Author Topic: Wheels Thread  (Read 778107 times)

LeDave and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Not Local

Re: Wheels Thread
« Reply #1200 on: July 11, 2018, 08:17:04 AM »
Both great. I prefer the 99s though. The 101s are a little slippery for my preference.

Willie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #1201 on: July 15, 2018, 05:42:50 PM »
Has anyone here skated "Powell Peralta" wheels? Specifically the 97a's?

They just popped up in a Google ad on my browser. I rode 97 G-Bones back in the day but I wonder how they would feel now?

I'm happy with 99 F4s on my regular setup but I would like something a little softer to cruise on. I currently have older DTFs on my "big" setup but they are super bouncy and sluggish.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 939
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #1202 on: July 16, 2018, 01:41:42 PM »
New Marketing...er wheels from NHS - right off the heels of the Elite Insane-a-thanes

slim, round (classic) and wide shapes (conical)

https://www.tactics.com/ricta

Slim 99a/ :(

Round 99a/101a

Wide 101a

« Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 01:52:12 PM by Xen »

TheVisitor

• Rep: -13
« Reply #1203 on: July 16, 2018, 06:12:39 PM »
Does anyone know which factory is doing the AWS Clone Wheels? Anyone ride them that can give feedback?

Thanks.

BMCsteve

• Rep: 54
« Reply #1204 on: July 20, 2018, 04:34:07 AM »
digging small-ish fat wheels lately

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1205 on: July 20, 2018, 10:26:50 AM »

been eyeing those, the purple swirly ones, as I have been wanting to setup a wide and low board (8.3/.5 with thunder tis

BMCsteve

« Reply #1206 on: July 20, 2018, 10:49:00 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

been eyeing those, the purple swirly ones, as I have been wanting to setup a wide and low board (8.3/.5 with thunder tis

Yup, I've got them on an 8.5 Real Full Shape and Thunder Ti

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
« Reply #1207 on: July 24, 2018, 02:13:52 AM »
Caved and ordered some OJ insaneathane 101as, 52mm. Will let you know how they perform.

As for swirl wheels, don't do it. I thought they looked cool but after a few weeks I was sick of them (and if you're like me and enjoy having a nice looking setup it's kinda hard to match them).

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1208 on: July 28, 2018, 03:27:01 AM »
Update; had my first session on the OJ's at what I'd say is definitely one of the slippiest parks around here. Definitely a change from the Formula Four full conicals as theyre way skinnier. OJ's are for sure on the grippier side in comparison to the F4's but not too dissimilar, could still get them to slide with relative ease. Also found they gripped in some places at that park I know the F4's would slide out on. I did note that when I've had certain wheels in the past known for being real slippy out the box ie STF's/F4's I'd be alot more nimble/careful the first session where as these were just chuck em on and hit the same lines straight away. Definitely a welcome change of pace.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1209 on: July 28, 2018, 09:59:57 PM »
Elites?

Which shape?

If the made a slim wheel I'd bite, Hardlines we're my favorite shape, universals a close second .

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1210 on: July 29, 2018, 03:57:07 AM »
"OJ Wheels Concentrates Insaneathane EZ Edge Skateboard Wheels 101a White 52mm"

somedudefromnj

« Reply #1211 on: July 29, 2018, 05:07:57 PM »
Riding the hardline OJ hardline Elites right now and theyre a lot better than all the ones ive had before. Its been a while since Ive had wheels from another brand so i may be out of touch though. Will chime back in about a month from now

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1034
« Reply #1212 on: July 29, 2018, 05:51:17 PM »

going from ricta naturals 53mm to crupie 101a 53mm. At the time the ricta's were the slimmest wheels I could find, but crape shaved off quite a bit

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1213 on: July 29, 2018, 06:50:58 PM »
Glad I never blindly bit on those westgates, fucking wide....not sure why everyone is into wide ass wheels.

