Author Topic: Wheels Thread  (Read 128810 times)

Beeker

• Rep: 0
Re: Wheels Thread
« Reply #1170 on: May 27, 2018, 08:43:27 AM »
Back on my Crupies again after having multiple bearings seize in bones STF (just did a quick wheel swap instead of pulling em out) and damn I forgot why I loved these so much. The squeal they make on 180 tricks & reverts is just

Really liking my Crupies (the wider tiagos) that I've been riding for couple weeks. They feel harder than any wheel I've ridden lately (F4 or STF), but still have a great roll on less than perfect terrain. Great sound when reverting, but also when stomping tricks they are louder than other wheels. They are really durable also, took a while to get rid of the treads.

At first I was bummed because they seem to have stickier sides, they pick up more wax from ledges than most... but after learning to push my crooks a little more they have actually become more consistent and I can pop out better because I am pushing with my front foot so it helps me jump back a bit.

Only problem is that it seems you can only get the wider ones direct.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 7
« Reply #1171 on: May 27, 2018, 09:42:34 AM »
Back on my Crupies again after having multiple bearings seize in bones STF (just did a quick wheel swap instead of pulling em out) and damn I forgot why I loved these so much. The squeal they make on 180 tricks & reverts is just

Really liking my Crupies (the wider tiagos) that I've been riding for couple weeks. They feel harder than any wheel I've ridden lately (F4 or STF), but still have a great roll on less than perfect terrain. Great sound when reverting, but also when stomping tricks they are louder than other wheels. They are really durable also, took a while to get rid of the treads.

At first I was bummed because they seem to have stickier sides, they pick up more wax from ledges than most... but after learning to push my crooks a little more they have actually become more consistent and I can pop out better because I am pushing with my front foot so it helps me jump back a bit.

Only problem is that it seems you can only get the wider ones direct.

I was looking at those a while back (went with STFs instead) - how wide are they compared to whatever F4s you were riding?

Beeker

« Reply #1172 on: May 27, 2018, 10:17:36 AM »

I was looking at those a while back (went with STFs instead) - how wide are they compared to whatever F4s you were riding?

They are about the exact same width as the Ishod F4's I was riding which are conical. If you skate 51mm you can still get the Tiago's from Tactics, but otherwise almost all their wheels are thinner.

CrumblingInfrastructure

• Rep: 25
« Reply #1173 on: May 27, 2018, 06:52:59 PM »
Anyone got any info on Dial Tone wheels or SML softer wheels like the Coffee Cruisers? I have the 99a SMLs on my small setup and dig them. I have the 99a F4 conical wides on another setup and like them a lot too. My cruiser has the 60mm OJ hot juice wheels. 78a they can ride pretty smooth on crusty ass spots but I think 60mm is a bit too much and I want to see about a different company for my cruiser after I wear them out.

My Sml Coffee Cruisers werenít so great. Theyíre soft and reasonably fast and quiet but not made very well. They come with this huge extra ring of urethane around them leftover from the mold that actually started to come apart and caused the wheels to chip and chunk. The plastic core also started cracking after a few weeks. On the other hand the Sml 92A wheels in 54mm are the best smaller 92A wheels Iíve ever skated. Theyíre much faster than Spitfire, Ricta or OJís 92A wheels and last quite a long time. They ride like a cruiser but can take more of a beating and donít slow down on really smooth surfaces. Theyíre a bit hard to find as theyíre really popular but Iím told theyíre getting more in about a month. Also, the new Powell 80A Clear Cruisers are fantastic! I have them in 59mm but theyíre coming out with 55ís as well if you want smaller.

No idea about Dial Tone yet but the urethane color looks just like Waywards and Smlís AG Formula which are both poured at the same place so I wonder if theyíre similar.

Thanks for the heads up! Might have to try those 92a SML when I need a new set.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1174 on: June 01, 2018, 11:58:17 AM »
Whatís up with those new ojs?

