Author Topic: How long did it take you to learn 360 flips?  (Read 13754 times)

Mullet Man

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -424
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
How long did it take you to learn 360 flips?
« on: January 10, 2007, 10:12:35 AM »
I have been trying them since '92... and I still can't do 'em.

sfa

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 176
Re: How long did it take you to learn 360 flips?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2007, 10:17:55 AM »
ive been able to ollie and thus learn tricks since 93 i just learned how to do 360 flips for good about a year and a half ago. ive had the trick for short spells in the past though.
I need a coffee

MAGIK INC GROUPIE

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2007, 10:20:23 AM »
it's the backfoot. Fling that bitch. If you want to do it proper, don't do that gay ass split leg thing people are trying to do. Your front foot should be first to catch the board. Keep this thread live and I, along with others will try to work you thru it. For now, just put in your work on it. It'll at least teach you to be comfortable
trying it and setting up for it.

jrock

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2007, 10:53:03 AM »
when I first learned 3 flips, I first did them off of a waxed curb.  The wax coupled with the small drop gave it the time to whip around the extra 90 degrees.  Once I had it wired off of the curb, it was a lot easier to do on flat.  Try it, it might help.

Bruce Wayne

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 27
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2007, 10:54:15 AM »
sanch is right, it's all about the back foot.  back when I learned them, around 90-91, I had to learn it off of a curb.  but that was when boards were boats, so I'm not too sure if that would help you or not.  keep your shoulders square and use that back foot and you should be all right.
sometimes the "things" and "friends" you enjoy the most, will hurt you the most, and play an ultimate factor in how you leave this earth.
-sheffledge
half of you probably cant even tre.

cliff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 720
    • Sml. Wheels avatar image
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2007, 10:56:18 AM »
This one has a spot in my heart. It took me about 7 years hahaha no joke i could only get it 270. I tried it some much when i did learn how to do em it felt really natural. Yeah back foot and shoulders square. good call henrey and bruce.

co

• Rep: 0
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2007, 11:20:37 AM »
yup its all in the backfoot. the point is when you are able to do 'm its one of the easiest tricks (i find m easier then kickflips) and you can do m without thinking about it. watch janoskis trick tip that may help.

bobjohn

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2007, 11:26:19 AM »
I'm not sure what the split leg thing is, however, I try to "airwalk" them like Mr. Lee used to do. I learned them the day that World ad came out with him 360 flipping over the gap and Vallely halfcab method(ing). I also have realized that the "airwalk" method has absolutely nothing to do with how the board flips. It's purely aesthetics. And I do it anyway, or try.

Rusto1

• Rep: -25
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2007, 11:46:01 AM »
ive done abour 10 in my life.
They are not fun for me, and they are kinda scary for some reason.

MAGIK INC GROUPIE

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2007, 12:00:06 PM »
I'm not sure what the split leg thing is, however, I try to "airwalk" them like Mr. Lee used to do. I learned them the day that World ad came out with him 360 flipping over the gap and Vallely halfcab method(ing). I also have realized that the "airwalk" method has absolutely nothing to do with how the board flips. It's purely aesthetics. And I do it anyway, or try.

that doesn't make sense. It does have to do with flip otherwise he'd/you'd be forcing it. Anyone want to throw up a J Lee tre flip  on here so we can see? The split leg thing I'm referring to is when they split their
legs and it is forced, which is NOT how J Lee did them.

eight oh eight

• SLAP Pal
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2007, 12:06:44 PM »
more in the back leg, 360 shove its,  and trying them fakie helped. 
what's a good example of a split legged one?  name?

gub

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 221
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2007, 12:09:02 PM »
holy shit mullet man, the pressure's on now, you have two pros AND batman weighing in here, you better land one....

tehmizzark

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 17
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2007, 12:09:19 PM »
my entire skateboarding career

