Author Topic: WEARTESTED: The Emerica Figueroa  (Read 1971 times)

Hercules Rockefeller

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -13
  • i`m a double-bacon-genius-burger.
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
WEARTESTED: The Emerica Figueroa
« on: April 27, 2015, 12:45:59 PM »
new update! the shoe from that one guy with the name that hardly anyone ever spells right.

http://www.weartested.com/emerica-the-figueroa/

chillout

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 9
  • beer
Re: WEARTESTED: The Emerica Figueroa
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2015, 04:19:36 PM »
I hate talking shit, but damn this review is bad. no real information or critical thinking and not nearly enough time spent skating the shoe to even get an idea of the durability. weartested and ripped laces would honestly be better of showing weekly pictures of a shoe until its no longer skateable and then write a short, opinion based write up instead of skating a shoe for a week and saying every shoe is perfect. idk if maybe theres some politics im not aware of but reviewers should be able to actually criticize a shoe

Tracer

• Rep: -65309
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2015, 04:38:59 PM »
They are so narrow

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 978
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2015, 04:47:27 PM »
Love'em! And they are not narrow at all (coming from someone who needs a wide toe box).

The most comfy out of the box show I've ever skated.

Sondor

• Rep: 60
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2015, 12:06:19 AM »
I hate talking shit, but damn this review is bad. no real information or critical thinking and not nearly enough time spent skating the shoe to even get an idea of the durability. weartested and ripped laces would honestly be better of showing weekly pictures of a shoe until its no longer skateable and then write a short, opinion based write up instead of skating a shoe for a week and saying every shoe is perfect. idk if maybe theres some politics im not aware of but reviewers should be able to actually criticize a shoe

The thing is, they need to change their scoring system. Giving a 9/10 or 10/10 is too common in their reviews, nowdays. A 10/10 should mean that it is the perfect shoe ever, while a 5/10 means it's average (maybe they could compare it to most common skate shoe today, the Janoski or someting like that) . Reviewers must be more biased towards modern shoes.

Hercules Rockefeller

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2015, 12:53:31 AM »
Love'em! And they are not narrow at all (coming from someone who needs a wide toe box).

i didnt do the review this time, but i bought them for myself because i really loved the Romero Laced. Granted, i have wider feet but goddamn those shoes really taught me the meaning of "breaking in". my feet felt numb for the first 15 minutes. now i could hardly imagine a much more comfortable shoe, but damn, they did prove my patience.

no worries about talking shit, i actually like that, helps us improve. skating a shoe until it is destroyed would lead to significantly less reviews, at least on our end since we do not have a team of 15 people skating and reviewing shoes. plus its hardly possible to skate the same amount every week, sometimes you break boards and skate the shoe with newer griptape again, and so on.
i totally understand your point, but its simply near damn impossible for a non-profit-site.
to the point about criticizing a shoe: if you read our last few reviews, we did put critique in there. granted, we will never use phrases like "fuck, dat shoe skates like my bae during that time of the month, dat colorway tho", but we put our share of opinion in there. this time, we simply really liked the shoe, and if you try it we are pretty sure that you would too.

The thing is, they need to change their scoring system. Giving a 9/10 or 10/10 is too common in their reviews, nowdays. A 10/10 should mean that it is the perfect shoe ever, while a 5/10 means it's average (maybe they could compare it to most common skate shoe today, the Janoski or someting like that) . Reviewers must be more biased towards modern shoes.

thanks for the input. we decided against a scoring system simply because we have a small team of people skating a shoe, but hardly ever more than one gets the same (hell, we would love to get more than one pair for every test though).
this leads to the problem that different preferences would lead to different scoring, if i got a nike tech shoe i would surely rate it differently than some clean vulc shoe simply because i prefer the latter. the point with being biased towards modern shoes is another example why a rating system isnt optimal, imagine scoring a modern skateshoe with a rating system of like 3 or 4 years ago.

that being said, thanks for the input of all you guys, we`ll surely keep them in mind.

Paul Cicero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -302
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2015, 03:02:17 AM »
They remind me heaps of Spanly's shoe, which I loved.