Those Crupes look nice, the newer pics [metrics] on their site are hard to gauge width (derp, let's shoot white on white and not adjust contrast....) + they don't respond to emails so I won't buy sight unseen.

Did you ride them yet? Curious how they stand up against the rictas in terms of hardness and slide.

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
« Reply #1214 on: July 29, 2018, 07:45:42 PM »
crupies are scarily slim. unless you skate perfect spots/parks only they're not very manageable. would have liked to skate mine more but it just couldnt handle rougher ground due to the slimness

TwisT

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1215 on: July 30, 2018, 05:14:24 AM »
It may be a week out two before I actually set them up. Waiting on a deck to show up and I’m traveling this week.

heritage

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 98
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #1216 on: July 30, 2018, 11:02:18 AM »
Glad I never blindly bit on those westgates, fucking wide....not sure why everyone is into wide ass wheels.

Those Crupes look nice, the newer pics [metrics] on their site are hard to gauge width (derp, let's shoot white on white and not adjust contrast....) + they don't respond to emails so I won't buy sight unseen.

Did you ride them yet? Curious how they stand up against the rictas in terms of hardness and slide.

Not all Rictas are that wide. Just in their 'Naturals' series alone there was a variety of widths. They're not all the same. I bought a set of Hoefler Naturals (52) that are as skinny as those Crupie.

Specifically comparing Ricta NRG to Crupie...the Ricta NRG formula is really the best for slide, hands down. I am as neurotic about my wheels as you guys are about your trucks. I've been on the neverending quest to find my next favorite wheel after Autobahn stopped making the Brezinski slim, and at the moment the Ricta NRG is my favorite. The tablet shape, and the slide is perfect. I hate sounding like a damn advertisement but the slides are effortless. Crupie will give you a little more bite when you want them too, even the skinniest profile they offer. I like Crupie bc they're a great all around wheel. They will slide when you want, grip when you need.

Not to confuse the conversation, but that last set of SML I skated (Suciu slim) really have me messed up because they are killer and NOTHING like the gummy, soft mess that were the SML Knox travel series I had a year or two ago.

Firebert

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
    • Instagram avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1217 on: July 30, 2018, 11:11:19 AM »
F4 with the classic logo! Shout out humidity! Hope to see y'all again soon.

TwisT

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1218 on: July 30, 2018, 12:22:12 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Not all Rictas are that wide. Just in their 'Naturals' series alone there was a variety of widths. They're not all the same. I bought a set of Hoefler Naturals (52) that are as skinny as those Crupie.

Specifically comparing Ricta NRG to Crupie...the Ricta NRG formula is really the best for slide, hands down. I am as neurotic about my wheels as you guys are about your trucks. I've been on the neverending quest to find my next favorite wheel after Autobahn stopped making the Brezinski slim, and at the moment the Ricta NRG is my favorite. The tablet shape, and the slide is perfect. I hate sounding like a damn advertisement but the slides are effortless. Crupie will give you a little more bite when you want them too, even the skinniest profile they offer. I like Crupie bc they're a great all around wheel. They will slide when you want, grip when you need.

brenzinski is on crupie now. Ricta doesn't make a slim bigger than 52mm. I haven't seen any in person and just doing research I haven't found any online from the few sites that list width. I was skating speedring's before and I loved them.

heritage

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1219 on: July 30, 2018, 12:36:32 PM »
Twist - Yes, Brezinski is on Crupie now. My post says since Autobahn stopped making the Brezinski slim.

Here is a pic of my Ricta Hoefler Naturals. They are indeed a slim profile:

EDIT: Ah ok, I misunderstood what you were saying. You are looking above 52. These are 52.

TwisT

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1220 on: July 30, 2018, 12:53:09 PM »
Twist - Yes, Brezinski is on Crupie now. My post says since Autobahn stopped making the Brezinski slim.

EDIT: Ah ok, I misunderstood what you were saying. You are looking above 52. These are 52.

