Author Topic: Wheels Thread  (Read 777992 times)

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 938
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
Re: Wheels Thread
« Reply #1140 on: May 17, 2018, 08:44:42 PM »
Just wanted to tell everyone that Keyframes are the truth! Fucking awesome cruiser wheels.

Been cruising with my big setup I got after breaking my leg with 60 mm 78A Ricta Clouds lately. Took it apart cuz it has a Jason "Nazi" Jessee graphic on it and I want to paint it but that kinda got delayed and I didn't want to put it back together and skate a deck with that kook's name on it, so I've been cruising on my old cruiser with 54 mm Keyframes on it and god damn. They roll so nicely. Not much difference in the 60 mm Clouds to the 54 mm Keyframes on how they handle rough terrain, but having 54 mm wheels instead of 60 mm and no risers is so much better. Ollieing actually works the same as with my other set ups as I use 54 mm wheels on those too. With the big cruiser it's a fucking chore to ollie. My leg is good enough that I don't need the big wheels anymore (probably never did), so I guess the big cruiser will get less and less use and I'll just go with my Keyframes if I'm going cruising.

Too bad OJ sponsors that fucking Nazi too. Maybe the 86A Ricta Clouds could be similar quality. 🤔 Spitfire 80HD Chargers at least are fucking crap compared to Keyframes.

Art will come and cut you dude!

Roisto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #1141 on: May 17, 2018, 08:49:45 PM »
Expand Quote
Just wanted to tell everyone that Keyframes are the truth! Fucking awesome cruiser wheels.

Been cruising with my big setup I got after breaking my leg with 60 mm 78A Ricta Clouds lately. Took it apart cuz it has a Jason "Nazi" Jessee graphic on it and I want to paint it but that kinda got delayed and I didn't want to put it back together and skate a deck with that kook's name on it, so I've been cruising on my old cruiser with 54 mm Keyframes on it and god damn. They roll so nicely. Not much difference in the 60 mm Clouds to the 54 mm Keyframes on how they handle rough terrain, but having 54 mm wheels instead of 60 mm and no risers is so much better. Ollieing actually works the same as with my other set ups as I use 54 mm wheels on those too. With the big cruiser it's a fucking chore to ollie. My leg is good enough that I don't need the big wheels anymore (probably never did), so I guess the big cruiser will get less and less use and I'll just go with my Keyframes if I'm going cruising.

Too bad OJ sponsors that fucking Nazi too. Maybe the 86A Ricta Clouds could be similar quality. 🤔 Spitfire 80HD Chargers at least are fucking crap compared to Keyframes.
[close]

Art will come and cut you dude!

?

Sad Hippo

« Reply #1142 on: May 17, 2018, 09:10:14 PM »
I'm sure this has been talked about, so sorry, but with sml, do you want og or ag? I'm trying out a bunch of stuff now, i've ridden ricta, waywards. I like slick wheels like stf and f4 101
I just got some AG (which stands for Austyn Gillette I guess) Josh Pall's. Honestly they feel more like spit classics than a hard stf.

I don't need wheels but Dial Tone has piqued my interest.  If anyone tries them out shoot us a review.

ballintoohard

« Reply #1143 on: May 18, 2018, 03:07:09 PM »
Been on Spitfire classics and got some conicals- what am I spost to notice? They feel slightly smoother, that's about it.  Some tricks feel harder and crooks aren't as easy to lock into it seems.

DaSk8D00D

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: -108
  • Can't Leave SLAP Alone the Game Needs Me!
« Reply #1144 on: May 20, 2018, 10:13:04 AM »
Back on my Crupies again after having multiple bearings seize in bones STF (just did a quick wheel swap instead of pulling em out) and damn I forgot why I loved these so much. The squeal they make on 180 tricks & reverts is just

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #1145 on: May 20, 2018, 12:44:34 PM »
If you are from europe and want to try something different go with FSWC (Fast Skateboard Wheel Co.)
I bought a set the other day out of curiosity and they feel super good, on pair with any other big brand, crispy white, super fast and slide well. The price is pretty good, 29pounds, with free shipping inside europe (thats basically half of a F4 set). They also have a sick squad (sour boyzz in the house), and a no bullshit image which is a plus. Backing them hard!

