Author Topic: Wheels Thread  (Read 128616 times)

Xen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 7
Re: Wheels Thread
« Reply #1200 on: June 25, 2018, 12:51:47 PM »
Currently on SML. These feel nothing like the last set of SML I had. A year or so ago I tried the Knox Travel series and they felt like they were made from chewing gum. Slow and sticky as hell. It took me 30 minutes and they were off my board. Very odd because the set I had before that (Garcia wides) were great. Maybe the Knox wheels came from a bad batch. Anyway, these have been great.

I got Crupie Petersen 52 up next. I agree with Will's earlier post, I keep going back to Crupie wheels. Xen - I posted this pic for you if you are looking for skinny wheels. It's hard to really get a good idea from this angle but these are THIN as hell. Pizza cutter thin! IMO wheel manus have closed the gap on Spitfire and there are a lot of good choices available.

I rode some .sml wheels a while ago, they had a similar shape to the thin ABs we all liked (did you ever get them btw?) they were slow and mushy and wouldn't slide.

Those crupies are too thin for my taste ;) Looking for the old ricta pro design ricta tablet shap, like an STF V2 (which I should have nabbed instead of the V1s but they were onsale!) but with conical edges.

https://rictawheels.com/ has some narrow wheels in that shape under 30mm wide but always in 99a or 52mm - I'd only get Rictas again if they had 101s in that shape at 53mm ;)

TwisT

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -13
« Reply #1201 on: June 25, 2018, 01:30:39 PM »

https://rictawheels.com/ has some narrow wheels in that shape under 30mm wide but always in 99a or 52mm - I'd only get Rictas again if they had 101s in that shape at 53mm ;)

I have the Westgate naturals, 53mm 101a according to tactics they are 29.6mm (https://www.tactics.com/ricta/westgate-pro-naturals-skateboard-wheels/natural-101a) but they were the thinnest 53mm 101 I came across at the time. I got burned on some spitfire slims because they have a slim riding surface, are physically a bigger wheel than my ricta where. Autobahn if can find them on the thinner side.

I'm gonna remember crupie for my next setup

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1202 on: June 25, 2018, 01:39:58 PM »

I have the Westgate naturals, 53mm 101a according to tactics they are 29.6mm (https://www.tactics.com/ricta/westgate-pro-naturals-skateboard-wheels/natural-101a) but they were the thinnest 53mm 101 I came across at the time. I got burned on some spitfire slims because they have a slim riding surface, are physically a bigger wheel than my ricta where. Autobahn if can find them on the thinner side.

I'm gonna remember crupie for my next setup

Those westgates were the 2.0 version, the 1.0 were much thinner; I had ordered a some Loy rictas (the purple ones) but sent them back as they were too wide. How did you like the 101s tho?

Looking for this! I'd grab some STF V2s if I wasn't sold on the STF feel still.

« Last Edit: July 22, 2018, 10:12:20 PM by Xen »

ballintoohard

• Rep: -3
« Reply #1203 on: July 10, 2018, 05:49:20 PM »
What are the various SML shapes like compared to Spitfire? I've had Classics and Conicals, currently on 99A conicals, but wanna try something else.

cosmicgypsies

• Rep: 114
« Reply #1204 on: July 11, 2018, 06:05:17 AM »
guy on ebay selling some 54mm 101d f4s skated once for half the price of a normal set. might pull the trigger, whats the consensus on 99d vs 101d?

brucewillis

• Rep: -52
  • Die Hard
« Reply #1205 on: July 11, 2018, 06:39:26 AM »
guy on ebay selling some 54mm 101d f4s skated once for half the price of a normal set. might pull the trigger, whats the consensus on 99d vs 101d?
really think you should pull the trigger, both 99's and 101's are great, and half price is fire

Jollyoli

• Rep: 47
« Reply #1206 on: July 11, 2018, 07:04:30 AM »
really think you should pull the trigger, both 99's and 101's are great, and half price is fire
^ agree, harder on the streets and fractionally slicker in the park. Make good skreeeetch. You're only gonna find out by trying them, and at half retail you have to roll the dice!
Hey, hey, hey, hey-now. Don't be mean; we don't have to be mean, cuz, remember, no matter where you go, there you are.
Buckaroo Banzai.

baustin

• Rep: 2
« Reply #1207 on: July 11, 2018, 07:07:20 AM »

99d for more slippery surfaces especially skateparks. Dampens the feel of rough ground but can feel too slow sometimes (to me)

101d for me takes it for street skating. They don't give as easily so it can be a rough ride but they feel fast and slidey when I need them to be, and they still have that classic spitfire feel (not plasticky at all)

Not Local

• Rep: 10
« Reply #1208 on: July 11, 2018, 08:17:04 AM »
Both great. I prefer the 99s though. The 101s are a little slippery for my preference.

