Author Topic: "if you want to know who controls you, shit on all the flags  (Read 2507 times)

shark tits

"if you want to know who controls you, shit on all the flags
« on: November 10, 2014, 07:01:46 PM »
and see which one gets you arrested." i believe voltaire said that.
[i am aware that it prolly depends where you are when you shit on said flag but still.]
http://www.vice.com/read/we-spoke-to-the-performance-artist-who-was-arrested-for-shitting-on-the-israeli-flag-456

Monty Burns

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -325
  • Release the hounds
Re: "if you want to know who controls you, shit on all the flags
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2014, 09:39:04 PM »
Is this really art ? 2 girls shitting on flags ? Reminds me of that chick who was eating her own period on stage and then a bunch of other artists was loving it ,

tbh I dont have a problem with somebody getting arrested or being fined for burning or shitting on flags .

shark tits

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2014, 10:07:09 PM »
Is this really art ? 2 girls shitting on flags ? Reminds me of that chick who was eating her own period on stage and then a bunch of other artists was loving it ,

tbh I dont have a problem with somebody getting arrested or being fined for burning or shitting on flags .
i don't know what else you'd call it. lowbrow sure but anti-nationalism is saying something. who knows though, maybe israel has it right and nationalism is a good thing. germany usedta think so...?
definitely see what they're doing as more innocuous than killing a human being behind what the flags are sposedta represent.

Monty Burns

• SLAP Pal
  • Release the hounds
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2014, 10:43:06 PM »
where does the line go for what is art and what is not ?

is burning a stack of bibles or a bunch of korans and claiming its a art project make it ok ? what about burning books of science ?

Would it be ok to print a bunch of wanted posters of abortion doctors with private info and then claim its a art project make it ok ?

I would think most countries these days have a rule against destroying their flags ? Usually there has been wars about these flags , people have laid down their lives for it . Politics or not I think its a big no no to do it

I think they would have been arrested or fined in most countries for this ?  Anyways what makes it anti nationalism ? if they shit on the swedish flag I would find it offensive . It wouldnt ruin my day or make me want them to be executed , but it would make me go wtf ?
does that make me a nationalist ? does that really make a powerful statement about anything ?

Is this really a art project that will be rememberd in 100 years ? something powerful like what Da vinci did ? more likely it will be forgotten in 100 seconds . And I dont really think it made any difference besides giving them something to look cool for their art friends ...

shark tits

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2014, 11:06:59 PM »
maybe it's not 'fine art' like the first underworld element video but the thesis that taking a shit on a flag is better than dying for one is i don't know, kind of a good one.
anyone dies for a flag is a nitwit.
they were shitting on as many flags as they could, they might've gotten your country's but the one girl got in trouble for israel even though she shat on palestine too [amongst others].
as to your question, i think in the right context all those things could be art. depends who's doing it, intent, etc.

TheRealDeal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -34
    • TMKF VIDEO avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2014, 11:24:17 PM »
maybe it's not 'fine art' like the first underworld element video but the thesis that taking a shit on a flag is better than dying for one is i don't know, kind of a good one.
anyone dies for a flag is a nitwit.
they were shitting on as many flags as they could, they might've gotten your country's but the one girl got in trouble for israel even though she shat on palestine too [amongst others].
as to your question, i think in the right context all those things could be art. depends who's doing it, intent, etc.

Usually I cringe a bit when I read butthole's post, but I back this one.

shark tits

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2014, 11:41:28 PM »
i like it better when you cringe
<3 shark tits

the snake

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 350
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2014, 12:12:49 AM »
overprotection becomes agression, i'm backing sharktits too

eranka

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 203
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2014, 05:46:00 AM »
As an Israeli im ashamed that the authorities arrested her. thats not freedom of speech.
Lately, mainly after the latest operation in Gaza and the shitty economical state israel is in, the general atmosphere here is becoming more and more extreme and less tolerant and this is a great example.
 My views are pretty left wing and i can feel it every day, hating seems the norm now and even public figures and government figures dont really hold back spewing hate all around. public figures are afraid to show their left wing views because they are viewed as "weak", "anti israeli" and pretty much traitors, a few celebrities caught alot of flak lately for expressing what they think and on the other hand other celebrities are saying the most extreme shit ive heard againt arabs\palestinians and get away with it (some actually gained popularity believe it or not). fuck that.
I dont think its art (or atleast not very good one), but still,arresting her is weak as fuck. it seems like apes took over the country recently.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 05:50:36 AM by eranka »

shark tits

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2014, 05:55:16 AM »
sucks eranka, i think that's how a lot of us feel here or maybe when we're younger and now it's sort of accepted that a lot of our laws are a piece of shit. i wouldn't all the time pick on israel except they're made to sound better than the other countries in our media.

eranka

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 203
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2014, 06:44:36 AM »
its still not that extreme, theres complete freedom of speech to all parties and its not that i feel afraid to speak whats on my mind, but its not shaping up well for the future.

