Author Topic: Grip  (Read 9457 times)

2thick

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -63
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
Grip
« on: November 25, 2014, 07:21:19 PM »
I thought this would be interesting. What brands do you guys prefer for your grip and why? Any wierd superstitions or things you do with it? Do you leave it plain or draw on it or give it one of those complicated welcome grip jobs?

posguy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -54
Re: Grip
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2014, 07:28:50 PM »
I used to do the line across the bottom but grew into doing solid grip and just now I've got the top nose in tye dye and the rest black. I'm digging the new look. I use Mob and Grizzly for the tye dye.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 938
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2014, 07:37:44 PM »
MOB and usually all black, no designs.

Really digging the MOB M-80.

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 525
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2014, 07:41:30 PM »
always mob, i go back and forth between solid black or a colored strip or whatever i'm feeling at the time, the one i've currently gripped i started off liking now i'm over it, next board i've gripped is a mix of black solid and black with little paint splatters, but i'm always on the lookout for a decent graphic mob too cut up and experiment with

BMCsteve

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2014, 07:57:08 PM »
I've always skated regular Mob until Mob M-80 came out.  I LOVE it.  everything that rules about mob but it doesnt destroy your shoes as much

one80

• Rep: 14
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2014, 08:20:11 PM »
strictly black mob. pretty boring

fulfillthedream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 305
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2014, 09:00:36 PM »
I've always skated regular Mob until Mob M-80 came out.  I LOVE it.  everything that rules about mob but it doesnt destroy your shoes as much

what's the difference between the two mob grip types? to be honest i've never really skated some grip and been like "oh yeah this shit works better than x brand grip" - i got a lotta sheets of grizzly grip for free once and it was horrible while i'd cut it so i ended up giving the grip to some kids here in China that made them happy as hell.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 09:32:11 PM by fulfillthedream »
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

pointandclick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 243
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2014, 09:09:10 PM »
Expand Quote
I've always skated regular Mob until Mob M-80 came out.  I LOVE it.  everything that rules about mob but it doesnt destroy your shoes as much
[close]

what's the difference between the two mob grip types? to be honest i've never really skated some grip and been like "oh yeah this shit works better than x brand grip" - i got a lotta sheers of grizzly grip for free once and it was horrible while i'd cut it so i ended up giving the grip to some kids here in China that made them happy as hell.
m-80 is a finer grip that isnt as abrasive but still is sticky, its a good inbetween for jessup and regular mob. not too grippy, not too slippy.

skate

• Rep: -16
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2014, 09:15:02 PM »

Jive Turkey

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 93
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2014, 09:16:29 PM »
Am I the only one who finds Mob to be stiff and easy to tear?

MOE SYZLAK

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 800
  • "I never got to taste cantaloupe"
    • Cassette Skate Shop avatar image
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2014, 10:34:16 PM »
Been skating Black Magic since 96 , Just started working for a Grip company called Reality, so thats what ill be skating now, kinda nervous but still stoked.   

samsk8

• Rep: -26
  • maddd propzzz
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2014, 01:21:14 AM »
diamond supply co, cut that shit with a butter knife yo.
bomb ur mutha f**kn city!!

Dole

• Rep: 3
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2014, 03:38:34 AM »
Skate whatever grip i get. It doesn't really matter because the decks usually last 2-3 weeks tops if it's primarly street skating. Though it's noticeable that some grips wear out in a couple of days while mobs or jessups last a little longer IMO but still it's all good.

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2014, 03:50:43 AM »
Always just straight black, no lines or graphics. It would just throw me off way too much.
I'll pretty much skate whatever grip as long as it's black, but I end up getting Jessup most of the time just because it's always free with boards or it's always the cheapest.
They all have their advantages and disadvantages.
Jessup is really malleable feeling and tends to shred up at the edges the easiest from my experience. The grip also wears out the easiest, so after a while it might feel slipperier than it should.
Mob is really stiff feeling, which makes it easier to trim, but I know people who don't like it because of the stiffness. It's too grippy a lot of times; usually when I get mob I always have to run over the whole top with grip tape scraps to make it not so damn grippy.
Black Magic wasn't too bad either the few times I've ridden it. Kinda hard to trim though but it felt alright. It felt like a slightly grippier Jessup.
Point distribution makes grip that feels just like mob; trims like butter and its super hard to shred or tear up the edges. If you can get ahold of any in your area you should definitely try it out.
Also had a sheet of mini logo grip and all black SJ grip that wasn't too bad either.
And as for the m80 mob, I tried out a friends board who had it. It felt just like Jessup. It looked like Jessup too (that shiny look).
« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 03:53:47 AM by Noble Experiment »

2thick

• Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2014, 08:01:32 AM »

artsy

• Rep: 14
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2014, 11:41:32 AM »
plain black jessup is fine with me

Loyal Pawn

• Rep: 7
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2014, 01:11:13 PM »
Been skating filmbot the last three boards.I perfer it too MOB

2thick

« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2014, 01:13:11 PM »
was actually considering that or paradox for my next board. How is it/ how does it compare to mob?

256 Ply

• Rep: 22
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2014, 01:31:55 PM »
Am I the only one who finds Mob to be stiff and easy to tear?