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #1146 on: May 21, 2018, 01:47:38 PM »
I know someone posted about them a while back, but anyone mess with the Sml AG formula wheels recently? Thinking of trying a set.

burn_to_live

• Rep: -26
  • You had to be there.
« Reply #1147 on: May 21, 2018, 02:06:30 PM »
Yeah i'm just one of the Spitfire guys, riding Formula Four Classics
Gonna go down to the Bronx and hang out with the gonx

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1148 on: May 21, 2018, 02:31:03 PM »
Expand Quote
What’s up with those new ojs?
[close]

Haven't heard a thing. Wasn't 144p supposed to get samples or something?

My friend is skating these 'elite' formulas and they feel a lot like more of a bones product.  Hard but not plasticky.....

I'm a weirdo and skate longboard bearings (race reds) so my complaint n/a to most but the cores on spits don't feel consistent....on my bones they do...pop right in and it feels even....

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
« Reply #1149 on: May 22, 2018, 08:46:47 AM »
currently looking at some new wheels, bunch on sale such as 101a jake johnson ojs and 100a welcome orbs, anyone skated either of those? currently got formula fours

rEVOLVED

• Rep: 0
« Reply #1150 on: May 22, 2018, 08:10:23 PM »
Looking for something slightly softer but still fast that I can mob around on. I don't do any slides, ledges or rails. Just need to ride fast, pop some ollies, and play around with flip tricks here and there. Want something that blends comfort with speed. Mini logo 90a is tempting because of the price point. Also open to Ricta clouds, OJ keyframes, and Bones ATF. Any others come to mind, or can anyone help direct me?

tangar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 64
  • THINK LESS
« Reply #1151 on: May 22, 2018, 09:32:20 PM »
I would say try those 90a mini logos if they are cheap. Might give you a good starting point, if they are too slow or not grippy enough, go softer. If they are too grippy or feel sluggish, go up to 92a or 95a. I know some brands offer that.
Man the long board truck thing killed indy for me. I was willing to set aside the racism, but long boarding, gtfo... - DH

rEVOLVED

« Reply #1152 on: May 23, 2018, 12:48:24 PM »
I would say try those 90a mini logos if they are cheap. Might give you a good starting point, if they are too slow or not grippy enough, go softer. If they are too grippy or feel sluggish, go up to 92a or 95a. I know some brands offer that.

That's a great answer, thanks! I'd love to spend as little as possible to get a decent board set up for this summer. I'm thinking 56 or 58, but some people seem to think that's crazy. With the wheels being so soft, I feel like 56 might be enough. I don't mind using risers, but I ride Thunders, which I've heard are low in nature, and I ride looooose trucks and love making sharp turns like on a cruiser/longboard.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1153 on: May 23, 2018, 02:02:55 PM »
currently looking at some new wheels, bunch on sale such as 101a jake johnson ojs and 100a welcome orbs, anyone skated either of those? currently got formula fours

Stay away from any OJs that are not Insane-a-thanes unless you ride really rough/raw streets, then regular OJs are fine.

Never ridden the Orbs.

Coming from F4s, you'll be hard pressed to match them depending on what you like about them. I recently switched to STFs V1s and am really enjoying them.

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
« Reply #1154 on: May 23, 2018, 02:22:12 PM »
yeah i had stf v5s before the 101a formula fours and if anything i feel like i enjoyed the stfs more. i live in england and in an ex mining area at that so definitely not the best spots around. that being said i do mostly skate park/transition but with summer coming up i really dont want to be cooped up in the same park with scooter kids on their school holidays so itll definitely be more street orientated.

also want to try and hit some of the rougher lesser skated spots up here and film some shit for a video. we straight up have a fucking street half pipe spot nobody likes skating because its brick and im just like are you fucking kidding me this is the sickest shit

curbdrop

• Rep: 3
« Reply #1155 on: May 23, 2018, 02:43:33 PM »

I'm running Orbs Spectre 56's and they are great at the park.