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
« Reply #1209 on: July 15, 2018, 05:42:50 PM »
Has anyone here skated "Powell Peralta" wheels? Specifically the 97a's?

They just popped up in a Google ad on my browser. I rode 97 G-Bones back in the day but I wonder how they would feel now?

I'm happy with 99 F4s on my regular setup but I would like something a little softer to cruise on. I currently have older DTFs on my "big" setup but they are super bouncy and sluggish.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1210 on: July 16, 2018, 01:41:42 PM »
New Marketing...er wheels from NHS - right off the heels of the Elite Insane-a-thanes

slim, round (classic) and wide shapes (conical)

https://www.tactics.com/ricta

Slim 99a/ :(

Round 99a/101a

Wide 101a

« Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 01:52:12 PM by Xen »

TheVisitor

• Rep: -12
« Reply #1211 on: July 16, 2018, 06:12:39 PM »
Does anyone know which factory is doing the AWS Clone Wheels? Anyone ride them that can give feedback?

Thanks.

BMCsteve

• Rep: 6
« Reply #1212 on: July 20, 2018, 04:34:07 AM »
digging small-ish fat wheels lately

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1213 on: July 20, 2018, 10:26:50 AM »

been eyeing those, the purple swirly ones, as I have been wanting to setup a wide and low board (8.3/.5 with thunder tis

BMCsteve

• Rep: 6
« Reply #1214 on: July 20, 2018, 10:49:00 AM »

been eyeing those, the purple swirly ones, as I have been wanting to setup a wide and low board (8.3/.5 with thunder tis

Yup, I've got them on an 8.5 Real Full Shape and Thunder Ti

cosmicgypsies

« Reply #1215 on: July 24, 2018, 02:13:52 AM »
Caved and ordered some OJ insaneathane 101as, 52mm. Will let you know how they perform.

As for swirl wheels, don't do it. I thought they looked cool but after a few weeks I was sick of them (and if you're like me and enjoy having a nice looking setup it's kinda hard to match them).

cosmicgypsies

« Reply #1216 on: July 28, 2018, 03:27:01 AM »
Update; had my first session on the OJ's at what I'd say is definitely one of the slippiest parks around here. Definitely a change from the Formula Four full conicals as theyre way skinnier. OJ's are for sure on the grippier side in comparison to the F4's but not too dissimilar, could still get them to slide with relative ease. Also found they gripped in some places at that park I know the F4's would slide out on. I did note that when I've had certain wheels in the past known for being real slippy out the box ie STF's/F4's I'd be alot more nimble/careful the first session where as these were just chuck em on and hit the same lines straight away. Definitely a welcome change of pace.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1217 on: July 28, 2018, 09:59:57 PM »
Elites?

Which shape?

If the made a slim wheel I'd bite, Hardlines we're my favorite shape, universals a close second .

cosmicgypsies

« Reply #1218 on: July 29, 2018, 03:57:07 AM »
"OJ Wheels Concentrates Insaneathane EZ Edge Skateboard Wheels 101a White 52mm"

somedudefromnj

• Rep: -6
« Reply #1219 on: July 29, 2018, 05:07:57 PM »
Riding the hardline OJ hardline Elites right now and theyre a lot better than all the ones ive had before. Its been a while since Ive had wheels from another brand so i may be out of touch though. Will chime back in about a month from now

TwisT

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1220 on: July 29, 2018, 05:51:17 PM »

going from ricta naturals 53mm to crupie 101a 53mm. At the time the ricta's were the slimmest wheels I could find, but crape shaved off quite a bit

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1221 on: July 29, 2018, 06:50:58 PM »
Glad I never blindly bit on those westgates, fucking wide....not sure why everyone is into wide ass wheels.

Those Crupes look nice, the newer pics [metrics] on their site are hard to gauge width (derp, let's shoot white on white and not adjust contrast....) + they don't respond to emails so I won't buy sight unseen.

