Author Topic: Wheels Thread  (Read 777705 times)

TwisT (+ 1 Hidden) and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

shripshrapper

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -21
  • Shane Heyl 2020 #GOATPOTUS
Re: Wheels Thread
« Reply #1230 on: August 05, 2018, 08:51:41 PM »
Just tonight I realized how neurotic I've been getting about my wheels. For the past few weeks I've been regretting giving away my 99a F4's, but I have a second set that are perfectly fine.. they're just green. I haven't been able to get comfortable with them, but its seems way too ridiculous to let wheels go to waste because they're not the right colour.

I'm gonna skate them and get over this.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 938
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #1231 on: August 05, 2018, 09:12:22 PM »
Just tonight I realized how neurotic I've been getting about my wheels. For the past few weeks I've been regretting giving away my 99a F4's, but I have a second set that are perfectly fine.. they're just green. I haven't been able to get comfortable with them, but its seems way too ridiculous to let wheels go to waste because they're not the right colour.

I'm skating some purple f4s and they work just like the regular ones ;)

shripshrapper

« Reply #1232 on: August 05, 2018, 09:22:30 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I'm skating some purple f4s and they work just like the regular ones ;)

There's kids in africa that don't even have wheels!

nsskater1993

• Rep: 1
« Reply #1233 on: August 06, 2018, 04:14:32 AM »
Picked up some red 54 mm bones skatepark formula clears. I've been wanting to try them for a while now that we got a nice park to skate in town. Interested to see the difference in feel between the stfs and spfs in a park setting.

Dad you're embarrassing me

• Rep: 66
« Reply #1234 on: August 07, 2018, 01:18:16 AM »
Picked up some red 54 mm bones skatepark formula clears. I've been wanting to try them for a while now that we got a nice park to skate in town. Interested to see the difference in feel between the stfs and spfs in a park setting.

Clears always look like they'd ride like a cruiser wheel to me. Let us know if they ride like regular SPFs

nsskater1993

« Reply #1235 on: August 08, 2018, 03:27:47 AM »
It's funny that you mention that because they almost feel like a cruiser wheel when holding them in my hand. I haven't got a chance to skate them yet but they feel interesting. I also haven't tried regular SPF's so wouldn't really be able to speak on how they'd compare unfortunately. Anybody with experience with SPF's want to give me a quick review so I can see if there's any difference?

Dad you're embarrassing me

• Rep: 66
« Reply #1236 on: August 08, 2018, 12:59:18 PM »
It's funny that you mention that because they almost feel like a cruiser wheel when holding them in my hand. I haven't got a chance to skate them yet but they feel interesting. I also haven't tried regular SPF's so wouldn't really be able to speak on how they'd compare unfortunately. Anybody with experience with SPF's want to give me a quick review so I can see if there's any difference?

I haven't had a pair in years, but i remember they sounded dull on the pavement and they were grippy at the skatepark. I didn’t like them that much.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1237 on: August 08, 2018, 02:16:40 PM »
I've ridden both (in parks) and they feel the same. They're hard and grippy but slick IF they break free (like anything would be but these feel like ice at times); surprisingly they didn't feel softer like the Ricta Super Crystals do when compared to regular 'than of the same duro...but even if the clears WERE softer than regular SPS, it would still be hard to tell as they're both HAF.

Isn't most urethane clear to start and has to have pigment added to it?

shripshrapper

« Reply #1238 on: August 08, 2018, 03:00:56 PM »
I've ridden both (in parks) and they feel the same. They're hard and grippy but slick IF they break free (like anything would be but these feel like ice at times); surprisingly they didn't feel softer like the Ricta Super Crystals do when compared to regular 'than of the same duro...but even if the clears WERE softer than regular SPS, it would still be hard to tell as they're both HAF.

Isn't most urethane clear to start and has to have pigment added to it?

That's what I've heard. Personally, I'm waiting for the return of our lord and saviour jesus christ to come back and set the record straight.. And start a new wheel company that's gonna blow everyone away.

blo0mz

• Rep: -1
« Reply #1239 on: August 08, 2018, 03:01:12 PM »
Best wheels for a semi-rough street?

I live in New York just outside the city and my street is not nicely paved... it's not 100% shit but you definitely lose speed pretty quick. I'm running some old-ass 100a Spitfire 51mm F1 Classic Shapes. Anyone think upgrading would make a big difference? Thinking about trying the F4 conical fulls @ 99a 53 or 54mm. Or should I just save my money and deal with it?

shripshrapper

« Reply #1240 on: August 08, 2018, 03:10:43 PM »
Best wheels for a semi-rough street?