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 155
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2014, 07:07:38 AM »

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

the snake

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2014, 07:41:56 AM »
thanks for sharing eranka

dillanharp

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2014, 08:47:08 AM »
I just had an incredible breakfast burrito, gotta go make some art now.

the snake

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2014, 08:48:34 AM »
I just had an incredible breakfast burrito, gotta go make some art now.
send pics, maybe the shark is back !

ChronicBluntSlider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2014, 09:08:59 AM »

I didn't know Ahmadinejad posted on here.

pinche gringo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 85
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2014, 09:24:10 AM »
where does the line go for what is art and what is not ?
Just my 'useless art degree' holding opinion, but I agree with sharktits that intent is what dictates whether or not something is art. The ability to defend your artistic statement is essentially what qualifies a work as art. Whether or not people 'like' it is another story all together. I don't really have an opinion about shitting on flags or eating your own menstruation and whether or not that qualifies. I generally don't react to shock value and if I had to go further than that I think it's a fairly pedestrian attempt at expressing ire.

Rusty_Berrings

« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2014, 10:25:19 AM »
What was that song called again by Harvey Danger?? Oh yeah, Flagpole Shitta!

JB

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 857
  • Rusty Berrings Roll Forever
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2014, 11:24:17 AM »
What was that song called again by Harvey Danger?? Oh yeah, Flagpole Shitta!

helluva song!  8)

weedpop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 308
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2014, 12:49:07 PM »
if they shit on the swedish flag I would find it offensive . It wouldnt ruin my day or make me want them to be executed , but it would make me go wtf ?
does that make me a nationalist ?

Yes, yes it does. You may not be a rabid, warmongering nationalist, but flags are inanimate scraps of fabric. Your emotional response to them being 'violated' indicates some attachment to the symbolic values of national pride and unity that are associated with them. That's nationlism.

Whether or not this is 'art' has no bearing on whether or not people should be allowed to do it without being arrested. This is nothing like posting the personal info of abortion doctors because, again, no living being is actually being harmed or endangered. This would be an entirely meaningless act if there weren't 'good citizens' like you out there who get offended by people shitting on flags.

Rusty_Berrings

« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2014, 12:51:14 PM »
Masteress of the brown arts.

dillanharp

« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2014, 01:00:25 PM »
My favorite part of the whole thing is that they bought all these flags to shit on and then washed them afterward.

Monty Burns

• SLAP Pal
  • Release the hounds
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2014, 02:36:27 PM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_desecration

What if somebody went down right now and started shitting on the poppy fields at the tower of london ? or started spraying it with manure claiming its a art project against war ? 

Or walking around in a full SS Nazi uniform claiming its a art project to show nazis are still around in this world ?

She was arrested for doing something that was against the law , how is that not fair ? she would have gotten a fine or arrested in other countries too . If you dont think its fair then try to change the laws but it wasnt a conspiracy or something , just the law

Too me this is no better then those people on youtube who do " pranks " where they offend people or push their buttons , grope women and pick fights with people and then claim its a joke , prank or social experiment

ROCKxADIO420

« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2014, 02:39:41 PM »
goddamn it monty get back in the kitchen

Monty Burns

• SLAP Pal
  • Release the hounds
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2014, 02:58:43 PM »
goddamn it monty get back in the kitchen

im back to work on friday , no worries =)

Tracer

• Rep: -65309
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2014, 04:11:23 PM »
you've been rerally coming up short with these threads

Rusty_Berrings

« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2014, 04:15:56 PM »
you've been rerally coming up short with these threads
dude doesn't go for some old school flag shitting.

Bobby Peru

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 613
    • Community Push avatar image
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2014, 08:51:37 PM »

What if somebody went down right now and started shitting on the poppy fields at the tower of london ? or started spraying it with manure claiming its a art project against war ? 

Or walking around in a full SS Nazi uniform claiming its a art project to show nazis are still around in this world ?

She was arrested for doing something that was against the law , how is that not fair ? she would have gotten a fine or arrested in other countries too . If you dont think its fair then try to change the laws but it wasnt a conspiracy or something , just the law

Too me this is no better then those people on youtube who do " pranks " where they offend people or push their buttons , grope women and pick fights with people and then claim its a joke , prank or social experiment

Do you say the same thing when your homies get arrested for skating?

abudabi

« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2014, 10:10:12 PM »
i prefer peter hewitts work personally

Rusty_Berrings

« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2014, 01:19:43 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Do you say the same thing when your homies get arrested for skating?
Flag Shitting is Not A Crime