slipping and sliding you guys wanna do but seriously they had no long roll or smoothness compared to 99a which I also got a set of the radial slim in and man they are fast and smooth

You guys who back the 101 being faster are probably testing them at the park, I don’t do parks

They’re played out to keep you off the mean streets

But really I dislike skate parks cause they make skating easier by setting up the obstacles rather than doing it the old way finding spots and/or having a classic parking lot sesh on real asphalt and concrete

that smooth baby oil park floor that makes tre flips easy to do is just not street

Also dealing with all the alpha skaters and kids who wanna snake you and claim territory cause “locals only” and scooter kids
yes

JumpManShorty

• Rep: -86
« Reply #1126 on: May 06, 2018, 02:01:51 PM »
Hey pals, should I buy the f4 lock ins because the graphic is awesome, or the conicals cause that's what I always skate?

ChuckRamone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 523
« Reply #1127 on: May 06, 2018, 02:14:17 PM »
does anyone else think conicals make the board harder to flip and want to lie flat more than the classics? I don’t know if this is mental but I think that sometimes when skating my setup with conicals.

hey pickle

« Reply #1128 on: May 07, 2018, 06:42:21 AM »
does anyone else think conicals make the board harder to flip and want to lie flat more than the classics? I don’t know if this is mental but I think that sometimes when skating my setup with conicals.

they (conical wheels) 100% make it harder to flip the board

Firebert

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #1129 on: May 07, 2018, 07:10:02 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
Like, at all
[close]

I skate 5-6 days a week 5 of those day commuting to work...

Well that makes sense, you are comparing two different things according to one metric. If you take street racing tires off road and compare them to off road tires, the off road tires will seem faster. That is why I said 101's are faster and 99s are smoother - smoother wheels seem faster on rough ground because they have rebound to absorb the shock of uneven surfaces. A harder wheel will retain speed on optimal conditions though. It's not that one is better than the other, they are both just better for different purposes.

ballintoohard

« Reply #1130 on: May 11, 2018, 11:02:14 AM »
Always been on Classics. Didn't like Conicals, was thinking of trying Radial Slims since they've got about the same riding surface but are a narrower wheel. Anyone else make the switch and like it or have input?

TwisT

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1033
« Reply #1131 on: May 11, 2018, 01:46:39 PM »
Always been on Classics. Didn't like Conicals, was thinking of trying Radial Slims since they've got about the same riding surface but are a narrower wheel. Anyone else make the switch and like it or have input?

I have radial slims. They have a narrower riding surface but the actual wheel isn't slimmer. like if I laid them down flat next to my ricta naturals, they are taller. That being said I dont know how they compare to other spitefire wheels.

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1152
« Reply #1132 on: May 11, 2018, 02:14:57 PM »
hardly art, hardly starving

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #1133 on: May 12, 2018, 12:05:10 PM »
Just wanted to tell everyone that Keyframes are the truth! Fucking awesome cruiser wheels.

Been cruising with my big setup I got after breaking my leg with 60 mm 78A Ricta Clouds lately. Took it apart cuz it has a Jason "Nazi" Jessee graphic on it and I want to paint it but that kinda got delayed and I didn't want to put it back together and skate a deck with that kook's name on it, so I've been cruising on my old cruiser with 54 mm Keyframes on it and god damn. They roll so nicely. Not much difference in the 60 mm Clouds to the 54 mm Keyframes on how they handle rough terrain, but having 54 mm wheels instead of 60 mm and no risers is so much better. Ollieing actually works the same as with my other set ups as I use 54 mm wheels on those too. With the big cruiser it's a fucking chore to ollie. My leg is good enough that I don't need the big wheels anymore (probably never did), so I guess the big cruiser will get less and less use and I'll just go with my Keyframes if I'm going cruising.

Too bad OJ sponsors that fucking Nazi too. Maybe the 86A Ricta Clouds could be similar quality. 🤔 Spitfire 80HD Chargers at least are fucking crap compared to Keyframes.

Diocletian

« Reply #1134 on: May 12, 2018, 10:43:29 PM »
Have Spitfire Classics always been made in Mexico? I thought all their wheels were poured in USA.

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 157
« Reply #1135 on: May 13, 2018, 01:11:18 AM »
Just wanted to tell everyone that Keyframes are the truth! Fucking awesome cruiser wheels.

Been cruising with my big setup I got after breaking my leg with 60 mm 78A Ricta Clouds lately. Took it apart cuz it has a Jason "Nazi" Jessee graphic on it and I want to paint it but that kinda got delayed and I didn't want to put it back together and skate a deck with that kook's name on it, so I've been cruising on my old cruiser with 54 mm Keyframes on it and god damn. They roll so nicely. Not much difference in the 60 mm Clouds to the 54 mm Keyframes on how they handle rough terrain, but having 54 mm wheels instead of 60 mm and no risers is so much better. Ollieing actually works the same as with my other set ups as I use 54 mm wheels on those too. With the big cruiser it's a fucking chore to ollie. My leg is good enough that I don't need the big wheels anymore (probably never did), so I guess the big cruiser will get less and less use and I'll just go with my Keyframes if I'm going cruising.

Too bad OJ sponsors that fucking Nazi too. Maybe the 86A Ricta Clouds could be similar quality. 🤔 Spitfire 80HD Chargers at least are fucking crap compared to Keyframes.
I use Bones ATF 54 mm’s here in Turku and I agree that you don’t really need wheels bigger that 55mm to cruise around if formula is right...
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

drinny

• Rep: 22
« Reply #1136 on: May 16, 2018, 10:58:23 AM »
Some days I just feel like running keyframes on my "normal" street setup and having done with it all for good.... Just gotta try these F4 101s in summer first :)

thebacker

« Reply #1137 on: May 16, 2018, 03:05:15 PM »
What’s up with those new ojs?

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 938
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #1138 on: May 16, 2018, 03:26:59 PM »
What’s up with those new ojs?

Haven't heard a thing. Wasn't 144p supposed to get samples or something?

bbk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 278
  • Dopeness
« Reply #1139 on: May 17, 2018, 03:45:35 PM »
I'm sure this has been talked about, so sorry, but with sml, do you want og or ag? I'm trying out a bunch of stuff now, i've ridden ricta, waywards. I like slick wheels like stf and f4 101