Author Topic: Wheels Thread  (Read 778243 times)

Curbfiend, mynameisnotjeff and 7 Guests are viewing this topic.

Dad you're embarrassing me

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 66
Re: Wheels Thread
« Reply #1290 on: September 12, 2018, 12:52:16 AM »
What wheel shape is best for coping, I usually ride conical fulls, but am starting to wonder if they make it more difficult to come back in fakie from 5-0s...

My lack of balls is a far greater impediment to my 5-0 fakies than my wheel choice

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
« Reply #1291 on: September 12, 2018, 04:05:25 AM »
i cannot for the fucking life of me figure out 5-0 fakies

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
    • Instagram avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1292 on: September 12, 2018, 06:45:52 AM »
Don't turn your shoulders, weight on your toes coming in, that's my advice.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 939
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #1293 on: September 12, 2018, 10:05:24 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

It's all in the back foot, watch this dude:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSg9zqc6WWY

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
« Reply #1294 on: September 14, 2018, 03:09:53 AM »
anyone tried speedlab wheels? wanting to jump back up to an 8.75 and chuck some 58s on there, debating wheel choices. nothing but good things with the OJ's ive had for nearly 2 months now just fancy a change and to be back on a wider wheel. also looking at 58mm spf 84bs or just bog standard spitfire classics.

Dad you're embarrassing me

• Rep: 66
« Reply #1295 on: September 14, 2018, 12:40:02 PM »
anyone tried speedlab wheels? wanting to jump back up to an 8.75 and chuck some 58s on there, debating wheel choices. nothing but good things with the OJ's ive had for nearly 2 months now just fancy a change and to be back on a wider wheel. also looking at 58mm spf 84bs or just bog standard spitfire classics.

Yes I have, they suck. Soft, slow, crazy grippy. And these were supposed to be a 99 duro or something.

Mystical Leader

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -130
« Reply #1296 on: September 17, 2018, 06:27:33 AM »
Bought the wayward tx wheel. Round slim cut 50mm 99a..

First day trying my wheels felt okay. My last wheel were spitfire f4 classic shape.. The best wheel there is so I'm not sure if I like these better..

The shape is nice though..

Jud Nestorkins

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -59
  • Only YOU can prevent corporate espionage.
« Reply #1297 on: September 18, 2018, 12:25:41 AM »
What are people's thoughts on going down wheel sizes/skating small wheels? I'm thinking about trying out some 50mm after years of 52mm. I know that's not a big jump, but I'm hoping for less wheelbite and less interference on nose/tailslides. Has anyone sized down and liked it/didn't like it?
I have ridden 52mm only since my first set up but I have been wanting to size down for a while now.

Well I just got some 50mm classics (F4's) and rode them all day with no wheel bite and my noseslides on curbs felt as good as ever.

Plus I ride an 8.5 with 149 Indys and I love the look of a super small wheel on it!

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1298 on: September 18, 2018, 02:38:32 PM »

First day trying my wheels felt okay. My last wheel were spitfire f4 classic shape.. The best wheel there is so I'm not sure if I like these better..

The Wayward round slim shape is great, closer to a bones V1 than a classic. Waywards felt slower than F4s to me on smooth concrete.

Expand Quote
What are people's thoughts on going down wheel sizes/skating small wheels? I'm thinking about trying out some 50mm after years of 52mm. I know that's not a big jump, but I'm hoping for less wheelbite and less interference on nose/tailslides. Has anyone sized down and liked it/didn't like it?
[close]
I have ridden 52mm only since my first set up but I have been wanting to size down for a while now.

Well I just got some 50mm classics (F4's) and rode them all day with no wheel bite and my noseslides on curbs felt as good as ever.

Plus I ride an 8.5 with 149 Indys and I love the look of a super small wheel on it!

I'm with you!