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/940/43697329982_c1a9e72d7a_c.jpg

yup, I skate 53's sorry if I wasn't clear. there's a width jump from 52mm to 53mm that brands do and it drives me nuts. Bones does it as well.

heritage

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1221 on: July 30, 2018, 01:25:15 PM »
Twist - nah that was my bad, I misread your post.

And I know exactly what you're saying. I've been on slim profile wheels for so long that everything else looks like monster truck tires to me. And specifically to your point, I was looking at Bones and didn't understand the sizable jump in width just from 51 to 53.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1222 on: July 30, 2018, 06:13:05 PM »

I was going to bite on these but passed due to them being 99a (I wanted 101a) having ridden the pro nrgs Sandovals (perfect fucking shape/width)...then the whole fucking industry said, FUCKYEAH WIDE WHEELS BITCHES....

I'm going to bite on the new Ricta 'rapidos' (terrible name), probably go wide for 101 as the slims are only 99a (wtf? the only wheel out of the three to not get a 101...do techies only ride 99a or something?)

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #1223 on: July 30, 2018, 10:00:25 PM »
Does anyone know which factory is doing the AWS Clone Wheels? Anyone ride them that can give feedback?

Thanks.

I don’t know the factory but I have ridden the 83b more pricy ones and they feel like if you took a spitfire classic and added the capabilities and feel of a bones stf

They slide and stuff more like an stf and kinda feel like an stf but most of the time pushing it’ll feel like a spitfire classic then when you start sliding and rolling on certain terrain the stf feel will kick In

Overall they’re like if you took the wheels of a complete board(those Darkstar competes or whatever) and made them competitive with what’s the top of the market wheels of today, they slide and are very flat spot resistant but still feel kinda generic

Speaking of generic, has anyone here ever tried Darkstar master urethane wheels?
yes

BMCsteve

« Reply #1224 on: August 02, 2018, 01:59:21 PM »
Loved the NRG formula.  Definitely trying these next

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdUT8w0KDM8

FrenchFriedClownFingers

• Rep: 117
  • evensteven
« Reply #1225 on: August 02, 2018, 03:08:40 PM »
i can't decide which wheels to get for cruising. i had the bones rough riders 56mm 80a but i noticed they act like magnets for any metal debris that are on the streets. i was looking at the slime ball wheels 90a but i'm not sure what to get. i like the rough riders a lot but i think i need a harder wheel.

any advice?
even the steven

Beeker

• Rep: 41
« Reply #1226 on: August 02, 2018, 07:23:06 PM »
i can't decide which wheels to get for cruising. i had the bones rough riders 56mm 80a but i noticed they act like magnets for any metal debris that are on the streets. i was looking at the slime ball wheels 90a but i'm not sure what to get. i like the rough riders a lot but i think i need a harder wheel.

any advice?

Powell G-Slides are pretty similar to the Rough Riders, just harder.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1227 on: August 02, 2018, 09:22:42 PM »

I was going to bite but wanted the slims and they only come in 99a and they restrict duro to height on the round shape  - pretty lame.

FWIW, the wides and rounds are just about mm for mm to spitfire conicals and classics width and height ratios, i.e., 52mm rounds are the same width as 52mm classics.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2018, 09:51:07 PM by Xen »

BMCsteve

« Reply #1228 on: August 03, 2018, 05:50:31 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I was going to bite but wanted the slims and they only come in 99a and they restrict duro to height on the round shape  - pretty lame.

FWIW, the wides and rounds are just about mm for mm to spitfire conicals and classics width and height ratios, i.e., 52mm rounds are the same width as 52mm classics.

the review says they're pretty slick so I'm guessing a 101 with a slim riding surface might kill you

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1229 on: August 03, 2018, 08:25:19 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

the review says they're pretty slick so I'm guessing a 101 with a slim riding surface might kill you

While it may be true, I don't trust these SW reviews as far as NHS can pay them :) I was set on some 101 slims but  no go; picked up some purple spits instead!