I live in New York just outside the city and my street is not nicely paved... it's not 100% shit but you definitely lose speed pretty quick. I'm running some old-ass 100a Spitfire 51mm F1 Classic Shapes. Anyone think upgrading would make a big difference? Thinking about trying the F4 conical fulls @ 99a 53 or 54mm. Or should I just save my money and deal with it?

I would say just pull the trigger on the F4 99a's, they're great wheels, you won't regret it. Just going to the new formula with a slightly bigger shape should help.

If you really want something for crusty/janky pavement, I'd look for some of those OJ ditch witches, I just took mine out for a spin yesterday. They smooth things out, while still riding and sliding (almost) like a regular street wheel (they're 92a).

Fifty8mm

• Rep: 124
« Reply #1241 on: August 12, 2018, 11:13:06 PM »
Can anybody recommend wide, Hard, around 99A, round wheels?
Not conicals.
My favorite wheels for a long time were spitfires 58mm F1 park burners. Conical.
Recently I got some 95a or so Cab wheel nice shape. Really round, wide, and they were around 56mm. Only problem is the softness of it.

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 525
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #1242 on: August 13, 2018, 02:22:03 AM »
Spitfire radials are pretty wide but not the boxy conical sort

TooManyPros

• Rep: 59
« Reply #1243 on: August 13, 2018, 12:03:56 PM »
Can anybody recommend wide, Hard, around 99A, round wheels?
Not conicals.
My favorite wheels for a long time were spitfires 58mm F1 park burners. Conical.
Recently I got some 95a or so Cab wheel nice shape. Really round, wide, and they were around 56mm. Only problem is the softness of it.

Bones P5
OJ EZ-Edge

Fifty8mm

« Reply #1244 on: August 14, 2018, 12:11:24 AM »
Thanks guys for the replies. I checked out the suggestions but the closest were the radials. I was looking at something that has the same shape but it is no longer available.
http://www.pusherwheels.com/product/jake-rupp-guest-pro-model
I really like the shape. So good. Any other suggestions? I spent hours looking for those wheels and they are gone everywhere.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #1245 on: August 14, 2018, 01:44:07 AM »
I’ve set up some waywards but I just don’t know... I think formula fours spoiled me too much 😢

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

hmmmokay

« Reply #1246 on: August 14, 2018, 07:38:50 AM »
I’ve set up some waywards but I just don’t know... I think formula fours spoiled me too much 😢

I'm really enjoying my Wayward's right now. I have the 52mm Round Cuts, which is the first non-conical shape (and smallest size) I've skated in years. Like yourself before these I had been skating F4's religiously but so far no flat spots or anything so I'm content. My initial reason for buying was to try something completely different, but not too sure if I'll get another set because I feel like they're gonna turn to dust way quicker than Spitfires.

Not Local

« Reply #1247 on: August 14, 2018, 08:13:40 AM »
Really been enjoying some 60mm 95a Bullets I had lying around for a long time. No chance of blunt slides or nose slides but everything else works. Not something I'd use permanently but I dig the nostalgic ride and I doubt I'l be able to flat spot them.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #1248 on: August 14, 2018, 04:53:59 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I'm really enjoying my Wayward's right now. I have the 52mm Round Cuts, which is the first non-conical shape (and smallest size) I've skated in years. Like yourself before these I had been skating F4's religiously but so far no flat spots or anything so I'm content. My initial reason for buying was to try something completely different, but not too sure if I'll get another set because I feel like they're gonna turn to dust way quicker than Spitfires.
do yours slide? I usually ride 99 F4 and these 101 waywards just seem really chalky and non cooperative, I’m hoping it’s just because I have worn through the grooves on them yet?

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

hmmmokay

« Reply #1249 on: August 14, 2018, 05:28:32 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
do yours slide? I usually ride 99 F4 and these 101 waywards just seem really chalky and non cooperative, I’m hoping it’s just because I have worn through the grooves on them yet?

I was going to comment on the slide in my original post and I couldn't quite find the way to describe it, but chalky sums it up perfectly.  That said, I can get them to slide but it does seem as though it takes some effort whereas the 99 F4s seem as though they can be more controllable, and feel more natural.  To add to that chalky-ness, they feel like they're going to wear away just a quick as a piece of sidewalk chalk so in the end they may not be worth it for the pricepoint.

SouthpawTRK

« Reply #1250 on: August 15, 2018, 12:20:43 AM »
I've been riding 56mm Spitfire Formula Four Full Conicals (99a), but have been thinking about going a bit smaller.  With the 56mm's I tend to get more wheel bite due to looser trucks and not wanting to ride a riser pad.  I'm debating on either going to a 54mm or 52mm (as well as going from Full Conicals to Classics).  Anyone that has any helpful insight would be greatly appreciated. 