Did you ride them yet? Curious how they stand up against the rictas in terms of hardness and slide.

tzhangdox

• Rep: 18
« Reply #1222 on: July 29, 2018, 07:45:42 PM »
crupies are scarily slim. unless you skate perfect spots/parks only they're not very manageable. would have liked to skate mine more but it just couldnt handle rougher ground due to the slimness

TwisT

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1223 on: July 30, 2018, 05:14:24 AM »
It may be a week out two before I actually set them up. Waiting on a deck to show up and Iím traveling this week.

heritage

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 62
« Reply #1224 on: July 30, 2018, 11:02:18 AM »
Glad I never blindly bit on those westgates, fucking wide....not sure why everyone is into wide ass wheels.

Those Crupes look nice, the newer pics [metrics] on their site are hard to gauge width (derp, let's shoot white on white and not adjust contrast....) + they don't respond to emails so I won't buy sight unseen.

Did you ride them yet? Curious how they stand up against the rictas in terms of hardness and slide.

Not all Rictas are that wide. Just in their 'Naturals' series alone there was a variety of widths. They're not all the same. I bought a set of Hoefler Naturals (52) that are as skinny as those Crupie.

Specifically comparing Ricta NRG to Crupie...the Ricta NRG formula is really the best for slide, hands down. I am as neurotic about my wheels as you guys are about your trucks. I've been on the neverending quest to find my next favorite wheel after Autobahn stopped making the Brezinski slim, and at the moment the Ricta NRG is my favorite. The tablet shape, and the slide is perfect. I hate sounding like a damn advertisement but the slides are effortless. Crupie will give you a little more bite when you want them too, even the skinniest profile they offer. I like Crupie bc they're a great all around wheel. They will slide when you want, grip when you need.

Not to confuse the conversation, but that last set of SML I skated (Suciu slim) really have me messed up because they are killer and NOTHING like the gummy, soft mess that were the SML Knox travel series I had a year or two ago.

Firebert

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -39
    • WEEKEND skateboards
« Reply #1225 on: July 30, 2018, 11:11:19 AM »
F4 with the classic logo! Shout out humidity! Hope to see y'all again soon.
I've hated immigrants ever since I got here.

TwisT

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1226 on: July 30, 2018, 12:22:12 PM »

Not all Rictas are that wide. Just in their 'Naturals' series alone there was a variety of widths. They're not all the same. I bought a set of Hoefler Naturals (52) that are as skinny as those Crupie.

Specifically comparing Ricta NRG to Crupie...the Ricta NRG formula is really the best for slide, hands down. I am as neurotic about my wheels as you guys are about your trucks. I've been on the neverending quest to find my next favorite wheel after Autobahn stopped making the Brezinski slim, and at the moment the Ricta NRG is my favorite. The tablet shape, and the slide is perfect. I hate sounding like a damn advertisement but the slides are effortless. Crupie will give you a little more bite when you want them too, even the skinniest profile they offer. I like Crupie bc they're a great all around wheel. They will slide when you want, grip when you need.

brenzinski is on crupie now. Ricta doesn't make a slim bigger than 52mm. I haven't seen any in person and just doing research I haven't found any online from the few sites that list width. I was skating speedring's before and I loved them.

heritage

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1227 on: July 30, 2018, 12:36:32 PM »
Twist - Yes, Brezinski is on Crupie now. My post says since Autobahn stopped making the Brezinski slim.

Here is a pic of my Ricta Hoefler Naturals. They are indeed a slim profile:

EDIT: Ah ok, I misunderstood what you were saying. You are looking above 52. These are 52.

TwisT

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1228 on: July 30, 2018, 12:53:09 PM »
Twist - Yes, Brezinski is on Crupie now. My post says since Autobahn stopped making the Brezinski slim.

Here is a pic of my Ricta Hoefler Naturals. They are indeed a slim profile:

EDIT: Ah ok, I misunderstood what you were saying. You are looking above 52. These are 52.

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/940/43697329982_c1a9e72d7a_c.jpg

yup, I skate 53's sorry if I wasn't clear. there's a width jump from 52mm to 53mm that brands do and it drives me nuts. Bones does it as well.

heritage

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1229 on: July 30, 2018, 01:25:15 PM »
Twist - nah that was my bad, I misread your post.

And I know exactly what you're saying. I've been on slim profile wheels for so long that everything else looks like monster truck tires to me. And specifically to your point, I was looking at Bones and didn't understand the sizable jump in width just from 51 to 53.