Also agree that the 90A mini logos are great, especially here in crusty ass Florida.

Italianshredder96

• Rep: 8
« Reply #1156 on: May 25, 2018, 08:11:47 AM »
I bought f4s 54mm conical 5 months ago...they're now already 50.5mm and slow af, my oj insanethane hardline to get to 50.5mm literally took 11 months.

I love the conical shape, next i want to try stf v5, will they last me longer and will they be faster? Is the v5 shape similar?

BMCsteve

• Rep: 54
« Reply #1157 on: May 25, 2018, 08:53:39 AM »
I bought f4s 54mm conical 5 months ago...they're now already 50.5mm and slow af, my oj insanethane hardline to get to 50.5mm literally took 11 months.

I love the conical shape, next i want to try stf v5, will they last me longer and will they be faster? Is the v5 shape similar?

I'm assuming you had the 99a F4's.  Try the 101a

Basingstoke

• Rep: 29
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1158 on: May 25, 2018, 12:06:28 PM »
Decided to make a change from my usual diet of Spitfires and get a set of Wayward Fairfax Three Stack 52mm 99a Funnel Cuts.

rEVOLVED

« Reply #1159 on: May 26, 2018, 06:27:51 AM »
Looking to shop some sales this weekend. Probably going to grab some mini logo 90a that I can cruise comfortably on and still ollie around town. I don't mind throwing risers on if need be... I can't decide between 56 and 58

maggotspawn

• Rep: 4
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1160 on: May 26, 2018, 04:55:35 PM »
Went by the local shop looking for some SF 101a F4's. They were out, so I snagged some 55 mm 83b STF's.
I still need to break them in, but they don't feel much harder then the 99a F4 SF's I was riding. They slide about the same.

CrumblingInfrastructure

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 289
« Reply #1161 on: May 26, 2018, 08:31:50 PM »
Anyone got any info on Dial Tone wheels or SML softer wheels like the Coffee Cruisers? I have the 99a SMLs on my small setup and dig them. I have the 99a F4 conical wides on another setup and like them a lot too. My cruiser has the 60mm OJ hot juice wheels. 78a they can ride pretty smooth on crusty ass spots but I think 60mm is a bit too much and I want to see about a different company for my cruiser after I wear them out.

Beeker

• Rep: 41
« Reply #1162 on: May 27, 2018, 08:43:27 AM »
Back on my Crupies again after having multiple bearings seize in bones STF (just did a quick wheel swap instead of pulling em out) and damn I forgot why I loved these so much. The squeal they make on 180 tricks & reverts is just

Really liking my Crupies (the wider tiagos) that I've been riding for couple weeks. They feel harder than any wheel I've ridden lately (F4 or STF), but still have a great roll on less than perfect terrain. Great sound when reverting, but also when stomping tricks they are louder than other wheels. They are really durable also, took a while to get rid of the treads.

At first I was bummed because they seem to have stickier sides, they pick up more wax from ledges than most... but after learning to push my crooks a little more they have actually become more consistent and I can pop out better because I am pushing with my front foot so it helps me jump back a bit.

Only problem is that it seems you can only get the wider ones direct.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1163 on: May 27, 2018, 09:42:34 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Really liking my Crupies (the wider tiagos) that I've been riding for couple weeks. They feel harder than any wheel I've ridden lately (F4 or STF), but still have a great roll on less than perfect terrain. Great sound when reverting, but also when stomping tricks they are louder than other wheels. They are really durable also, took a while to get rid of the treads.

At first I was bummed because they seem to have stickier sides, they pick up more wax from ledges than most... but after learning to push my crooks a little more they have actually become more consistent and I can pop out better because I am pushing with my front foot so it helps me jump back a bit.

Only problem is that it seems you can only get the wider ones direct.

I was looking at those a while back (went with STFs instead) - how wide are they compared to whatever F4s you were riding?