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
    • Instagram avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2015, 03:24:54 AM »
I have this shoe, the summary is pretty accurate imo

ontheswarm

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2015, 03:09:56 PM »
Right when I tried the shoe on I felt I could go outside and skate. Love that its a cupsole slip on in a sense also. I actually went out and bought a second pair of the grey ones since I liked them so much. Really loving this shoe.

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 381
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2015, 04:51:09 PM »
Is there an extra layer under the suede because if a hole is starting after 10 hours already, the toe will probably begin falling apart super quickly since that hole has started.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 978
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2015, 05:10:35 PM »
Right when I tried the shoe on I felt I could go outside and skate. Love that its a cupsole slip on in a sense also. I actually went out and bought a second pair of the grey ones since I liked them so much. Really loving this shoe.

Local tactics has a buy one get one 50% off, bought to pair.

I was looking for a cup that feels like a vulc that is also snug for a while now + it's super basic.

chillout

• SLAP Pal
  • beer
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2015, 05:29:56 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

i didnt do the review this time, but i bought them for myself because i really loved the Romero Laced. Granted, i have wider feet but goddamn those shoes really taught me the meaning of "breaking in". my feet felt numb for the first 15 minutes. now i could hardly imagine a much more comfortable shoe, but damn, they did prove my patience.

Expand Quote
[close]

no worries about talking shit, i actually like that, helps us improve. skating a shoe until it is destroyed would lead to significantly less reviews, at least on our end since we do not have a team of 15 people skating and reviewing shoes. plus its hardly possible to skate the same amount every week, sometimes you break boards and skate the shoe with newer griptape again, and so on.
i totally understand your point, but its simply near damn impossible for a non-profit-site.
to the point about criticizing a shoe: if you read our last few reviews, we did put critique in there. granted, we will never use phrases like "fuck, dat shoe skates like my bae during that time of the month, dat colorway tho", but we put our share of opinion in there. this time, we simply really liked the shoe, and if you try it we are pretty sure that you would too.

Expand Quote
[close]

thanks for the input. we decided against a scoring system simply because we have a small team of people skating a shoe, but hardly ever more than one gets the same (hell, we would love to get more than one pair for every test though).
this leads to the problem that different preferences would lead to different scoring, if i got a nike tech shoe i would surely rate it differently than some clean vulc shoe simply because i prefer the latter. the point with being biased towards modern shoes is another example why a rating system isnt optimal, imagine scoring a modern skateshoe with a rating system of like 3 or 4 years ago.

that being said, thanks for the input of all you guys, we`ll surely keep them in mind.

yeah, I imagine it can be difficult doing a bunch of reviews without any real profit or incentive while you've got responsibilities in your personal lives. I wasn't sure if there was some kind of behind the scenes shit where shoe companies give you shoes with the understanding that you give good reviews. I forget if it was you guys or ripped laces that did a video review where they sent the shoes to some random kid that rides for a skateshop, filmed a little part, and skated them til they were dead. that was a really nice format

chillout

• SLAP Pal
  • beer
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2015, 05:31:19 PM »
also ive been skating the figgys for a good month and I love them. I have a pretty wide food and it was a little constricting at first. I feel like the suede on the brown and gum colorway is thinner/weaker than normal suede as well. best shoe out right now imo

heritage

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 98
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2015, 01:03:49 PM »
also ive been skating the figgys for a good month and I love them. I have a pretty wide food and it was a little constricting at first. I feel like the suede on the brown and gum colorway is thinner/weaker than normal suede as well. best shoe out right now imo

I wonder if it's something with a bad batch of brown suede Emerica is getting from their mill. I had a pair of Romero Laced in that exact brown suede (gum sole) and literally in two sessions a blowout happened on the flex point on the inside part the right shoe. So, think where the ollie hole is and then go straight across your toes to the other side of the shoe. Weird place to have a rip or blowout.

Hercules Rockefeller

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2015, 06:16:48 AM »
it kinda seems odd, i`ve had friends skate the brown figgy for a month nearly every day, holding up fine. my black romero laced proved to be nearly indestructible as well.