Fifty8mm

« Reply #1251 on: August 15, 2018, 12:49:55 AM »
I've been riding 56mm Spitfire Formula Four Full Conicals (99a), but have been thinking about going a bit smaller.  With the 56mm's I tend to get more wheel bite due to looser trucks and not wanting to ride a riser pad.  I'm debating on either going to a 54mm or 52mm (as well as going from Full Conicals to Classics).  Anyone that has any helpful insight would be greatly appreciated.
I skate mostly 58mm till they get to 53mm or so, but I recently switched to some SML 54 mm due to wheel bite and its a great compromise, not my favorite size or shape but still pretty good....still searching for the perfect wheel.....

SouthpawTRK

« Reply #1252 on: August 15, 2018, 10:41:31 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I skate mostly 58mm till they get to 53mm or so, but I recently switched to some SML 54 mm due to wheel bite and its a great compromise, not my favorite size or shape but still pretty good....still searching for the perfect wheel.....

Thanks for the reply to my post and all of the helpful info!  I think I'm going to try some 54mm's first and see how they work out.  I realize that it's only a couple of mm's smaller than a 56, but we'll see what happens. 

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1253 on: August 15, 2018, 01:39:07 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Thanks for the reply to my post and all of the helpful info!  I think I'm going to try some 54mm's first and see how they work out.  I realize that it's only a couple of mm's smaller than a 56, but we'll see what happens.

The jump from 54 to 56, while only 2mm seems soooo massive underfoot; I tend to keep it at 54mm max (I don't skate vert or giant bowls).

GT, Barros, etc., ride smaller wheels and they blast.

SouthpawTRK

« Reply #1254 on: August 15, 2018, 11:17:35 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

The jump from 54 to 56, while only 2mm seems soooo massive underfoot; I tend to keep it at 54mm max (I don't skate vert or giant bowls).

GT, Barros, etc., ride smaller wheels and they blast.

Thanks Xen for the info as well!  I'm sure that the change from 56mm to 54mm will be a much different feel.  Thanks also for the info about GT and Barros; did not know they skated wheels in that size. 

HugeBodBoyle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 685
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #1255 on: August 24, 2018, 05:35:26 PM »
So, this is maybe a weird question, but I'm gonna ask...

Am I doing it wrong if I get a flat spot and I just say fuck it and go get some new wheels? I'm a grown man with a decent job...it's not like I am 21 and eating tuna straight from the can (which isn't bad and it sustained me). I can afford some more wheels when I want them.

Or am I expected to be core and just push through and hope it smooths out? Because I kinda feel like, "fuck that...I like smooth and fast."

Thanks for everything.

Beer and Peanuts

« Reply #1256 on: August 24, 2018, 06:14:15 PM »

Am I doing it wrong if I get a flat spot and I just say fuck it and go get some new wheels? I'm a grown man with a decent job...it's not like I am 21 and eating tuna straight from the can (which isn't bad and it sustained me). I can afford some more wheels when I want them.

Or am I expected to be core and just push through and hope it smooths out? Because I kinda feel like, "fuck that...I like smooth and fast."

Thanks for everything.

Nah, flat spots suck - you’re doing the right thing. I’m in a similar situation. I usually only get to skate on weekends and I’d rather enjoy myself than put up with shitty gear.

Not Local

« Reply #1257 on: August 24, 2018, 07:06:55 PM »

Thanks for everything.

I get great satisfaction working flat spots out. I've got a supply of wheels but I'd rather bomb some hills to avoid all that urethane ending up in a landfill prematurely.

I rarely get them though as I use Spitfire Formula Fours nearly all the time and if I do get one its small and irons out pretty quick.

colt cannon lunchbox

• Rep: -92
« Reply #1258 on: August 25, 2018, 02:44:35 PM »
Currently on some F4 Conical 54s 99d and want a bit of a change. I'm tossing up between two 101d wheels, a 52 slim and a 55 conical. I skate a slippery park and mostly skate the round rail and ledges and some small transition. My local doesn't have any 99d wheels in atm otherwise i'd be skating them. As the park is slippery i'm aiming more towards the 55s but I get wheelbite (really loose trucks) on my 54s so this would be even worse. I thought a 52 with a slim profile might making locking into grinds and slides a bit easier too...

What would you skate??

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #1259 on: August 25, 2018, 02:53:58 PM »
^ 99s. Wheel size has absolutely nothing to do with grip.