Beeker

• Rep: 41
« Reply #1164 on: May 27, 2018, 10:17:36 AM »

I was looking at those a while back (went with STFs instead) - how wide are they compared to whatever F4s you were riding?

They are about the exact same width as the Ishod F4's I was riding which are conical. If you skate 51mm you can still get the Tiago's from Tactics, but otherwise almost all their wheels are thinner.

CrumblingInfrastructure

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 289
« Reply #1165 on: May 27, 2018, 06:52:59 PM »
Expand Quote
Anyone got any info on Dial Tone wheels or SML softer wheels like the Coffee Cruisers? I have the 99a SMLs on my small setup and dig them. I have the 99a F4 conical wides on another setup and like them a lot too. My cruiser has the 60mm OJ hot juice wheels. 78a they can ride pretty smooth on crusty ass spots but I think 60mm is a bit too much and I want to see about a different company for my cruiser after I wear them out.
[close]

My Sml Coffee Cruisers weren’t so great. They’re soft and reasonably fast and quiet but not made very well. They come with this huge extra ring of urethane around them leftover from the mold that actually started to come apart and caused the wheels to chip and chunk. The plastic core also started cracking after a few weeks. On the other hand the Sml 92A wheels in 54mm are the best smaller 92A wheels I’ve ever skated. They’re much faster than Spitfire, Ricta or OJ’s 92A wheels and last quite a long time. They ride like a cruiser but can take more of a beating and don’t slow down on really smooth surfaces. They’re a bit hard to find as they’re really popular but I’m told they’re getting more in about a month. Also, the new Powell 80A Clear Cruisers are fantastic! I have them in 59mm but they’re coming out with 55’s as well if you want smaller.

No idea about Dial Tone yet but the urethane color looks just like Waywards and Sml’s AG Formula which are both poured at the same place so I wonder if they’re similar.

Thanks for the heads up! Might have to try those 92a SML when I need a new set.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1166 on: June 01, 2018, 11:58:17 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

My friend is skating these 'elite' formulas and they feel a lot like more of a bones product.  Hard but not plasticky.....

I'm a weirdo and skate longboard bearings (race reds) so my complaint n/a to most but the cores on spits don't feel consistent....on my bones they do...pop right in and it feels even....

Elite Urethane - Available June 4th, 2018.

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1035
« Reply #1167 on: June 01, 2018, 06:44:55 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

My Sml Coffee Cruisers weren’t so great. They’re soft and reasonably fast and quiet but not made very well. They come with this huge extra ring of urethane around them leftover from the mold that actually started to come apart and caused the wheels to chip and chunk. The plastic core also started cracking after a few weeks. On the other hand the Sml 92A wheels in 54mm are the best smaller 92A wheels I’ve ever skated. They’re much faster than Spitfire, Ricta or OJ’s 92A wheels and last quite a long time. They ride like a cruiser but can take more of a beating and don’t slow down on really smooth surfaces. They’re a bit hard to find as they’re really popular but I’m told they’re getting more in about a month. Also, the new Powell 80A Clear Cruisers are fantastic! I have them in 59mm but they’re coming out with 55’s as well if you want smaller.

No idea about Dial Tone yet but the urethane color looks just like Waywards and Sml’s AG Formula which are both poured at the same place so I wonder if they’re similar.
[close]

Thanks for the heads up! Might have to try those 92a SML when I need a new set.

SML 92a succulent dream wheels are the truth. They are a great cruser wheel. The shape is close enough to a regular wheel that you will barely know you are not on a 99a. They are more bouncy and gummy than 99a wheels, so tech is out, but they will work for street an park mashing

mynameisnotjeff

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 581
« Reply #1168 on: June 01, 2018, 07:24:04 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Elite Urethane - Available June 4th, 2018.

Is OJ still canceled on the Forum?
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

Kaydubbb

• Rep: 20
« Reply #1169 on: June 02, 2018, 09:34:47 PM »
Anyone skated wreck wheels lately? Would like to hear some thoughts on them. Cheers.