Author Topic: Epicly Later'd: Chocolate Skateboards  (Read 48838 times)

Dark Knight

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 364
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Epicly Later'd: Chocolate Skateboards
« Reply #300 on: November 15, 2014, 07:50:43 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
How could you take away anything but the fact that pro skating fucking sucks from that last part.  It's basically a mediocre paying job that will ACTUALLY pay you for around 8-9 years then leave you with no job (maybe a pro board) and no skills.  Unless you are street leaguing you're fucked.
[close]

getting paid anything to skate, chill and explore the world sounds like a good deal to me.
[close]
yeah it is, the Tim O'connor thing is BS, those dudes have plenty of downtime on tour, theres an old Sal story where he puts a bunch of pros on blast cuz they end up in exotic locals and all they want to do is go to the mall to find colors of airmax's that you can't get in the US. I lot of pros are just lame truthfully, idk if anyone has been to any of the Make  A Wish skate jams in Houston but you will generally find more pros getting drunk in the shitty coragated steel warehouse bar across the street from the park than skating an amazing park raising money for a good cause, and i know any houston heads on here will attest to this.

^ hahaha
So true

ill_Murray

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 401
« Reply #301 on: November 16, 2014, 09:17:15 AM »
Pops is so far removed from both the skate world and just reality in general that any further interviews of him seem pretty pointless. 

Fuck O'Dell for trying to lead the York interviews into some controversy just for the sake of drama. 
ill murray, can you remind me why you think im a kook

Dr Steve Brule

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 68
« Reply #302 on: November 16, 2014, 11:32:00 AM »
Pops is so far removed from both the skate world and just reality in general that any further interviews of him seem pretty pointless. 

Fuck O'Dell for trying to lead the York interviews into some controversy just for the sake of drama. 
I kind of noticed that too.  Mike York is a great dude with a great attitude; thankful for everything - Pops is the opposite
For Your Health

andocom

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 47
« Reply #303 on: November 18, 2014, 02:15:41 AM »
Its comical to hear MJ of all people airing people out about having issues.?  He himself was this // close to getting the boot because of his drinking problem.

I actually think MJ's issues put him in a better position to comment if anything and I haven't heard anything to indicate he was close to getting dumped by sponsors either.

My understanding was that he had a problem with drinking that somewhat stemmed from the amount of work he was putting in, everyone has seen what Marc with his self confessed drinking problem produced. What is Pops excuse, has he ever actually said he had a drug problem? Whatever it was no only was he not producing, have you seem him on a board in the last 5 years? Everything I have seen is bordering on embarrassing, i.e. that board slide in Cherry, jesus.

AsianVegan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 95
« Reply #304 on: November 18, 2014, 04:08:46 AM »
Carroll taking a swipe at Pops too when praising Ben Sanchez was sick.
And after the Pops-MJ-Paolo edit it goes to Daniel Castillo having to work in a weed shop to get by. Not sure that was intentional and I know weed in Cali is different but I found it kinda funny.

ill_Murray

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #305 on: November 18, 2014, 07:53:57 AM »
And after the Pops-MJ-Paolo edit it goes to Daniel Castillo having to work in a weed shop to get by. Not sure that was intentional and I know weed in Cali is different but I found it kinda funny.

I think it was more of a "check out Daniel, dudes working 2 jobs blah blah blah."  I don't think people in CA really consider weed a drug. 

Bagger Vance

• Rep: -10
  • Think I give a fuck bout sparkles?
« Reply #306 on: November 18, 2014, 08:59:19 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I think it was more of a "check out Daniel, dudes working 2 jobs blah blah blah."  I don't think people anywhere really consider weed a drug. 

Monkey_Mcpott

« Reply #307 on: November 18, 2014, 09:46:21 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I think it was more of a "check out Daniel, dudes working 2 jobs blah blah blah."?  I don't think people in CA really consider selling weed a job.? 

ill_Murray

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #308 on: November 18, 2014, 09:52:48 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

I think it was more of a "check out Daniel, dudes working 2 jobs blah blah blah."?  I don't think people in CA really consider selling weed a job.? 
[close]

There's literally thousands of people just in LA that consider providing people with medical marijuana a job. 

Monkey_Mcpott

« Reply #309 on: November 18, 2014, 10:17:09 AM »
I was waiting on an Eldridge interview. I always thought he became pro way too quick. He basically came out with yeah right then shortly later turned pro.

I’m glad people aren’t trying to justify pops anymore, he’s just the fucking worst at procrastinating and using bullshit excuses to work in his favor. Dudes getting a little chubby too.

So nobody likes Raven? I swear his part was one of my favorites in pretty sweet to be honest. I always found Elijah and Stevie pretty bland. I like how good they made Vincent look with his old footage and how he came out of nowhere skating different than the traditional slow tech Los Angeles skaters.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 10:42:44 AM by Monkey_Mcpott »

yeahisaidit

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 94
« Reply #310 on: November 18, 2014, 11:31:51 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I think it was more of a "check out Daniel, dudes working 2 jobs blah blah blah." 