It is.

The perforations are useless, because the problem isn't bubbling, but that it's too stiff.
It's more likely to wrinkle than bubble, especially on a board with a really deep concave.

Never roll up a sheet of Mob too tightly, it'll crack and crease.

But they fixed that with M-80 which is Mob's version of Jessup.

TehPwnzorer

• Rep: -17
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2014, 02:19:48 PM »
Jessup. Every deck comes with a free Jessup griptape no matter where I buy it from as long as it's within the country. I take whatever is free. Jessup.

Loyal Pawn

• Rep: 7
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2014, 03:23:47 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
was actually considering that or paradox for my next board. How is it/ how does it compare to mob?

It's a softer grip.takes a session to get used too.But once you do,it's amazing.

shredstix

• Rep: -5
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2014, 07:33:45 PM »
Why does it seem like everyone prefers mob to jessup? I've been using jessup for years and never had a problem

2thick

« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2014, 08:24:48 PM »
Why does it seem like everyone prefers mob to jessup? I've been using jessup for years and never had a problem
There's nothing wrong with it, maybe people just prefer mob? That's like asking why people prefer a certain size board. They just do

Randozzi

« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2014, 10:09:26 PM »
anyone remember Old Scratch grip? think the Eastern Boarder cats were behind it. that was some good shit.

256 Ply

• Rep: 22
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2014, 02:33:48 AM »

I'll tell you some reasons why, both in product quality differences as well as some skate-industry politics you might find interesting. Not because I necessarily agree with all of them though.

-Mob is grippier than Jessup, if that's your thing. (Standard Mob griptape that is. Those seeking a Jessup-like grip now have M-80).    

-Mob lasts longer. Maybe because it's grippier off the bat, but the grit itself does last longer. Jessup tends to wear out or get "flat" faster than Mob, if your board lasts that long.

-Some people feel the quality of Jessup got worse when they quietly switched from the US to overseas for manufacturing.   

-Mob is better marketed than Jessup (they have full page ads in Thrasher every month) so it has better brand recognition .

-Mob is skater-owned (NHS), and supports skateboarding and pros moreso than Jessup. Jessup is an industrial non-skid tape manufacturer and skate griptape is just one of their many products that they make. See: http://www.jessupmfg.com/    

-Many skate industry people were upset how Jessup treated Bud Smith, the former Jessup Griptape manager who made them the dominant brand in griptape and the industry standard. He was so highly regarded that NHS immediately hired him after he'd been unceremoniously fired from Jessup. See: http://www.axsgear.com/blog/longboard-business-market/axs-profile-mr-griptape/

360 frip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65505
  • -65 G 4 RYFE
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2014, 03:32:04 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I'll tell you some reasons why, both in product quality differences as well as some skate-industry politics you might find interesting. Not because I necessarily agree with all of them though.

-Mob is grippier than Jessup, if that's your thing. (Standard Mob griptape that is. Those seeking a Jessup-like grip now have M-80).    

-Mob lasts longer. Maybe because it's grippier off the bat, but the grit itself does last longer. Jessup tends to wear out or get "flat" faster than Mob, if your board lasts that long.

-Some people feel the quality of Jessup got worse when they quietly switched from the US to overseas for manufacturing.   

-Mob is better marketed than Jessup (they have full page ads in Thrasher every month) so it has better brand recognition .

-Mob is skater-owned (NHS), and supports skateboarding and pros moreso than Jessup. Jessup is an industrial non-skid tape manufacturer and skate griptape is just one of their many products that they make. See: http://www.jessupmfg.com/    

-Many skate industry people were upset how Jessup treated Bud Smith, the former Jessup Griptape manager who made them the dominant brand in griptape and the industry standard. He was so highly regarded that NHS immediately hired him after he'd been unceremoniously fired from Jessup. See: http://www.axsgear.com/blog/longboard-business-market/axs-profile-mr-griptape/

Industry things aside, I can't see much difference in quality at all. I'd probably ride Jessup over Mob as it takes less time to wear in.
"I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT PEOPLE LIKE ME AS A MEMBER." Groucho

"Sorry 360 frip, you are banned from using this forum!" HATE

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2014, 09:28:54 AM »
I found Paradox to be flakey.....

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2014, 10:13:27 AM »
I had a sheet once and I remembered that the edges would chip/peel away super easily. Made my board look like shit after just a few sessions. That's the one thing I can't stand about grip the most, when it chips and tears away at the edges really easily. I can understand that happening if your board lands upside down on a curb or something similar to that, but having that happen just from skating flat? It happens with Jessup quite often but not too bad. Mob doesn't really chip or tear at the edges as easily. But as mentioned earlier, if it gets wrinkled you're fucked. It'll leave these white crack marks and the grip will constantly rise up wherever it was wrinkled.

skate

• Rep: -16
« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2014, 12:08:22 PM »

I tried Paradox once. The grit in the flick area smoothed out over time. Never again... just give me Jessup

iwishilivedinfinla

« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2014, 12:10:09 PM »
i got a roll of jessup for 35 bucks on ebay a few months ago.  I'm set for a few years at a fraction of the price.