Anita Cig

• C-SPAN...because the more you know... avatar image
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2007, 12:16:30 PM »
Out of 7 years of skating I've landed maybe a dozen or so, and most of them were in my first 2 years of skating. I didn't skate much for about 2 years and when I starterd skating more I never really learned them.  One of the dozen is captured on film. I'm wearing some nasty looking Circa Muska's and a North Carolina basketball jersey. 2001 was a bad year for my style.
Freeze...don't move...you've been chosen as an extra in the movie adaptation of the sequel to your life.

mikefork

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2007, 12:22:40 PM »
i somehow learned them before i could kickflip just messing around then i lost them when i could kickflip. it took me another year to relearn them

BIG, SWINGING DICK

« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2007, 12:32:53 PM »
If you want to do it proper, don't do that gay ass split leg thing people are trying to do.

You mean how Wade and those dudes do them?  Yeah, that sucks. 

I first landed tre flips in '92, but they were a complete mess.  I dialed them properly in '95.   Sanch is right:  it's all about the back foot.

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1152
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2007, 12:56:31 PM »
holy shit mullet man, the pressure's on now, you have two pros AND batman weighing in here, you better land one....

dont forget Danzig!

hardly art, hardly starving

Lomaz

• Rep: 1
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2007, 01:03:40 PM »
What about Josh Kalis?  He splits his legs.  But I like the way he does them.

Brown Cords

• Ironic Owl Avatar
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2007, 01:04:55 PM »
Dompierres ender in that real video.

Guile

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 368
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2007, 01:06:55 PM »
i dont know what you guys have been smoking but nick palmquist has a mean 3 flip and it sounds like you are hating on the way he does them. if thats the case then there is a very good reason you are no longer pro (being that you are a person who shouldnt have wasted all his earnings on cocaine).
« Last Edit: January 10, 2007, 01:09:09 PM by Guile »
               DGK
              SOME
              TIMES

Brandon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 291
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2007, 01:07:59 PM »
nick palmquist down that big set in san jose...someone had it as an avatar awhile back.

« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2007, 01:28:54 PM »
I learned them in '91(fakie ones also...woo hoo)....not very good ones though.....I got them *dialed* in '93......I eventually learned switch ones right after that(at the time a great S.K.A.T.E. out).....my knees are thrashed and my regular tre is long gone but the switch ones are still there.....wierd.

getting old sucks.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2007, 01:35:06 PM by 1992 »

plastic bench nerd

« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2007, 01:35:38 PM »
only off benches and loading docks when i was 12, now i cant tre flip, i wish i could but i know i cant, some shit just dosent work. id say it took me a month or more of trying (off a bench) it before i could do it.  hardflips, frontside flips and tre flips dont like me.

fullyflared

« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2007, 01:39:16 PM »
but sw bigflips......

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -937
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2007, 01:44:00 PM »
360 flips took me about a year or so, with a few tips from friends. Once I learned them they have become my go to trick over gaps and stuff, just because they are a bit odd. Its all about putting your front foot slightly off to the side of the board at a slight angle (your feet should almost form an "L") make it so your back foot is on the tail so that if you were barefoot you could rap your toes around the tail. Another thing that helps is to put your feet a little closer together than normal for that extra leverage. Then just flick the shit out of it, like Sanch said, with BOTH feet, making sure to whip that back one around, focusing mostly on the shove it aspect of the flip. If your feet are proper the flip will just happen. When you jump for it, really suck your feet up, its gotta spin for a second in the air before you land back on it. Also, at first for me I would kind of fly in front of the board, so don't leap ahead of the board, flick it in front of you. Trying them fakie or on a bank back to fakie is a bit easier at first. The key to this one is in the weird foot position and the fact that you use the back foot a lot more than in most flip tricks. Just keep practicing, try to get the board to flip faster and tighter, just flick 'em and whip 'em around a bunch and you'll get the motion. at first doing it off a bump helped because it gives you extra time in the air and the way your weight transfers works well with them. Hopefully this helps, we all got our achilles heel, mine are frontside flips. But if it makes you feel any better I tried backside smiths for about ten years before I just recently learned them. And because I worked so hard at it it felt that much better.
only off benches and loading docks when i was 12, now i cant tre flip, i wish i could but i know i cant, some shit just dosent work. id say it took me a month or more of trying (off a bench) it before i could do it.  hardflips, frontside flips and tre flips dont like me.