Currently attempting to re-build one of my favorties setups: 8.3, low 149s (haven't decided yet, the old setup had the old thudne 149s back when they were super low) and skinny small wheels:

Got the deck and wheels, just need trucks!
« Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 04:17:00 PM by Xen »

Switch_fsflip_noseslide

• Rep: -27
  • Nobody steals from Creed Bratton
« Reply #1299 on: September 18, 2018, 02:53:17 PM »
Got two sets of dialtone wheels. Both skate great. Fast with no flatspots.

54mms conical and 52 grove conical.

Waiting to skate the kader spitfire 58mm
"Giovanni Reda sleeps with the fishes"

tangar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 64
  • THINK LESS
« Reply #1300 on: September 18, 2018, 07:40:50 PM »
Do those Kaders have 1 different colored wheel or something? Or did I miss his name on them?
Man the long board truck thing killed indy for me. I was willing to set aside the racism, but long boarding, gtfo... - DH

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1301 on: September 18, 2018, 08:15:04 PM »
Do those Kaders have 1 different colored wheel or something? Or did I miss his name on them?

It's just a colorway (green ink/font).

fartface

• Rep: 8
« Reply #1302 on: September 19, 2018, 02:16:49 AM »
Im thinking about upsizing my wheels from a conical full 54mm 99 to a 56mm classics full 99.
Have any of you guys had any experince with that?

"Childhood diabetes on lock"

BMCsteve

• Rep: 54
« Reply #1303 on: September 19, 2018, 07:22:24 AM »
Im thinking about upsizing my wheels from a conical full 54mm 99 to a 56mm classics full 99.

Depends on what trucks you skate and if you use risers.  on both Ace and Indy 54 to 56 was a big increase in wheelbite with no risers but still somewhat manageable.  If you skate Thunders, forget about it

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1304 on: September 19, 2018, 08:23:20 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Depends on what trucks you skate and if you use risers.  on both Ace and Indy 54 to 56 was a big increase in wheelbite with no risers but still somewhat manageable.  If you skate Thunders, forget about it

At 56 on anything other than Indys with Gravity Cast plates you'll need risers or tight ass trucks.  But hey, Kader does it ;)

burn_to_live

• Rep: -26
  • You had to be there.
« Reply #1305 on: September 20, 2018, 06:45:33 AM »
Are the standard Spitfire Classics any good? I usually skate the F4s, but they are 25 bucks and have the old spitfire logo i really like.
Gonna go down to the Bronx and hang out with the gonx

Jollyoli

• Rep: 91
« Reply #1306 on: September 20, 2018, 06:52:26 AM »
Are the standard Spitfire Classics any good? I usually skate the F4s, but they are 25 bucks and have the old spitfire logo i really like.

Out the box it's all good and the slide is nice and skreetchy but I miss the creamy slide and speed retention of the F4's. Nice to visit but I wouldn't want to live there. You want to live the high life, you have to pay the high rates. F4's are doing the "classic" graphic soon. Check the F4 thread.
Hey, hey, hey. Don't be mean. We don't have to be mean because, remember, no matter where you go, there you are.

burn_to_live

• Rep: -26
  • You had to be there.
« Reply #1307 on: September 20, 2018, 06:49:50 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Out the box it's all good and the slide is nice and skreetchy but I miss the creamy slide and speed retention of the F4's. Nice to visit but I wouldn't want to live there. You want to live the high life, you have to pay the high rates. F4's are doing the "classic" graphic soon. Check the F4 thread.
Ordered em!
Gonna go down to the Bronx and hang out with the gonx

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1308 on: September 20, 2018, 11:10:06 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Heel..........toe.

full of jerks

• Rep: -33
« Reply #1309 on: September 21, 2018, 02:27:04 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Heel..........toe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obHfX-nRfRA

pauline_handsome

• Rep: 2
« Reply #1310 on: September 21, 2018, 09:24:54 PM »
sml wheels are excellent.

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 28
    • tumblr avatar image
« Reply #1311 on: September 21, 2018, 09:44:47 PM »
just picked up a pair of oj super juice for the cruiser/filming board. Stoked to try them out.

Jud Nestorkins

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -59
  • Only YOU can prevent corporate espionage.
« Reply #1312 on: September 22, 2018, 01:00:31 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

The Wayward round slim shape is great, closer to a bones V1 than a classic. Waywards felt slower than F4s to me on smooth concrete.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I'm with you!