Haven't heard a thing. Wasn't 144p supposed to get samples or something?

My friend is skating these 'elite' formulas and they feel a lot like more of a bones product.  Hard but not plasticky.....

I'm a weirdo and skate longboard bearings (race reds) so my complaint n/a to most but the cores on spits don't feel consistent....on my bones they do...pop right in and it feels even....

Elite Urethane - Available June 4th, 2018.

GardenSkater77

• Rep: -4
« Reply #1175 on: June 01, 2018, 06:44:55 PM »
Anyone got any info on Dial Tone wheels or SML softer wheels like the Coffee Cruisers? I have the 99a SMLs on my small setup and dig them. I have the 99a F4 conical wides on another setup and like them a lot too. My cruiser has the 60mm OJ hot juice wheels. 78a they can ride pretty smooth on crusty ass spots but I think 60mm is a bit too much and I want to see about a different company for my cruiser after I wear them out.

My Sml Coffee Cruisers werenít so great. Theyíre soft and reasonably fast and quiet but not made very well. They come with this huge extra ring of urethane around them leftover from the mold that actually started to come apart and caused the wheels to chip and chunk. The plastic core also started cracking after a few weeks. On the other hand the Sml 92A wheels in 54mm are the best smaller 92A wheels Iíve ever skated. Theyíre much faster than Spitfire, Ricta or OJís 92A wheels and last quite a long time. They ride like a cruiser but can take more of a beating and donít slow down on really smooth surfaces. Theyíre a bit hard to find as theyíre really popular but Iím told theyíre getting more in about a month. Also, the new Powell 80A Clear Cruisers are fantastic! I have them in 59mm but theyíre coming out with 55ís as well if you want smaller.

No idea about Dial Tone yet but the urethane color looks just like Waywards and Smlís AG Formula which are both poured at the same place so I wonder if theyíre similar.

Thanks for the heads up! Might have to try those 92a SML when I need a new set.

SML 92a succulent dream wheels are the truth. They are a great cruser wheel. The shape is close enough to a regular wheel that you will barely know you are not on a 99a. They are more bouncy and gummy than 99a wheels, so tech is out, but they will work for street an park mashing

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 47
« Reply #1176 on: June 01, 2018, 07:24:04 PM »

My friend is skating these 'elite' formulas and they feel a lot like more of a bones product.  Hard but not plasticky.....

I'm a weirdo and skate longboard bearings (race reds) so my complaint n/a to most but the cores on spits don't feel consistent....on my bones they do...pop right in and it feels even....

Is OJ still canceled on the Forum?
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

Kaydubbb

« Reply #1177 on: June 02, 2018, 09:34:47 PM »
Anyone skated wreck wheels lately? Would like to hear some thoughts on them. Cheers.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1178 on: June 03, 2018, 09:08:48 AM »
Anyone skated wreck wheels lately? Would like to hear some thoughts on them. Cheers.

No marketing to stay they switched forumlas but they are hard and take a bit of effort to slide. If you ride STFs or F4s I don't think you'd like them.

Kaydubbb

« Reply #1179 on: June 03, 2018, 02:29:00 PM »

No marketing to stay they switched forumlas but they are hard and take a bit of effort to slide. If you ride STFs or F4s I don't think you'd like them.

I'm a bit of a weirdo, I didn't like STF's or F4 99a. The bones gave me more feedback than I like and the F4 didn't give me enough. I'm really enjoying my insanathane 101a atm. I've just been curious about wreck since I first saw them but I've never tried a a set.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1180 on: June 03, 2018, 02:39:00 PM »

I'm a bit of a weirdo, I didn't like STF's or F4 99a. The bones gave me more feedback than I like and the F4 didn't give me enough. I'm really enjoying my insanathane 101a atm. I've just been curious about wreck since I first saw them but I've never tried a a set.

