Author Topic: Wheels Thread  (Read 127552 times)

Xen and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Gay Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -384
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
Re: Wheels Thread
« Reply #1290 on: September 06, 2018, 05:17:39 PM »
New Waywards have treads now?
I think they're a fairly old pair. Anyway, I had to ditch them, formula fours have officially got me hooked for life

"This is untrue, my client has not been attacked in every country" #yearoftheeagle

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -402
« Reply #1291 on: September 08, 2018, 09:10:54 AM »
Spitfire's marketing:

RADIAL SHAPE
 control

RADIAL SLIM SHAPE
more control
:o

Well 'control' could mean 'grip' ( as I think your insinuating) but it also could mean manuverability in which case the more narrow wheel would give you more 'control'.
message of love (bring the mean locals cookies)

Xen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 7
« Reply #1292 on: September 08, 2018, 08:21:06 PM »
Spitfire's marketing:

RADIAL SHAPE
 control

RADIAL SLIM SHAPE
more control
:o

Well 'control' could mean 'grip' ( as I think your insinuating) but it also could mean manuverability in which case the more narrow wheel would give you more 'control'.

I'm not insinuating anything, that's Spitfire's actual marketing language (taken from their website) so it would be them, not me ;)

baustin

• Rep: 2
« Reply #1293 on: September 10, 2018, 12:17:48 PM »
What are people's thoughts on going down wheel sizes/skating small wheels? I'm thinking about trying out some 50mm after years of 52mm. I know that's not a big jump, but I'm hoping for less wheelbite and less interference on nose/tailslides. Has anyone sized down and liked it/didn't like it?

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1294 on: September 10, 2018, 02:43:22 PM »
What are people's thoughts on going down wheel sizes/skating small wheels? I'm thinking about trying out some 50mm after years of 52mm. I know that's not a big jump, but I'm hoping for less wheelbite and less interference on nose/tailslides. Has anyone sized down and liked it/didn't like it?

It's personal and based on what you skate. I'd skate 51s and a lower truck (ACE/Thunder/Venture) all day if I never touched tranny. One of my favorite setups were ACE los, a real lowpro and 50mm wheels, loved that thing.

heritage

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 62
« Reply #1295 on: September 10, 2018, 02:57:18 PM »

In the last few years I have steadily sized down from wide 54 to skinny/tablet 52 and haven't looked back. Now 54s look like tractor tires to me. In the early 00's I couldn't imagine going below 55. Bones STF V2 recently caught my eye but they only come in 51 or 53, so I am deliberating giving 51 a go.

schralp pal

• Rep: 22
« Reply #1296 on: September 10, 2018, 03:32:05 PM »
What wheel shape is best for coping, I usually ride conical fulls, but am starting to wonder if they make it more difficult to come back in fakie from 5-0s...

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1297 on: September 10, 2018, 04:28:56 PM »

In the last few years I have steadily sized down from wide 54 to skinny/tablet 52 and haven't looked back. Now 54s look like tractor tires to me. In the early 00's I couldn't imagine going below 55. Bones STF V2 recently caught my eye but they only come in 51 or 53, so I am deliberating giving 51 a go.

I KNEW IT! :)

Jollyoli

• Rep: 48
« Reply #1298 on: September 11, 2018, 03:03:26 AM »

A couple of mm's is a big thing, I find it more of a switch than deck width.
My area is crusty and my local park is ancient so had to settle with a compromise between retaining speed/flip control/wheel bite. Downsizing for ledge work feels good untill I have to push downhill or hyper-pump just to hit the next lip.
Got to find your own Goldilocks zone.
Hey, hey, hey, hey-now. Don't be mean; we don't have to be mean, cuz, remember, no matter where you go, there you are.
Buckaroo Banzai.

Dad you're embarrassing me

• Rep: 3
« Reply #1299 on: September 12, 2018, 12:52:16 AM »
What wheel shape is best for coping, I usually ride conical fulls, but am starting to wonder if they make it more difficult to come back in fakie from 5-0s...

My lack of balls is a far greater impediment to my 5-0 fakies than my wheel choice

cosmicgypsies

• Rep: 112
« Reply #1300 on: September 12, 2018, 04:05:25 AM »
i cannot for the fucking life of me figure out 5-0 fakies

Firebert

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -39
    • WEEKEND skateboards
« Reply #1301 on: September 12, 2018, 06:45:52 AM »
Don't turn your shoulders, weight on your toes coming in, that's my advice.
I've hated immigrants ever since I got here.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1302 on: September 12, 2018, 10:05:24 AM »
Don't turn your shoulders, weight on your toes coming in, that's my advice.

It's all in the back foot, watch this dude:

cosmicgypsies

• Rep: 112
« Reply #1303 on: September 14, 2018, 03:09:53 AM »
anyone tried speedlab wheels? wanting to jump back up to an 8.75 and chuck some 58s on there, debating wheel choices. nothing but good things with the OJ's ive had for nearly 2 months now just fancy a change and to be back on a wider wheel. also looking at 58mm spf 84bs or just bog standard spitfire classics.

Dad you're embarrassing me

• Rep: 3
« Reply #1304 on: September 14, 2018, 12:40:02 PM »
anyone tried speedlab wheels? wanting to jump back up to an 8.75 and chuck some 58s on there, debating wheel choices. nothing but good things with the OJ's ive had for nearly 2 months now just fancy a change and to be back on a wider wheel. also looking at 58mm spf 84bs or just bog standard spitfire classics.

Yes I have, they suck. Soft, slow, crazy grippy. And these were supposed to be a 99 duro or something.

Mystical Leader

• Rep: -67
« Reply #1305 on: September 17, 2018, 06:27:33 AM »
Bought the wayward tx wheel. Round slim cut 50mm 99a..

First day trying my wheels felt okay. My last wheel were spitfire f4 classic shape.. The best wheel there is so I'm not sure if I like these better..

The shape is nice though..

Jud Nestorkins

• Rep: -39
« Reply #1306 on: Today at 12:25:41 AM »
I have ridden 52mm only since my first set up but I have been wanting to size down for a while now.

Well I just got some 50mm classics (F4's) and rode them all day with no wheel bite and my noseslides on curbs felt as good as ever.

Plus I ride an 8.5 with 149 Indys and I love the look of a super small wheel on it!

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1307 on: Today at 02:38:32 PM »
Bought the wayward tx wheel. Round slim cut 50mm 99a..

First day trying my wheels felt okay. My last wheel were spitfire f4 classic shape.. The best wheel there is so I'm not sure if I like these better..

The shape is nice though..

The Wayward round slim shape is great, closer to a bones V1 than a classic. Waywards felt slower than F4s to me on smooth concrete.

I have ridden 52mm only since my first set up but I have been wanting to size down for a while now.

Well I just got some 50mm classics (F4's) and rode them all day with no wheel bite and my noseslides on curbs felt as good as ever.

Plus I ride an 8.5 with 149 Indys and I love the look of a super small wheel on it!

I'm with you!

Currently attempting to re-build one of my favorties setups: 8.3, low 149s (haven't decided yet, the old setup had the old thudne 149s back when they were super low) and skinny small wheels:

Got the deck and wheels, just need trucks!
« Last Edit: Today at 04:17:00 PM by Xen »

Switch_fsflip_noseslide

• Rep: -7
  • Nobody steals from Creed Bratton
« Reply #1308 on: Today at 02:53:17 PM »
Got two sets of dialtone wheels. Both skate great. Fast with no flatspots.

54mms conical and 52 grove conical.

Waiting to skate the kader spitfire 58mm
"Giovanni Reda sleeps with the fishes"