I thought it was sick showing that, especially hearing him comment on life after Chocolate. People have always hated on him for being pro and milking it, but in reality he was friends with these people, skated and over time I'm sure Chocolate as a "family" thought he deserved a pro board having been there since day one.

Now he's no longer pro, and still has the same positive attitude, working at kayo with his friends and selling weed legally at a place where he probably used to get weed from. He's had opportunities and he's made connections and he's used them. Can't knock that.

Aatila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -305
« Reply #311 on: November 18, 2014, 03:27:21 PM »
I was waiting on an Eldridge interview. I always thought he became pro way too quick. He basically came out with yeah right then shortly later turned pro.

I?m glad people aren?t trying to justify pops anymore, he?s just the fucking worst at procrastinating and using bullshit excuses to work in his favor. Dudes getting a little chubby too.

So nobody likes Raven? I swear his part was one of my favorites in pretty sweet to be honest. I always found Elijah and Stevie pretty bland. I like how good they made Vincent look with his old footage and how he came out of nowhere skating different than the traditional slow tech Los Angeles skaters.

i like raven but its pretty apparent that his family's connections helped him get on (nick and joey).  Not to say he dont rip because he definitely holds his weight it would've been rad if he stuck it out on creature and gave it a different flavor.  Him on chocolate is equivalent to when riley hawk was on birdhouse.  Stevie in my opinion actually fits chocolate perfectly along with Vincent.  I'm not sure about elijah he's really good but sort of the odd man out seems more "girl" to me

yungthug

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -34
« Reply #312 on: November 18, 2014, 03:32:46 PM »
Elijah seems to get a lot of hate on this site and I can't seem to figure out why. He went through a weird phase when he was younger, but most people do. He skates gnarly shit with a solid, clean style. He may not be as tech as most of the other riders, but I think Chocolate did good picking him up.

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
« Reply #313 on: November 18, 2014, 04:04:37 PM »
Elijah seems to get a lot of hate on this site and I can't seem to figure out why. He went through a weird phase when he was younger, but most people do. He skates gnarly shit with a solid, clean style. He may not be as tech as most of the other riders, but I think Chocolate did good picking him up.
I don't think anyones hated on his skating outside of people saying he'd fit Anti-Hero better than Chocolate (which for most people on here is at worst a backhanded compliment). People just thought it was weird a kid who used to dress similar to Duffell ended up on a brand like Chocolate. Crailtaps never really had a transition/vert skater outside of Colin McKay who sort of fit due to being part of original plan b and being close to Rick, and i think the only thing he had footage in was less than a minute in Chocolate tour.

ohhyess

• Rep: -43
« Reply #314 on: November 18, 2014, 04:07:42 PM »
Dear Pop's,

You are a faggot.

That is all.

Hairy Ballsagna

• Rep: 32
« Reply #315 on: November 18, 2014, 09:18:02 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
I kind of noticed that too.  Mike York is a great dude with a great attitude; thankful for everything - Pops is the opposite

Sometimes when you interview someone you have to play dumb to get a good answer, and I think that's what O'Dell was doing more so than trying to create controversy. If he wanted to create controversy he probably would have edited out York's insightful answer.

cowboi

• Rep: -17
« Reply #316 on: November 18, 2014, 09:59:08 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Pops is so far removed from both the skate world and just reality in general that any further interviews of him seem pretty pointless.? 

Fuck O'Dell for trying to lead the York interviews into some controversy just for the sake of drama.? 
[close]
I kind of noticed that too.?  Mike York is a great dude with a great attitude; thankful for everything - Pops is the opposite
[close]

Sometimes when you interview someone you have to play dumb to get a good answer, and I think that's what O'Dell was doing more so than trying to create controversy. If he wanted to create controversy he probably would have edited out York's insightful answer.

That's very interesting. Check out me and my boy Strongman's new song, "These Nuts." Here it is -

360 frip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65504
  • -65 G 4 RYFE
« Reply #317 on: November 18, 2014, 10:40:37 PM »
The thing about the e-mail was fucking stupid.

I sit thinking about an email in my outbox that I never sent.

So much so, that even though I really wanted to be in Pretty Sweet, I did nothing and just thought about that unsent e-mail.

Stevie Williams is pretty far up his own ass. He gasses himself in every interview he does.
"I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT PEOPLE LIKE ME AS A MEMBER." Groucho

"Sorry 360 frip, you are banned from using this forum!" HATE

ill_Murray

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #318 on: November 19, 2014, 12:14:07 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

I totally get the concept of letting the other person talk themselves out, using silence to keep the other person talking etc.

I'm just saying, from what I heard, O'dell tried to stir up some shit and the only reason York even agreed to be on the program in the first place was that free advert space for Roller Horror, which I can totally understand. 

Aatila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -305
« Reply #319 on: November 21, 2014, 08:52:35 AM »