If you like the OJ Insanes (of which I am a huge fan) you won't like the wrecks ;) Wrecks feel more like regular OJ formula.

Kaydubbb

« Reply #1181 on: June 03, 2018, 02:44:03 PM »

If you like the OJ Insanes (of which I am a huge fan) you won't like the wrecks ;) Wrecks feel more like regular OJ formula.

Night give them a miss then, thanks for the info.
Have you tried the 99a and 101a insanathane? If so which one did you like more?

Josh

• Rep: -1
« Reply #1182 on: June 03, 2018, 08:08:45 PM »

Through the shop I work at, our nhs rep was able to flow us a few sets a couple weeks ago. Upon first glance they have a similar off white color to F4ís. The shape is like a conical full, but the riding surface is thinner than what I expected. Almost like the spits radial shape. They are definitely on the hard side, similar feel to bones, but not quite as much. I did get a flatspot after a couple days, but after 20 minutes or so at the local park they evened out and have sense been fine. My boss had a similar experience as well. Overall the wheels so far have provided a smooth ride, thatíll do well in any setting. If you still want to support Oj/nhs after whatís happened with Jason Jesseís racist remarks, then I would recommend these. For me though these are a bit too hard for my taste and Iíve been a diehard spitfire rider since I was about 8. I will be going back to F4 99ís after a couple months of riding the elites.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1183 on: June 03, 2018, 09:24:03 PM »

Night give them a miss then, thanks for the info.
Have you tried the 99a and 101a insanathane? If so which one did you like more?

Only the 101s (in all three shapes of which I prefer: Hardline (thinnest)>Universal>EZ Edge

Looks like they're up for grabs at NHS and just a 'branch' of the insane-a-thanes, also, clearly off-white as noted above and in the photos:

"New and improved Insane-A-Thane ELITES formula by OJ. New ELITES urethane guarantees even more speed on any surface with the same quality and durability you've come to expect from Insane-A-Thane."

https://www.nhsfunfactory.com/oj-wheels/all-wheels

If I flat my STFs, I'll pick some up.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 04:35:26 PM by Xen »

Bubblegum Tate

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1085
  • Slap's Resident Sneakerhead
« Reply #1184 on: June 04, 2018, 09:25:44 PM »
Ethan Bubblegum Tate - Captain of the Harlem Globetrotters, lecturer of Physics at Globetrotter University.
Tate is one of the best posters that's not me

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1185 on: June 05, 2018, 07:14:47 AM »

Too bad that video sucks...so the Brand Manager says they're fast and will last, tactics kid says they're grippy and he'd recommend them. Pretty weak 'review' by all accounts there @tactics, what about the rest of the crew's feedback?

Shitty review rant aside, I'm guessing they skate fine ;)

Firebert

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -39
    • WEEKEND skateboards
« Reply #1186 on: June 05, 2018, 07:24:15 AM »
Too bad that video sucks...so the Brand Manager says they're fast and will last, tactics kid says they're grippy and he'd recommend them. Pretty weak 'review' by all accounts there @tactics, what about the rest of the crew's feedback?

No shit, right? A review by a severely interested party - compares them to no other brands, pretty much just says "they're better." I do like the shape, though.
I've hated immigrants ever since I got here.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1187 on: June 05, 2018, 09:52:26 AM »

No shit, right? A review by a severely interested party - compares them to no other brands, pretty much just says "they're better." I do like the shape, though.

http://ojwheels.com/elite-urethane

The Universal/Hard-edge (previously hardline) shapes are the thinnest, the EZ-Edge is round, like a classic
« Last Edit: June 05, 2018, 10:05:28 AM by Xen »

B. Hopper

« Reply #1188 on: June 08, 2018, 03:42:17 PM »
After nothing but Bones SPF and SF F4s 99 and 101s the last few years, I just set up a set of Reed Wheels 54mm. Killer feel and look great.
Gonna' try some Dummy Wheels soon too...
42 years young. Skatin' since '80. Take yours slams, get up smiling, say #thankyouskateboarding, and get back up and do it again. Because FUN.

roba

• Rep: 23
« Reply #1189 on: June 20, 2018, 01:35:24 PM »
opinions on pig wheels? anyone skated them lately?
I want a Hollywood movie about dudes in mesh hats forming bonds while pouring DIY 'crete

@grandroba

SneakySecrets

• Rep: -61
« Reply #1190 on: June 20, 2018, 03:30:21 PM »
opinions on pig wheels? anyone skated them lately?