Currently attempting to re-build one of my favorties setups: 8.3, low 149s (haven't decided yet, the old setup had the old thudne 149s back when they were super low) and skinny small wheels:

WHAAAA...?! Xen using round/non tablet wheels AND not using the blue bones bushings? What kind of madness is this haha.

bombsaway86

• Rep: 152
« Reply #1313 on: September 25, 2018, 08:22:42 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yes I have, they suck. Soft, slow, crazy grippy. And these were supposed to be a 99 duro or something.

I beg to differ on this one, but then again it depends on what you're riding. I skate vert and big bowls, and the Speedlab Bombshells (57mm, 99a) are one of my favorite wheels. You are correct, they are crazy grippy which is really nice for slick indoor ramps. I currently ride 58mm Bones SPF, and the Bombshells are just as fast. They are actually faster on some ramps depending on the surface.

Bottom line, they certainly don't suck. If you think they are slow, you're not skating hard enough. Go watch some videos of Mark Davenport.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1314 on: September 25, 2018, 10:53:34 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I'm with you!

[close]

WHAAAA...?! Xen using round/non tablet wheels AND not using the blue bones bushings? What kind of madness is this haha.

It's an older set-up (6yrs ago or so?) I loved the way it rode, had zero complaints or OCD; I'm currently trying to replicate it as best I can. Pretty close with what I just set-up.

BMCsteve

• Rep: 54
« Reply #1315 on: September 26, 2018, 05:43:53 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I'm with you!

[close]

[close]

It's an older set-up (6yrs ago or so?) I loved the way it rode, had zero complaints or OCD; I'm currently trying to replicate it as best I can. Pretty close with what I just set-up.

you could try some Destructo D2 "mids".  They're actually 50.75mm high so right around the old thunder 149 height

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1316 on: September 26, 2018, 09:18:23 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I'm with you!

[close]

[close]

[close]

you could try some Destructo D2 "mids".  They're actually 50.75mm high so right around the old thunder 149 height

That's Rob territory, dude. I'll stick to the Thunders, I don't need to go that low, Tis with cast plates are low enough, plus I ride 53s (the only neg on that lurkville was it pitched me like crazy).

pinkbananastatus

• Rep: 10
« Reply #1317 on: September 28, 2018, 09:38:34 AM »
After reading that Nick Boserio interview about skating bigger wheels, along with rewatching Matt Reason's old parts, I'm feeling like jumping up to some bigger wheels. The Spitfire Classics I'm skating now were 55mm when I set them up a few months ago, I'm debating between making a 'big' jump to 58's or just sizing up to 56's, but I'm pretty sure I'm just gonna stick with Spitfire classics either way.

Has anybody been able to compare riding bigger wheels to softer wheels? I had a set of 54mm 95A duro Prize Fighters a while back and loved them. I figure its easier to go faster and retain speed with a bigger wheel, does it roll over rough ground the same way a slightly softer wheel would?
I don't really understand what's going on and I haven't read this thread yet, but I can tell I'm angry.

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
« Reply #1318 on: September 28, 2018, 12:27:50 PM »
After reading that Nick Boserio interview about skating bigger wheels, along with rewatching Matt Reason's old parts, I'm feeling like jumping up to some bigger wheels. The Spitfire Classics I'm skating now were 55mm when I set them up a few months ago, I'm debating between making a 'big' jump to 58's or just sizing up to 56's, but I'm pretty sure I'm just gonna stick with Spitfire classics either way.

Has anybody been able to compare riding bigger wheels to softer wheels? I had a set of 54mm 95A duro Prize Fighters a while back and loved them. I figure its easier to go faster and retain speed with a bigger wheel, does it roll over rough ground the same way a slightly softer wheel would?

where can this interview be found?

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1319 on: September 28, 2018, 02:16:25 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

where can this interview be found?

http://www.villagepsychic.net/blog/the-rules-of-skateboarding-8-nick-boserio