A shocking revelation! didn't you nollie 360 flip into a back tail or something? and fakie tre back nosegrind? Thats weird. Guy just said in his transworld interview that he can only do 'em switch.
And yeah, frontside flips and hardflips don't like me either, I think their just haters though, so I wouldn't worry so much.
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2007, 01:56:03 PM »
I haven't done a frontside flip or a hardflip either since '93....I never could stand how hardflips felt.....so once I learned them it was like whatever.....I burnt myself out on frontside flips....I used to always laugh at those dudes who did frontside flips on flat with the "ultra-fast pivot" ala Ulliud"Shorty" Gonzalez circa New Deal days....

plastic bench nerd

« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2007, 01:59:13 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
nick palmquist down that big set in san jose...someone had it as an avatar awhile back.

nick's are the best ever down gaps, he did this one over a 10 stair hubba, i wish he would of used that trick in the pharmacy video. there is no real way to describe it except the sound of his bearings whistling and the foot stomp grab, i guess you would just have to see it.

eight oh eight

• SLAP Pal
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2007, 02:02:32 PM »
Forgot who mentioned it here, and yeah you can tre flip with pretty much any board, but set-up plays a small role.  I'd imagine a deck with a more in-set wheelbase would be easier to rotate.

plastic bench nerd

« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2007, 02:08:04 PM »
360 flips took me about a year or so, with a few tips from friends. Once I learned them they have become my go to trick over gaps and stuff, just because they are a bit odd. Its all about putting your front foot slightly off to the side of the board at a slight angle (your feet should almost form an "L") make it so your back foot is on the tail so that if you were barefoot you could rap your toes around the tail. Another thing that helps is to put your feet a little closer together than normal for that extra leverage. Then just flick the shit out of it, like Sanch said, with BOTH feet, making sure to whip that back one around, focusing mostly on the shove it aspect of the flip. If your feet are proper the flip will just happen. When you jump for it, really suck your feet up, its gotta spin for a second in the air before you land back on it. Also, at first for me I would kind of fly in front of the board, so don't leap ahead of the board, flick it in front of you. Trying them fakie or on a bank back to fakie is a bit easier at first. The key to this one is in the weird foot position and the fact that you use the back foot a lot more than in most flip tricks. Just keep practicing, try to get the board to flip faster and tighter, just flick 'em and whip 'em around a bunch and you'll get the motion. at first doing it off a bump helped because it gives you extra time in the air and the way your weight transfers works well with them. Hopefully this helps, we all got our achilles heel, mine are frontside flips. But if it makes you feel any better I tried backside smiths for about ten years before I just recently learned them. And because I worked so hard at it it felt that much better.
Expand Quote
[close]

A shocking revelation! didn't you nollie 360 flip into a back tail or something? and fakie tre back nosegrind? Thats weird. Guy just said in his transworld interview that he can only do 'em switch.
And yeah, frontside flips and hardflips don't like me either, I think their just haters though, so I wouldn't worry so much.

fakie, nollie and switch work, but regular ones, maybe every once and awhile on flat. i know, its regular. my trick ability is always random.

im bummed, i kind of lost front foot impossibles and i was planing to take that one down at the double stack contest, ill be traveling by boat to get to melbourne. and if anyone is down to go that would be great! i need someone paddling on the left side during this extreme journey.

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -937
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2007, 02:17:51 PM »
Forgot who mentioned it here, and yeah you can tre flip with pretty much any board, but set-up plays a small role.  I'd imagine a deck with a more in-set wheelbase would be easier to rotate.
Guy's board before they took it off the market the first time had a really pointy tail, perfect for 360 flips.
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out