Iíve thought about the same thing.  I rode pigs whenI first started skating, so I am a little sentimental about them.  Same deal with Lucky hardware.

tangar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 62
  • THINK LESS
« Reply #1191 on: June 20, 2018, 09:04:57 PM »
Bought lucky hardware recently to give my daughter the mini dice. She was stoked. Just purchased some dial tone conical 99s. Will report back with my opinion after a couple sessions. Anyone else try them out yet?
Man the long board truck thing killed indy for me. I was willing to set aside the racism, but long boarding, gtfo... - DH

DaveFuck

• Rep: 35
« Reply #1192 on: June 25, 2018, 08:11:35 AM »
my dial tones flat spotted 3 times in 2 weeks but other than that they were okay.
back to f4's

brucewillis

• Rep: -52
  • Die Hard
« Reply #1193 on: June 25, 2018, 09:20:21 AM »
i was riding the spitfire fomula fours 99's and switched to the classics because i've never tried them. Not a good decision, great feel but don't last. F4'S are the shit

tangar

• SLAP Pal
  • THINK LESS
« Reply #1194 on: June 25, 2018, 09:47:26 AM »
Fuck Dave. You got me shook, Iím gonna try them out today, I love F4s like everyone but just wanna go back to riding nice crispy white wheels. If these donít work Iíll probably go back to waywards.
Man the long board truck thing killed indy for me. I was willing to set aside the racism, but long boarding, gtfo... - DH

brucewillis

• Rep: -52
  • Die Hard
« Reply #1195 on: June 25, 2018, 10:14:13 AM »
Fuck Dave. You got me shook, Iím gonna try them out today, I love F4s like everyone but just wanna go back to riding nice crispy white wheels. If these donít work Iíll probably go back to waywards.
try the mike anderson SFW'S, those are the shit(if you find them)

DaveFuck

• Rep: 35
« Reply #1196 on: June 25, 2018, 10:18:06 AM »
They were really good otherwise. i wish i had more time to skate them because im sure broken in they would skate amazing but the flat spotting was too annoying

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1197 on: June 25, 2018, 10:55:19 AM »
Been on STF V1s for a minute (with bones swiss six), previously on OJ Insane-a-thanes or spit F4s radials...and everything just feels slow compared to the OJs (or SPFs) in a park setting...I can't seem to find 53mm thin'ish wheels that are hard as rocks.

« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 10:58:20 AM by Xen »

heritage

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1198 on: June 25, 2018, 11:14:35 AM »
Currently on SML. These feel nothing like the last set of SML I had. A year or so ago I tried the Knox Travel series and they felt like they were made from chewing gum. Slow and sticky as hell. It took me 30 minutes and they were off my board. Very odd because the set I had before that (Garcia wides) were great. Maybe the Knox wheels came from a bad batch. Anyway, these have been great.

I got Crupie Petersen 52 up next. I agree with Will's earlier post, I keep going back to Crupie wheels. Xen - I posted this pic for you if you are looking for skinny wheels. It's hard to really get a good idea from this angle but these are THIN as hell. Pizza cutter thin! IMO wheel manus have closed the gap on Spitfire and there are a lot of good choices available.

TwisT

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -13
« Reply #1199 on: June 25, 2018, 12:24:04 PM »

YES! I've been looking for then wheels! will look into crupie